BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you aren't keen to how that process works, I can see how someone would get fucked.  It's a vague process that has a lot of variability built into it, and not all customers are as informed as they should be before they get suckered into all the BS that is involved in buying cars. Not everyone knows how to navigate that process and put the dealer's games into check.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a dealer told me to pick any car and gave it to me for free, I'd still drive away thinking "that guy screwed me somehow."  Maybe that's an unintended consequence of buying cars before the internet age, but that's how it is for me.

I know your type.  

you mean the type of guy who's been fucked over by a car dealership and is therefore very wary of anything to do with them?  that kind?

I don't understand how you can get 'fucked over' by the salesman when buying a car.  If you don't think it's a good deal, don't buy it. If you are unhappy with the deal you got, why sign the paperwork?
I have had good deals, and 'whatever' deals at the dealership, but no one ever held a gun to my head and said "Take it!  Take the deal!"

If you aren't keen to how that process works, I can see how someone would get fucked.  It's a vague process that has a lot of variability built into it, and not all customers are as informed as they should be before they get suckered into all the BS that is involved in buying cars. Not everyone knows how to navigate that process and put the dealer's games into check.

And they shouldn't have to. That's the point I think, it's the principal of the thing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had both good and bad experiences at dealerships. There are some good people in sales; but that is far from the norm in my experience.

I know what I want when I go in and what I feel is a fair price to pay.

What I hate are advertisements for dealers with no-haggle pricing. They say it's hassle free and the best price available is on the window. That's bullshit, especially for used car. I'm not saying I want to get a smokin' deal; but if you are 100% not budging on price I'll go to the next place that is.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If it's so easy and everything is now on the up and up why use the same closed door, let me go talk to the sales manager techniques? I just bought a truck in August and once they found out I wasn't financing through the dealership they were not as helpful and tried everything  they could to try and change that. It was sleazy and high pressured. If the dealerships are going to truly go to no haggle environments then they need to embrace that practice through the whole sales process.

Buying a car should be as easy as Amazon. I go online pick out the model I want and pay for it. Then magically 2 days later it's on my door step.
View Quote

I have purchased several new vehicles just like that through an auto broker.
I went online and did the "build your xxxxx vehicle" on the manufacturer website. I put together the vehicle I wanted, and all the options I wanted. I printed the final results out and faxed them to the broker. He looked around and found a vehicle very close to what I wanted (it wasn't exact, but very close). He then told me the price. He didn't haggle.  He told me the price and that was it. I had bought a Consumer Reports magazine that listed the dealer wholesale price, the MSRP, and what a reasonable number to pay was. His price was exactly the price that Consumer Reports listed as a reasonable number to pay. I should point out that this price was a number that the local dealer said there was no possible way they could sell me the vehicle for.

I told him I wanted the vehicle, two days later it came in on a flat bed.
The second vehicle I bought from the guy he offered to register it for me so I didn't have to wait in line at the DMV. He even fronted the money for the registration and I just paid him when I went to pick up the vehicle.

Of course this business model only works when you know what you want. He didn't have a lot full of cars. He didn't have any cars at all. He simply had an office.  You had to go in there knowing what you wanted and he simply found it for you. If you wanted to compare various options packages, or do a test drive, or anything other than simply purchase the car this was not the place to do business.

FWIW: I understand what the OP is saying.
If you went to a normal dealer and shopped for a vehicle, test drove them, dickered with them..............and then went to a broker and got a better price; it would be the right thing to do to at least call the sales person at the dealer and give them a chance to match the price given by the broker. After all, they took the time to help you in your selection. If they don't match the price, OK. But I think it is only right to give them a chance to match the price. In the end, you have to do what is best for you. But that doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it.  In my case the dealer wouldn't budge off of their price and I ended up buying at least three different vehicles from that broker. I would still be buying vehicles from that broker but I moved and I don't know of a broker around here.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
BS.
The shark tank(so said because the sales people circle inside like sharks) in the next town over wanted to make 10 grand off of me...
There are still dealers out there who operate as if the internet did not exist.
And...drumroll please, if you are female you must be stupid and know nothing about cars right?
Like in 'when can you come back with your husband'?
View Quote

That's sad. I urge husbands to bring their wives, and women to leave their husbands at home. I find ladies to be more understanding of things like "value" and "service".  I also find them to be more willing to converse with me and make rational decisions. I know a lot of guys here will laugh, but it's true. I don't sell cars, but the principle is the same.

Sometimes I get folks who don't want to negotiate, which in fine with, but try to rush and hurry the quoting process and be a general asshat. Like I'm some kind of sleaze ball salesman.

True story: I had a customer looking for a machine. I quoted him, my competition 100 miles away was $100 cheaper (his words, it's funny they never bring a quote). I raised my price a thousand bucks and out the door he went. Fortunately I have the discretion to negotiate price as high or as low as I want, and even to tell turds to please leave. And I have done all of the above.

When "buyers" come in and want my best price, I give it to them. Sometimes the dealership down the way is cheaper. That's fine, I make commission on margin. Charging more than the next guy isn't screwing the buyer over, our dealerships strive for building relationships and excellent customer service and let me tell you guys a secret. When we come out and fix something on our own good will, guess who pays for it? I DO.

Again, I don't sell cars. Never have. But I've run into as many assholes on both sides of the desk.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
At any rate, I gotta go get ready for work so I can go "fuck some people over..."

Have a great day everyone.
View Quote

Show up to work like your avatar there...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a long post typed up recounting my (most recent) car buying experience earlier this year, then I thought about it and figured it was just pissing in the wind, you know the industry you went into and the well earned rep it has.  The salesman I dealt with earlier in the year didn't have to sell me anything, and I told him my price before even walking in the door, he's the one who wanted to stretch a 15 minute transaction to 2.5 hours didn't bother me, I had all day. Less than 30 minutes after I walked in the door I could have been walking back out and he would have had the same money in his pocket, if he made $5 an hour for that 3 hours instead of the $30 an hour he could have made, that's his fault.

Had a friend who did better than anyone I knew in the car business, he started at 18 and got the reputation for no bs, best price salesman, he told me one time he figured out early that there were two ways to make a name in the car business, try to rape everyone that comes thru the door and sell a few cars a month, but make a good bit on each one, or give everyone that comes in the very best price you can and sell a LOT of cars due to it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
At any rate, I gotta go get ready for work so I can go "fuck some people over..."

Have a great day everyone.
View Quote

It sucks that the Business Model is so adversarial.  

Thanks for trying to help.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Car dealers and their employees have earned their shitty reputations.
Its not the customers fault they have the reputations they do, its their own fault by past and presently continuing actions.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Thats why Costco's means or avoiding everyone and just going to the Fleet ordering is so much more awesome. Heck, we even have whole dealerships hear who offer No Dicker stickers... Basically the price listed is the price. You don't like it, well there's the door. No trying to wear you down. just selling you a product. And not the hard sell.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How about trade ins?  Is that why multiple dealerships offered us $2k on a car we wound up selling on craigslist for $7k?  $1k or $2k difference I can see, but 70% below market value?  That's pretty special.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At the end of the day, a car dealership is still a retail store and have the right to ask a retail price.  What this article points out is that if you simply do your homework and enter into the dealership with that information, you're going to walk away with a good car deal and ideally a good car buying experience.

Many dealerships nowadays operate on a volume sales strategy.  We just want to move units.

How about trade ins?  Is that why multiple dealerships offered us $2k on a car we wound up selling on craigslist for $7k?  $1k or $2k difference I can see, but 70% below market value?  That's pretty special.

Take the tax advantage of the trade value offered, or sell your car and take the cash. It's not rocket science.
The dealership needs to make a profit on your trade whether it goes on the lot or to an auction. They're in business to make money. Aren't you?

This thread is full of babies that got hosed on a car deal and blame the dealership instead of their own impatience and inability to shop for the best price/value.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fuck them, they fucked everyone they could for many,  many years.
I personally heard a Sales manager for a dealership say, "All I want to do is fuck everyone, once."
View Quote

Back in the day that was pretty much the norm.
A lot of things here have changed to prevent that type of thinking, such as having to take a mandatory .gov education class and pass a written exam to acquire a license to sell vehicles as a profession.

3 complaints and your license is pulled for good and you are out of the profession for life.
In some cases you can even wind up in jail.

Are there not some sort of consumer protection laws in the U.S. that are similar ?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You do understand that most any salesmen today are not the "old guard" guys that were the ones who fucked people over...  A salesman you're most likely to encounter today is one that started and was trained under this new business model of customer satisfaction.

ETA:  I see it a lot too...  The "slimy saleman" types don't survive in dealerships anymore.  When they start affecting a dealerships CSI scores, the get the boot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a dealer told me to pick any car and gave it to me for free, I'd still drive away thinking "that guy screwed me somehow."  Maybe that's an unintended consequence of buying cars before the internet age, but that's how it is for me.

I know your type.  

you mean the type of guy who's been fucked over by a car dealership and is therefore very wary of anything to do with them?  that kind?

You do understand that most any salesmen today are not the "old guard" guys that were the ones who fucked people over...  A salesman you're most likely to encounter today is one that started and was trained under this new business model of customer satisfaction.

ETA:  I see it a lot too...  The "slimy saleman" types don't survive in dealerships anymore.  When they start affecting a dealerships CSI scores, the get the boot.

^What this guy just said.  Honestly though if you hate the whole car buying experience.  Just go thru American Express or Costco.  Youll pay about the lowest you can for a new car and skip the salesman stuff.  Youll most likely go thru the dealerships fleet sales.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree.  They already know what they are able/willing to sell the vehicle for.  Why dick around.  If the person is willing to pay at or above the dealers to selling price, sell the vehicle and move on.  Save time and money and allows the dealer to do more sales.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 You're joking right?

Losing a sale over $50-100 is being insanely competitive.  If it comes down to that, don't be a dick.  If the guy that just invested several hours of his life working with you provided you with a good buying experience while you were there, go back and purchase the vehicle from him.

This right here is what I hate.  It shouldn't take hours to buy a damn vehicle.  Put a reasonable price on the vehicle or open negotiations with it.  

I decided to try a new tactic the last time I bought a car.....just sit there.  I had nothing else pressing to do that day, so why not.

I wanted a new toyota, I told the guy what I wanted to buy the car for (a reasonable price that would be fair to both parties) and that I had financing lined up.  The salesman started with the "how much do you want to pay per month" high pressure spill.  I told him not to worry about that, I only wanted to know the final price on the car.  I said I was willing to pay X for the car and wrote it on his little sheet of paper.  He started again with the "how much per month" and I just looked at him and pointed at the paper.  He stopped talking after a few minutes and I just sat there looking at him and the number I wrote on the paper.  We sat like that for a very uncomfortable amount of time (people hate sitting quietly) and he finally wrote down a number that was a couple thousand from my number.  I just shook my head and pointed to my number and said I was ready to pay X today.  He started the "how much do you want your payment to be" again and I just sat there again staring at him and the paper with my offer.  This repeated several times, with him walking back to the manager for extra drama, until he got down to a number within $500 of my offer.  Then I accepted that offer since I felt was close enough.

It would have been a lot quicker if he would have just started with something close to that.  There were several people looking at cars that afternoon and he likely would have been able to sell at least one other car, instead he want to dick around on the price for a couple of hours with me.  Sad thing is, I would rate this my best car buying experience.

I agree.  They already know what they are able/willing to sell the vehicle for.  Why dick around.  If the person is willing to pay at or above the dealers to selling price, sell the vehicle and move on.  Save time and money and allows the dealer to do more sales.  

They are trying to make max profit on every sale still...yet OP is trying to claim they make their money off of volume.  If they were going for volume, they'd price stuff to move without the games......seems OP and reality aren't matching.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I will never buy another new car, so I don't care.
View Quote

Came here to post this. Someone else can pay for that new car smell. They're not called "stealerships" for nothing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've had both good and bad experiences at dealerships. There are some good people in sales; but that is far from the norm in my experience.

What I hate are advertisements for dealers with no-haggle pricing. They say it's hassle free and the best price available is on the window. That's bullshit, especially for used car. I'm not saying I want to get a smokin' deal; but if you are 100% not budging on price I'll go to the next place that is.
View Quote

Back in the nineties I worked at a large volume Ford dealership that utilized the no haggle model. The best price was indeed on the window, and we didn't budge EVER. I let people walk out over floor mats, and I did it with a smile.

You know what happened after they left? About 90% came back within 48 hours, once they realized that we were the cheapest anywhere. Selling 500 to 600 cars a month gave us quite an advantage over the smaller stores.

Many customers tried to haggle just because that's "what you do" at a car dealership. Many people got upset when we wouldn't budge - but then they left, got educated, and came back.

The rise of the Internet was the greatest boon ever for our dealership, because it helped people get educated before they walked in
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

What do you think about Carmax?  Their business model is "no haggle" and they seem to be doing fairly well.  Same with Scion.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know your type.  

Sorry, but there is simply too much damage already done to ever salvage the reputation of the car salesman.  When people hear "car salesman" they reflexively think "lying. malicious piece of shit".

Is that unfair to you?  Probably, but reality is often an unfair bitch, and we frequently get the pleasure of paying for the sins of our predecessors.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And here we have the root of the issue this post was founded on.  A "your problem/my problem" disconnect.  The part in red is your problem.

It took the car buying public a long time to figure out that you're not our friends.  Now that we've figured it out and have started treating you like you've been treating us all along we're dicks?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The sales model needs to change and move away from the traditional good cop (sales guy), bad cop (sales manager), high pressure, wear down the consumer and don't let the leave the lot without a sale way it still is today. As soon as that changes, perceptions will change.

The biggest reason for wanting to do business that day is because the dealership doesn't want to lose your business when you go down the street and shop them and that dealership undercuts them by $50 and they lose the sale over a stupidly insignificant amount of money.  It happens daily and is honestly a shitty thing for the consumer to do.  The salesman that just spent the past several hours with you showing you different vehicles and options, etc. doesn't get paid an hourly wage.  He gets paid if you buy the car or not.

then be competitive

stop trying to justify your anti-competitive strategies by blaming the customer when your policies and prices are the cause of the lost sale.

You're joking right?

Losing a sale over $50-100 is being insanely competitive.  If it comes down to that, don't be a dick.  If the guy that just invested several hours of his life working with you provided you with a good buying experience while you were there, go back and purchase the vehicle from him.

And here we have the root of the issue this post was founded on.  A "your problem/my problem" disconnect.  The part in red is your problem.

It took the car buying public a long time to figure out that you're not our friends.  Now that we've figured it out and have started treating you like you've been treating us all along we're dicks?  

I get this part. My time is valuable and so is yours. I'll give you a price and if you want to negotiate, sure. If there's room. Sometimes, my answer is no. My price is my price, let's do the deal. Sometimes they walk, many times the don't. I try not to keep anyone in my office over 30 minutes, it's not productive for either party.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If You Still Think Car Dealers Rip People Off, You Don't Understand the Modern Car Buying Process

http://dealerbar.com/blog/if-you-still-think-car-dealers-rip-people-off-you-don-t-understan

The internet killed the car business. Then, it built it right back up. We live in a world of retail transparency, shopping from the couch, and uber-competitiveness. Shoppers have the ability to get great deals every time they shop for a car and that has translated into a major shift in the way they're sold.

If anyone is getting a "raw deal" in the car business, it's usually the dealership itself. As consumers, we don't blink an eye when buying a couch or a shirt that brings in 50% or more profit to the retailer, but car dealers often struggle to make 4% off of a vehicle sold. I'm not suggesting that they don't make money, but it's not the easiest business to operate in America today.
View Quote

This is a great article and definitely one that I think GD needs to read.
View Quote

And, our service rate is $98.00 an hour and your part cost $1200.00 so your repairs will be $1800.00. We pay our mechanics poorly in MOST dealerships and mark the price of parts up 1000%. Peddle the poor dealership antics elsewhere. If it sucks so bad find another business to operate.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I still have a low opinion of most car salesmen. All the vehicles I have ever bought came with aggressive sales tactics, the same old "we are already losing money on this at our asking price" schtick, the "let me ask my manager" and have them come out for round 2 of aggressive tactics, things like the $1500 "reconditioning fee" where they say they will go over everything with a fine tooth comb on a used vehicle, but essentially just wash it and vacuum it. Not even change the oil or top off the washer fluid. The latter is likely because they want to get me to come in for a first oil change for "free." Then they will tell me I need to spend a bunch of money replacing this and that, etc.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What do you think about Carmax?  Their business model is "no haggle" and they seem to be doing fairly well.  Same with Scion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For new cars, CarMax only has four dealerships, as far as I can tell.
For used cars, the "no haggle" seems less important than the "no crappy cars" that seem to be the case.
The problem with "no haggle" new cars is that due to the oppressive, monopolistic laws, in a lot of places, there isn't any competition. So "no haggle" just means "we've decided our profit margin--take it or don't buy this brand of car".
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The biggest reason for wanting to do business that day is because the dealership doesn't want to lose your business when you go down the street and shop them and that dealership undercuts them by $50 and they lose the sale over a stupidly insignificant amount of money.  It happens daily and is honestly a shitty thing for the consumer to do.  The salesman that just spent the past several hours with you showing you different vehicles and options, etc. doesn't get paid an hourly wage.  He gets paid if you buy the car or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The sales model needs to change and move away from the traditional good cop (sales guy), bad cop (sales manager), high pressure, wear down the consumer and don't let the leave the lot without a sale way it still is today. As soon as that changes, perceptions will change.

Because you have never looked at shit at best buy then ordered on Amazon, or finger fucked a firearm at cabelas or gander and had your local guy order it or get that online? That's below you right?

Lol, guess what, $50 is $50.

I liked my salesman when I bought my truck in 2010. I went back and bought my wife's car from him in 2011. I went back last year to get a 2013 before they were gone because they were cheap. 2 years prior, my truck was in an accident because a prius was cutting between cars in a parking lot, I didn't notice the cop marked on the police report that the airbag deployed.

Carfax shows an airbag deployment that never happened and so the dealer would only offer me kbb fair value. Since they just auction cars with an airbag deployment rather then sell used. 4k under what it otherwise would have been. This dealership repaired my truck so they know what happened. Carfax says they won't change it unless the police report is ammended. Cop says he won't change it because he can't remember and it may have been, though I thought that would have been illegal to repair a vehicle except for the airbag if it had a lean on it... I just wanted some help from the dealer to clarify it.

Well, I still have my 2010, and I guess he didn't want the sale. Know who I will never buy a car from again?....

I keep pictures, the police report, the carfax, and the repair receipt in my truck at all times now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Picked up a 2015 F-350 4x4 Crew cab long box for the county fleet on Monday. Sticker price was $44780

The county paid $31,200 for it, including "destination fee"

Go on and tell me stealerships only make 5% profit.
View Quote

I have never sold a machine for retail price. And dealership don't either, save for specialty or rare units. If someone pays retail, that's their own problem.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Car dealers make more $$$ off the used car lot, and the service dept, than selling new cars.
View Quote
And in my personal experience, that is where they fleece people.

All the horror stories I've heard of people getting screwed by car dealerships have involved trips to the repair shop.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have never sold a machine for retail price. And dealership don't either, save for specialty or rare units. If someone pays retail, that's their own problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Picked up a 2015 F-350 4x4 Crew cab long box for the county fleet on Monday. Sticker price was $44780

And that's why people hate car salesmen.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

For used cars, the "no haggle" seems less important than the "no crappy cars" that seem to be the case.
The problem with "no haggle" new cars is that due to the oppressive, monopolistic laws, in a lot of places, there isn't any competition. So "no haggle" just means "we've decided our profit margin--take it or don't buy this brand of car".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True and I suppose CarMax adds value in other ways.  No haggle does make it a much easier experience for those not willing or able to deal with a salesman.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Take the tax advantage of the trade value offered, or sell your car and take the cash. It's not rocket science.
The dealership needs to make a profit on your trade whether it goes on the lot or to an auction. They're in business to make money. Aren't you?

This thread is full of babies that got hosed on a car deal and blame the dealership instead of their own impatience and inability to shop for the best price/value.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
At the end of the day, a car dealership is still a retail store and have the right to ask a retail price.  What this article points out is that if you simply do your homework and enter into the dealership with that information, you're going to walk away with a good car deal and ideally a good car buying experience.

Many dealerships nowadays operate on a volume sales strategy.  We just want to move units.

Tax advantage?    You mean you can lower your tax on the new car by subtracting the value of the trade advantage?  I think the 6k in my pocket is a better deal.  

Then you insult and belittle people for trying to maximize their profit?

Getting defensive and sticking up for a business will get you nowhere but embarrassed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well he's right, only suckers pay retail.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I went to one of the largest dealers in STL. The company I think owns a dealership or two of every brand of car other than exotics. Walked in knowig our trade needed tires, expecting to take the ding on that. "Certified appraiser" walks out and comes in and says needs tires and a new windshield. Undercuts the "nada trade in" by $3k I think it was. I said the windshield is brand new. He says "so doesn't need I won't need to replace it". I walked outside and scraped a little big guts he was calling a chip off and the deal was basically done. The salesman did not look happy as we were prepared to buy a car from him on a nasty rainy day. The appraiser cost him a sale.

Something I've noticed. Kelley Blue Book was the big thing. It became available on the web and people started knowing their vehicle's value. So then they said we use the Nada value. Nada has become easily accessible on line and people use that. Now they've pulled a new trick "we've called multiple wholesalers and this is what they will give for it". That is not an easily accessible tool for buyers to use.

Ugh I hate car shopping.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#31]
I love car dealerships.  Without them the parolees and probationers I supervise wouldn't be able to get work.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
When I want a new truck, I call my dealer tell him I want a new truck. he asks me a few questions. Asks me the miles on my current one and either brings the new one to my office or house and picks my old one up. I sign the papers at my house or office and it is done. That is the way we have done it for over a decade.

Now my wife...lord. She has to go with her friends one day, and then I have to go 2 more days while she drives every damned kind of car that she might want from Oklahoma City to Shreveport to Dallas and any place in between that she can find on the internet.

I like my way better.
View Quote

Your way is indeed better

A couple weeks ago I bought my wife a new car. Our daughter just finished drivers ed, and she got my wife's old car. I called the dealership I used to work for, spoke to one of my old coworkers, and told him what my wife wanted. He e-mailed me the specs on around a dozen units that fit her specs, including pricing. Since there was no trade it was a simple deal. We drove to the store so Mrs CJan drove one, she decided on a color, and we were out of there in less than an hour with her new car. She did end up getting heated seats, a sunroof, and remote start - so we spent a little more than expected but no big deal.

We put ten grand down and financed it for 36 months. Knowing my wife it will probably be paid off in a year
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Law wouldn't last no time. Soon as people bought new cars and then didn't have anyone local to complain to or have it fixed etc....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Repeal the ridiculous laws which allow dealerships to exist in the first place and let the manufacturers sell directly to people.

Law wouldn't last no time. Soon as people bought new cars and then didn't have anyone local to complain to or have it fixed etc....

Are you saying that if there was a consumer demand, that there would not be a business to fill that consumer demand?  Really?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me why I should go down in the dirt to cut my price if you're a laydown customer? I get paid commission. I never NEVER charge retail. I offer a price that is both fair for the customer and keeps my commission strong. If you snatch the credit app out of my hand and get to work with no negotiation or due diligence on your part, well, I'm not gonna say "naw man, I'll knock another 2% off" out of the goodness of my heart. I don't play games. I quote, sometimes I negotiate, and i always try to build a good relationship with my customers and let them know they can count on me. If you can't pay an extra 2% or whatever for the satisfaction of knowing I have my phone on me 24/7 and have been out in a field at 6 am on a Sunday morning trying to get a machine going on my own time and dime so I can keep a customer happy, then we can't make a deal.

*Stand up, hand shake* Thank you for coming in, and have a nice day, sir.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Sorry, after generations of being sleezy, lying, sorry sacks-of-shit they've earned their rep.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What tax advantage?  Buyer pays sales tax in VA, not seller.  Like I said, I could understand a few grand off market value to make a profit (we would have agreed to $5k without question for the convenience), but that was just stupid.  And I didn't get hosed on the deal, because I laughed at those offers and sold it on the internet without the "benefit" of a middleman.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Car dealers make more $$$ off the used car lot, and the service dept, than selling new cars.
View Quote

100% fact.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then make it as quick and easy as possible.  Dicking around for 2 hours over trade-ins, dealer added options/services, etc pisses good customers off.  I didn't screw the deal over $50, you did.  If we are arguing over $50 2 hours later, it's up to you to decide whether you want the sale.

In all fairness though, with as many stupid customers with shit credit/hopelessly upside down in a trade-in/wanting the impossible you have to deal with, I understand why.

Get me in and out of there in 30 minutes, I'll probably give you the $50.  2+ hours later, I'm pissed off and you will give it to me if you want the sale.  It isn't hard to figure out.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#42]
I bought two new cars in the past 3 months. The process is still a fucking nightmare, and car dealers are STILL lying, thieving, no good, lily livered scoundrels that should be run out of town tied to the back of a horse. Truecar/costco/edmunds/ etc.,HELP with the process but its still just fucking stupid. There is really no reason for them to exist, and this bullshit about car dealers complaining about Tesla selling direct is laughable. Fuck them. All of them. Hope they all go down in flames one day....
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Are you at a Dodge dealership here in AZ?  If so I want a new Challenger!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Tax advantage?    You mean you can lower your tax on the new car by subtracting the value of the trade advantage?  I think the 6k in my pocket is a better deal.  

Getting defensive and sticking up for a business will get you nowhere but embarrassed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Explain how I am belittling people for maximizing their profit. They have a choice of where to buy and what to pay, and it doesn't have to be from me. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I find mechanics to be the bigger thieves but they somehow don't get the stigma that car sales guys get.
View Quote

Ask around for a referral.  The good, honest ones don't advertise - they don't need to.  Word of mouth keeps them busy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Fuck the dealership....last new truck i bought the sales rep called me 4 days after i took it home and said they made a mistake and I owed them $1500.

I laughed my ass off and told the guy to go fuck himself ...

He said they made a mistake on the "rebate"....i said..."that's your business...not mine"

then he threatened to come and get it or have it repo'ed...

i said good, then i'll have a stolen vehicle to report.

even the manager called back in 3 days....told him the same thing.

nothing happened again.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#47]
They're no better now than they were in the 60s, if anything they're more annoying.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#48]
While that article was so dance with information I don't think I can read it and three settings.

Cars are overpriced because the article said so?  It reads  like it was written by a used car salesman and promoted here by the author.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What tax advantage?  Buyer pays sales tax in VA, not seller.  Like I said, I could understand a few grand off market value to make a profit (we would have agreed to $5k without question for the convenience), but that was just stupid.  And I didn't get hosed on the deal, because I laughed at those offers and sold it on the internet without the "benefit" of a middleman.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect! You sat down and made a conscious decision that was to your best benefit! You're a knowledgeable consumer. I don't have a single problem with that.

You didn't get a couple thousand off market value because the dealership didn't see the advantage of your car, on their lot. They went low on the trade in order to send it to an auction for a buy-here-pay-here guy to snag up. I wholesale machines I don't want on my lot all the time. They gave you the option, you declined. They weren't trying to screw you, they just knew that taking your car in to put on their used lot was a bad business decision, and went another route while still giving you an opportunity to unload your car.

I'm just not seeing how this is the dealership's fault.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Perfect! You sat down and made a conscious decision that was to your best benefit! You're a knowledgeable consumer. I don't have a single problem with that.

You didn't get a couple thousand off market value because the dealership didn't see the advantage of your car, on their lot. They went low on the trade in order to send it to an auction for a buy-here-pay-here guy to snag up. I wholesale machines I don't want on my lot all the time. They gave you the option, you declined. They weren't trying to screw you, they just knew that taking your car in to put on their used lot was a bad business decision, and went another route while still giving you an opportunity to unload your car.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The issue I have is that if they didn't want the car, they could have said so.  Instead I got the "this thing is a piece of shit, you're lucky we're offering you anything" routine.  ETA:  Which they told us immediately after telling us that it was in great shape mechanically and good shape cosmetically (rock chips in the hood and a small dent in one door).
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top