Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/22/2014 7:21:13 AM EDT
I hate my kitchen tile. My wood frame house moves and cracks tile and would crack concrete too. I have dogs and treat my house like a garage. I want a floor that won't crack, will resist smell from dog accidents, and cleans up easy when I track in mud. In a perfect world, I'd even rig a drain in it.

Any ideas for a nice garage floor that won't look like hell or smell?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Terrazo?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't read well enough, I take it garage meant house.

What about tile with dark joints and ditra underlayment?

It separates the tile from the sub floor and basically gives it an expansion joint. I think you still need to refer to deflection tables for the joist spacing though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It separates the tile from the sub floor and basically gives it an expansion joint. I think you still need to refer to deflection tables for the joist spacing though.
View Quote

I want a nice garage floor in my kitchen.

Tile is out. Grout will crack and hold smells, and it's hard to clean. That's why I want seamless. My Pomeranian has a chihuahua friend that sometimes has bad aim.

If it weren't for her, I'd go with wood.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Terrazo?
View Quote

Or PRC.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Tile is out. Grout will crack and hold smells, and it's hard to clean. That's why I want seamless. My Pomeranian has a chihuahua friend that sometimes has bad aim.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why you use the ditra, it prevents cracking. Then add in epoxy grout and it should flex just fine.

I feel you with the grout though, I did my kitchen with white grout like an idiot, I have two dogs.

Eventually I need to grind it out and do it with something like dark brown or black.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#6]
What about wood flooring with clear two part epoxy over the whole mess.

You still get the look of wood, but the epoxy is pretty much bomb proof.

Sort of like those bar tops you see made of pennies or bottle caps.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#8]
It might be less expensive to get a dog trainer.

I have a single sheet of vinyl with NO seams in the kitchen. Nothing goes through it unless there is a giant flood and it reaches where it meets the walls.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I am a project manager for a construction company and we have installed weldable vinyl flooring in hospital settings such as ER's and Operating rooms. It is manufactured by Armstrong Commercial Flooring. All seams are welded with vinyl to provide a watertight seal...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

That could be really nice. I'm just afraid I'd crack or scratch it. Sounds wonderful tho, but maybe too nice for me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#12]
sounds like you want tile.  it's not nearly as hard as you think it is to lay tile.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That could be really nice. I'm just afraid I'd crack or scratch it. Sounds wonderful tho, but maybe too nice for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if you use the industrial stuff.

I have some I painted in my truck bed during a job 5 years ago, it still looks brand new in that spot. Expensive as hell though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I hate my kitchen tile. My wood frame house moves and cracks tile and would crack concrete too.
View Quote
you need the correct underlay system

hardi board installed correctly with a kerdi/schuler underlayment, then add tiles or concrete.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

, but the epoxy is pretty much bomb proof.

View Quote
no its not, the dogs will scrtach the piss out of it with the dirt in their nails, Also the epoxy will de laminate from the wood when it moves.

Its also near impossible to fix damage w/o doing the entire top/floor.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I was a flooring installer for many years.

As others have stated, Tile can be made to work in a wood frame. After years of working with vinyl and carpet, it's only wood and ceramic tile for me.

Vinyl isn't durable enough, and carpet holds dirt, allergens, bacteria, etc

My house is a 1920 wood frame, it holds tile fine. It just has to be properly installed. Mine is floating on durarock.

Med-n-tech and other seam welded vinyls are durable and will accomplish what you want, but commercial flooring ain't cheap.

Might consider Gym Floor. !/4 "or so seamless hard rubber/vinyl. We have it in the gym at the Firehouse. Very durable. Fireman proof.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#18]
You'll need to pay, because the following are neither DIY nor residential products.

1) Armstrong Medintech seamless sheet vinyl flooring. It's the industry standard in medical and laboratory settings. Material is bacteriostatic, and the seams are heat welded - though for a kitchen that might not be an issue. Wall interface is either vinyl cover base (inexpensive, looks like ass, hard to clean) or floor material rolled up the wall and the corner welded (best moisture resistance, expense and looks depend on the installer.) Best bet would be to find a local hospital under construction, find the floor installers or their foreman, and see if you can work a side job with them using leftover material. Your color selection will be limited, but it's the only way to get it done reasonably.

2) Armstrong Medintech tiles. Same material as above, but tiles. Disadvantages are seams, the need to use vinyl cove, and more need to use floor garments to keep it good king (though one should really do the same for sheet vinyl).  Advantages are much cheaper installation, including possibly advanced diy. Same sourcing options, plus might be able to buy online or at a flooring wholesaler. It's still pretty water resistant as long as you are not trying to use it in something like a shower enclosure.

3) Linoleum sheet. Yes, actual linoleum - ground cork and linseed oil. Bacteriostatic,  matches your old house better. But only one or two manufacturers left and not that cheap. And sealants/treatments are mandatory.

To avoid:

A) Epoxy floors. If the subfloor move as much as you say, it will crack and deteriorate. You can reinforce the joists, and put a mud bed, but by the time you do that it's getting pricy.

B) Wood with anything but a "bar top" finish. Dog urine will get in and stain it irretrievably. Ask me how I know. :(

Eta: Damn, beat twice. Add to recommended:

4) Roppe rubber tile. The stuff with the raised dots. Bombproof, looks are... In the eye of the beholder.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
sounds like you want tile.  it's not nearly as hard as you think it is to lay tile.
View Quote

If you want it bad enough, you find a way to lay it......
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#21]
How about cork tile?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I thought this thread would be for cleaning an S&M dungeon
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Linoleum.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Tile.  With Schluter Ditra under it.  It is an uncoupling membrane that allows for movement under the tile.  The tile esentially "floats" on top of the subfloor instead of being hard-attached.  Cracking is virtually eliminated unless you have extremely serious structural problems.

Make sure to read the simple instructions and use the correct mortar.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The cheapest and easiest will be a roll of linoleum or vinyl flooring. Easy to install, won't crack, inexpensive, water sits on top (unless you punch holes in it), and cleans up easy.  
View Quote

Pretty much this.  Another possible option is something like this.  I laid it in the bathrooms and so far it's held up well and is easy to clean.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Terrazo?
View Quote

Terrazo is nice, but $$$$
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Line-x has a residential product.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Install plastic deck flooring with a quarter inch spacing between the planks.

Sweep and wash the dirt into the crawl space under the house.  Move when the space fills, or remove the floor every 20 years for a clean out.

An advanced installation leaves just one crack along one edge of the floor, with a trough under that track.  The trough has a water line plumbed to the high end so it can be flushed outside the house foundation.

View Quote

That's an awesome idea!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Terrazo?
View Quote

This , it is all over Florida and meets all of your requirements
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it's chihuahua-tinkle proof, it's slave-fluid proof too!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Terrazo?
View Quote

Maybe the first post does nail it. It wouldn't crack on me?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Terrazo?

Most terrazo I have seen has control joints in the form of brass rods.

I would doubt it's an option in most wood framed homes though due to the weight, it would probably have to go in at 2.5 inches or more.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#33]
..... just spray bed liner on top of whatever is there and call it good.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Line-x has a residential product.
View Quote

I went to their site, their residential gallery is impressive.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#35]

We had an epoxy garage floor at one house. It was slicker than snot when wet. I mean, it was dangerously slick when wet-- almost like ice.

For that reason alone, I would never have another epoxy floor unless there's some way to texture or amend the epoxy to aid traction.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Planning a murder-room?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
..... just spray bed liner on top of whatever is there and call it good.

View Quote

Lol, don't tempt me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#38]
HD sells a Rust-Oleum garage floor finish that sounds like what you're looking for. The tan color isn't too bad really.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-EpoxyShield-1-gal-Tan-Garage-Floor-Epoxy-2-Pack-251966/202745490?N=5yc1vZbd13
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:40:30 AM EDT
[#39]

This thread just has "Dead Hookers" written all over it.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your slave is dribbling fluids unintentionally, you're doing it wrong.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#42]
They DO make a plastic interlocking Garage Flooring that is a floating floor similar to Pergo but stronger and better designed for Garages.
Racedeck, it is not cheap but it does come in many colors and is tough stuff. Give it a look, I believe Costco sells or did sell a similar product.
http://www.racedeck.com/residentialgarageflooring.html?crtag=value&gclid=CPvJ2cPtw8ECFbRzMgodlEgAqQ
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I thought I read the words "seamed hose", and my mind went away for a bit....
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#45]
get some more animals to clean up after the other ones.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

That's what I referenced by "epoxy floor" in my previous post.  The subfloor needs to be absolutely stable.  Otherwise the flooring will separate from the substrate, and soon will start coming up in chunks.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Linoleum, supports my head gives me something to believe An ex-girlfriend of mine raised puppys, linoleum and those pee-pee pads were
lifesavers!
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I am a project manager for a construction company and we have installed weldable vinyl flooring in hospital settings such as ER's and Operating rooms. It is manufactured by Armstrong Commercial Flooring. All seams are welded with vinyl to provide a watertight seal...
View Quote

This. Even the kick plate is welded. If you didn't have a door, it would be a short swimming pool
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#49]

My plumbing is having issues, and my electrical was more than anticipated. I may not be able to change anything.

I'm thinking a big pan type thing, to put the chihuahua pads in.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#50]
You can also do Armstrong VCT tiles like that in schools, grocery stores, and hospitals.  After you lay it it is waxed which seals the joints and makes it water proof.  It is extremely cheap to lay and will move with your subfloor.  I put it in my kids rooms when I built my house and everything they have spilled so far has just wiped up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top