Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 7:06:12 AM EDT
Building an SPR currently
Having to deal with the hassle of buying stocks and LPK & inserting roll-pins.
When suddenly I realized, I already have an A2 style rifle, so why not just have an SPR upper I can stow away when not in use? Do away with my new stripped lower entirely. Would be cheaper this way, but would now have only 1 & 1/2 guns instead of 2.

What do you guys do... Have 1 lower & many uppers for different applications, or do you prefer to have several complete/unitary AR's?

ETA: I like Lee Enfields
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The hassle of building it?

It's easy. If you can't do it you shouldn't be shooting guns
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not just buy a complete lower if you think its a hassle? I mean the extra cost should give you piece of mind that you don't have to deal with the hassle of roll pins and searching for stocks and LPKs...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:19:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The hassle?  It's not hard at all & doesn't take that much time.

Don't have any extra uppers, guess they always turn into complete rifles sooner rather than later.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe hassle is too strong a word. It's hard to know who makes a good a2 buttstock, and I don't have the tools to deal with roll pins. The upper was way easier to assemble. This is my first build
Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the heck out of it
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The hassle of building it?

It's easy. If you can't do it you shouldn't be shooting guns
View Quote

This... build the lower and finish the job, uppers without lowers are just incomplete parts in my mind, 1 complete and having a half is still just 1, you've already got the lower so why go cheap now?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:27:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Maybe hassle is too strong a word. It's hard to know who makes a good a2 buttstock, and I don't have the tools to deal with roll pins. The upper was way easier to assemble. This is my first build
View Quote

You'll only need a few easy to purchase basic tools to build the lower and honestly, they're fun to build...

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Don't have any extra uppers, guess they always turn into complete rifles sooner rather than later.  
View Quote

Aint that the truth! I have purchased more than a couple PSA Premium uppers when on special just because they were a good deal. Then I figured I might as well put a away a few LPKs and BCGs..you know... "just in case" well then I found a real deal on 10 virgin lowers

For the record: I DO NOT sell guns.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

When suddenly I realized, I already have an A2 style rifle, so why not just have an SPR upper I can stow away when not in use? Do away with my new stripped lower entirely. Would be cheaper this way, but would now have only 1 & 1/2 guns instead of 2.

What do you guys do... Have 1 lower & many uppers for different applications, or do you prefer to have several complete/unitary AR's?

View Quote

I have complete guns. I hate having oddball parts lying around so much that sometimes a bcg or flash hider becomes an entire gun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll play Devil's advocate here and say just use the lower you have and swap 'em back and forth. No sense in wasting money and time building another lower.

Now send that stripped lower to me to compensate me for my opinion!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Ill be finishing my 2nd AR next month

always want more ARs
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know that feel, bro. I stepped on something on the floor last Friday. Turned out to be a spring.

So on Saturday I had to buy a stripped lower, then another parts kit... Now I have to buy or build another upper.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

You're doing it wrong.  This is a labor of love.

I say build them complete.  Better to have two rifles than just one.  Half rifles don't count.  It either functions on it's own or it doesn't.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Meh, do what you want.  I plan to "upgrade" my lowers before beginning a new one.  That basically means buying a SSA and moving my ACT to my other lower.  After that, I'll start on a new one.

It is nice having a complete rifle, though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

How'd you get the forward assist roll pin in then?

Pickup a stripped blemished lower and learn how to assemble it. It's fun and not really that hard with a vice and punch set.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Build new lower with upgraded trigger. IMHO it's the best upgrade for any AR. I have been on a trigger modifying mode, geissele and hipertouch, both really fun to shoot, and it is a world of difference from stock triggers. It's like watching standard definition to HD TV.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Sand down your roll pins to get you stared. Run a drill bit in the holes and hand turn it to clean it up.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Why are you asking?     Do whatever you want.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Build the upper to get you started... eventually you'll build that 2nd lower.  Its only a matter of time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#20]
You are at a typical crossroads for a newer AR owner. What will happen is this:  You will get your first built, then you will buy a 2,d maybe even a 3rd upper. One day you will get tired of swapping them around, and decide to build another complete lower. Over time, all your uppers will have their own lowers. It's just the way these things work out
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Being a male I could never understand why women  had to have 50 pairs of shoes and 50 purses to go with them. Now I do. Can't stop building AR15's. Started buying stripped lowers and swapping barrels. Then I started buying uppers and shelties and I can't stop. Where is Betty Ford when you need her!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I always find that if I have an upper, I will eventually buy /build another lower.
if I have a lower, then I will buy/build another upper.

it seems I'm OCD about have one too many of either and must have a complete rifle.

damn you BRD!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top