Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is no need to mandate anything. You'll be free to keep driving manually. Enjoy your new insurance rates, if anyone will even be willing to cover you.
View Quote

I guarantee that most, if not all, of the hardline "I'll drive myself TYVM" crowd would happily ride shotgun while their car drove them to/from their 9-5 and anywhere else they need to go.  Nobody in their right mind would prefer to sit in traffic holding a big wheel staring at red lights when they could be napping, reading, cleaning guns, surfing BOTD, eating Cheetohs and/or daydreaming about their harem during the zombie apocalypse.

I see it every day at work.  We sell an automated system to Company A.  Workers at Company A bitch about the fancy new automated equipment at their factory that they don't need or want.  But if something breaks six months down the road it is the end of the world since they are forced to do the job that they didn't want the machine for in the first place.  

The simple fact is technology changes things and people don't like change.  You can either suck it up and adapt, live long enough to be replaced by someone that has embraced it, or die before that day arrives.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You mark my words this is the beginning of Skynet.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope they're not relying on google maps to get them from point A to point B.

Google Maps is constantly trying to get me to go down Class 5 roads, barred off roads, make a left when it's posted "no left turn 8 AM to 10 AM" etc.

Furthermore, anyone who commutes to an urban environment knows how shit the roads are. And if
you're not careful and hit the wrong pothole, you're going to ruin your day real fast.
So is all the infrastructure now magically going to be perfect just because the cars are on autopilot?
Municipalities and States will be flush with money to fix all the failing roads?

yeah right.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#4]
all you speeders will be stuck driving 1-2 mph below the posted limit...... a nice slow line of cars putting along like ducks in a row. there will be no left lane campers to worry about or tailgaters, because every car will be 1 car length per 10mph apart..... if you want to drive manually, it will be off road or on a race track.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#5]
YOU CAN TAKE MY STEERING WHEEL FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS MOTHER F-ER'S!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Lets just get it over with.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How would self-driving cars solve traffic congestion?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The elites are tired of their roads being clogged up with the pesky proletariat.    

How would self-driving cars solve traffic congestion?

Individually controlled, not so much. You would get the maximum benefit if they were all operated together.

Think about when you want to make left across a divided road. There are large clumps of traffic, but a few single cars strung out between the groups make you wait for ages and ages.

With computer control, you can clump all the cars together and leave large gaps. When you arrange the gaps correctly, you don't need red lights. groups of cars in tight formation just pass through the gaps of cars going the other way. Like a marching band. Also, automated zipper merging, cars in the correct lane at the right time to turn and not slow those behind them. No yo yo effect when a line of cars does have to stop or start, they would all move as a group.

There are a lot of things that could be automated that would allow probably twice as much traffic on the infrastructure we have.

NOTE that I am talking about this from an engineering perspective. There are certainly political aspects to automation that will certainly be very divisive.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think we're all just going to end up like the humans on Wall E, automating every facet of human life and just floating around consuming food based products until we die.
View Quote

I take it you wash your clothes in an old mollases tub by hand?

Automation is why you have the standard of living that you do.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I guarantee that most, if not all, of the hardline "I'll drive myself TYVM" crowd would happily ride shotgun while their car drove them to/from their 9-5 and anywhere else they need to go.  Nobody in their right mind would prefer to sit in traffic holding a big wheel staring at red lights when they could be napping, reading, cleaning guns, surfing BOTD, eating Cheetohs and/or daydreaming about their harem during the zombie apocalypse.

I see it every day at work.  We sell an automated system to Company A.  Workers at Company A bitch about the fancy new automated equipment at their factory that they don't need or want.  But if something breaks six months down the road it is the end of the world since they are forced to do the job that they didn't want the machine for in the first place.  

The simple fact is technology changes things and people don't like change.  You can either suck it up and adapt, live long enough to be replaced by someone that has embraced it, or die before that day arrives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no need to mandate anything. You'll be free to keep driving manually. Enjoy your new insurance rates, if anyone will even be willing to cover you.

This is a pretty good point.  I'll have to agree, as an option if available, Id take it.  I dont believe its 10 years away though.  Inventors always seem to under estimate time frames for technology.  They say 10 years, and 30 years later they still arent even close.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is a pretty good point.  I'll have to agree, as an option if available, Id take it.  I dont believe its 10 years away though.  Inventors always seem to under estimate time frames for technology.  They say 10 years, and 30 years later they still arent even close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do alot of 6 to 10 hour road trips every year.    An automated driving option for those would be fantastic.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I do alot of 6 to 10 hour road trips every year.    An automated driving option for those would be fantastic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even 30 min drives would be more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
all you speeders will be stuck driving 1-2 mph below the posted limit...... a nice slow line of cars putting along like ducks in a row. there will be no left lane campers to worry about or tailgaters, because every car will be 1 car length per 10mph apart..... if you want to drive manually, it will be off road or on a race track.
View Quote

If all cars are automated, they can drive a foot from each other.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you like your insurance you can keep it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It will 100% happen.

Transportation industry will be the first to accept it.

A robot can drive a semi better then a human any day of the week.  No hours of service, plus - cheap. Once robotic controls gets down to 150k-200k per unit or so, all OTR vehicles will be robotic. No health care, no pay, no drug testing, no hours of service, etc.  

There will be trailer drop yards.  A human will come and unhook the trailer and re-hook it to another trailer.  And it will go back to drop yard A from drop yard B.

It's a needed fix right now anyways. Not enough drivers for freight, especially in the OTR world.
View Quote

Can you imagine what it would do to the unemployment rate? I'm sure there will still be a need for some humans, because a lot of deliveries will still need a human (UPS, gas and oil, beer truck, whatever). But if just over the road semis were all robotic, that's millions of jobs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#15]
The first driving algorithms will be a clusterfuck in heavy traffic, because they will work like this:

Driver.onAssholeCutsIntoYourLane = function (int distanceToAsshole){

int minDistance = (currentSpeed() / 10) * CAR_LENGTH;
   if (distanceToAsshole < minDistance)
       applyBrakes();

}

So human drivers with brains will cut in front of automated drivers to move ahead in traffic (because the NHTSA will mandate that automated drivers MUST maintain "x" distance behind other drivers that will be overly generous), and the algorithms of automated drivers will apply brakes automatically. It will create a giant retarded caterpillar of brake-stomping, with a few smart human drivers lane-swapping to avoid it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
By then they will be controlling your car through a computer and just shut her down....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol no.

They can have my steering wheel when automated cop cars can catch me and pry it from my cold dead hands.

By then they will be controlling your car through a computer and just shut her down....
Car was made in 1989...

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if road speed increases significantly due to the fact that computers are controlling everything I would be ok with giving it up but road speeds would need to double or triple in order for it to be worth my while.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

For the children we have passed the "Automated driving security act".  As of 1-1-2020 any car that is not piloted by a computer is illegal, and will be towed and destroyed.  We have are also implementing a cash for manual cars program.  trade in your drivable car for a automated one and receive a 25k tax credit.  

There solved that problem.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They'd better make the system able to cope with human drivers in other cars because adoption will not be overnight.   It'll take decades for a majority to become automatic, is my guess.  

For the children we have passed the "Automated driving security act".  As of 1-1-2020 any car that is not piloted by a computer is illegal, and will be towed and destroyed.  We have are also implementing a cash for manual cars program.  trade in your drivable car for a automated one and receive a 25k tax credit.  

But who is going to pay to wire every foot of roadway (and driveway plus garages) in the US?  And what about people who cross into Canada and Mexico?  Are they going to join America's automated highways system (who's gonna get the privilege to paying for that) or will someone who crosses the border need a special vehicle that will allow manual operation when outside the US highway network?

And what about vehicles coming across from Canada and Mexico?   Does the US have to pay for replacement of Canadian and Mexican vehicles to make them compatible with the US system?

Such costs will be the reason that this system is probably a century or more away from implementation, and I personally doubt it ever will be built.  Current spending trends will see any expenditure besides government salaries, social services spending and emergency infrastructure repairs be non-existent.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but the posted speed limit would be 100mph instead of 55.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They'd better make the system able to cope with human drivers in other cars because adoption will not be overnight.   It'll take decades for a majority to become automatic, is my guess.
View Quote

Would be pretty fun fucking with the automatic cars.  Swerving at them making them stop or back up like the french
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, where is my fucking flying car powered by fusion?

It would be cool in some ways to have an automated car. No more need for designated drivers if you want to go bar hopping. Going on vacation? Leave at night, sleep on the way there, and have a lot more free time to enjoy.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Can you imagine what it would do to the unemployment rate? I'm sure there will still be a need for some humans, because a lot of deliveries will still need a human (UPS, gas and oil, beer truck, whatever). But if just over the road semis were all robotic, that's millions of jobs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will 100% happen.

A robot can drive a semi better then a human any day of the week.  No hours of service, plus - cheap. Once robotic controls gets down to 150k-200k per unit or so, all OTR vehicles will be robotic. No health care, no pay, no drug testing, no hours of service, etc.  

There will be trailer drop yards.  A human will come and unhook the trailer and re-hook it to another trailer.  And it will go back to drop yard A from drop yard B.

It's a needed fix right now anyways. Not enough drivers for freight, especially in the OTR world.

Millions of dull, monotonous jobs.  

Is that all the human brain is good for?  Repetitive work that a robot could do?

Clearly it is not, since those robots are the product of human minds.  As is their programming.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The first driving algorithms will be a clusterfuck in heavy traffic, because they will work like this:

Driver.onAssholeCutsIntoYourLane = function (int distanceToAsshole){    int minDistance = (currentSpeed() / 10) * CAR_LENGTH;    if (distanceToAsshole < minDistance)        applyBrakes();}

So human drivers with brains will cut in front of automated drivers to move ahead in traffic (because the NHTSA will mandate that automated drivers MUST maintain "x" distance behind other drivers that will be overly generous), and the algorithms of automated drivers will apply brakes automatically. It will create a giant retarded caterpillar of brake-stomping, with a few smart human drivers lane-swapping to avoid it.
View Quote

Nice code.

That is exactly how I will start driving if this happens.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope not gonna happen
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It will 100% happen.

View Quote

As soon as thy MANDATE tires that never blow and high winds that won't push a trailer around and animals that never cross the road.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I imagine most the automated driving will start out as "highway only".

Will the computer cars have glitches and crash  Yes, thats ok too.

If computer cars kill 5000 people a year, that a fraction of how many human cars kill.

Will it get rid of driving jobs?  Yes, SO WHAT.  

Not adapting new technology to "save the jobs" is weapons grade stupid... we don't have scribes around anymore, priceline and the like almost killed off the travel agent, ATMs mean fewer bank tellers, structural bolts got rid of riveters, farm machinery is why 90% of us aren't out in the field working the land, the list goes on.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Is that all the human brain is good for?  Repetitive work that a robot could do?

Clearly it is not, since those robots are the product of human minds.  As is their programming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will 100% happen.

~3% of humans are mentally capable of tasks beyond repetitive labor.

So... Automate all those slave tasks... Now what are you going to do with those 97% of humans who now literally serve no purpose?

Not everyone is cut out to be a theoretical physicist.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will 100% happen.

You would have a gain on local delivery jobs, but yeah an over all net decrease of jobs -  a lot of jobs.

But, companies would be more profitable and be 'safer' to the gov't.

It will happen, just a matter of when trucks get auto-pilot. And whether or not they will need someone 'in the seat' watching. And for how long.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

If you enjoy driving, do it on a track. I used to. It was a blast. A huge money suck, but a blast. But taking that same car on the roads sucked cock, unless I found a place with no traffic and was willing to risk a hefty ticket/points/jail time.

If you're telling me that I can sit in my car and do work while it's driving me to work, I'm down.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

As soon as thy MANDATE tires that never blow and high winds that won't push a trailer around and animals that never cross the road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will 100% happen.

They'll start putting a convex grill guard (like you see on a choo choo train engine) on all the trucks.  All the truckers put out of work by the AI will line the roads waiting for fresh roadkill to feed their families.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will 100% happen.

A computer with proper algorithms can handle all of those driving tasks better than any human.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will 100% happen.

Easy.

#1 no recaps.

#2 Sensors that control tire pressure (already in existence) + auto fillers off the air tanks. (Already in existence.) =   Truck to E stop if losing X amount of tire PSI / second.

# 3 high winds - lower profile trailers, more 'aero dynamic' trailers -  also trailer dedicated to job and no dead head miles - always loaded. ( See drop yards.)

#4 Animals happen, whether you have a computer, or real driver. For that matter, a computer + thermals could see wider, further & better then a human with better reaction times and calculated swerving.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So... Automate all those slave tasks... Now what are you going to do with those 97% of humans who now literally serve no purpose?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will 100% happen.

I believe in setting high bars.

Do you believe in setting low bars?

The reason for automation was because smart people wanted a way to use their brain to make more money faster with less effort.  To forbid automation is to subsidize stupidity and punish intelligence.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I will be driving in 10 years.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Let's see what happens in the winter when it snows in Montana and the roads are covered in ice for months...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think we're all just going to end up like the humans on Wall E, automating every facet of human life and just floating around consuming food based products until we die.
View Quote

I wont lie this sounds like the life. Computer Mountian Dew. Computer Twinkie. Computer shave my neckbeard for m'lady
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I hope they're not relying on google maps to get them from point A to point B.

Google Maps is constantly trying to get me to go down Class 5 roads, barred off roads, make a left when it's posted "no left turn 8 AM to 10 AM" etc.

Furthermore, anyone who commutes to an urban environment knows how shit the roads are. And if
you're not careful and hit the wrong pothole, you're going to ruin your day real fast.
So is all the infrastructure now magically going to be perfect just because the cars are on autopilot?
Municipalities and States will be flush with money to fix all the failing roads?

yeah right.
View Quote

To answer just one of your objections ... Think about how much money municipalities will save from not repairing the infrastructure damage directly related to poor human driving habits, paying for the man hours and equipment to clean up all of the human driver error related casualties and collisions, enforcing traffic law and so on.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Nice code.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Nice code.

You're smart. You should hire me at high high high salary to code you a smarter algorithm.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am at ease with that idea. Particularly since I think speed limits will adjust (significantly) UP without the fear of human reaction times as a variable.

An automatic car with the right sensors and processors should be able to navigate downtown Manhattan during rush hour at 60 MPH and ANY interstate at 150+.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Let's start with Asian women.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The reason for automation was because smart people wanted a way to use their brain to make more money faster with less effort.  To forbid automation is to subsidize stupidity and punish intelligence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will 100% happen.

Who said anything about prohibition?

I'm pointing out the undeniable conclusion: With sufficient automation, the majority of the human populace ceases to serve any actual purpose...

Got any ideas for how to deal with that?

It comes down to starvation, death camps, make-work or war.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#44]

I could imagine something like Demolition Man style. Automatic alongside a seamless manual mode. Traffic patterns will remain human. No law requiring you to use automatic, but insurance companies won't cover you if you get into an accident while driving manually and don't have a reason to be in manual like inclement weather. You can have an optional sensor installed in your car to make sure you are using the automatic driving mode in proper weather conditions to receive a discount on your rates or to be covered at all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm pointing out the undeniable conclusion: With sufficient automation, the majority of the human populace ceases to serve any actual purpose...

View Quote

End goal is interstellar travel and at the end of the day, population growth across the stars.

That, is how you solve over population.  Yes, earth is only so big. Yes, there are only X amount jobs for a Y population.  Only way to solve it is to make humanity's main occupation is spreading / growth.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

End goal is interstellar travel and at the end of the day, population growth across the stars.

That, is how you solve over population.  Yes, earth is only so big. Yes, there are only X amount jobs for a Y population.  Only way to solve it is to make humanity's main occupation is spreading / growth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colonizing other planets won't fix earth.  If anything, it will accelerate earth's demise.   Those with the gumption and smarts to leave will do so.  Brain drain on a planetary scale.

It would be good for the human race as a whole, tho.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Can't see it happening this way. It would require a completely different type of road. Ours is a hodgepodge of angles and intersecting lines. The only viable substitute I can forsee is a tram-style system.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The vast majority of the people made purposeless by automation are also not cut out for life in space or colonization of less hospitable planets.

So interplanetary expansion does not solve this problem.

Interstellar expansion is not an option to offload population. The timescale is too great.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

We are generations from that level of automation. By then there will be whole new sectors for people to ply their trades. Your argument is the same one that was used when the buggy whip manufacturers and farriers and the town stable were put out of business by the automobile. What did all those people do?

Cotton gin?

Robotic assembly line?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

We are generations from that level of automation. By then there will be whole new sectors for people to ply their trades. Your argument is the same one that was used when the buggy whip manufacturers and farriers and the town stable were put out of business by the automobile. What did all those people do?

Cotton gin?

Robotic assembly line?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cotton gin?

Robotic assembly line?

Ironically enough, the cotton gin actually created a huge demand for manual labor...
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top