BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No,very few of their pilots are carrier qualified,only ones who have been on exchange wiith the USN or USMC.You will never see Malaysian or Kuwaiti Hornets on a carrier.

The only nation who doesn't have a carrier that you'll ever see planes doing even touch and goes on is Argentina,whose navy still dreams of another carrier
Notice that his hook isn't down

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f4/Argentine_Navy_Dassault_Super_Etendard_jet_on_USS_Ronald_Reagan.jpg/1280px-Argentine_Navy_Dassault_Super_Etendard_jet_on_USS_Ronald_Reagan.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A question would be - do those countries practice carrier landings / arrest cables at airports?  

If they did, then they may be preparing and training with the use of, and aid to, American carrier operations in complex engagements.  

If not ... then it's just because the aircraft are cheap and compliant enough.  I would imagine F-18's withstand corrosion better than most other planes, are probably easier to change out engines and such, and probably have a few other things going for them.  Perhaps the better landing gear is able to withstand lesser-trained pilots making more mistakenly harder landings?

No,very few of their pilots are carrier qualified,only ones who have been on exchange wiith the USN or USMC.You will never see Malaysian or Kuwaiti Hornets on a carrier.

The only nation who doesn't have a carrier that you'll ever see planes doing even touch and goes on is Argentina,whose navy still dreams of another carrier

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f4/Argentine_Navy_Dassault_Super_Etendard_jet_on_USS_Ronald_Reagan.jpg/1280px-Argentine_Navy_Dassault_Super_Etendard_jet_on_USS_Ronald_Reagan.jpg

It wouldn't be able to be launched from that ship if it did catch a wire.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Specifically I'm talking about countries like Canada and Australia buying F/A-18s. Why not buy non-carrier aircraft that don't have to have the heavy-duty landing gear, etc. Seems like they're getting the disadvantage without any use for the extra capability.

View Quote

Because they are "heavy duty" and come designed and built to withstand a sea type environment.

Ever notice that Australia is kind of like a big island surrounded by sea water and that their major population centers are on or near the coast.

With minimal training their aircrew can be taught to operate from US carriers if the need arises.

They got a smoking deal on the aircraft.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

F-18 isn't an air superiority fighter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Switzerland flys FA18s and they don't have a coast. What they do have is an incredibly capable air superiority aircraft that can operate from short runways.

True. It's a multi-role fighter. But air superiority is one of its roles and it performs it well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The F-18 really is underrated.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The FA-18 has to do all things decently well for a relatively low price. If your country has a small budget, that's pretty damn attractive.
The F-18 really is underrated.  

salmonid would disagree with you......
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Resale. Buying a plane that can't take off and land on a carrier is like buyin a truck without 4 wheel drive.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Swiss or Australian or Finnish Hornets aren't really any more carrier aircraft than an F-16 is just because it has an arrestor hook.
View Quote

Fail fail fuck and fail.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The real question here is why the USAF has the F-16 instead of the F/A-18.
View Quote

Because the F-18 didn't exist in that form when they bought the F-16, it was against the YF-17 which was developed off the F-5.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry guys, I have to post this....  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Maybe the ones the foreign buyers buy dont have the carrier spec stuff.
View Quote

Nope.

They come with everything that a US F-18 comes with.

The only exception may be some of the electronics/avionics and armament.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My understanding was that the Australians had their F/A-18s built without any of the carrier-specific equipment.
View Quote

Nope.

They are fully equipped as far as the mechanical end goes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:12:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My understanding was that the Australians had their F/A-18s built without any of the carrier-specific equipment.

Nope.

Wikipedia, thou hath failed me  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The USAF did it with F-4s and as far as I know, they never did any carrier landings with 'em.  If they did, I'd like to read about it.

Sometimes it's better to just go with the good aircrat that you can get and not quibble about the little stuff.

Or, in other words, "perfect is the enemy of plenty good enough"  
View Quote

No USAF Phantom ever did a carrier landing.  The landing gear and tires on AF Phantoms were not the same as Navy and USMC F-4s and AF F-4s could not handle the impact forces.  As it was the F-4E was redesigned to use to the F-105 wheel and tire to handle the increased weight of the F-4E over the F-4C and F-4D.  If you look and at F-4E or F-4G you will see a hump on the wing where the gear well was enlarged to use the larger wheel set.

But the AF Phantom made good use of the arresting hook during emergency landings, because they had no structural problems with the hook and attachment points.  F-105s for example, were more likely to have the hook rip out of the plane rather than come to a stop when they would take the cable.

We had to take the approach end cable on my first Phantom flight and were moving at over 160 knots when we took the cable.  Stopped damn quick and the hook had no problems stopping the plane in under 200ft.  And arrested landings were a regular thing for the Israeli Air Force so they could regularly use short runways of around 5000ft compared to the USAF's idea of a short runway being 8000ft.

eta: F-111s were also equipped with carrier rated tail hooks like the F-4, since the basic F-111 airframe was designed to be able to operate from carriers as the Navy's F-111B.  When they had to make emergency landings the F-111s had no problems with structural damage caused by using the hook.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:13:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I always thought it was the two engines versus one issue.  Canada and Australia both have large uninhabited areas where an engine failure on a single engine plane can lead to a fata survival situation following a successful ejection.  Not much different from the Navy operating at sea, where an engine failure on a twin engine aircraft still allows the plane to limp home on the remaining good engine.
View Quote

As someone who used to fly off carriers in a single engine helicopter this was my first thought. My single engine UH-1E was phased out and replaced with the twin engine UH-1N in 1976-77.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have a cousin whose husband is in the Australian RAF (yes I know long winded that sounds).  From the sounds of it there was some pretty messed up politics involved in the F18s acquisition.  My understanding is that the PM (Howard?)did it without consulting many of the government entities he should have and they ended up with a much smaller, lighter payload, and shorter ranged aircraft than suited a nation that big with entirely ocean locked boarders. The impression I got was that there was more corporate interests involved than national defense strategy.
View Quote

Fail.

Aussie F-18's have been in service since 1984.

John Howard was the 25th Prime Minister of Australia, from 11 March 1996 to 3 December 2007.

He had NOTHING to do with the original purchase of the F-18 aircraft.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:14:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

I thought the Swiss baby hornets were specially configured and built?  Something about stronger wing structure and correspondingly higher software G-limiting.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

why do i have a belly-button?
View Quote
You need someplace for the lint to collect.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:16:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

True. It's a multi-role fighter. But air superiority is one of its roles and it performs it well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Switzerland flys FA18s and they don't have a coast. What they do have is an incredibly capable air superiority aircraft that can operate from short runways.

Maybe against nordo airliners.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Because the F-18 didn't exist in that form when they bought the F-16, it was against the YF-17 which was developed off the F-5.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fail fail fuck and fail.

F-5.

Go use fucking Google.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I thought the Swiss baby hornets were specially configured and built?  Something about stronger wing structure and correspondingly higher software G-limiting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

Nope.

The Swiss F-18's were ordered without ground attack capability.

That capability was later added.

The Swiss aircraft have gone through the Upgrade 21 and Upgrade 25 mods.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:30:00 AM EDT
[#20]
For the same reason the USAF flew the Phantom, Spad and Corsair II. Good aircraft are just that. It doesn't matter from
where they land or take off.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:31:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nah.

What else was there at the time?  They first entered service in 84 to replace Mirage IIIs.

If they were talking about the superbugs, which replaced the F111 as well, well they are only a stopgap measure until we get F35s...which should have been here a long time ago.

Wiki says

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F/A-18_Hornet_in_Australian_service

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a cousin whose husband is in the Australian RAF (yes I know long winded that sounds).  From the sounds of it there was some pretty messed up politics involved in the F18s acquisition.  My understanding is that the PM (Howard?)did it without consulting many of the government entities he should have and they ended up with a much smaller, lighter payload, and shorter ranged aircraft than suited a nation that big with entirely ocean locked boarders. The impression I got was that there was more corporate interests involved than national defense strategy.
Nah.

What else was there at the time?  They first entered service in 84 to replace Mirage IIIs.

If they were talking about the superbugs, which replaced the F111 as well, well they are only a stopgap measure until we get F35s...which should have been here a long time ago.

Wiki says

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F/A-18_Hornet_in_Australian_service

Overall, the RAAF concluded that while both aircraft met its requirements and the F-16 was less expensive, the F/A-18 was the superior design as it was more technologically mature, easier to maintain during operational deployments, and likely to have a much lower attrition rate.[12] The Government accepted this advice, and announced on 20 October 1981 that 75 F/A-18s would be ordered. As part of this announcement, Minister for Defence Jim Killen acknowledged that the F-16 would have been seven percent cheaper to purchase, but stated that the F/A-18's lower running costs and expected attrition rate greatly reduced the difference between the lifetime cost of the two designs.[13]

You probably know more than I.  I only get to talk face to face with the guy once every few years when one of us makes our way across the pond.  Looking into it though, it does look like the acquisition ruffled some serious feathers though.  My personal experiences with the F18 are limited to talking to them on a radio for 30 minutes before they go dry and are replaced by something with more play time.  Cant tell you to much with regard to naval service.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:36:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nope.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Nope.

What are upgrade 21 and 25 mods?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:40:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Fail.
John Howard was the 25th Prime Minister of Australia, from 11 March 1996 to 3 December 2007.
He had NOTHING to do with the original purchase of the F-8 aircraft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail.

Hence why I put a question mark by the PMs name.   But way to be as confrontational as possible in your response.  I guess Ill return the favor.  We arent talking about the F8.

ETA- A little more research, Australia got 24 Super Hornets in 2007 and another 15 in 2010.  Probably the topic of conversation.
Australia Super Hornet
They spent 6 billion on an interim aircraft that didnt meet the nations needs and was out classed by their competitors.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:50:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fail fail fuck and fail.
F-5.
Go use fucking Google.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail fail fuck and fail.
F-5.
Go use fucking Google.

Okay...

That's exactly what every link regarding the YF-17 says.  Even the Light Fighter Competition video from the early 80's said the same thing.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/f-17.htm

YF-17 developed from the F-5

Verbatim from the F/A-18 book.

"Northrop revised the design to develop the YF-17..."

I've Googled the exact page of the book, as you requested.

Page 4 second paragraph.

From Wiki, so you can roll your eyes some more.

The aircraft's main design elements date to early 1965, from the internal Northrop project N-300. The N-300 was itself derived from the F-5E, and features a longer fuselage, small leading-edge root extensions (LERX), and more powerful GE15-J1A1 turbojets, rated at 9,000 lbf (40 kN) each. The wing was slightly elevated to increase ordnance flexibility. The N-300 further evolved into the P-530 Cobra, which uses 13,000 lbf (58 kN) GE15-J1A5 engines, with a very small .25 bypass ratio leading to the nickname "leaky turbojet". The bypass effectively was only a cooling stream for the rear of the engine, allowing the engine bay to be constructed of lighter, cheaper materials.[1]

The P-530's wing planform and nose section was similar to the F-5, with a trapezoidal shape formed by a sweep of 20° at the quarter-chord line, and an unswept trailing edge, but was over double the area, with 400 sq ft (37 m2) as opposed to 186 sq ft (17.3 m2) of the F-5E. Initially shoulder mounted, the wings were gradually shifted down to the mid position. Its most distinctive new feature were the LERXs that tapered into the fuselage under the cockpit. They enabled maneuvering at angles of attack exceeding 50°, by providing about 50% additional lift. The extensions also trapped airflow under them at high angles of attack, ensuring airflow into the engines. The resemblance to the head of a cobra lead to the adoption of the nickname "Cobra", often unofficially used for the YF-17.

The F-5 was so successful that Northrop spent much of the 1970s and 1980s attempting to duplicate its success with similar lightweight designs. Their first attempt to improve the F-5 was the N-300, which featured much more powerful engines and moved the wing to a higher position to allow for increased ordnance that the higher power allowed. The N-300 was further developed into the P-530 with even larger engines, this time featuring a small amount of "bypass" (turbofan) to improve cooling and allow the engine bay to be lighter, as well as much more wing surface. The P-530 also included radar and other systems considered necessary on modern aircraft. When the Light Weight Fighter program was announced, the P-530 was stripped of much of its equipment to become the P-600, and eventually the YF-17 Cobra.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hence why I put a question mark by the PMs name.   But way to be as confrontational as possible in your response.  I guess Ill return the favor.  We arent talking about the F8.

ETA- A little more research, Australia got 24 Super Hornets in 2007 and another 15 in 2010.  Probably the topic of conversation.
Australia Super Hornet
They spent 6 billion on an interim aircraft that didnt meet the nations needs and was out classed by their competitors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail.

Australia Super Hornet

Buying a jet isnt as simply as buying the best thing on the market and then you're done.  By buying supers they are keeping everything from their pilot training to their logistics very similar.  It would be silly to put up with buying a totally new aircraft and dealing with everything that comes with when it's just meant as an interim solution.  The fact that they are wired for G conversion is nice, too.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:04:34 AM EDT
[#26]
For when China invades Alaska, and the U.S. annexes Canada for defense purposes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Buying a jet isnt as simply as buying the best thing on the market and then you're done.  By buying supers they are keeping everything from their pilot training to their logistics very similar.  It would be silly to put up with buying a totally new aircraft and dealing with everything that comes with when it's just meant as an interim solution.  The fact that they are wired for G conversion is nice, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail.

Australia Super Hornet

All legitimate statements.  I was commenting more on the fact that the initial purchase of the F18s was poorly suited to Australia's geography/needs and that the recent purchases were done despite significant opposition.  The Hornet and Super Hornet are great aircraft in certain roles, but there are a LOT of people who just dont think its the right fit for an island nation the size of the US that doesnt have sufficient carrier support. I dont live there so most of my info is second hand.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:12:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

All legitimate statements.  I was commenting more on the fact that the initial purchase of the F18s was poorly suited to Australia's geography/needs and that the recent purchases were done despite significant opposition.  The Hornet and Super Hornet are great aircraft in certain roles, but there are a LOT of people who just dont think its the right fit for an island nation the size of the US that doesnt have sufficient carrier support. I dont live there so most of my info is second hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail.

Australia Super Hornet

Well if you go by Wikipedia it says the f-15 was ruled out due to no a/g (valid at the time) and the f-16 because when it loses an engine it's a lawn dart.  Valid reasons imo.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:18:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well if you go by Wikipedia it says the f-15 was ruled out due to no a/g (valid at the time) and the f-16 because when it loses an engine it's a lawn dart.  Valid reasons imo.  
View Quote

Not going to argue there.  There was more than two options though. Their rebuy ticked a LOT of people off though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:24:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A question would be - do those countries practice carrier landings / arrest cables at airports?  

If they did, then they may be preparing and training with the use of, and aid to, American carrier operations in complex engagements.  

If not ... then it's just because the aircraft are cheap and compliant enough.  I would imagine F-18's withstand corrosion better than most other planes, are probably easier to change out engines and such, and probably have a few other things going for them.  Perhaps the better landing gear is able to withstand lesser-trained pilots making more mistakenly harder landings?

REAGAN for the win!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:26:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not going to argue there.  There was more than two options though. Their rebuy ticked a LOT of people off though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but could you imagine the embarrassment if, while waiting on the F-35, they had a shipping confrontation or whatever situation with any of the Flanker equipped countries in the region and were unable to establish air superiority or lost aircraft?  F-35 delays bone yet another country.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:32:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

why do i have a belly-button?
View Quote
I don't think you have a belly-button. if you had a belly-button saigaman would of started a thread about it!

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:43:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

We have modified them. The centerline hard point is also stronger in believe.. I think they are at the latest upgrade too
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Nope.

Not sure of all the details, but latest upgrades included datalink, JHMCS/AIM-9X capabilities, targeting pod, and other avionics if I am not mistaking.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#35]
At least part of the decision was based on wanting an aircraft with two engines.  Given the wide expanse of our northern airspace, the F-16 and its single engine was deemed too risky.  The F-15 was a leading contender and there were demos done with F-15s with Canadian Markings on them.

The F/A-18 was cheaper and did both the fighter and attack role at a time when the F-15 was purely air-to-air (not a pound for air to ground as they used to say before the E model).

Canada placed the largest non-US order for F-18s back in 1982, something like 138 of the A and B models.

Several of the guys I work with have worked on the CF-188s and worked for L-3 on the upgrades to the fleet.  

Dez
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Why dont we practice landing and taking off from roads?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Greece only a few days ago retired their A-7 Corsairs.  A solid CAS and ground attack platform, just happened to be carrier capable
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://www.defenceaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/gripen_on_road.jpg

View Quote

Because there are tens of thousands of airports that work better?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail.

Australia Super Hornet

We were flying F-111's until very recently. The big hoopla in the media was about the F-35 and why we didn't even explore other options. Apparently the Eurofighter guys weren't even met at the airport and the contract was awarded for the F-35 before they even got a chance to sell their product and make a case for it. The extra Hornets was just the usual whinging about military expenditure being wasteful etc not so much the plane itself.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#40]
The Super Hornet is the best bang for the buck when it comes to Western twin-engined fighters. The Dassault Rafale and Eurotrash Typhoon are both expensive, and they were relatively late to the party.

Also, if a country requires STOL-capabilities it makes sense to buy a carrier aircraft.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://www.defenceaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/gripen_on_road.jpg

View Quote

Because your airfields aren't within range of Iskander.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Super Hornet is the best bang for the buck when it comes to Western twin-engined fighters. The Dassault Rafale and Eurotrash Typhoon are both expensive, and they were relatively late to the party.

Also, if a country requires STOL-capabilities it makes sense to buy a carrier aircraft.
View Quote

The typhoon is expensive, but it will stomp a mudhole into a superbug if operated by a competent pilot.  Way better power/weight, way less drag, massively better aerodynamics and system integration.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#43]
High value aircraft

Possible plans to have a carrier down the road

Possible collaborative effort with countries that have carriers
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The typhoon is expensive, but it will stomp a mudhole into a superbug if operated by a competent pilot.  Way better power/weight, way less drag, massively better aerodynamics and system integrations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The typhoon is expensive, but it will stomp a mudhole into a superbug if operated by a competent pilot.  Way better power/weight, way less drag, massively better aerodynamics and system integrations.

True, but the Superbug is good enough for taking down Cold War era Sukhois and MiGs.

The Superbug is also a better strike aircraft, since the Eurotrash was only offered as a A2A fighter in the first tranche.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#45]
beefed up suspensions/ landing gear
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I thinks ours still are as we maintened the equipment. Some aren't, like the Spanish Hornet who have the launch bar removed,

Some of our pilots are even carrier qualified.(some time ago)

We practice cable arrested landing on runways, but it has nothing to do with carrier landing
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Swiss or Australian or Finnish Hornets aren't really any more carrier aircraft than an F-16 is just because it has an arrestor hook.

I thinks ours still are as we maintened the equipment. Some aren't, like the Spanish Hornet who have the launch bar removed,

Some of our pilots are even carrier qualified.(some time ago)

We practice cable arrested landing on runways, but it has nothing to do with carrier landing
Your answers are very enlightening and informative.

However, I am now envisioning Swiss pilots landing on a land based runway that is mounted on hydraulics actuators like a mechanical rodeo bull.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#47]
The F/A-18 offered some advantages the F-16 didn't have at the time - mainly 2 engines and a better radar.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That depends on who the opponent is.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They might have a use for them someday. It's a form of hoarding.

View Quote

That elevates Switzerland to King of the Neckbeards.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#50]
These Brazilian Skyhawks were former Kuwaiti aircraft that fought during Desert Storm. They are back in their intended environment.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top