Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/22/2014 2:41:43 PM EDT
And I thought ARFCOM staff could be harsh...

Mr Grayling told the newspaper: "These internet trolls are cowards who are poisoning our national life.

"No-one would permit such venom in person, so there should be no place for it on social media. That is why we are determined to quadruple the current six-month sentence."
View Quote

"This is a law to combat cruelty - and marks our determination to take a stand against a baying cyber-mob.

"We must send out a clear message - if you troll you risk being behind bars for two years."
View Quote

Link.

Looks like our British friends had best censor themselves!  First no guns, now THIS?  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Hurt feelings in 3,2,1
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck Britain, and anyone who wants the US to follow their examples.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Malicious Communications Act 1988
Offence of sending letters etc. with intent to cause distress or anxiety.

(1)Any person who sends to another person— .
(a)a letter, electronic communication or article of any description which conveys— .
(i)a message which is indecent or grossly offensive; .
(ii)a threat; or .
(iii)information which is false and known or believed to be false by the sender; or
View Quote

So lying and perverted/racist jokes are illegal, what the fuck?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#4]
TL only skimmed but there is a difference between trolling and threating physical violence.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Jail time for online comments?  Fuck that noise so hard.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#6]
First, I read this
Richard Madeley has said "prosecution awaits" those who sent "sick rape threats" to his daughter
View Quote
and thought that prosecution sounds appropriate, and it does sound appropriate in that case.

Then, I read the law

(1)Any person who sends to another person—

(a)a [letter, electronic communication or article of any description] which conveys—

(i)a message which is indecent or grossly offensive;

(ii)a threat; or

(iii)information which is false and known or believed to be false by the sender; or

(b)any [article or electronic communication] which is, in whole or part, of an indecent or grossly offensive nature,

is guilty of an offence if his purpose, or one of his purposes, in sending it is that it should, so far as falling within paragraph (a) or (b) above, cause distress or anxiety to the recipient or to any other person to whom he intends that it or its contents or nature should be communicated.

(2)A person is not guilty of an offence by virtue of subsection (1)(a)(ii) above if he shows—

(a)that the threat was used to reinforce a demand [made by him on reasonable grounds]; and

(b)that he believed [, and had reasonable grounds for believing,] that the use of the threat was a proper means of reinforcing the demand.

[(2A)In this section “electronic communication” includes—

(a)any oral or other communication by means of a telecommunication system (within the meaning of the Telecommunications Act 1984 (c. 12)); and

(b)any communication (however sent) that is in electronic form.]

(3)In this section references to sending include references to delivering [or transmitting] and to causing to be sent [, delivered or transmitted] and “sender” shall be construed accordingly.

(4)A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to [imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or to both].
View Quote

and thought, yeah, that seems a bit much.

So, forge ahead, my Brit bashing chums.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(a)a letter, electronic communication or article of any description which conveys— .

(ii)a threat; or .

Fuck The Queen.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I would like to troll this person.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

(ii)a threat; or .

holy shit! thats like 99% of the internet
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
First, I read this  and thought that prosecution sounds appropriate, and it does sound appropriate in that case.

Then, I read the law

View All Quotes
Quoted:
First, I read this
Richard Madeley has said "prosecution awaits" those who sent "sick rape threats" to his daughter
and thought that prosecution sounds appropriate, and it does sound appropriate in that case.

Then, I read the law

(1)Any person who sends to another person—

(a)a [letter, electronic communication or article of any description] which conveys—

(i)a message which is indecent or grossly offensive;

(ii)a threat; or

(b)any [article or electronic communication] which is, in whole or part, of an indecent or grossly offensive nature,

is guilty of an offence if his purpose, or one of his purposes, in sending it is that it should, so far as falling within paragraph (a) or (b) above, cause distress or anxiety to the recipient or to any other person to whom he intends that it or its contents or nature should be communicated.

(2)A person is not guilty of an offence by virtue of subsection (1)(a)(ii) above if he shows—

(a)that the threat was used to reinforce a demand [made by him on reasonable grounds]; and

(b)that he believed [, and had reasonable grounds for believing,] that the use of the threat was a proper means of reinforcing the demand.

[(2A)In this section “electronic communication” includes—

(a)any oral or other communication by means of a telecommunication system (within the meaning of the Telecommunications Act 1984 (c. 12)); and

(b)any communication (however sent) that is in electronic form.]

(3)In this section references to sending include references to delivering [or transmitting] and to causing to be sent [, delivered or transmitted] and “sender” shall be construed accordingly.

(4)A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to [imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or to both].

Yeah, the cases that are mentioned are disgusting, but the law is equally so.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Are they fucking nuts?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#12]
thank you founding fathers AGAIN for your incredible wisdom and foresight on limiting govt intrusions on me. the bill of rights, the gift that keeps on giving...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
thank you founding fathers AGAIN for your incredible wisdom and foresight on limiting govt intrusions on me. the bill of rights, the gift that keeps on giving...
View Quote

What country are you living in?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

the other 1% post on arfcom with it's COC

i can see why it came about and sort of see a need in some extreme cases , BUT it will be abused , new laws always are

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn, that's messed up.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fuck The Queen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(ii)a threat; or .

Fuck The Queen.

What's Elton John have to do with this?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not great britain, and you think things are bad now? without these in place you would be completely fucked, like they are in britain...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How long have you lived in Britain that makes you, a sisterfucking redneck from Buttfuck Alabama, an authority on Britain?
View Quote

I've been to Buttfuck Alabama and it's really not as bad as people make it out to be.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Really?

How long have you lived in Britain that makes you, a sisterfucking redneck from Buttfuck Alabama, an authority on Britain?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not great britain, and you think things are bad now? without these in place you would be completely fucked, like they are in britain...

Really?

lol, been to london many times, have friends there and try this sometime, i also read about european news....
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've been to Buttfuck Alabama and it's really not as bad as people make it out to be.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

better than Suriname...We have  dairy queens...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
lol, been to london many times, have friends there and try this sometime, i also read about european news....
View Quote

I read about european news once, it was dreadful.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

"I eat a burger once, now I'm a qualified sous chef"
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Fuck him.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#26]
1. go to British web sites
2. troll
3. ????
4. profit
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Does this include when politicians send you their lies?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Really?

That was a bit much-Aimless
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Is there a toll free number for a police station he can call from buttfuck alabama to file a criminal complaint against you?  

That was "indecent" and "Grossly offensive"
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#29]
So if I join some Brit forum and accuse someone of turning me into a newt I'll end up in prison?

Fuck it I'm all in.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Someone is about to get the full facefucking of Anon/4chan/lulz etc etc.

Holy shit.

It better be epic.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#31]
The act's sponsor looks like Creedy in V for Vendetta.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#32]
They'd need a jail for just 4chan.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
1. go to British web sites
2. troll
3. ????
4. profit
View Quote

Why do you think we are here :)
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

They'd need a jail for just 4chan.
View Quote

What happens if they get to use their wifi?  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

I don't know what he said Aimless, but I trust it was an inevitable reaction to the constant bashing this poor guy has to endure, through no fault of his own. Go easy on him.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't know what he said Aimless, but I trust it was an inevitable reaction to the constant bashing this poor guy has to endure, through no fault of his own. Go easy on him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Plus he's got all dem teeth and no toothbrush or modern dentistry.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

funky keeps his teef in a box under the bed

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone got any good British sites I can troll?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#39]
That is a pretty good idea if you think about it. We should have some sort of law against trolls here in the US to help keep cyber bullying at bay. A two year sentence is a good start. All trolling will stop.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That is a pretty good idea if you think about it. We should have some sort of law against trolls here in the US to help keep cyber bullying at bay. A two year sentence is a good start. All trolling will stop.
View Quote

I hope you're kidding.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure if serious...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#42]
There's a huge difference between calling someone an asshole, and fucking with someone(threatening phone calls, stealing their photos, trying to AROCK them).

Having been on the latter, if you try to get someone's job lost or fuck with their family, then yes, that's something that should be dealt with severely.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Uh oh.[peek]

What British websites should Sign up for?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There's a huge difference between calling someone an asshole, and fucking with someone(threatening phone calls, stealing their photos, trying to AROCK them).

Having been on the latter, if you try to get someone's job lost or fuck with their family, then yes, that's something that should be dealt with severely.

View Quote

You've Arocked people?

Why?

And who?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

(ii)a threat; or .

So a politician who lies in campaign adds could serve time?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Should make them wear an XBOX live head set go into some COD or GTA rooms.

Their heads would explode.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Aww, was the queen's subject's feelings hurt?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

I laughed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top