Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the Echo 770 for about 2 seasons (commercially) and it started running terrible. I think it was a carb related issue.

Anyway I wanted to try a new brand anyway and ended up trading it in for Huskys two biggest blowers the 580 and 570.

The Echo felt lighter but overall I like the Husqvarnas better.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I use  that one regularly (commercially).
Fo.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got the Husqy 250mph 710 cfm at Lowes for $299 a few months ago.  It's still there, same price.

Blows like a mofo.

Edit for linkage:  free shipping too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am now living in oakland.

No.  I mean OAK LAND.

They are all over.

I need some other blower recommendations.

Didn't want to spend 500.

I got the Husqy 250mph 710 cfm at Lowes for $299 a few months ago.  It's still there, same price.

Blows like a mofo.

Edit for linkage:  free shipping too

that got excellent reviews, will need to check it out and i have a 10% discount too
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A mulching blade on a good riding mower is better than any blower made.
View Quote

To a point. I mulch for a while, but then they fall too heavy, and instead of having the grass covered with leaves, the grass is covered with chopped leaves. Today was borderline. Need some rain to make the grass grow a little and rot the leaf particles a bit, or I'll have to switch to blower this week.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:07:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The dealer replaced all the fuel components, cleaned it up, and adjusted the RPMs.  From day one the blower has given me trouble.  The only way I could get it to run was at 90% choke.  That problem went away after I had work done but it came back within a couple months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have Stihl trimmers and an Echo blower.  They all use the same gas from the same can.  My blower needed $125 of work this spring to get it running. Despite the work done to it the blower runs so rough and only with 99% choke that it doesn't blow any harder than a hair dryer.  So all I have to say is Fuck Echo and get a Stihl.

What failed on it?

The dealer replaced all the fuel components, cleaned it up, and adjusted the RPMs.  From day one the blower has given me trouble.  The only way I could get it to run was at 90% choke.  That problem went away after I had work done but it came back within a couple months.

I'm a stihl fanboi, but to be honest I have seen this happen on pretty much every backpack blower we have. Seems to be an issue with echo, stihl, and husky.(definitely happens less on the husky and stihl) That being said, I love the things, and definitely don't think its overkill.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
To a point. I mulch for a while, but then they fall too heavy, and instead of having the grass covered with leaves, the grass is covered with chopped leaves. Today was borderline. Need some rain to make the grass grow a little and rot the leaf particles a bit, or I'll have to switch to blower this week.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A mulching blade on a good riding mower is better than any blower made.

wet heavy leaves isn't fun to mulch it with a mower and i have a nice honda too. when the leaves are light i will mow it over.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You'd hate living next to me and I wouldn't care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I HATE BLOWERS!

If you don't live near me you can have one, i just can't stand hearing them.

Fuck sweeping pavers.

Yeah, I'm outside blowing shit 24/7.

Shit homie, sometimes I use it in the house for general purpose dusting/dog hair relocation/furniture moving.

Crushing is a daily activity. At least it is for me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Largest shindaiwai or redmax you can afford. Buy from a farm and garden store. Not big box.
View Quote

I have a backpack Shindaiwa.  one of the best things I have ever bought.  didn't realize how tired a handheld will make you until I did the same work with a backpack.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Echo is apparantly shindaiwa since 2008.
EB508 is the same thing as a PB500 if the internet is to be believed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fuck sweeping pavers.

Shit homie, sometimes I use it in the house for general purpose dusting/dog hair relocation/furniture moving.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I HATE BLOWERS!

If you don't live near me you can have one, i just can't stand hearing them.

Fuck sweeping pavers.

A backpack blower is also way more efficient and thorough than a shop vac for cleaning vehicle interiors.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got a ryobi on sale at home depot for $180.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

i saw those too, looks good but it's only 180 mph iirc?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe they're not as powerful, but I also have a sneaking suspicion that those mph ratings are kind of fudged, maybe not measured the same between manufacturers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Blowers suck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Overkill is underrated

Blowers suck.

No they BLOW.

Vacuums suck.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm a stihl fanboi, but to be honest I have seen this happen on pretty much every backpack blower we have. Seems to be an issue with echo, stihl, and husky.(definitely happens less on the husky and stihl) That being said, I love the things, and definitely don't think its overkill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have Stihl trimmers and an Echo blower.  They all use the same gas from the same can.  My blower needed $125 of work this spring to get it running. Despite the work done to it the blower runs so rough and only with 99% choke that it doesn't blow any harder than a hair dryer.  So all I have to say is Fuck Echo and get a Stihl.

What failed on it?

It's not the blower it's the fuel. Stop using ethanol gas.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Get the backpack version, you'll see and smile.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What failed on it?

That's good advice, advice that I had implemented this spring before I took the blower to the shop.  I figured ethanol gas was causing the problems I was having, a Stilh trimmer was also starting to act up.  So this spring I drove 30 minutes to the only gas station that had ethanol free gas and got enough gas for the summer.  All the gas was treated with Stabil when I got it.  Ethanol is not to blame for the problem the blower developed.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What failed on it?

Is there a fix or does this keep happening no matter what? As I previously mentioned I was using ethanol free gas all year.  Spending $125 every spring to get the blower running again is not something I want to do.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Is there a fix or does this keep happening no matter what? As I previously mentioned I was using ethanol free gas all year.  Spending $125 every spring to get the blower running again is not something I want to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What failed on it?

Our gas in the USA is crap for carbureted engines. Too much varnish and gum right out of the pump. Fuels I test are marginal at best here in FL. Ethanol makes it worse being an oxyginate and being hygroscopic.

Best advice I can give is use the Echo or Shindaiwa Red Armor oil. The additive package is fantastic, and will help with the crappy fuel.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#20]
this is just two-days of leaves, taken from my home security system

fuck me

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As a friend told me recently after learning that I purchased a riding lawn mower to cut my 1/4 acre lot, "There's something to be said for mowing your lawn in thirty seconds." Same principle applies....
View Quote

+1

I absolutely love my backpack leaf blower.  It's one of the best purchases I've made for outdoor maintenance.  I would never go back to using a rake.  I blow the leaves into the woods between my neighbors, and they do the same.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#22]
So much for not spending 500.

Went to the Stihl dealer.

Got a 430
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Stihl is a damn good brand, it will serve you well for a long time. I use a BR600 almost daily.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
this is just two-days of leaves, taken from my home security system

fuck me

http://images42.fotki.com/v1581/photos/4/499657/4196635/125158-vi.jpg

View Quote

No maintenance and way cheaper
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I ended up getting the Husky 150BT, nice backpack blower and got the job done a lot quicker than my handheld Hitachi.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I ended up getting the Husky 150BT, nice backpack blower and got the job done a lot quicker than my handheld Hitachi.

View Quote

You missed some

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I only got about 90% of it, didn't care since I was in a hurry and getting drunk at the same time

ETA: I was impressed with the Husky 150BT was VERY Smooth at WOT
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I just spent the past hour trying to keep my backpack blower running for more than 10-15 minutes without stalling. I have a Ryobi that I bought a couple years ago and am think it's time to get something nicer. The thing is a pain in the ass and I hate using it. Some years I just mulch up the leaves with my zero turn mower instead of messing with the blower.

I have 1.5 acres with quite a few trees and was looking for some recommendations. What are people's thought about the large walk behind blowers? Do they work pretty good or am I better off with a backpack?

I'll probably go look at the Stihl models at the local shop tomorrow to see what they have. I've been pretty happy with the other Stihl products I own.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just spent the past hour trying to keep my backpack blower running for more than 10-15 minutes without stalling. I have a Ryobi that I bought a couple years ago and am think it's time to get something nicer. The thing is a pain in the ass and I hate using it. Some years I just mulch up the leaves with my zero turn mower instead of messing with the blower.

I have 1.5 acres with quite a few trees and was looking for some recommendations. What are people's thought about the large walk behind blowers? Do they work pretty good or am I better off with a backpack?

I'll probably go look at the Stihl models at the local shop tomorrow to see what they have. I've been pretty happy with the other Stihl products I own.
View Quote

The walk behinds are awesome, but don't clean out some right areas well. If I had to choose one, I'd choose a backpack. A Stijl br600 will clean almost anything you throw at it...quickly.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I had the Echo 770 for about 2 seasons (commercially) and it started running terrible. I think it was a carb related issue.

Anyway I wanted to try a new brand anyway and ended up trading it in for Huskys two biggest blowers the 580 and 570.

The Echo felt lighter but overall I like the Husqvarnas better.
View Quote

Did you empty the gas tank and run it dry before storage?  Ethanol eats the fuel lines and gums up the carb.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Walker mower tops all.

For blowers a big Stihl, 380 and up is a good place to start,  my next choice would be husky/redmax 150bt/5001 and up,  husky and redmax are the same machine with different color plastic.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#32]

people with leaves,
as some of you know i am a tool whore.

i found the best tool ever for dealing with leaves:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1672668_Leaf_season_has_begun.html&page=1#i49685286

seriously, i have some industrial strength Stihl handheld/backpack gear.  

it's not even close.  ----> not. even. close.

see also this post
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1672668_Leaf_season_has_begun.html&page=1#i49693347

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

people with leaves,
as some of you know i am a tool whore.

i found the best tool ever for dealing with leaves:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1672668_Leaf_season_has_begun.html&page=1#i49685286

seriously, i have some industrial strength Stihl handheld/backpack gear.  

it's not even close.  ----> not. even. close.

see also this post
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1672668_Leaf_season_has_begun.html&page=1#i49693347

ar-jedi
View Quote

This man knows it, and he doesn't even have the baller 18hp version. We were looking at something to sweep gravel on a huge re-roof, so I got the F18. It was way fucking overkill and was launching gravel and shit hundreds of feet away. Our guys had a blast with it. I never tried it on a yard, but I imagine it would tear up the grass pretty well.

We do use the hell out of the Billy Goat vacuums though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This man knows it, and he doesn't even have the baller 18hp version.
View Quote

you mean i can go bigger?  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

That's the spirit. You'll be able to clear your lawn AND your neighbor's at the same time.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#36]
My missus got me one for Christmas a few years ago.  Works great.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Yesterday I saw one of these being pulled by a lawn mower blowing the grass clippings off a sidewalk.

If that still isn't enough you can get a twin unit.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Seems to me that at some point a wheeled blower is going to be better than a back pack.

No such thing as too powerfull
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Seems to me that at some point a wheeled blower is going to be better than a back pack.
View Quote

^^^ THIS!  

what's the rule of thumb for combat?   --> if it's a fair fight, you did it wrong.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

^^^ THIS!  

what's the rule of thumb for combat?   --> if it's a fair fight, you did it wrong.

ar-jedi

http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/58077-1/image1.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^ THIS!  

ar-jedi

Goddamn.

Lol, around here, leaves stay on the trees year round.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

^^^ THIS!  

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^ THIS!  

ar-jedi

Do you still bust out the backpack for stuff though?  My wheelie won't ever replace the backpack.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's the spirit. You'll be able to clear your lawn AND your neighbor's at the same time.

http://www.billygoat.com/Resource_/Product/5/Image/F1802_534x575.jpg

http://youtu.be/5zYQW2ST8fQ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

I may have blown the yard with a airboat before...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://www.nrablog.com/image.axd?picture=2013%2F4%2Fnra_airboat_2013.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

http://www.nrablog.com/image.axd?picture=2013%2F4%2Fnra_airboat_2013.jpg

Is that yours?

Can I have a ride next time I am in LA?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Is that yours?

Can I have a ride next time I am in LA?
View Quote

Not mine. Sold it.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Do you still bust out the backpack for stuff though?  My wheelie won't ever replace the backpack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^ THIS!  

ar-jedi

yes, of course.

my version of getting it done starts with a handheld blower (Stihl). i basically circumnavigate the house and make a 5 or 6 foot leaf-free DMZ, getting the leaves out from behind the shrubs and so on. this takes 5-10 minutes. then i can come with the Macho Grande (Billygoat) and don't have to use it with any real precision, just move the leaves towards and into the treeline of the woods where they will reside for the rest of my life.

i take this 2 step approach primarily because as you are probably aware a big machine like the Billygoat moves a shit-ton of air a high velocity and if you want to (re)move a lot of mulch from your shrub/flower beds you can certainly do so in a big hurry.  with the handheld leaf blower i can get the leaves out into where i can blow them without redistributing cubic yards of mulch and folding over all of my wife's flowers.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Goddamn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^ THIS!  

Goddamn.

it takes about 6-8 weeks for ALL of the leaves to fall.  some trees drop them early (black walnuts, for example), some in the middle (oaks, maples), and some (like beech) just hold the leaves until the last possible moment -- so you get to leaf blow the yard when it's about 25'F outside.  

you can see below the result of one week's leaves.  i usually don't let it go quite that long.  so over the course of the fall it takes about a dozen missions outside the wire with the blower.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

it takes about 6-8 weeks for ALL of the leaves to fall.  some trees drop them early (black walnuts, for example), some in the middle (oaks, maples), and some (like beech) just hold the leaves until the last possible moment -- so you get to leaf blow the yard when it's about 25'F outside.  

you can see below the result of one week's leaves.  i usually don't let it go quite that long.  so over the course of the fall it takes about a dozen missions outside the wire with the blower.

ar-jedi

http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/58080-1/image3.jpeg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^ THIS!  

Goddamn.

ar-jedi

http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/58080-1/image3.jpeg

will the billygoat move that pile when its a couple feet high?  or do you have to go high and low on it?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:28:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
will the billygoat move that pile when its a couple feet high?  or do you have to go high and low on it?
View Quote

it will just keep pushing it back.

this is, to me, the fundamental difference with a walk-behind blower compared to a handheld or backpack blower.  with those types of man-portable units, eventually the leaf pile gets to the point where you can no longer make progress by "moving the line ahead".  there just isn't enough air volume to continue as you were, and instead you have to take measures like knocking the top back and working your way down.  

the pile never really gets too large for my walk-behind -- what ends up happening if you try to build a big leaf pile is that the high velocity/high volume airstream just blows a hole (about a foot and a half in diameter) through the pile, and then starts stripping more leaves from the perimeter as the air continues to go by (top/bottom/sides).  pretty soon (seconds) you have moved that entire section of leaves another 10 feet back.   if you push or pull the walk-behind at this point, it just continues to make the gap wider and pushing those leaves 10 feet back.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

this is, to me, the fundamental difference with a walk-behind blower compared to a handheld or backpack blower.  with those types of man-portable units, eventually the leaf pile gets to the point where you can no longer make progress by "moving the line ahead".  there just isn't enough air volume to continue as you were, and instead you have to take measures like knocking the top back and working your way down.  

the pile never really gets too large for my walk-behind -- what ends up happening if you try to build a big leaf pile is that the high velocity/high volume airstream just blows a hole (about a foot and a half in diameter) through the pile, and then starts stripping more leaves from the perimeter as the air continues to go by (top/bottom/sides).  pretty soon (seconds) you have moved that entire section of leaves another 10 feet back.   if you push or pull the walk-behind at this point, it just continues to make the gap wider and pushing those leaves 10 feet back.  

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

cool
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top