Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:22:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I worked at Midway Chevy in Phoenix on Bell Rd. for a few months as a sales monkey. Shittiest.Job.Ever. That place was so damned crooked, it was rediculous. Swiping and hijacking people's keys, credit cards, driver's licenses, it was all the norm. Fuck those people, that dealership, and everyone associated with that place.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:28:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I worked at Midway Chevy in Phoenix on Bell Rd. for a few months as a sales monkey. Shittiest.Job.Ever. That place was so damned crooked, it was rediculous. Swiping and hijacking people's keys, credit cards, driver's licenses, it was all the norm. Fuck those people, that dealership, and everyone associated with that place.
View Quote

That is one of the Van Tuyl stores I was talking about...  Crazy to think they used to be the #1 Chevy dealer in the country.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:53:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Repeal the ridiculous laws which allow dealerships to exist in the first place and let the manufacturers sell directly to people.
View Quote
free the trade

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:14:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

The one I worked for had two guys from the front borrow a demo to go clubbing and returned it with bullet holes in the driver's door put there during a high speed chase. Another floor guy was "lending" out new cars in exchange for crack. Another was caught stealing customer down payments. And yet another floor person (female) was giving out BJs if you bought a car through her. Finance managers and floor guys involved in physical altercations with customers on the showroom floor over "lost" money. Two asshats put peep show webcams under some clerical dept desks; there were no angels in clerical either. Coke parties. The list goes on and on.

That's the mentality I witnessed during my short stint as a tech at a stealership and I knew I had to go.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:16:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Double tap
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:29:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Some of you are so clueless...  Damn near every single one of whiners in here all say the same thing.  "Why didn't you just discount it another $50 in the first place?  blah blah blah."

The reason is that I've already discounted the vehicle either all the way or damn fuckin' near to where there is $0 margin left and you're now doing it to kick out another unit.

It's like if you reverse the situation to where you're buying something at an auction.  Your max bid is $100, the winning bid is $101.  Would you have thrown in the extra $2 to claim the winning bid?  Of course you would have because it is such an insignificant amount to lose a bid by that you would toss in the couple bucks to make the deal.  Putting things back in perspective, the car dealer is already at their "max bid" and the dealer down the street got a case of the fuck its and bid the extra dollar because he why not, right?!  Where the fucked part in the reality of the situation is, the first dealer, still wanting to sell the unit, doesn't get throw in one last bid before it's sold and is undercut by a proverbial dollar.

I guess that's painfully difficult for a surprising amount of people in this thread to understand.

And as a side note, the anti-capitalism reeking from this thread is ridiculous.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The sales model needs to change and move away from the traditional good cop (sales guy), bad cop (sales manager), high pressure, wear down the consumer and don't let the leave the lot without a sale way it still is today. As soon as that changes, perceptions will change.

The biggest reason for wanting to do business that day is because the dealership doesn't want to lose your business when you go down the street and shop them and that dealership undercuts them by $50 and they lose the sale over a stupidly insignificant amount of money.  It happens daily and is honestly a shitty thing for the consumer to do.  The salesman that just spent the past several hours with you showing you different vehicles and options, etc. doesn't get paid an hourly wage.  He gets paid if you buy the car or not.

That right there is the biggest pile of entitlement bullshit I hear dealers and salesmen speak (yes, was in the industry, not in sales).  Oh, so sorry your pissed about the consumer wanting to save $50 or $100 on his/her $40,000 purchase.  $50 isn't worth the trouble?  

Then why didn't you knock YOUR price down that $50?  For that matter, if it's such an insignificant amount how about you reach into your pocket and start handing out $50 bills to all the customers?

When I'm buying a car I don't know the salesmen, the owner of the lot, or the manager.  I don't owe them any favors, and I sure as hell don't owe them an extra $50 when their competitor is willing to give me a better deal.

Some of you are so clueless...  Damn near every single one of whiners in here all say the same thing.  "Why didn't you just discount it another $50 in the first place?  blah blah blah."

The reason is that I've already discounted the vehicle either all the way or damn fuckin' near to where there is $0 margin left and you're now doing it to kick out another unit.

It's like if you reverse the situation to where you're buying something at an auction.  Your max bid is $100, the winning bid is $101.  Would you have thrown in the extra $2 to claim the winning bid?  Of course you would have because it is such an insignificant amount to lose a bid by that you would toss in the couple bucks to make the deal.  Putting things back in perspective, the car dealer is already at their "max bid" and the dealer down the street got a case of the fuck its and bid the extra dollar because he why not, right?!  Where the fucked part in the reality of the situation is, the first dealer, still wanting to sell the unit, doesn't get throw in one last bid before it's sold and is undercut by a proverbial dollar.

I guess that's painfully difficult for a surprising amount of people in this thread to understand.

And as a side note, the anti-capitalism reeking from this thread is ridiculous.

Car dealerships in and of themselves are about as un-capatalistic as you can get, considering they are forced to be by laws.  Anything else that anybody has said in this thread pales in comparison to that little tidbit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:35:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The one I worked for had two guys from the front borrow a demo to go clubbing and returned it with bullet holes in the driver's door put there during a high speed chase. Another floor guy was "lending" out new cars in exchange for crack. Another was caught stealing customer down payments. And yet another floor person (female) was giving out BJs if you bought a car through her. Finance managers and floor guys involved in physical altercations with customers on the showroom floor over "lost" money. Two asshats put peep show webcams under some clerical dept desks; there were no angels in clerical either. Coke parties. The list goes on and on.

That's the mentality I witnessed during my short stint as a tech at a stealership and I knew I had to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That sounds like a pretty fun place to work.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:44:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. They were some of the angriest and unhappiest bunch of folks I've ever met.

ETA: You have to wonder, if that's what they had to resort to to stay happy and keep life interesting, how shitty were their lives in between the moments? Come to think of it, that's a question for a lot of folks in general.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:48:57 AM EDT
[#9]
So  is there a way to undo gap insurance, extended warranties, and shit like that?

Is the service plan usually worth it or are you just paying finance charges on oil changes and brake pads?

You guys keep mentioning the finance guys as the real ass fuckers. What specifically is there to watch out for with those guys?

I'm terrible at poker.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:54:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So  is there a way to undo gap insurance, extended warranties, and shit like that?

Is the service plan usually worth it or are you just paying finance charges on oil changes and brake pads?

You guys keep mentioning the finance guys as the real ass fuckers. What specifically is there to watch out for with those guys?

I'm terrible at poker.

View Quote

Go in with your own financing. They looooove that - Not really. And all that other stuff - No, No, No. Are you really going to finance a warranty or service plan (paying interest on that for X amount of years)?

ETA: I've seen junkyard motors go into cars under some aftermarket extended warranties, BTW.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:55:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You're exactly the person this article was written towards.  Did you even read it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know where I think car dealers stand on the 'Ron White microphone stand' totem pole?
Yeah.....
No sympathy.

You're exactly the person this article was written towards.  Did you even read it?

I read it.  I could smell the bullshit from central europe.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:56:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
At the end of the day, a car dealership is still a retail store and have the right to ask a retail price.  What this article points out is that if you simply do your homework and enter into the dealership with that information, you're going to walk away with a good car deal and ideally a good car buying experience.

Many dealerships nowadays operate on a volume sales strategy.  We just want to move units.

View Quote

Your job need not exist, and the manufacturer could still move units.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:58:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The biggest reason for wanting to do business that day is because the dealership doesn't want to lose your business when you go down the street and shop them and that dealership undercuts them by $50 and they lose the sale over a stupidly insignificant amount of money.  It happens daily and is honestly a shitty thing for the consumer to do.  The salesman that just spent the past several hours with you showing you different vehicles and options, etc. doesn't get paid an hourly wage.  He gets paid if you buy the car or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The sales model needs to change and move away from the traditional good cop (sales guy), bad cop (sales manager), high pressure, wear down the consumer and don't let the leave the lot without a sale way it still is today. As soon as that changes, perceptions will change.

Two way street their, bub.  If you want to lose a sale over what you admit is "stupidly insignificant amount of money," then it's indeed your loss.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:03:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm terrible at poker.

View Quote

Undo them? No. However if you're going to purchase them the cost effectiveness of them depends on the car, I got one on the civic I bought in 09 and it paid for itself when I had to replace plastic motor mounts to the tune of $350 a piece. For the most part the shit covered under warranty isn't going to go bad until after the warranty is up. It's overall a waste of money. Gap is a good idea depending upon how much you are upside down on the vehicle. If it's by a significant amount, you probably shouldn't be buying the vehicle anyway.

Service plans are bullshit. Old or lazy people get this because they won't / can't do the upkeep on their own shit.

Finance guys are going to push the monthly payment. I can get you into this for xxx.xx/mo. Stupid and or broke people care about this. Smart people are the ones who pay cash, and if that fails, pay attention to the interest rates. Honestly, if you can't pay cash for the vehicle, you really can't afford it. It's just a matter of how much you are willing to get screwed for what you want after this fact. The more you finance, the harder you're getting fucked.

They will also push extended warranties, hard. This is how they make their money. Between the low ball offer on your trade, the mark up on whatever you are purchasing, and how much they can sucker you into the extras (extended warranties, etc.) They could potentially be making 10 grand plus off of you. More so if you are leasing. One of the EMT's I work with now worked for a few years at a Dodge dealer here in Vegas, he has told us stories, and in great detail about how they will fuck people hard with a smile and a handshake.

Walk into a dealership expecting to get at least a little fucked. Even if you get a smoking deal, at the end of the day they are worried about their bottom line, and at best are going to play "just the tip".
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:03:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did she happen to move to another dealership or ... ?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:07:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, hell if I know. I got out of there as soon as I could. That crowd lived too fast and didn't care about anything.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:09:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

One of my favorite scenes.
There it all is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

One of my favorite scenes.
There it all is.

They put that true coat on at the factory you know?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:14:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Meh.

My trick is just making everything on my end quick & painless. I make more in the long run by not being a douche and getting referrals for being a bro.

F&I on the other hand....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All sales people are still a pile of human scum....  They have just changed tactics to look like better people.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/22/22ac8884fd0df07355f0ae5a940a4cde42cd257b9387ab734ac927a1653b2dd1.jpg

What is your sales goal today?

Hitting a nerve is always funny..  Can't deny my comments though...  The use every trick in the book to confuse am scam.

A double somebody asked why we don't try to negotiate over items....  We do any time we ask for price match or other discounts.  And we will get passed of with those sales people ask us how much we can afford each month.....

Meh.

My trick is just making everything on my end quick & painless. I make more in the long run by not being a douche and getting referrals for being a bro.

F&I on the other hand....

What kind of BS is F&I pulling?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#19]
It cracks me up how people want to buy cars "directly from the factory". What other products do you buy like that? Refrigerators, microwaves, lawnmowers? Do you think that the "factory" magically won't have any overhead to pay keeping that "stealership" open to serve you after the sale? How much are you going to save with that business model? Do you think those great paying jobs will still be there? Or maybe you think it will done at a kiosk in a mall? How much do you think the factory employees are going to care that "you spent $35,000" when you're needing satisfaction? Do you realize how much dealers give back to their communities? They're one of the largest contributors. I'd love to see the day come so, I can sit back and laugh at the resulting cluster f**k. Maybe the factory will have to pay me MSRP for my store because, you know, they want it too. Woohoo!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It cracks me up how people want to buy cars "directly from the factory". What other products do you buy like that? Refrigerators, microwaves, lawnmowers? Do you think that the "factory" magically won't have any overhead to pay keeping that "stealership" open to serve you after the sale? How much are you going to save with that business model? Do you think those great paying jobs will still be there? Or maybe you think it will done at a kiosk in a mall? How much do you think the factory employees are going to care that "you spent $35,000" when you're needing satisfaction? Do you realize how much dealers give back to their communities? They're one of the largest contributors. I'd love to see the day come so, I can sit back and laugh at the resulting cluster f**k. Maybe the factory will have to pay me MSRP for my store because, you know, they want it too. Woohoo!
View Quote

It cracks me up that people can't comprehend that other industries haven;t earned such sullied reputations, and why.

And fuck anyone who thinks dealership give a fuck whether you bought a car from them or will buy another when it comes to "satisfaction."

Dealerships are their own worst enemy, and until theycome to grips with it, and correct it, they will continue to be.

They are like military recruiters - a necessary means to an end, with a well-earned bad rep.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It cracks me up that people can't comprehend that other industries haven;t earned such sullied reputations, and why.

And fuck anyone who thinks dealership give a fuck whether you bought a car from them or will buy another when it comes to "satisfaction."

Dealerships are their own worst enemy, and until theycome to grips with it, and correct it, they will continue to be.

They are like military recruiters - a necessary means to an end, with a well-earned bad rep.
View Quote

Sounds to me like someone failed to do their homework on a couple major decisions and now its someone else's fault.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:02:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sounds to me like someone failed to do their homework on a couple major decisions and now its someone else's fault.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds to me like you don't have a clue, and never will.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#23]
i never buy new , never never!  if you took the same amount of time spent shopping for new cars, all the dealership hassles, all the paperwork hassles and applied it to looking for a good used car hunt on a weekend or 2 and giving it the once over is the smart way to go. I think i have spend $30k total on cars in 25+ years , all have been great with normal maintenance and care then sell them for most of what I paid , rinse and repeat. I think i avg about a 90$ car payment doing this , Id rather have 2 fair shape used cars than 1 new one also.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well then how about investing 2-4 million for the average store and show us how it's done since no one else is doing it right.

Btw, I really don't want to get our purses flying over this, I just want to give some perspective from the other side. Peace brother and thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
i never buy new , never never!  if you took the same amount of time spent shopping for new cars, all the dealership hassles, all the paperwork hassles and applied it to looking for a good used car hunt on a weekend or 2 and giving it the once over is the smart way to go. I think i have spend $30k total on cars in 25+ years , all have been great with normal maintenance and care then sell them for most of what I paid , rinse and repeat. I think i avg about a 90$ car payment doing this , Id rather have 2 fair shape used cars than 1 new one also.
View Quote

I bought new one time. Ordered from the factory. Got one heck of a deal on it. The only reason is my FIL owns the dealership.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I will never buy another new car, so I don't care.
View Quote

I'm with this guy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do you realize how much dealers give back to their communities? They're one of the largest contributors.
View Quote

What are you talking about?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Well then how about investing 2-4 million for the average store and show us how it's done since no one else is doing it right.

Btw, I really don't want to get our purses flying over this, I just want to give some perspective from the other side. Peace brother and thanks for your service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His "you don't have a clue" has more to do with why you don't understand why people hate and distrust dealers.

Don't get mad at us, get mad at your fellow dealers who act like scumbags.  You know, the bad 90% who give the other 10% of you a bad name...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Anyone know if carmax is any good? Selling used cars but no haggling from what I understand.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#33]
All the salesmen posting in the thread should provide the names of the dealers that they work for so we can all research and verify what a fantastic customer experience they provide.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#34]
jalopnik article over same topic

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/edmunds-caves-to-pissed-off-dealers-over-haggling-ad-1650104613/+matthardigree
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I've never met an honest car salesman...ever.  And I've done business with a great number of them.  More than once, I have agreed upon a number with the salesman and/or sales manager, and then lo and behold once the forms are printed out and ready to sign the number is not what we agreed upon.  When I called them on it, they invariably had some bullshit excuse.  They are all fucking crooks.

Last new vehicle I bought was a 2010 Toyota Tundra 4X4.  Looked on Edmunds.com, etc. and figured out what I was willing to pay, and played the fucking game with the saleslady and the sales manager for an hour or two.  They said they couldn't do it, so I walked.  Not an hour later they called me on my cell phone and said they'd do the deal.  Went to sign the forms and there was a hidden charge of about 300 bucks for doc fees.  I told them I wasn't paying it.  They said, "there's no way we can get around that...everyone has to pay it".  I said, fine I'll pay it, but lessen the price of the truck by 300 bucks to make up for it.  They balked and whined for another 30 minutes, but they did it.  I got a good deal, but I sure had to work for it.

Don't even get me started on the many ways they try to fuck you over if you lease a vehicle.  

It will be the last new car that I likely ever buy.  I always wanted a brand new truck, and I treated myself to one.  After a month or two, the newness wears off and it's just another fucking vehicle.  Ain't worth it.  I'll be buying used, and paying cash for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you realize how much dealers give back to their communities? They're one of the largest contributors.

Outbound marketing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Where did all of this $50-$100 shit come from? I've never had any counter-offers be anything less than $250-500. What kind of assclown salesman would counter an offer of $25,000 down to $24,950? That would be an automatic disqualification.

Again, all this can be avoided by simply offering a "take it or leave it" price. Do your own math to determine a driveout price, it isn't hard.
View Quote

So what you're saying is, you would pay more for a vehicle because the cheaper vehicle was cheaper? What?

ETA: I've countered offers by raising my price a fuckin shitload, and closed that shit. I've also had customers walk over that. They always get madbro when they leave, too. Like I kicked their dog, and I've never understood why.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People are pissed at dealerships because of all the fuckups they make, making a poor choice when purchasing a vehicle is the most painful.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Anyone that allows a dealership to "four square" them is an idiot anyway.  I am not a smart man, but I know how much a car

costs, what mine is worth and what I am putting down, the only question is APR and a little rough math can answer that question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Anyone that allows a dealership to "four square" them is an idiot anyway.  I am not a smart man, but I know how much a car

costs, what mine is worth and what I am putting down, the only question is APR and a little rough math can answer that question.
Quoted:

No sympathy.  They will still try to "four square" you, or throw a gorilla mat set ontop of the carpet mats and claim they were factory,

And they cant take them off.

What is "Four square?" dealing with 3 different people that all have to go to the sales manager whom would be #4 and all giving the buyer the runaround?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Sure, they may not screw you on the price of the car anymore, but they'll give you $200 for your trade-in, sell you a $1000 wax job paint protection plan, $600 can of scotchguard fabric protection service, service agreements, extended warranties, car wash card, alarm systems, dealer recommended services, bad financing deals, key insurance, tire insurance, gap insurance, rustproofing, etc. Almost all of those things are a terrible value if you buy them at the dealership.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Truecar.com   Know what price is a good price before you even go in.
View Quote

Let me think about this.  A program participated in by car dealers to make thing better and get better deals for the buying public?

Not just car dealers, but does anybody selling anything on commission have any motivation to cut their commissions and make things better for their customers?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:29:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have NEVER had a good experience with a can dealer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
From the article:
If anyone is getting a "raw deal" in the can business, it's usually the dealership itself.

I have NEVER had a good experience with a can dealer.

How about car dealers?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:38:14 AM EDT
[#43]
I had a fair and decent experience at the Ford dealership.  What went wrong?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:39:06 AM EDT
[#44]
My Mother (86) got some sales materials from a local dealer including a trip, a tv, a few other things, she wanted to go down to see what she won.  So I called, could I bring her "winning" card in?  are the big prizes still available?  No sh has to come in, yes everything is still available, Straight answer time.  Nobody there was willing to give me a straight answer, and one loser tried to change his voice and accent.

They still only look out for number one, and if a customer isn't internet savvy they will screw them out one ear and in the other.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:00:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Just found out today my stepmom traded her problematic HHR for an Impala. She was fed up with HHR and I'm sure they heard her say it and gave her $3000 less than NADA rough trade in. Think its an 06 with 57000 miles. Had issues but they were GM issues and yet the dealer still screwed her. My dad has dementia and would have gave them the finger in his better years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:54:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Dealerships continue their staunch advocacy of capitalism and free and open competition.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/10/21/tesla-just-lost-its-fight-for-direct-sales-in-michigan/
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Dealerships continue their staunch advocacy of capitalism and free and open competition.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/10/21/tesla-just-lost-its-fight-for-direct-sales-in-michigan/
View Quote

This actually does make me sad. Free and open market should allow for a manufacturer to either sell through dealerships OR directly.

If my manufacturers decided to sell directly, I would either sell something else, or work for the manufacturer in some capacity.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I bought a new car last year.  At that time the car buying experience (at least at my local Ford dealer) still sucked.

I ended up getting a really good price (according to truecar).

That being said it shouldn't take an hour to get a good price.  I don't want to have to haggle with you and be about to walk out of the door to get a good price.  Heck if I was offered almost the price I paid from the beginning I would have just agreed to it because even that would have been a "good price."  They would have made more money if they just offered me a good price from the start.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You do understand that most any salesmen today are not the "old guard" guys that were the ones who fucked people over...  A salesman you're most likely to encounter today is one that started and was trained under this new business model of customer satisfaction.

ETA:  I see it a lot too...  The "slimy saleman" types don't survive in dealerships anymore.  When they start affecting a dealerships CSI scores, the get the boot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a dealer told me to pick any car and gave it to me for free, I'd still drive away thinking "that guy screwed me somehow."  Maybe that's an unintended consequence of buying cars before the internet age, but that's how it is for me.

I know your type.  

you mean the type of guy who's been fucked over by a car dealership and is therefore very wary of anything to do with them?  that kind?

You do understand that most any salesmen today are not the "old guard" guys that were the ones who fucked people over...  A salesman you're most likely to encounter today is one that started and was trained under this new business model of customer satisfaction.

ETA:  I see it a lot too...  The "slimy saleman" types don't survive in dealerships anymore.  When they start affecting a dealerships CSI scores, the get the boot.

I'm not sure what you mean by "anymore", but when I last bought a vehicle in 2010 I dealt with two salesmen at two different dealerships (plus three more online) who were all so fucking smiley you couldn't duct table superglue to them.

I know I paid about $500 extra on my truck, but I was just sick of dealing with the bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you are right to a large extent but I think the difference is when you purchase most items from most middlemen (grocery stores, department stores, clothing stores, electronic stores, costco, walmart, etc) they tend to charge everyone the same price if an item isn't on sale.  

You can try to haggle with costco over a 30 pack of beer but I doubt it will work for you.  Nobody walks out of costco with a 30 pack of beer and says to themselves "I wonder if they screwed me on the price, did that guy before me pay less than me for the same item on the same day?."  You know the price, and it's the price... if you are unhappy with the price you can shop elsewhere.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top