Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/21/2014 11:47:18 PM EDT
Warning SPOILER ALERT

Why was Brad Pitt called top and first sergeant when  he had an E6 rank on his sleeve?

Why did the German soldier let the young guy go at the end?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Warning SPOILER ALERT

Why was Brad Pitt called top and first sergeant when  he had an E6 rank on his sleeve?

View Quote

They called him "top" because he wasn't the "bottom".

Others called him First Sergeant because they'd never had a Sgt. before.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're welcome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Warning SPOILER ALERT

You're welcome.

That's one of the wrongest FP I have ever seen.
Great job!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#3]
First Sergeant was an administrative position. Basically, a capable senior NCO or Staff NCO was selected by the CO to be 1st Sgt. The unit War Daddy was serving in was experiencing very high combat casualty rate. He was likely not 1st Sgt very long, and if you were paying attention, he was also appointed as platoon commander by a boot 2Lt company commander. Also, 1st Sgt stripes were probably not a priority in the supply chain. Probably not a priority to put on the uniform since they expected to at least become a casualty, if not killed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Because they are calling him by his billet.

Nazi was being a dick, and potentially made the kid live with the nightmares of his forced war crime and the ghosts of the blown away crew.
Or...  was just a young kid too and did his good deed for the day.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I have not seen the movie.

But, it was sometimes the case that units facing high attrition did not have NCO's or officers of the "right" rank for their position. There were a lot of VERY young LTC's and senior NCO's in that war. They may have been trying to suggest that an E6 was the most senior NCO left in the Company.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#6]

But, it was sometimes the case that units facing high attrition did not have NCO's or officers of the "right" rank for their position. There were a lot of VERY young LTC's and senior NCO's in that war. They may have been trying to suggest that an E6 was the most senior NCO left in the Company.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:33:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:34:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:35:49 AM EDT
[#9]
David Ayer said that the SS kid was meant to be only 14 years old so it was a close mirror of Norman's character. The SS kid just wanted to live to see war's end, within a few weeks, because someone has to be around to rebuild.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
First Sergeant was an administrative position. Basically, a capable senior NCO or Staff NCO was selected by the CO to be 1st Sgt. The unit War Daddy was serving in was experiencing very high combat casualty rate. He was likely not 1st Sgt very long, and if you were paying attention, he was also appointed as platoon commander by a boot 2Lt company commander. Also, 1st Sgt stripes were probably not a priority in the supply chain. Probably not a priority to put on the uniform since they expected to at least become a casualty, if not killed.
View Quote

So, he went up from E6 to E8? I guess he could have gotten 2 field promotions over the years he was there. But I'm wondering why they didn't change the rank to be at least E7.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So, he went up from E6 to E8? I guess he could have gotten 2 field promotions over the years he was there. But I'm wondering why they didn't change the rank to be at least E7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rank was done differently back then. They didn't do E-whatever.
It was Grade X, Grade Y, etc.
First Sergeant was a billet, not a rank.

Pvt, Pfc, Cpl, Sgt, Ssgt, Tsgt, Msgt. (ignoring the Tech ranks)
1sgt and SGM were assigned duties, signified by a device added to the field between chevrons and rockers.

Check this out: Hardscrabble Farm page on WW2 rank insignia. Note that 1sgt is depicted at both 3/2 and 3/3 (Technical Sergeant and Master Sergeant) grades, also known as Grade 2 and Grade 1 Enlisted.
That's because First Sergeant was a duty position, not tied to rank scale per se.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:59:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure what the pay increase was. All of the service ranks, and pay scales were changed in 1958 to the E1 to E9 set up we currently use. Regardless, it was an administrative appointment. Depending on the commander, it could be declined, or resigned from with the NCO returned to his former rank. He could also be "fired" and returned to his former rank. In this case, we can assume he went from a Staff Sgt. in command of a tank, as well as probably being the Asst. Plt. commander, to 1st Sgt. still commanding a tank, but with administrative responsibilities, to Plt. commander in a matter of days, or possibly a few weeks. Not likely any longer than that.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:27:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I saw the movie yesterday. What a piece of shit ! I could not believe what I was seeing, it was a complete disappointment. If you haven't seen the movie, wait till it plays on TV or Netflix , don't waste your money.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:29:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I saw the movie yesterday. What a piece of shit ! I could not believe what I was seeing, it was a complete disappointment. If you haven't seen the movie, wait till it plays on TV or Netflix , don't waste your money.
View Quote
Are you the guy that I've theorized wouldn't like it because it didn't put things on a pedestal like WW2 propaganda movies?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
What was it? Not enough overt anti war stuff? Too much dirty SS/dirty Nazi stuff? As war movies/action movies go, it was pretty F'n good. Not Oscar material, but it was a quality production with solid acting, although Pena turned his accent on and off.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:33:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are you the guy that I've theorized wouldn't like it because it didn't put things on a pedestal like WW2 propaganda movies?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes! It was much worse than I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:35:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What was it? Not enough overt anti war stuff? Too much dirty SS/dirty Nazi stuff? As war movies/action movies go, it was pretty F'n good. Not Oscar material, but it was a quality production with solid acting, although Pena turned his accent on and off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a fucking cartoon!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:36:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure it had 1 or 2 lulls but it was a good movie what did you expect?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:38:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a fucking cartoon!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:49:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

What do you think of Saving private Ryan?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:59:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know the Tiger battle is propaganda? Two of the Shermans should of easily penetrated the front hull of the Tiger because they had 76mm guns. A flank shot was't needed to destroy the Tiger by the Fury tank.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:04:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

What the fuck ever.  Get help.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:15:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent movie !
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:16:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You do know the Tiger battle is propaganda? Two of the Shermans should of easily penetrated the front hull of the Tiger because they had 76mm guns. A flank shot was't needed to destroy the Tiger by the Fury tank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're right, what a piece of shit movie!  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:28:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has some flaws like most movies. PoS movie though? No.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:30:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Wait! You are military and you don't even know what I'm talking about?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait! You are military and you don't even know what I'm talking about?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:42:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

It was a joke.

I thought it was a straight up fucking awesome movie.  Reminded me a lot of my truck in Iraq (the banter and weird love/hate not the getting shot the fuck up and dying)

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:25:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Another question--did they have three round bursts in WWII?
View Quote

I lol'd
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:30:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wat?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:58:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Excellent movie !
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent movie !
Did you find The Hurt Locker to be a riveting and realistic portrayal of reality?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:28:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#32]
I could not believe what I was seeing, it was a complete disappointment.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

1sgt and SGM were assigned duties, signified by a device added to the field between chevrons and rockers.

Check this out: Hardscrabble Farm page on WW2 rank insignia. Note that 1sgt is depicted at both 3/2 and 3/3 (Technical Sergeant and Master Sergeant) grades, also known as Grade 2 and Grade 1 Enlisted.
That's because First Sergeant was a duty position, not tied to rank scale per se.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the kid came on the crew I believe he said the Msgt sent him That would be E8 as is first Sergeant
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#34]
It was an ok movie. I'd give it a 3/5
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Norman was a coward
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Norman was a coward
View Quote

One does not go from farm to steely eyed killer in eight weeks.
It's not so much cowardice as it is the initial rejection of taking the life of other men.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have not seen Fury, but Saving Private Ryan is garbage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you think SRP is garbage you will definitely think FURY is garbage.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you think SRP is garbage you will definitely think FURY is garbage.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Blood stripes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#40]
My grandfather drove a Sherman in WW2 he was an E6. Defined as Tech Sgt. Specific to tankers. The commander of the tank was known as the idiot in the turret.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Troll master race right here.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's not so much cowardice as it is the initial rejection of taking the life of other men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Norman was a coward

It appeared to me that over time he was coming out of his shell, however, the rest of those guys gave there life to do their job. He chose not to do so.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
It appeared to me that over time he was coming out of his shell, however, the rest of those guys gave there life to do their job. He chose not to do so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Norman was a coward

Actually, he was the fist to stay to do exactly that.  
Then at the end was told not to.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth - movie sucked ..lasers and shit everywhere and more kills than john rambo

A whole SS regiment with anti tank weapons throws itself against a tank with k98's

Brad pit starring as brad pit ..Would have rather seen a real actor like Eric Bana.. The rest of the cast did an outstanding job and I saw them as the men they played
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HEIL  HITLER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

low budget shit movie!

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Truth - movie sucked ..lasers and shit everywhere and more kills than john rambo

A whole SS regiment with anti tank weapons throws itself against a tank with k98's

Brad pit starring as brad pit ..Would have rather seen a real actor like Eric Bana.. The rest of the cast did an outstanding job and I saw them as the men they played
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank god somebody else see's what I am talking about !
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had a great idea and opportunity and threw  it away with a 2 dimensional actor , shitty weird music at bad intervals and a 30 second tiger tank battle
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My grandfather drove a Sherman in WW2 he was an E6. Defined as Tech Sgt. Specific to tankers. The commander of the tank was known as the idiot in the turret.
View Quote

What division? My grandfather was a Tech 5 in the 5th armored.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

When the kid came on the crew I believe he said the Msgt sent him That would be E8 as is first Sergeant
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop. Using. Modern. Rank/grade. For. WW2. Not the same.

Grade 1 was Master Sergeant/SGM/1sgt
Grade 2 was Technical Sgt/1sgt
Grade 3 was Staff Sergeant/T-3
Grade 4 was Sergeant/T-4
Grade 5 was Corporal/Technician-5th
Grade 6 was Private First Class
Grade 7 was Private

That's it. There were no other enlisted basic pay grades. 1sgt or SGM were duties, not pay grades/ranks.
T-whatever is the normal rank insignia with a T under the apex of the chevrons. Same pay, but a specialist rank--sort of an enlisted equivalent to Warrants. Useful for giving someone a bump without having to saddle extra responsibility on them, and for recognizing the owner of a specific skill-set. Radiomen, Medics, and the like were promoted to Technician grades fairly regularly.
Hell, Bill Mauldin was promoted through the Technician side because he was a Stars & Stripes cartoonist worthy of a pay bump but not an authority bump.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top