Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/21/2014 5:33:54 PM EDT
I was reading another thread where people were talking about self driving cars and it reminded me of this I saw the other day.

Audi's self driving race car

This is just a prototype and it can already out drive most people I'd guess.
Who would want to watch a human drive sleepy 230MPH laps when the robo-car can do 300?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Global Warming.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Then why do people still watch horse races?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Just to gamble.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
If Formula One keeps getting more metrosexual, then I agree... racing will be dead. Maybe they'll knock the engines down to 4-bangers in a couple more years.  

Having said that... MotoGP bikes still take balls of steel to ride/race. So at least two-wheeled racing is still alive.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was reading another thread where people were talking about self driving cars and it reminded me of this I saw the other day.

Who would want to watch a human drive sleepy 230MPH laps when the robo-car can do 300?

View Quote

They took our jerbs!

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably will take longer than 10 years but the Democrats will kill it eventually,  just like the NFL.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#7]
NASCAR needs to get back to its roots and fan base.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Bullshit.  No one wants to watch machines race  or else we would all just watch computer simulations. Having a human element will always be part of racing, and as long as there are two people, one of them is going to try and race the other.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty big difference between turning laps and racing door to door.  

And I have my doubts about how fast that car would actually turn laps compared to a human.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Dems killed the NFL?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably will take longer than 10 years but the Democrats will kill it eventually,  just like the NFL.

Dems killed the NFL?

No, that was Tom Brady and the Patriots.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Dems killed the NFL?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dems killed the NFL?

In process
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Democrats will back off when the major car manufacturers explain that 90% of the safety and engine efficiency tech they've developed over the last 90 years has started with manufacturer race teams and been adopted into production designs.

Even freaking Volvo has a racing program.  Audi, Ford, BMW, Toyota, Chevy...  All have rolled their racing innovations into consumer vehicles for the better.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Lets start a robot football league.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just to gamble.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just to gamble.

Shit.  You're right.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Racing is already dying. Look at the stands at NASCAR events lately. Half empty. Go to a local drag strip. You don't see half the entries you saw back in the 1990s. Racing has largely become a rich man's sport consisting of purpose built cars that your typical person can't relate to.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And I have my doubts about how fast that car would actually turn laps compared to a human.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, put that thing on a touring car grid with 35 other cars with human drivers and it may not fair so well.
Having the track all to yourself is a completely different experience than having to compete with others for the same piece of real estate
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How so?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dems killed the NFL?

In process

How so?

He is probably referring to the P.C.ness of it all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Until they program the cars to crash every once in a while, I will keep watching F-1 with human drivers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How so?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dems killed the NFL?

In process

How so?

Redskins
Gays
asshole sports reporters
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#24]
That will kill driving for regular shmoes like you and me, but there's no reason why it would kill racing.  

Gas engines didn't kill sailboat racing either.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#25]
When everyone was sitting in line for hours or even days to get gas NASCAR shortened their races by 10%.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If Formula One keeps getting more metrosexual, then I agree... racing will be dead. Maybe they'll knock the engines down to 4-bangers in a couple more years.  

Having said that... MotoGP bikes still take balls of steel to ride/race. So at least two-wheeled racing is still alive.
View Quote

LOL, how hard would it be to put a self balancing robot into they frame of a motorcycle?  Not very.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
NASCAR needs to get back to its roots and fan base.
View Quote

By the looks of the stands it's getting there.

BTW You would need one heck of a lot of wheelchair ramps to get the old fan base to a seat.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#29]
As Maha Rushie predicts, football as we know it is dying, and it will be the sporting press, the league, and the pols who kill it. There may be people playing it in 30 years, but it will be a fundamentally different sport.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Racing died with Ayrton Senna.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That will kill driving for regular shmoes like you and me, but there's no reason why it would kill racing.  

Gas engines didn't kill sailboat racing either.  

View Quote

WHen was the last time millions of people paid to watch sailing, what is the Neilsen ratings for the last America's Cup?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Racing is already dying. Look at the stands at NASCAR events lately. Half empty. Go to a local drag strip. You don't see half the entries you saw back in the 1990s. Racing has largely become a rich man's sport consisting of purpose built cars that your typical person can't relate to.
View Quote

And lower attendance turns into a vicious cycle.

Lower attendance means less revenue and fewer corporate sponsors, which in turn means smaller purses for top finishers.

Smaller purses mean fewer cars show up on race day, and fewer cars on race day means lower attendance in the stands.

ETA: I should point out that I'm referring to small local tracks. I have no idea how NASCAR works.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey, remember how cool Battlebots was?

Yeah, me either.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Agreed, put that thing on a touring car grid with 35 other cars with human drivers and it may not fair so well.
Having the track all to yourself is a completely different experience than having to compete with others for the same piece of real estate
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, let it run alone...in the rain. Or on a day 10 degrees hotter than when the GPS was set up. Or let it run long  enough to burn off 100 lbs of fuel. All 3 scenarios result it twisted metal.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No I think more and more parents will prevent their kids from playing football and push them to soccer.

I think we need better helmets and better braces. If everyone has a knee brace, everyone will be equally slowed by it. Make them the same as shoulder pads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is probably referring to the P.C.ness of it all.

No I think more and more parents will prevent their kids from playing football and push them to soccer.

I think we need better helmets and better braces. If everyone has a knee brace, everyone will be equally slowed by it. Make them the same as shoulder pads.

Lol, soccer. You must have missed the Keep Our Own Kids Safe campaign's warning on the injuries in soccer.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Everyone will just want to watch which robot car is now the fastest.  Racing will never die, just change forms.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Bullshit.  No one wants to watch machines race  or else we would all just watch computer simulations. Having a human element will always be part of racing, and as long as there are two people, one of them is going to try and race the other.
View Quote

add elements of robot wars and I'd watch it.

make it death race with robots.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#39]
NASCAR is fading put because it became the WWE of Motorsports.

Racing as an activity and as a sport isn't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

They'll play with these the same way they play with RC cars and such. Which is fine, and might even be fun to watch.

But that's just a spectacle.

Racing is for people.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Racing will continue.  The premise of the thread leaps to the completely unsupported conclusion that drivers will somehow evaporate from race cars.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

I'm guessing his knowledge of racing comes from the documentary "Senna"
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

Agreed. One word: Schumacher

Senna was awesome, but there are still racers with heart out there. I'm personally a Seb fan, but when it comes to a guy trying to win every race with what he has, Alonso does it as well as anyone.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never mind horse races, people still watch humans race each other on foot which hasn't been cutting edge for 6000 years.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I want to see production stock car races.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

People still watch those?  Geez, the only thing more boring than a horse race is NASCAR!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd say that within 10-20 years, all of the mainstream motorsports will be dying, other than for a few rich folks. It's just getting too expensive for the common man, and it's only going to get worse....especially for the motorsports that go through a ton of fuel. If gas hits 7 or 8 bucks per gallon, towing a car to the track or strip, or loading up a trailer with sleds or ATVs, is going to cost a small fortune to get where your going. Twin screw cabin cruisers will cost a month's pay for most people to fill the tanks. And when you look at how many jobs there are in recreational motorsports and boating, that puts a huge ding in the economy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. No it didn't.

What do you think he would have to say about that assertion?

No, you need (as only one good example) a weekend or two of Moto2 and 3. MotoGP is a little more predictable, but go ahead and throw that in too.

Packs of racers that care about nothing but passing whoever is in front of them. It's great stuff ...... and motor racing alive and well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Racing will continue.  The premise of the thread leaps to the completely unsupported conclusion that drivers will somehow evaporate from race cars.
View Quote

I don't worry about that. I just worry that the squeemish weenies will gut the sport to the point that we'll be left watching bumper cars. After all... full contact football is headed towards flag football.

For REAL racing action with REAL consequences... I get a kick out of TT racing (Isle of Man). Every time I watch I'm amazed at how flat-out CRAZY it is. There's nothing like it left. Would be like racing mountain bikes down K2. Gotta give those Euros props for having the stomach to "allow" racing with regular fatal crashes.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top