BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At the end of the day, a car dealership is still a retail store and have the right to ask a retail price.  What this article points out is that if you simply do your homework and enter into the dealership with that information, you're going to walk away with a good car deal and ideally a good car buying experience.

Many dealerships nowadays operate on a volume sales strategy.  We just want to move units.

View Quote

How about trade ins?  Is that why multiple dealerships offered us $2k on a car we wound up selling on craigslist for $7k?  $1k or $2k difference I can see, but 70% below market value?  That's pretty special.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

then be competitive

stop trying to justify your anti-competitive strategies by blaming the customer when your policies and prices are the cause of the lost sale.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The sales model needs to change and move away from the traditional good cop (sales guy), bad cop (sales manager), high pressure, wear down the consumer and don't let the leave the lot without a sale way it still is today. As soon as that changes, perceptions will change.

The biggest reason for wanting to do business that day is because the dealership doesn't want to lose your business when you go down the street and shop them and that dealership undercuts them by $50 and they lose the sale over a stupidly insignificant amount of money.  It happens daily and is honestly a shitty thing for the consumer to do.  The salesman that just spent the past several hours with you showing you different vehicles and options, etc. doesn't get paid an hourly wage.  He gets paid if you buy the car or not.

then be competitive

stop trying to justify your anti-competitive strategies by blaming the customer when your policies and prices are the cause of the lost sale.

You're joking right?

Losing a sale over $50-100 is being insanely competitive.  If it comes down to that, don't be a dick.  If the guy that just invested several hours of his life working with you provided you with a good buying experience while you were there, go back and purchase the vehicle from him.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I didnt, but I also dont need to read how great the dems are/ thread

Quoted:

You're exactly the person this article was written towards.  Did you even read it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know where I think car dealers stand on the 'Ron White microphone stand' totem pole?
Yeah.....
No sympathy.

You're exactly the person this article was written towards.  Did you even read it?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I noticed that even in the internet age you still have a lot of bullshit artist selling cars . I was told theis gem when I was looking for my last car . They don't offer a manual transmission in a white car.  Biggest WTF and I am leaving now moment of the bunch . The car in question is sitting in my driveway right now from a dealer 100 miles away . Every dealer is selling the same car , best price wins .
View Quote

No arguments there at all.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How about trade ins?  Is that why multiple dealerships offered us $2k on a car we wound up selling on craigslist for $7k?  $1k or $2k difference I can see, but 70% below market value?  That's pretty special.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At the end of the day, a car dealership is still a retail store and have the right to ask a retail price.  What this article points out is that if you simply do your homework and enter into the dealership with that information, you're going to walk away with a good car deal and ideally a good car buying experience.

Many dealerships nowadays operate on a volume sales strategy.  We just want to move units.

This is part of how I came up with the 10 grand figure in my post.
Low price offered on my trade.
Financing profits for them.
Jacked up price of vehicle that I wanted to buy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#6]
No sympathy! They are Car Salesman.
I learned a lot about Turkey Buzzards over the years. How useful they are to the
ecosystem, blah, blah. They are still Turkey Buzzards!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The biggest reason for wanting to do business that day is because the dealership doesn't want to lose your business when you go down the street and shop them and that dealership undercuts them by $50 and they lose the sale over a stupidly insignificant amount of money.  It happens daily and is honestly a shitty thing for the consumer to do.  The salesman that just spent the past several hours with you showing you different vehicles and options, etc. doesn't get paid an hourly wage.  He gets paid if you buy the car or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The sales model needs to change and move away from the traditional good cop (sales guy), bad cop (sales manager), high pressure, wear down the consumer and don't let the leave the lot without a sale way it still is today. As soon as that changes, perceptions will change.

Then make it as quick and easy as possible.  Dicking around for 2 hours over trade-ins, dealer added options/services, etc pisses good customers off.  I didn't screw the deal over $50, you did.  If we are arguing over $50 2 hours later, it's up to you to decide whether you want the sale.

In all fairness though, with as many stupid customers with shit credit/hopelessly upside down in a trade-in/wanting the impossible you have to deal with, I understand why.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh, I know. But it doesn't have to be that way.  For example, I have a jeweler I trust.  Because of that relationship, I'll usually just tell him what I want and buy it, no questions asked, no time consuming sales process.  I used to do the same for guns before I moved and would do the same for cars.  It's just a matter of knowing that if the dealer needs to make 4% or whatever, I'm can trust him not to make me the sucker paying 5%.  Loyalty is not earned through the wierd games that (most) car dealers play. (E.g. Good cop/bad cop, acting offended when you bring up price, trying to create emotional attachment with the car)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I know. But it doesn't have to be that way.  For example, I have a jeweler I trust.  Because of that relationship, I'll usually just tell him what I want and buy it, no questions asked, no time consuming sales process.  I used to do the same for guns before I moved and would do the same for cars.  It's just a matter of knowing that if the dealer needs to make 4% or whatever, I'm can trust him not to make me the sucker paying 5%.  Loyalty is not earned through the wierd games that (most) car dealers play. (E.g. Good cop/bad cop, acting offended when you bring up price, trying to create emotional attachment with the car)

And you're the kind of customer I'd love to have.  I've had one family purchase 3 vehicles from me in the past month and a half.  All 3 times I've gotten them a great deal.

A majority of my business is on repeat customers and referrals.  I want you to get the best deal and experience possible so you come back to see me and also send your friends, family, co-workers, etc to see me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know where I think car dealers stand on the 'Ron White microphone stand' totem pole?
Yeah.....
No sympathy.

I read your sum.   Sorry if its your business, I just dont like how the car business is set up.  It is not the fault of any one individual, but a community as a whole.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Ohh, and BTW, I live in a microplex and we have very few choices locally. Because of this, prices have the tendency of being a lil ridiculous locally.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You're joking right?

Losing a sale over $50-100 is being insanely competitive.  If it comes down to that, don't be a dick.  If the guy that just invested several hours of his life working with you provided you with a good buying experience while you were there, go back and purchase the vehicle from him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

then be competitive

You're joking right?

I am not responsible for how you are paid.  Stop trying to make me feel like I am.  Every dealer invests that time showing people cars, it's their job.  Since I can't walk in and get a best price within 15 minutes, it's not my fault that you "waste time" on customers.  Sure, that may not be YOU personally, but that's been my experience at every dealership I've EVER walked into....it takes those hours of time you claim of back and forth to get to their best price.  I owe you nothing for your time because it is your time that you wasted.  

When I walk into a dealership, I know what I want, the color, the options, the exact vehicle.  I don't need to see it until I figure out if your price is what I'm willing to pay.  Then I'll drive it to make sure it lives up to expectation on things that you can't find from a spec sheet.  But you don't need to spend hours showing me cars, I know what I want when I walk in....yet every experience Ive ever had....PITA to get to a best price.....not because of me, but because of the salesman and their games.  So yes, I don't give a fuck about the time you invested, because I didn't demand that investment.  You did. (in this case, "you" = whatever salesman is taking time to arrive at a price).

Example.  If I walked into a dealership and said I want a ford F150 in white, gray, green or black, XLT, 4x4, extended cab with a V-8, and you pulled out your cost sheet, showed it to me, and calculated 4-5% over that cost....I'd drive it, and if I liked the product, I'd buy it.  Total time from start to finish with the salesman....hour maybe.  The way you go about it....much longer, and the price is still potentially mushy.  You are the ones building that mush into the price, not me.  I don't trust you.  NO amount of manipulation will change that.  Only facts will.  Provide me facts, and we can get down to business.  Don't show me facts....we are going to be doing the back-and-forth so we can figure those facts out the slow way, but I'm going to figure it out or I'm not buying.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I will never buy another new car, so I don't care.
View Quote

This.

My wife and I went to a few toyota dealerships last year looking at highlanders. We could pay cash or finance with great credit. Did not matter. Went at the end of the month. Did not matter. They would not come down even $100.  New cars just cost to much.

So long as there are people out there who keep getting new cars and taking really good care of them and selling them every few years I'll be fine.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Its not an article, its a blog post with almost zero useful information on it.

Dealership model should die, not because car salesmen are bad, but because the whole model is inefficient.  The only useful thing a car dealership does that is beneficial to me is to let me do a very limited test of their products.  That's a lot of overhead to do one semi-useful thing.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah.....
No sympathy.

Its not an article, its a blog post with almost zero useful information on it.

Dealership model should die, not because car salesmen are bad, but because the whole model is inefficient.  The only useful thing a car dealership does that is beneficial to me is to let me do a very limited test of their products.  That's a lot of overhead to do one semi-useful thing.  

Beat me to it.  I can rail on for hours about all the scumbags in MY line of work, and why you should hire my company to do your project.  In the end, it's just me and my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

heh, bought a new car a couple months ago. They offered $1k dollars for our trade in and we told them to take a hike. Sold it two weeks ago for $5500.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I normally buy 2-3 new light duty trucks a year from the same guy, been buying from him since I was 16. He even has a key to my office, so he can go get the trucks setup for me and then drop them off when they are done.

Any warranty work that needs to be done, he sends someone with a similar vehicle to exchange out with the broke one at no charge typically.

I send him a lot of work, but they take care of me, what more can I ask?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#16]
If it's so easy and everything is now on the up and up why use the same closed door, let me go talk to the sales manager techniques? I just bought a truck in August and once they found out I wasn't financing through the dealership they were not as helpful and tried everything  they could to try and change that. It was sleazy and high pressured. If the dealerships are going to truly go to no haggle environments then they need to embrace that practice through the whole sales process.

Buying a car should be as easy as Amazon. I go online pick out the model I want and pay for it. Then magically 2 days later it's on my door step.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You're joking right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

then be competitive

You're joking right?

And here we have the root of the issue this post was founded on.  A "your problem/my problem" disconnect.  The part in red is your problem.

It took the car buying public a long time to figure out that you're not our friends.  Now that we've figured it out and have started treating you like you've been treating us all along we're dicks?  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Boo fucking hoo. Good.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You're joking right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

then be competitive

You're joking right?

Do you really believe your own BS?  I hope not, cause you keep emphasizing the emotional "experience" of buying a car

It's a fucking business deal, no more, no less.

The sales staff is geared up to make money.  Period.  They just put a friendly smile on for all the "everyone gets a trophy so my feelings don't get hurt generation".

Remember the Saturn commercials?  Everything a dealership does is to benefit the dealership only.  No haggle price? dealership, warranties? dealership, financing? dealership.

Give it a rest.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

you mean the type of guy who's been fucked over by a car dealership and is therefore very wary of anything to do with them?  that kind?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a dealer told me to pick any car and gave it to me for free, I'd still drive away thinking "that guy screwed me somehow."  Maybe that's an unintended consequence of buying cars before the internet age, but that's how it is for me.

I know your type.  

you mean the type of guy who's been fucked over by a car dealership and is therefore very wary of anything to do with them?  that kind?

I don't understand how you can get 'fucked over' by the salesman when buying a car.  If you don't think it's a good deal, don't buy it. If you are unhappy with the deal you got, why sign the paperwork?
I have had good deals, and 'whatever' deals at the dealership, but no one ever held a gun to my head and said "Take it!  Take the deal!"
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

One of my favorite scenes.
There it all is.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't understand how you can get 'fucked over' by the salesman when buying a car.  If you don't think it's a good deal, don't buy it. If you are unhappy with the deal you got, why sign the paperwork?
I have had good deals, and 'whatever' deals at the dealership, but no one ever held a gun to my head and said "Take it!  Take the deal!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a dealer told me to pick any car and gave it to me for free, I'd still drive away thinking "that guy screwed me somehow."  Maybe that's an unintended consequence of buying cars before the internet age, but that's how it is for me.

I know your type.  

If you aren't keen to how that process works, I can see how someone would get fucked.  It's a vague process that has a lot of variability built into it, and not all customers are as informed as they should be before they get suckered into all the BS that is involved in buying cars.  Not everyone knows how to navigate that process and put the dealer's games into check.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I definitely think It's more difficult than it used to be for the dealer to make the cash.

Being informed and being able to walk away at any point has always served me well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You're joking right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

then be competitive

You're joking right?

OP, you are delusional if you think a customer should give a fuck about you or your dealership.  It takes me about a month to buy a new car and I will gladly drive down the street to save $50 or $100.  I will look out for my best interests and so should the salesperson.  I am also very likely to throw the salesperson and dealer under the bus in the survey just because.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Repeal the ridiculous laws which allow dealerships to exist in the first place and let the manufacturers sell directly to people.
View Quote

Same with alcohol:
Check out THIS movie. The same shit but it affects you frequently.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Maybe the Mom 'n Pop dealerships are not making tons but the multi-dealership owners are making millions.

Now, are the salesmen making squat? Yep.

Not my problem.  I'm making half of what my predecessors made because of the internet.  Oh well...

TC
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Last new car I bought I believe I got a good deal.

It was the slimy, swarmy finance manager that was driving hard pushing all these high priced warranties.  Considering how most warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on, I imagine that's pure profit for the dealership.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And here we have the root of the issue this post was founded on.  A "your problem/my problem" disconnect.  The part in red is your problem.

It took the car buying public a long time to figure out that you're not our friends.  Now that we've figured it out and have started treating you like you've been treating us all along we're dicks?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

then be competitive

You're joking right?

Sorry, I wasn't selling cars in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, I am not your enemy.  

I created this thread because I thought this article/blog post/whatever was interesting and highlighted a lot of how dealerships operate today.  Knowing GD's disdain for "stealerships" I thought this would be a good article to share in a positive light.  I, myself, am not a scumbag, nor are a majority of people I work with.  The scumbag salesman is a dying breed, and even I say good riddance.  In this new age of buying cars, they do more harm than good, and if they're driving future business away from the dealership, that is a loss for me.  In summary, there are many good salesmen out there that want your business.  Again, check the dealerrater.com reviews before heading out to buy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I will never buy another new car, so I don't care.
View Quote

This. Why would I ever speak to a car salesman? Even socially.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Same with alcohol sales.  Our company is allowed to sell right to the public in Canada, can't do it here in the US, tho.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Repeal the ridiculous laws which allow dealerships to exist in the first place and let the manufacturers sell directly to people.
Same with alcohol sales.  Our company is allowed to sell right to the public in Canada, can't do it here in the US, tho.

Utter BS. I buy wine by the case from vineyards all the time and have bought bourbon that way on occasion as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Then make it as quick and easy as possible.  Dicking around for 2 hours over trade-ins, dealer added options/services, etc pisses good customers off.  I didn't screw the deal over $50, you did.  If we are arguing over $50 2 hours later, it's up to you to decide whether you want the sale.

In all fairness though, with as many stupid customers with shit credit/hopelessly upside down in a trade-in/wanting the impossible you have to deal with, I understand why.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Anyone that allows a dealership to "four square" them is an idiot anyway.  I am not a smart man, but I know how much a car
costs, what mine is worth and what I am putting down, the only question is APR and a little rough math can answer that question.

Quoted:
No sympathy.  They will still try to "four square" you, or throw a gorilla mat set ontop of the carpet mats and claim they were factory,
And they cant take them off.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#34]
I find mechanics to be the bigger thieves but they somehow don't get the stigma that car sales guys get.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
 You're joking right?

View Quote

This right here is what I hate.  It shouldn't take hours to buy a damn vehicle.  Put a reasonable price on the vehicle or open negotiations with it.  

I decided to try a new tactic the last time I bought a car.....just sit there.  I had nothing else pressing to do that day, so why not.

I wanted a new toyota, I told the guy what I wanted to buy the car for (a reasonable price that would be fair to both parties) and that I had financing lined up.  The salesman started with the "how much do you want to pay per month" high pressure spill.  I told him not to worry about that, I only wanted to know the final price on the car.  I said I was willing to pay X for the car and wrote it on his little sheet of paper.  He started again with the "how much per month" and I just looked at him and pointed at the paper.  He stopped talking after a few minutes and I just sat there looking at him and the number I wrote on the paper.  We sat like that for a very uncomfortable amount of time (people hate sitting quietly) and he finally wrote down a number that was a couple thousand from my number.  I just shook my head and pointed to my number and said I was ready to pay X today.  He started the "how much do you want your payment to be" again and I just sat there again staring at him and the paper with my offer.  This repeated several times, with him walking back to the manager for extra drama, until he got down to a number within $500 of my offer.  Then I accepted that offer since I felt was close enough.

It would have been a lot quicker if he would have just started with something close to that.  There were several people looking at cars that afternoon and he likely would have been able to sell at least one other car, instead he want to dick around on the price for a couple of hours with me.  Sad thing is, I would rate this my best car buying experience.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Fuck them, they fucked everyone they could for many,  many years.

I personally heard a Sales manager for a dealership say, "All I want to do is fuck everyone, once."

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know your type.  

This +1000

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Or that 700 dollar wax job.

Its totally worth it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No sympathy.  They will still try to "four square" you, or throw a gorilla mat set ontop of the carpet mats and claim they were factory,
And they cant take them off.

Or that 700 dollar wax job.

Its totally worth it

They have to push addons. It's the only way they'll make a margin. If you don't want the shit, don't buy it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm liking this libertarian approach right here.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fuck them, they fucked everyone they could for many,  many years.
I personally heard a Sales manager for a dealership say, "All I want to do is fuck everyone, once."
View Quote

Maybe he's a nymphomaniac
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I am not responsible for how you are paid.  Stop trying to make me feel like I am.  Every dealer invests that time showing people cars, it's their job.  Since I can't walk in and get a best price within 15 minutes, it's not my fault that you "waste time" on customers.  Sure, that may not be YOU personally, but that's been my experience at every dealership I've EVER walked into....it takes those hours of time you claim of back and forth to get to their best price.  I owe you nothing for your time because it is your time that you wasted.  

When I walk into a dealership, I know what I want, the color, the options, the exact vehicle.  I don't need to see it until I figure out if your price is what I'm willing to pay.  Then I'll drive it to make sure it lives up to expectation on things that you can't find from a spec sheet.  But you don't need to spend hours showing me cars, I know what I want when I walk in....yet every experience Ive ever had....PITA to get to a best price.....not because of me, but because of the salesman and their games.  So yes, I don't give a fuck about the time you invested, because I didn't demand that investment.  You did. (in this case, "you" = whatever salesman is taking time to arrive at a price).

Example.  If I walked into a dealership and said I want a ford F150 in white, gray, green or black, XLT, 4x4, extended cab with a V-8, and you pulled out your cost sheet, showed it to me, and calculated 4-5% over that cost....I'd drive it, and if I liked the product, I'd buy it.  Total time from start to finish with the salesman....hour maybe.  The way you go about it....much longer, and the price is still potentially mushy.  You are the ones building that mush into the price, not me.  I don't trust you.  NO amount of manipulation will change that.  Only facts will.  Provide me facts, and we can get down to business.  Don't show me facts....we are going to be doing the back-and-forth so we can figure those facts out the slow way, but I'm going to figure it out or I'm not buying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

then be competitive

You're joking right?

spot on.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#42]
At any rate, I gotta go get ready for work so I can go "fuck some people over..."

Have a great day everyone.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Car dealers make more $$$ off the used car lot, and the service dept, than selling new cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Car dealers make more $$$ off the used car lot, and the service dept, than selling new cars.

This is true, and selling new cars is purely a mechanism for back end profit: extended warranties, life and A&H insurance, and financing.

ETA:
Quoted:
At any rate, I gotta go get ready for work so I can go "fuck some people over..."

Have a great day everyone.

Have fun storming the castle

Is your dealership a Stuker shop, or some other sort of process?

For those unfamiliar with what I'm referring to: Stuker
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#44]
A salesman told me the other day I topped his list of odd sales .

No test drive , no overview just walked on the lot signed the papers and left .  Cars are just to pricey for what they are any more and I said I would never buy another new one  but for the money new was better than slightly used . So now I have a 2014 exploder xlt 202 package +towing package in my drive that  was 34,000  out the door with 0% financing , it only took calling/emailing 46 dealerships and playing with them for 3 weeks .  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#45]
I should be able to order straight from the factory if I want.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I should be able to order straight from the factory if I want.
View Quote

Pay the five million for the marquee over the door and you can
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
 You're joking right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

then be competitive

You're joking right?

Sorry, I'll save the $50 bucks.  What you should do is say, go find the lowest price and I'll beat it by $50 bucks.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
This right here is what I hate.  It shouldn't take hours to buy a damn vehicle.  Put a reasonable price on the vehicle or open negotiations with it.  
I decided to try a new tactic the last time I bought a car.....just sit there.  I had nothing else pressing to do that day, so why not.
I wanted a new toyota, I told the guy what I wanted to buy the car for (a reasonable price that would be fair to both parties) and that I had financing lined up.  The salesman started with the "how much do you want to pay per month" high pressure spill.  I told him not to worry about that, I only wanted to know the final price on the car.  I said I was willing to pay X for the car and wrote it on his little sheet of paper.  He started again with the "how much per month" and I just looked at him and pointed at the paper.  He stopped talking after a few minutes and I just sat there looking at him and the number I wrote on the paper.  We sat like that for a very uncomfortable amount of time (people hate sitting quietly) and he finally wrote down a number that was a couple thousand from my number.  I just shook my head and pointed to my number and said I was ready to pay X today.  He started the "how much do you want your payment to be" again and I just sat there again staring at him and the paper with my offer.  This repeated several times, with him walking back to the manager for extra drama, until he got down to a number within $500 of my offer.  Then I accepted that offer since I felt was close enough.
It would have been a lot quicker if he would have just started with something close to that.  There were several people looking at cars that afternoon and he likely would have been able to sell at least one other car, instead he want to dick around on the price for a couple of hours with me.  Sad thing is, I would rate this my best car buying experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're joking right?

I agree.  They already know what they are able/willing to sell the vehicle for.  Why dick around.  If the person is willing to pay at or above the dealers to selling price, sell the vehicle and move on.  Save time and money and allows the dealer to do more sales.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tesla does that. Governor of Detroit wants it BANNED! Lol
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top