Quoted:
I would have cancelled the honeymoon.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of my favorite airplanes

We were supposed to fly on a 747 for our honeymoon in Hawaii.  We had a nonstop flight from Atlanta to Honolulu.  I was so excited!  Then at the last minute stupid Delta airlines changes it to a freaking Airbus 330.  I was so pissed!
I would have cancelled the honeymoon.  

"If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going."

I agree OP. For commercial planes, the 747 always makes me pause and marvel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:07:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:08:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Always liked the DeHavilland Albatross.  She's got some curves that you just won't get with aluminum.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:15:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
not to knock the 747, but i have to give the 707 the nod for pure airliner grace.
View Quote

My vote also goes to the 707
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:28:47 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

For just a second there, it actually looked like a bird soaring.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:45:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I still remember the first time I stepped into a 747, I just stared up and down the length of the inside of the plane and could not believe how big it was. I had been in DC-10's before and they were plenty big, but the 747 was massive. Anyway, we were flying from LAX to Melbourne, AUS and it was a 16 hour flight, which is getting towards the high end of the 747ER's range, so I knew it was going to take a bit of runway to get airborne with all the fuel we had on board. The pilot gunned the engines and I could definitely feel a push back into the seat. Even though I could see we were going pretty fast, it seemed like we were going to run out of airstrip before we would lift off. Finally, we rotated and I could feel us just lifting off the ground and I looked down and there was the Pacific Ocean. I think we used every FN inch of that runway.

It was an awesome flight and I really liked the way the hot Australian girls of Qantas treated us Yanks (hot sandwiches and VB's). I also got to talk to Rachel Hunter on the plane, so that was good. I have been lucky enough to ride the 747 several times and I always look forward to it. Of course it doesn't hurt that I have always gotten to fly business class. Sitting in the upper deck is a treat.

Oh, and for domestic I'll take the 757.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:15:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I still remember the first time I stepped into a 747, I just stared up and down the length of the inside of the plane and could not believe how big it was. I had been in DC-10's before and they were plenty big, but the 747 was massive. Anyway, we were flying from LAX to Melbourne, AUS and it was a 16 hour flight, which is getting towards the high end of the 747ER's range, so I knew it was going to take a bit of runway to get airborne with all the fuel we had on board. The pilot gunned the engines and I could definitely feel a push back into the seat. Even though I could see we were going pretty fast, it seemed like we were going to run out of airstrip before we would lift off. Finally, we rotated and I could feel us just lifting off the ground and I looked down and there was the Pacific Ocean. I think we used every FN inch of that runway.

It was an awesome flight and I really liked the way the hot Australian girls of Qantas treated us Yanks (hot sandwiches and VB's). I also got to talk to Rachel Hunter on the plane, so that was good. I have been lucky enough to ride the 747 several times and I always look forward to it. Of course it doesn't hurt that I have always gotten to fly business class. Sitting in the upper deck is a treat.

View Quote

I read this like an erotic novel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:05:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

barrywhite.jpg
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:57:04 AM EDT
[#9]
F(ourth)PNI.  Constellation FTW.  Kelly Johnson was a god.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:25:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#11]
F(ourth)PNI.  Constellation FTW.  Kelly Johnson was a god.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Plenty of different airliners to satisfy most appetites.  Definitely some white knuckle moments for some passengers I bet.
http://youtu.be/7P9OAng32F0
View Quote

Dang, it's crazy how much those planes can 'jiggle'. It looks scary, but I guess the results of not being able to flex are even scarier.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#13]

They all have a fuselage, wings, empennage, and engines.

So yeah, pretty much the same.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for the 707.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Before I started working in aerospace I loved the 747. Graceful and amazing plane.

My step-dad was involved in the early test flights. His father was involved in the early engineering of it.

The 747-8 is really impressive. Not sure who in the world imagined you put 1,000,000 pounds in the air and fly it around but I'll be damned if they weren't right.

Still remember driving up 167 to work one afternoon and the first 747-8 flew by during tests. Was quite amazing to think that there was nearly a million lbs flying overhead.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My step-dad was involved in the early test flights. His father was involved in the early engineering of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was there for the roll out and first flight of the 747-8i. So was Joe Sutter. Got to meet him, congratulate him and shake his hand.

Still remember driving up 167 to work one afternoon and the first 747-8 flew by during tests. Was quite amazing to think that there was nearly a million lbs flying overhead.

Last year I was at a farmers market in Snohomish when I, and pretty much everyone else, noticed a growing roar overhead. As it increased, I assumed it was some sort of military aircraft. It got loud enough that carrying on normal conversation became difficult and then to the point that windows began shaking. I looked up and there it was, a new 747 flying a lot lower than you would normally see. I don't know what they were doing and it wouldn't surprise me if Boeing got some complaints about it and maybe even a call or two to 911, but I loved it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Every time I walk up to a 747 all I think is "this thing actually flys?"  They are huge.

Yes I know it's not the biggest plane out there, but it's pretty big.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Every time I walk up to a 747 all I think is "this thing actually flys?"  They are huge.

Yes I know it's not the biggest plane out there, but it's pretty big.

Quoted:
When I stand close to one it always amazes me that the thing can actually fly.  I think that it is said that the Wright Brother's first flight was less than the length of a 747.

Quoted:
The 747-8 is really impressive. Not sure who in the world imagined you put 1,000,000 pounds in the air and fly it around but I'll be damned if they weren't right.

This may be another factor in my bias towards the 747. I worked for Boeing at the Everett plant from 1988-1994. One of my earliest memories of that experience was my first day reporting to work at the training center in the main building. I walked under a 747 in one the assembly bays on my way in. It was the first time I had ever encountered a commercial airplane so closely from the outside. I remember being absolutely amazed at it's size and distinctly thinking "Holy hell, this thing leaves the ground?!?".

It was during this same era that the 777 was developed and introduced. Boeing had full scale mockups of the HUGE new engines that were going to power it. I stood in the nose cowl of one of them and couldn't believe how big it was. And then a 747 was used as a test bed during development of the engine.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If we're ignoring deprecated models, I'm a big fan of the 773ER. Love those huge twin engines and the 6 wheeled gear. Just a cool looking plane.
View Quote

Yeah...I'm a little biased to the 300ER as well...of course..I build part of the wings for them

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Funny thing, I've heard that very saying quite a few times.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#20]
The Comet got a bad rap (breaking in flight will do that to a plane) but the completely hidden engines make that look.

https://iblueyonder.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/comet_ext.jpg

Heh. I flew on Dan-Air Comets out of Gatwick back in the day. I guess that makes me old....
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#23]
As important and impressive as the 747 is, I've never warmed to their looks.  For pure sex in the air, I have to go VC-10.  Honorable mention to the 757.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Comet got a bad rap (breaking in flight will do that to a plane) but the completely hidden engines make that look.

https://iblueyonder.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/comet_ext.jpg

Heh. I flew on Dan-Air Comets out of Gatwick back in the day. I guess that makes me old....
View Quote

There is a Comet undergoing restoration at Seattle's Museum of Flight restoration facility, at Paine Field in Everett Wa.....near the big Boeing assembly plant.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I wish that the rest of the nose was accessible in the one at the Air and Space Museum,I've always wanted to use the spiral staircase in one since I read about it.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#26]
How about some love for the Bristol Brabazon?  Eleven feet longer, a wingspan three feet greater and two more reip engines than a B-36.  One BIG honking airplane.

fullscreen version:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miRV-SgYx7Q
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I actually like the original 737... Think it's a beautiful plane, especially in the yellow, black and polished aluminum scheme.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:14:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Great thread Boomer!

I too might be just a bit biased. Just finishing up my 19th year of flying the 747.

-100's briefly thank God, -200's for many years, -300's, -400's and -8's currently to include freighters, passengers, and LCF Dreamlifters.

The -8 is is great to fly, with a few teething problems, but wow is it smooth and fuel efficient.

Boeings finest without question.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:47:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:50:53 AM EDT
[#32]

When my Dad worked for the airlines they used to call 747s "Fat Albert."

Never thought of them as graceful or elegant.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:54:23 AM EDT
[#33]
747 is awesome, and since I've spent close to 100 hours inside of one I feel as though I have intimate knowledge thereof.

That being said I am very fond of these two birds...

ERJ 145ER

and the CRJ 200

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:59:17 AM EDT
[#34]
This has to be posted

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:02:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Concorde
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Concorde

Yep, sex with wings, that one.

The 74 is a big sexy bitch though...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:06:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Concorde

That was such a beautiful plane.

When I was a kid the Concorde would pass over my house on its way out of JFK. It was still subsonic at that point and was turning out over the ocean before going supersonic.

We used to wait for it and stare up at the sky as it passed over.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#39]
747 is the most "American" in my opinion.

I have a thing for tri-jets and tail mounted engines though so the 727 is my favorite for a turbine powered plane.

Lockheed Connie for a prop.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
747 is the most "American" in my opinion.

I have a thing for tri-jets and tail mounted engines though so the 727 is my favorite for a turbine powered plane.

Lockheed Connie for a prop.
View Quote

Yep, a Connie with her tapered nose and long angled nose gear strut is a gorgeous thing!

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Great thread Boomer!

I too might be just a bit biased. Just finishing up my 19th year of flying the 747.

-100's briefly thank God, -200's for many years, -300's, -400's and -8's currently to include freighters, passengers, and LCF Dreamlifters.

The -8 is is great to fly, with a few teething problems, but wow is it smooth and fuel efficient.

Boeings finest without question.
View Quote

Where are the pics man?!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
not to knock the 747, but i have to give the 707 the nod for pure airliner grace.
View Quote

+ 1 and I'm a big fan if the 727 , it was a rocket ship compared to today's.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The Connie is a Princess among swine.

And while most will dismiss the idea of something new being elegant, the 787 is the best big airliner yet:

http://i.imgur.com/quJlu05.jpg
View Quote

Yep. I think they look great. Sitting on the ground, winglets are taller than the fuselage.

Boeing really hit the 777 out of the park as well. Generic looking, but a workhorse.

I think the undisputed king of the workhorses, though, is the lowly 737. Boeing is delivering something like 52 a month. That's incredible.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#44]
The very first 747, RA001, gets new paint during the course of it's restoration:

Ooh, what is that in the background?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If we're going to start an "ugliest" aircraft, Aeroflot is still flying these An-2 COLTs.  This was after my cherry jump in Slovakia, 2007:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=42424
View Quote

Oh pfft...I bet you weren't even wearing a Russian chute

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#49]
tri-star
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Can't have a thread about the 747 without a full  image of the first 747, 747 RA001, The City of Everett.  

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top