BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's sad is that as hippie, pot smoking liberal Vermont is, they have their gun laws right (there are none).  I still regret a little moving out of that state
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Upstate is mostly conservative.

Yeah I know, I've seen the election results for that "mostly conservative" area.

In what? the last governor race? the one where Cuomos opponent was an absolute joke of a human being?
Cause I look at my local politicians and I sure see conservatives winning.

http://i.imgur.com/ga5YQ6V.png

What's sad is that as hippie, pot smoking liberal Vermont is, they have their gun laws right (there are none).  I still regret a little moving out of that state

I can deal with pot-smoking and pole-smoking hippies a lot easier than I can deal with tin-pot tyrants and enemies of Liberty.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No expectation of privacy on gov computers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wouldn't running a keylogger on someone w/o a search warrant constitute some sort of computer security crime? Wouldn't doing that three times constitute a RICO offense?

Au Contraire, I have a total expectation of privacy on gov computers, the constitution only applies to limiting government, I expect them to follow the constitution, don't you?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Access.  How bad do you want the job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Employers are asking for facebook acess for hiring and promotions as well. Which is part of why I never had and never will facebook.

Access? Or they will type in your name to see what they can find?

How can anyone ask for any type of access to an account of yours and get away with it?

I wouldn't.

I would work very very hard at fucking them over. This is discrimination plain and simple. And with all the other mostly bullshit anti discrimination laws we have I can see this making the list. All that is needed is a case.

All of my adult jobs have required background checks, driving records, and drug tests. I don't have a problem with those things. Nor would I have a problem with any perspective employer typing my name into google and seeing what comes up, facebook profile included. I am friends with my mom, there is nothing bad, I don't have anything to hide. But it is different than what the public sees and the password is mine, to prevent people from changing my personal shit.
If true they are treating someone differently and demanding personal information simply because they have and account on a website, and someone else doesn't? That is discrimination.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I wouldn't.

I would work very very hard at fucking them over. This is discrimination plain and simple. And with all the other mostly bullshit anti discrimination laws we have I can see this making the list. All that is needed is a case.

All of my adult jobs have required background checks, driving records, and drug tests. I don't have a problem with those things. Nor would I have a problem with any perspective employer typing my name into google and seeing what comes up, facebook profile included. I am friends with my mom, there is nothing bad, I don't have anything to hide. But it is different than what the public sees and the password is mine, to prevent people from changing my personal shit.
If true they are treating someone differently and demanding personal information simply because they have and account on a website, and someone else doesn't? That is discrimination.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Employers are asking for facebook acess for hiring and promotions as well. Which is part of why I never had and never will facebook.

How can anyone ask for any type of access to an account of yours and get away with it?

I wouldn't.

I agree that its a huge invasion of privacy. So is asking for a list of all the guns you own which is something some employers are doing now in the application process.

As for why they want the password. I believe FB allows the user to limit who can see certain things on the page. They want to be able to see everything.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Au Contraire, I have a total expectation of privacy on gov computers, the constitution only applies to limiting government, I expect them to follow the constitution, don't you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wouldn't running a keylogger on someone w/o a search warrant constitute some sort of computer security crime? Wouldn't doing that three times constitute a RICO offense?

I guess you never logged into a DOD or corporate computer that clearly states your ass is being watched.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't put anything on Facebook that I don't fully well intend for the whole world to see.  Now if you want my private messages all you have to do is produce a proper search warrant.  The State has all the power it needs to investigate crimes.  Good luck getting a search warrant for records when you cannot clearly articulate what crime is alleged to have occurred.  

The whole permit process in some areas is just wildly out of control.  And it's completely unnecessary.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I agree that its a huge invasion of privacy. So is asking for a list of all the guns you own which is something some employers are doing now in the application process.

As for why they want the password. I believe FB allows the user to limit who can see certain things on the page. They want to be able to see everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't.

What jobs are you applying for? I have never seen anything like this. Are you in NY?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't put anything on Facebook that I don't fully well intend for the whole world to see.  Now if you want my private messages all you have to do is produce a proper search warrant.  The State has all the power it needs to investigate crimes.  Good luck getting a search warrant for records when you cannot clearly articulate what crime is alleged to have occurred.  

The whole permit process in some areas is just wildly out of control.  And it's completely unnecessary.  
View Quote

I hope someone sues the fuck out of these people.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Upstate is mostly conservative.
View Quote

Yeah I know, I've seen the election results for that "mostly conservative" area.
View Quote

In what? the last governor race? the one where Cuomos opponent was an absolute joke of a human being?
Cause I look at my local politicians and I sure see conservatives winning.
View Quote

http://i.imgur.com/ga5YQ6V.png
View Quote

So upstate NY wants it's gun rights privileges, huh?

Wow. Lol.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The town in the story is nowhere near NYC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shithole

I would love to see SCOTUS rape NYC over their laws.

The town in the story is nowhere near NYC.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I still don't understand why anyone would choose to live in that state.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Upstate is mostly conservative. Albany is an exception. Not rocket science here.
View Quote

Funny... every time some fucked up story comes out of Upstate NY, it always seems to occur in a place that is an "exception". Lot of exceptions up there.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can't find a single legit source for this story.
View Quote

You mean me personally talking to an officer up there isn't enough?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Funny... every time some fucked up story comes out of Upstate NY, it always seems to occur in a place that is an "exception". Lot of exceptions up there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Upstate is mostly conservative. Albany is an exception. Not rocket science here.

Anything other than NYC seems to be the exception.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone notice this in the comments of the sourced article...?

Nice morale patch.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't do Facebook.... have a nice day.
View All Quotes

"Permit denied"
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#19]
And this is one of many reasons I beat feet (again) from my home state, and will never set foot there as a resident ever again.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

"Permit denied"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"Permit denied"

This seems about right. It's easy to say "f@#$ that" or "f@#$ this" when you live in a shall-issue or no-permit-required state. In NY, apparently giving up your Facebook account and password are the price of exercising the privilege of keeping arms. I can't imagine what one has to give up if he wants the privilege of bearing arms.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This seems about right. It's easy to say "f@#$ that" or "f@#$ this" when you live in a shall-issue or no-permit-required state. In NY, apparently giving up your Facebook account and password are the price of exercising the privilege of keeping arms. I can't imagine what one has to give up if he wants the privilege of bearing arms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Permit denied"

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.  One, two or in all probability, all three.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Great idea.  Let's make it so you have to give your facebook login for welfare or an abortion.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Great idea.  Let's make it so you have to give your facebook login for welfare or an abortion.
View Quote

That would clearly be discriminatory.  Welfare and Abortions are RIGHTS.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It would be unpossible for someone to create a SECOND ACCOUNT wouldn't it?

I'm pretty sure you need NY government permission to create accounts so they've got that covered right?
View Quote

If not now, soon.  The people must be controlled.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#28]

"Give me a liter of cola"
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#29]
check out the pic in the comments of the guy with the arfcom logo on his jacket.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't even have a Facebook account.
View Quote

+1    although I also don't live in NY

Roy
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#31]

And a dozen doughnuts.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#32]
So does "Conservative" in NY mean Trotskyite or Stalinist?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#33]
That is fucked up.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#34]
The asshole in chief's email address:

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd reply with that is a good ethics test.  It would be a violation of the TOS and of good IT practices for me to share my password or log in via an unknown/possibly infected machine.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'd reply with that is a good ethics test.  It would be a violation of the TOS and of good IT practices for me to share my password or log in via an unknown/possibly infected machine.
View Quote

"I'm pretty sure surfing Facebook isn't in your job description or IT acceptable use policy."
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Too bad my Facebook fell in the river and was lost...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a permit application in progress in a nearby town.  The detective wasn't going to process my application until I let him look through my FB account.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

"I'm pretty sure surfing Facebook isn't in your job description or IT acceptable use policy."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Break it into two parts.

It would be a violation of the Facebook TOS.  

It's not an acceptable IT policy to give out passwords or to log into an account via a machine which might be compromised.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I have a permit application in progress in a nearby town.  The detective wasn't going to process my application until I let him look through my FB account.
View Quote

sounds like you have standing for a lawsuit if you care to go that route...

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The cop says it's an "internal form" that they use and the guy should not have received the form. He then says this:

They have keyloggers.  That is the only reasonable explanation.  You log in on their computer, and they fill it out after you leave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The cop says it's an "internal form" that they use and the guy should not have received the form. He then says this:

“We ask the applicant to log on to Facebook in front of us. Pages they’ve looked at, friends – anything that reflects on the character of the applicant.”

They have keyloggers.  That is the only reasonable explanation.  You log in on their computer, and they fill it out after you leave.

Hmm.  I was going to say it was illegal in NY but... apparently it's just a bill, not a law yet
BILL NO    A00443D

Prohibits an employer or educational institution from requesting or requiring that an employee, applicant or student disclose any user name, password, or
other means for accessing a personal account or service through specified electronic communications devices.

That kinda sucks.  Figures NY would be behind the times on that.
Although if they ever get around to passing it, it'd also mean they couldn't even ask to know your username at least...  but NY being NY I imagine they'll sit on that forever
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The original 13 now seem to despise freedom ... unlucky number.
View Quote

Not all of them do.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Don't worry, our key logger will remember your password.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be an opportunity to throw money at a lawyer with little chance of going anywhere.  I can't afford to play that game.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

what do they need from your facebook account?  pics?  contacts?  what?
View Quote

Extremist posts.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
They want to see how many anti Cuomo, Obama, HIllary, Socialist, dear leader, and Communist comments you post.  Probably looking for guns too........ whatever you can think of, they're looking for it.

Would be my guess anyway.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#48]
If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about. Or so I'm told by some.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

They want to see how many anti Cuomo, Obama, HIllary, Socialist, dear leader, and Communist comments you post.  Probably looking for guns too........ whatever you can think of, they're looking for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That was about it.  Guy looked long and hard of a picture I had of my daughter in the front of my canoe.  Behind here was a pack with a BB-gun muzzle poking out.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Didn't SCOTUS already rule stuff like this unconstitutional and illegal?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top