Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2014 7:42:37 PM EDT
Long story short I needed some Dewalt batteries and a angle grinder, and did some comparison shopping on amazon and ebay and ebay was over 30 dollars shipped cheaper for my order.

and now amazon wants tax on top of that ! Ebay got the sale.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Amazon isn't doing well.  It shows that the consumer has less disposable income than before.

So much for the recovery.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
It happens.  I generally check both and order from whoever is cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#3]
After amazon started charging tax in the state i go to school in, I cancelled my prime membership and just use bestbuy and such to price match them.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#4]
And the fact they charge us TAX & Shipping (some things get free shipping) , ive moved away from Amazon over the past year.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Ebay is pretty good for some things. I don't think I'll be selling there in the near future though. Paypal increased the length of time for a buyer to file a complaint to something like 6 months!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Long story short I needed some Dewalt batteries and a angle grinder, and did some comparison shopping on amazon and ebay and ebay was over 30 dollars shipped cheaper for my order.

View Quote

And it was from an authorized dealer?

Knowing the minimal profit margin, you should ask yourself how a company could sell it cheaper on Ebay.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It happens.  I generally check both and order from whoever is cheaper.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Knowing the minimal profit margin, you should ask yourself how a company could sell it cheaper on Ebay.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weigh your old battery, then weigh the new ones.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#9]
We_are_tools is the retailer. thay have awesome prices on dewalt tools. I got two genuine dewalt batteries for the price of one at lowes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Amazon isn't doing well.  It shows that the consumer has less disposable income than before.

So much for the recovery.
View Quote

Amazon used to be a lot cheaper too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I would really inspect that battery, it is likely counterfeit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dewalte are great tools, almost as good as that other brand.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#13]
It's been almost 2 weeks since I ordered a pair of in stock headphones from Amazon.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We_are_tools is the retailer. thay have awesome prices on dewalt tools. I got two genuine dewalt batteries for the price of one at lowes.
View Quote

Have you actually gotten them yet?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#15]
No. Have not recieved yet. labeled as genuine dewalt batteries, dewalt puts a barcode on thier batteries, so I will inspect when it arrives and consult dewalt for verification.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Fuck ebay.
I tried to sell a complete flight manual for an AV8 Harrier that was declassified and they would not let me sell if due to some bullshit reg. they had in place.
Assholes!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]
It is much easier to find first quality counterfeit goods on ebay.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Ebay has been cheaper all along.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't use Paypal, so Ebay is not an option.

And Amazon isn't the only alternative.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ebay has been cheaper all along.
View Quote

Sure. Where the item is $5 and shipping is $35.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Amazon isn't always cheapest.  We just bought fireplace doors.  Amazon was about $50 cheaper than the big box stores and Walmart was $40 cheaper than amazon.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I just placed an Amazon order tonight.  I saw they added sales tax to some items.  I went back and deleted all the items they collect tax on.  Fuck Moron O'Malley.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's been almost 2 weeks since I ordered a pair of in stock headphones from Amazon.
View Quote

Order sitting there for 4+ days before it even ships out?

I was getting pissed because they would give you a range of 7 days or so when you would receive your order but they would sit on for days before shipping it so it shows up on the last day.  Three orders like that in a row.  The last order I placed was for some things I didn't care about getting in a hurry.  I ordered late Friday night and had it on Tuesday.  Figures.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Yep, I've been seeing better deals from buy-it-nows on Ebay than getting stuff through Prime. That's even figuring in shipping.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#28]
If I've had problems with an order, Amazon always got things straight, even when it's a Marketplace vendor.

Ebay has been less than stellar in that department.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:07:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I love these kind of threads!  Show me more!
View All Quotes

Anything?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

And the fact they charge us TAX & Shipping (some things get free shipping) , ive moved away from Amazon over the past year.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:16:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would really inspect that battery, it is likely counterfeit.
View Quote

Well I have a whole bunch of 18V batteries from HD & Lowes (both black top & yellow top) & they seem to wear out pretty fast anyway.
I shouldn't have to spend a couple of hundred dollars on batteries every couple of years.

---

How about those replacement battery internals that they sell on E-Bay: any good or no?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:37:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've had numerous occasion when Amazon delayed shipping a "Prime eligible" item.  It will be upgraded to 2 day shipping, but it will take them several days before it actually ships from the seller's location.    I recently ordered a cable modem and selected Prime 2 day shipping and the estimated delivery date was 1 week.  Because I had an installer coming before the estimated shipping date, I had to upgrade shipping to 1 day and it arrived 1 day later.   There has been articles reporting Amazon losing money on Prime and I believe they're weening people off the quick delivery expectation.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:38:21 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Well that just cost me $10
View All Quotes

Here's how to use the cardsharp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0TRyaXJ-2c

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:57:24 AM EDT
[#35]
I noticed they started charging tax in my state as well, and it has directly impacted my buying from them.  A lot of times you can use coupons at online and brick and mortar stores where the item comes out as cheap or maybe slightly higher, but you have it right then and there.  Also, it makes for local jobs if you buy at brick and mortar.  What gets me is the brick and mortar selling for 30%+ on the same item I can get online.  For example, I bought a flashlight from amazon and REI in person had it for $95+tax whereas amazon had it for $71+tax.  So roughly $78 vs. $104...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top