User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This will end in epic failure!  

You just wait until you see how many people die when these computer controlled cars cannot stay on the icy North Dakota roads with a 35mph cross wind during an icy blizzard.

Good luck with that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why fight it?

I'd rather have a dedicated lane for Google cars so the automatons can zone out and put on makeup or text while those of us who wish to drive can have less idiots with no interest in paying attention in the "manual driving" lanes.

You just wait until you see how many people die when these computer controlled cars cannot stay on the icy North Dakota roads with a 35mph cross wind during an icy blizzard.

Good luck with that.

With what you see going on around you in the last decade, you're still convinced that people and their reflexes are superior to a computer?

Really?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How would self-driving cars solve traffic congestion?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The elites are tired of their roads being clogged up with the pesky proletariat.    

Because, allot of traffic jams are caused by unnecessary breaking of human drivers.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Well children, back in 20th century people drove their cars . . .

What do you mean, Ms. Kaminsky?  Drove their cars?

Every car was piloted by an individual human on the roadway.

So everybody was rich then?

I'm sorry, what do you mean?

Well, you said almost everyone had their own car, and they all had professional pilots driving them, it stands to reason everyone had to have a lot of money to pay for a fulltime car pilot.

No, Billy, everyone drove their car themselves?

Wasn't that dangerous?

It was. Drunks and children playing with phones were piloting cars around, and every year thousands of people died on the roads.

Phones? What's a phone?

Oh Billy, not now. This class is about the sociopolitical evils of self determination.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

let me be clear
[span style='font-weight: bold;']I DO NOT GIVE A FLYING FUCK HOW YOU RUN YOUR FUCKING TRUCK COMPANY AT FUCK ALL
I never told you how to run your business. If you want to keep perpetuating that lie we can go to the pit. But you were in fact jumping down my throat because i didn't want it. If it didn't affect me or other people why would i fucking care what the fuck you put on your trucks? None of my post allude to me wanting to dictate your business. you're playing the victim card too much with a non existent wolf.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Instead of halfing a quote like hit liberal media why don't you quote the full thing?  Whether its government dictated or not, the industry will go that way because its a better way to do business . End of story.

Besides nothing that hits the trucking industry trends down to consumers.

When's the last time you pre tripped or post tripped a truck?

How about legal hours of service driving?

Or gotten pulled over for a road side inspection without cause?

Or pulled across a scale because you had to?

Etc.

Current government regulations are killing the trucking industry. Automation will be the only way to go here in a few years for trucking companies to stay in business and consumers not to pay a fortune for their goods.

Automation. Capitalism.

NICE BACKPEDDLING. LOL.
Apparently regulations didn't weed out terrible business owners if you're still in it. So you're trying to punish consumers because we don't agree with automation on government mandated level. got it.
You're a commie troll.

Back peddle where? Read all my posts. Never one consumer push for it.

My entire point is people like you can't stop telling me how to run my business. What next for you? Going to tell me I can't buy the Barrett scope adaptor because its automated?

Keep trying. Unfortunately for you my business track record is proven successful. Has been for 95 years. Keep trying.

let me be clear
[span style='font-weight: bold;']I DO NOT GIVE A FLYING FUCK HOW YOU RUN YOUR FUCKING TRUCK COMPANY AT FUCK ALL
I never told you how to run your business. If you want to keep perpetuating that lie we can go to the pit. But you were in fact jumping down my throat because i didn't want it. If it didn't affect me or other people why would i fucking care what the fuck you put on your trucks? None of my post allude to me wanting to dictate your business. you're playing the victim card too much with a non existent wolf.

So if you do not have a problem with me if i automate my OTR trucks if/when the technology comes available onto the market, then we have no problems.  End of story. I want to run my business in the most cost effective way possible. You want to drive your car however you want to.

Free market. Or as arfcom says... Get both.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#5]
It's all just one more step toward the Inevitable Bloody Robot Holocaust I tell you

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So if you do not have a problem with me if i automate my OTR trucks if/when the technology comes available onto the market, then we have no problems.  End of story. I want to run my business in the most cost effective way possible. You want to drive your car however you want to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Instead of halfing a quote like hit liberal media why don't you quote the full thing?  Whether its government dictated or not, the industry will go that way because its a better way to do business . End of story.

Besides nothing that hits the trucking industry trends down to consumers.

When's the last time you pre tripped or post tripped a truck?

How about legal hours of service driving?

Or gotten pulled over for a road side inspection without cause?

Or pulled across a scale because you had to?

Etc.

Current government regulations are killing the trucking industry. Automation will be the only way to go here in a few years for trucking companies to stay in business and consumers not to pay a fortune for their goods.

Automation. Capitalism.

NICE BACKPEDDLING. LOL.
Apparently regulations didn't weed out terrible business owners if you're still in it. So you're trying to punish consumers because we don't agree with automation on government mandated level. got it.
You're a commie troll.

Back peddle where? Read all my posts. Never one consumer push for it.

My entire point is people like you can't stop telling me how to run my business. What next for you? Going to tell me I can't buy the Barrett scope adaptor because its automated?

Keep trying. Unfortunately for you my business track record is proven successful. Has been for 95 years. Keep trying.

let me be clear

If we dont have a problem, why did you call me a communist for not wanting it on my car? for wanting to keep my mustang? the only person who took that as an affront to your personal choice on your own shit is you.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Can you imagine what it would do to the unemployment rate? I'm sure there will still be a need for some humans, because a lot of deliveries will still need a human (UPS, gas and oil, beer truck, whatever). But if just over the road semis were all robotic, that's millions of jobs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will 100% happen.

Transportation industry will be the first to accept it.

A robot can drive a semi better then a human any day of the week.  No hours of service, plus - cheap. Once robotic controls gets down to 150k-200k per unit or so, all OTR vehicles will be robotic. No health care, no pay, no drug testing, no hours of service, etc.  

There will be trailer drop yards.  A human will come and unhook the trailer and re-hook it to another trailer.  And it will go back to drop yard A from drop yard B.

It's a needed fix right now anyways. Not enough drivers for freight, especially in the OTR world.

Can you imagine what it would do to the unemployment rate? I'm sure there will still be a need for some humans, because a lot of deliveries will still need a human (UPS, gas and oil, beer truck, whatever). But if just over the road semis were all robotic, that's millions of jobs.

Yeah how are alcoholic dump truck drivers in Virginia going to afford their beer?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah how are alcoholic dump truck drivers in Virginia going to afford their beer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will 100% happen.

Transportation industry will be the first to accept it.

A robot can drive a semi better then a human any day of the week.  No hours of service, plus - cheap. Once robotic controls gets down to 150k-200k per unit or so, all OTR vehicles will be robotic. No health care, no pay, no drug testing, no hours of service, etc.  

There will be trailer drop yards.  A human will come and unhook the trailer and re-hook it to another trailer.  And it will go back to drop yard A from drop yard B.

It's a needed fix right now anyways. Not enough drivers for freight, especially in the OTR world.

welfare?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why are arfcommers   ready to give up freedom to drive?
View Quote

Ok so here I am this morning at o Fucking dark 30 in my car on May way to the office 2.5 hours early. It's 5:50 am I am on a long two lane road that passing is illegal on.

And I'm behind some mother Fucking dock shit ass Hyundai driver who is doing 5 under the whole way.

At 5:50 am. Like anyone on the road at 5 Fucking 50 in the god Damn morning is on a pleasure drive. Self driving cars would have had this dick bag at the speed limit and me assleep and not giving a Fuck.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ok so here I am this morning at o Fucking dark 30 in my car on May way to the office 2.5 hours early. It's 5:50 am I am on a long two lane road that passing is illegal on.

And I'm behind some mother Fucking dock shit ass Hyundai driver who is doing 5 under the whole way.

At 5:50 am. Like anyone on the road at 5 Fucking 50 in the god Damn morning is on a pleasure drive. Self driving cars would have had this dick bag at the speed limit and me assleep and not giving a Fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do several drives to work a week at 2 AM for 12 hour shifts.   At no time do I wish for a self driving car.

Instead I would simply pass dick bag when an opportunity to do so safely presented itself.    To hell with double lines when assholes wont use a turn out.

But then I generally enjoy every aspect of driving.   To the point I am considering not buying a new 2015 mustang due to things like Sync, electronic assist steering, antilock brakes.    Instead I am considering a kit car that will have none of it.

To me those who want self driving cars are an enigma and part of a world I dont want to live in.    Dont want to live in their world any more than in that of the world of a rabid antigunner.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:08:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm not giving up my mustang just so trucking companies make more money. I will fight for my freedom.

you guys want to give up mobility to the government because its comfortable. the same entity that wants our guns?

You're an enemy of mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the transportation industry its a matter of bottom line.

Drivers = money.

If I can make more money why not?

Why so communist bro?

I'm not giving up my mustang just so trucking companies make more money. I will fight for my freedom.

you guys want to give up mobility to the government because its comfortable. the same entity that wants our guns?

You're an enemy of mine.

Fight for your freedom? You won't even drive across town to buy ammo!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The elites are tired of their roads being clogged up with the pesky proletariat.    

The system would be programmed based on need, not the need of each driver but need of the state.  So you hop in your automatic auto and press the start button, "I'm sorry Dave, I cannot let you do that".

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The system would be programmed based on need, not the need of each driver but need of the state.  So you hop in your automatic auto and press the start button, "I'm sorry Dave, I cannot let you do that".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  In a political "vacuum", this kind of tech would be awesome.  In today's climate, it just isn't.  I can easily see this timeline:

Driverless tech goes commercial

+5-10 years: autodrive becomes mandated by the DOT

+5 years:  the controlling software is taken over by DOT in the interest of public safety

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You do know this site has a lot of leftist infiltrators right?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the transportation industry its a matter of bottom line.

Drivers = money.

If I can make more money why not?

Why so communist bro?

You're an enemy of mine.
You do know this site has a lot of leftist infiltrators right?  

Dafuq?  Nobody is saying they want to "give up mobility" or "give up freedom".  It's still your car.  It takes you where you want to go.  On those "tinfoil" days you can still use manual control or hop in the Mustang and take it for a drive.  

Fucking wow.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Dafuq?  Nobody is saying they want to "give up mobility" or "give up freedom".  It's still your car.  It takes you where you want to go.  On those "tinfoil" days you can still use manual control or hop in the Mustang and take it for a drive.  

Fucking wow.  
View Quote

So if you like your current mobility, you can keep it?

Right.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The end of human driving is not happening in my lifetime.

Computer crashes, software glitches and hackers will ensure all of my cars for the next 50 years have a human behind the wheel.

Could you imagine the rollout of a buggy upgrade that was missed during testing?

Not happening.
View Quote

Computer bugs, glitches, and hackers can't do much worse than humans are already doing.

30,000+ people get killed in auto accidents each year due to Human driver error.  A bug, glitch, or security vulnerability which caused even a tiny fraction of those deaths would cause software and hardware to get recalled and anally probed.

It's a classic case of cutting of your nose to spite your face.  You are so afraid of the unlikely scenario of a computer glitch causing one of your vehicles to crash yet you are discounting the considerably higher probability that your own human fallibility will cause a crash in your lifetime.  You will never be as good of a driver as computers will eventually be, no matter how much you fancy yourself an expert.

The mandate is bullshit and I'll certainly miss the days of cruising but this is going to happen one way or another.  It'll be no different than how few people these days miss the days of riding in a horse drawn carriage to town.  Driving a car may be something we grew up with and thus are fond of but kids born today may not have that connection well enough to miss it in the first place.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

You act like this has NEVER happened before.  Our economy used to be 90%+ agricultural.  I'm sure at the advent of mechanized farming, many people wondered what would become of all the farm workers.  

You can be assured that if OTR trucking sheds millions of jobs, they will also shed millions in cost, which means millions in savings for consumers, who will have millions more to spend elsewhere, which is where the millions of new jobs will be created.

There is nothing new about this.  Humans have been doing more with less labor since the first time some ape-man broke off a chunk of rock and invented the cutting blade.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Right.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking wow.  

Right.  

I hate to break it to you, but the government already has as much control over your vehicle as they do your healthcare plan (if not more).  They lay out the minimum requirements and leave it to private industry to provide the product.  Or did you think that Ford threw all of that emissions bullshit and all of the safety gizmos on your car because they genuinely care how clean your air is, how many MPGs your Mustang gets, and whether or not you survive the crash that could have been avoided with autopilot?  Are all those shiny signs on the road are there for mere guidance?  Do the police not enforce driving laws?  

I assume you don't use banks, computers, cell phones, and or the internet?  Because, well, you know, the government controls all those computers and stuff.  Wouldn't want them telling you how much money you can spend, what websites you can visit, what channels you can watch, or who you can call...  And don't bother with air travel.  Those things have "autopilot", which means "FEMA detention camp rerouter" in tinfoil-ese.

The only REAL difference between programming a destination into your car and physically driving there yourself are A) what you do during the trip and B) how likely are you to get there in one piece.  You can wrap it in as much tinfoil as you want, but it isn't some government conspiracy to control where & when you travel.  It isn't being driven by some need to control your every day life.  It's being driven the natural progression of technology and the desire to use that technology to make money, increase efficiency, improve safety, generate productivity, and/or improve the quality of life.  Go ahead and drive yourself if you want.  We'll both get there.  The government will still know we are both there (if they really give a shit, that is).  I'll just be better rested, more caught up, and better prepared to start the day thanks to an extra two hours of time to focus on things that technology hasn't automated... yet.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Vehicular accidents kill more people than guns....let's ban cars.  It is for the children.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You act like this has NEVER happened before.  Our economy used to be 90%+ agricultural.  I'm sure at the advent of mechanized farming, many people wondered what would become of all the farm workers.  

You can be assured that if OTR trucking sheds millions of jobs, they will also shed millions in cost, which means millions in savings for consumers, who will have millions more to spend elsewhere, which is where the millions of new jobs will be created.

There is nothing new about this.  Humans have been doing more with less labor since the first time some ape-man broke off a chunk of rock and invented the cutting blade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If anything protectionist policies and laws will kill the self-driving car. Too many old jobs at stake to allow this type of technology to grow.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Probably will be more like the book 'Set of Wheels'.

http://www.amazon.com/Set-Wheels-Robert-Thurston/dp/0425058204

The "New Enlightenment Laws" will dictate where people live based on various demographics and put tight control over travel.  Car ownership and driving will be tightly controlled and available to those who are 'well off' in gated communities, while the rest of the people run around in older illegal cars in a wasteland of abandoned towns and roads comprised of roving gangs or other self-regulating (but mostly lawless) or religious factions.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#24]
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rush/redbarchetta.html

Red Barchetta

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about
He says it used to be a farm
Before the Motor Law
And on Sundays I elude the eyes
And hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire
Where my white-haired uncle waits

Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine
For fifty odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream

I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
I fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime

Wind
In my hair
Shifting and drifting
Mechanical music
Adrenaline surge...

Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Suddenly ahead of me
Across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide
I spin around with shrieking tires
To run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase

Drive like the wind
Straining the limits of machine and man
Laughing out loud with fear and hope
I've got a desperate plan
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded at the riverside
Race back to the farm
To dream with my uncle at the fireside
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#25]
every cop will become a computer technician, when the robot brain farts, and the truck stops or crashes. The cop will have to and reboot the system to get it going again.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

By driving up the cost of cars so much that most of us won't be able to afford them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By driving up the cost of cars so much that most of us won't be able to afford them.

Ding.  Mass transit for you, plebe.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Let's change "drive" to "think"  and "car" to "brain" in a paragraph for fun...

"Soon thereafter, as adoption
skyrockets, cities will designate areas that are Auto-Brain only. Entire job
sectors will become Auto-Brain exclusive,
allowing for more density of thinking and far higher productivity and economic
output. Roughly 10 years from now we will see the End of Human Thinking – a
seminal moment of the first half of the 21st century. I’m guessing my young
sons will not need to learn how to think — but I’ll probably teach them anyway,
as recreational thinking is fun and won’t ever go away, any more than
automobiles put an end to recreational horse riding"

Autonomous cars are nigh,,, resistance is futile and soon thereafter, thinking will be automated as well in vast sectors of the economy.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

"Soon thereafter, as adoptionskyrockets, cities will designate areas that are Auto-Brain only. Entire jobsectors will become Auto-Brain exclusive,allowing for more density of thinking and far higher productivity and economicoutput. Roughly 10 years from now we will see the End of Human Thinking – aseminal moment of the first half of the 21st century. I’m guessing my youngsons will not need to learn how to think — but I’ll probably teach them anyway,as recreational thinking is fun and won’t ever go away, any more thanautomobiles put an end to recreational horse riding"

Autonomous cars are nigh,,, resistance is futile and soon thereafter, thinking will be automated as well in vast sectors of the economy.

View Quote

At least there will finally be *some kind* of thinking going on.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I like driving too much, even in traffic, to give it up.  I'll be the old curmudgeon saying you can pry the steering wheel from my cold dead hands.

Nothing like a business trip starting in New York and ending in the hill country of Texas and driving the whole way.  Screw flying if I can help it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Soon thereafter, as adoptionskyrockets, cities will designate areas that are Auto-Brain only. Entire jobsectors will become Auto-Brain exclusive,allowing for more density of thinking and far higher productivity and economicoutput. Roughly 10 years from now we will see the End of Human Thinking – aseminal moment of the first half of the 21st century. I’m guessing my youngsons will not need to learn how to think — but I’ll probably teach them anyway,as recreational thinking is fun and won’t ever go away, any more thanautomobiles put an end to recreational horse riding"

This.  Most people don't think.  A few think, but aren't very good at it.

Only a tiny handful of people think and are any good at it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#31]
... from my cold, dead throttle foot
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:12:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I hate to break it to you, but the government already has as much control over your vehicle as they do your healthcare plan (if not more).  They lay out the minimum requirements and leave it to private industry to provide the product.  Or did you think that Ford threw all of that emissions bullshit and all of the safety gizmos on your car because they genuinely care how clean your air is, how many MPGs your Mustang gets, and whether or not you survive the crash that could have been avoided with autopilot?  Are all those shiny signs on the road are there for mere guidance?  Do the police not enforce driving laws?  

I assume you don't use banks, computers, cell phones, and or the internet?  Because, well, you know, the government controls all those computers and stuff.  Wouldn't want them telling you how much money you can spend, what websites you can visit, what channels you can watch, or who you can call...  And don't bother with air travel.  Those things have "autopilot", which means "FEMA detention camp rerouter" in tinfoil-ese.

The only REAL difference between programming a destination into your car and physically driving there yourself are A) what you do during the trip and B) how likely are you to get there in one piece.  You can wrap it in as much tinfoil as you want, but it isn't some government conspiracy to control where & when you travel.  It isn't being driven by some need to control your every day life.  It's being driven the natural progression of technology and the desire to use that technology to make money, increase efficiency, improve safety, generate productivity, and/or improve the quality of life.  Go ahead and drive yourself if you want.  We'll both get there.  The government will still know we are both there (if they really give a shit, that is).  I'll just be better rested, more caught up, and better prepared to start the day thanks to an extra two hours of time to focus on things that technology hasn't automated... yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking wow.  

Right.  

Well said.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:14:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like it did to ships?  You do know that most commercial tankers are essentially fully automated, right?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Just like it did to ships?  You do know that most commercial tankers are essentially fully automated, right?
View Quote

That doesn't really surprise me, with modern radar, electronics, gps integration, and excellent chart plotters, i can imagine the only person that really needs to actually drive the boat is the harbor pilot
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That doesn't really surprise me, with modern radar, electronics, gps integration, and excellent chart plotters, i can imagine the only person that really needs to actually drive the boat is the harbor pilot
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can go from ten people on the bridge to one or two at most.  That's what the commercial shipping world is moving to right now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#36]

No lets not. I like being in control of my life. thanks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Because, allot of traffic jams are caused by unnecessary breaking of human drivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wm-pZp_mi0

View Quote

What broke, and what's an allot?

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

With what you see going on around you in the last decade, you're still convinced that people and their reflexes are superior to a computer?

Really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why fight it?

I'd rather have a dedicated lane for Google cars so the automatons can zone out and put on makeup or text while those of us who wish to drive can have less idiots with no interest in paying attention in the "manual driving" lanes.

Good luck with that.

Really?

have you ever driven on a road like that?  I going to say no, reflexes have very little to do with it. Computers will not be able to do everything.  Shoot thay can't now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I do several drives to work a week at 2 AM for 12 hour shifts.   At no time do I wish for a self driving car.

Instead I would simply pass dick bag when an opportunity to do so safely presented itself.    To hell with double lines when assholes wont use a turn out.

But then I generally enjoy every aspect of driving.   To the point I am considering not buying a new 2015 mustang due to things like Sync, electronic assist steering, antilock brakes.    Instead I am considering a kit car that will have none of it.

To me those who want self driving cars are an enigma and part of a world I dont want to live in.    Dont want to live in their world any more than in that of the world of a rabid antigunner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 2013 var it pretty electroninc now. I hate it, I've never ever hated a car before. I do this one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Terrible analogy.  Navigating a tanker on the open sea is about as similar to driving a car on public streets as it is to posting on a web forum.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Right.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking wow.  

Right.  

No matter how much they get beaten, they always go back to their abusive cycle.  

BLIND.

as a side note, aircraft have had ever more complex auto pilots for decades and even those VERY heavily regulated systems are not infallible and need pilots.  Hwyway systems with this?  fucking insane and expensive.

this is about wresting autonomy from citizens.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#42]
He can go fuck himself with a herpaids infested rake.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Driving used to represent freedom.  The free feeling of getting out on the road, with nothing holding you back, it was escapism.  You could just go, and never come back.

Cue license plate readers, tolls, traffic cameras.  Just try to hide for any length of time while driving around.  If anything, I feel a greater level of scrutiny when I'm on the road.

I'm all for automated driving.  It would give me more opportunities to check out the view and get to know areas I'm generally just catching in my periphery as I drive past.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

As I said in a previous post, first adopters will be commercial carriers such as FedEx,  UPS, Celedon, JB Hunt, Transport America, etc.

Super large freight fleets.  The software packages would not be cheap by any means, as well as the routing would be simple - they already have drop yards and 80% or more of their traffic lanes are high way. No inner city driving, no residential driving, etc. Simply get on i80 in Youngstown, OH.  Get off i80 in Gary, Indiana.  Do 64mph, or as traffic dictates in the extreme right hand lane.  Pull into parking spot Y8787, shut truck off.

A human would come out, drop the trailer, post-trip / pre-trip the truck. Get anything repaired as needed, refuel it, re-hook it and re-park it. Dispatch would then send it on it's way after it's been green lighted.

Would also free up a lot of highway space by dispatching them in groups at night instead of during say... Rush hour traffic.  They could do 8 hour runs from 10pm till 6am.  Stop for fuel at a drop yard (which would save the company money vs buying street fuel) and then drive from 10am till 3pm.  Rinse, repeat. Less traffic during congested times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They'd better make the system able to cope with human drivers in other cars because adoption will not be overnight.   It'll take decades for a majority to become automatic, is my guess.

As I said in a previous post, first adopters will be commercial carriers such as FedEx,  UPS, Celedon, JB Hunt, Transport America, etc.

Super large freight fleets.  The software packages would not be cheap by any means, as well as the routing would be simple - they already have drop yards and 80% or more of their traffic lanes are high way. No inner city driving, no residential driving, etc. Simply get on i80 in Youngstown, OH.  Get off i80 in Gary, Indiana.  Do 64mph, or as traffic dictates in the extreme right hand lane.  Pull into parking spot Y8787, shut truck off.

A human would come out, drop the trailer, post-trip / pre-trip the truck. Get anything repaired as needed, refuel it, re-hook it and re-park it. Dispatch would then send it on it's way after it's been green lighted.

Would also free up a lot of highway space by dispatching them in groups at night instead of during say... Rush hour traffic.  They could do 8 hour runs from 10pm till 6am.  Stop for fuel at a drop yard (which would save the company money vs buying street fuel) and then drive from 10am till 3pm.  Rinse, repeat. Less traffic during congested times.

One little problem.  Winter, when I-80 becomes the Black-Ice Highway.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Awesome, fuck driving too many people suck at it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Terrible analogy.  Navigating a tanker on the open sea is about as similar to driving a car on public streets as it is to posting on a web forum.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're absolutely right, it's far more complicated and unforgiving.  Driving is easy in comparison.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You're absolutely right, it's far more complicated and unforgiving.  Driving is easy in comparison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Terrible analogy.  Navigating a tanker on the open sea is about as similar to driving a car on public streets as it is to posting on a web forum.  [img]

Brakes? we don't need no stinking brakes
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#48]
A few months of driving in DC has convinced me an Atari 2600 would be a better driver than 90% of the morons in NOVA.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Look, Science, we had a deal.

Come through on this first and then we can talk about your robot driver thingy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
A few months of driving in DC has convinced me an Atari 2600 would be a better driver than 90% of the morons in NOVA.
View Quote

Ain't that the truth.  Tidewater is no better.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top