Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#1]

It looks like the tip of a lighting rod, what's coming out of the acrylic or glass end?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont think its any type of fuse. Unless the glass is a lot thinner than it looks, I'd say that a heavy impact would make the glass fracture along the threads where it connects to the rod, which would spill the liquid, but leave the powder encased in a thick bulb of glass.

I guess it could be some type of hydrometer, or something like that, though I don't see why they'd need or want to have two materials in the bulb.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The aluminum tip, is it solid or is there a hole in it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#4]
tag - cuz now I have to know what the hell it is
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm going to guess some kind of fluid density/specific gravity measuring device.

View Quote

I don't know a damn thing about anything. But that is what it looks like to me.

ETA: Is the tip on the other side hollow in the center?
Like to direct what is ever going through the tube and focus it (like a syringe).
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Snip

I second the sea mine horn, from Wiki:
"Early mines had mechanical mechanisms to detonate them, but these were superseded in the 1870s by the Hertz Horn (or chemical horn), which was found to work reliably even after the mine had been in the sea for several years. The mine's upper half is studded with hollow lead protuberances, each containing a glass vial filled with sulfuric acid. When a ship's hull crushes the metal horn, it cracks the vial inside it, allowing the acid to run down a tube and into a lead–acid battery which until then contains no acid electrolyte. This energizes the battery, which detonates the explosive.[29]"
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
It doesn't look like an explosive ordnance item.

We used to get called out on dikfers like this and every so often, we wouldn't be able to identify one. If we could verify there were no explosive components, our responsibility for the incident would end. We would usually recommend local haz-mat getting involved.

OP, is the brass rod solid or hollow?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Snip

"Early mines had mechanical mechanisms to detonate them, but these were superseded in the 1870s by the Hertz Horn (or chemical horn), which was found to work reliably even after the mine had been in the sea for several years. The mine's upper half is studded with hollow lead protuberances, each containing a glass vial filled with sulfuric acid. When a ship's hull crushes the metal horn, it cracks the vial inside it, allowing the acid to run down a tube and into a lead–acid battery which until then contains no acid electrolyte. This energizes the battery, which detonates the explosive.[29]"
View Quote

It doesn't look like any contact horn I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Snip

View Quote

shocking
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip

Google sea mine horn, images. There is a pic of a glass tube with black liquid and white powder, no rod however.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the solid might be picric acid and the liquid sulfuric acid, when mixed they ignite. it then ignited the substance in the rod, could be a self igniting fuse or incendiary device.
View Quote

I hope that's not picric acid....

Crystallized picric acid is  explosive and can be set off with jarring or motion.  HazMat removal is not unheard of for containers of it from old high school chemistry labs.

I'd guess some kind of binary illumination device, with the brass rod for driving into the ground. Does the rod come apart at the rings or is it a solid piece?  Hollow?

Maybe it's a Secret Squirrel  vintage OSS walking cane with a cyanide handle.

....or not.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I cant find a picture, but my vote is a chemical delay fuse or detonator.

Pencil detonator.

That thing is slid into a WWII bomb with the bulb at the nose.
A cover is placed so when the nose hits, the vial is crushed.
The mix corrodes into the brass, delaying the primer in some way.

WAG, but its driving me nuts.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I don't know either but it occurs to me that GCHQ and NSS computers are going to go crazy with the sudden upsurge in internet searches on explosives and detonators...
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Google sea mine horn, images. There is a pic of a glass tube with black liquid and white powder, no rod however.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip

I looked at that a while back, all the ones I saw looked like dickfers

Tube is metal and is crushed by ship, which crushes acid vial. Some french mines had longer rods, but they looked different.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I've looked through all of my old Ordnance OP's and can't find anything that looks like that.

Is the globe glass or plastic? Is the brass rod in segments or are the notches machined into it? Can you tell if the rod is hollow? There could be a rod inside that would slide down on impact and break the barrier between the liquid and the powder.

I would say it is not a chemical horn as the electrolyte ampules were almost always contained in lead tubes to prevent seawater from getting in and preventing the acid from energizing the battery.

If the globe is glass it could be some kind of pyrotechnic igniter using an acid/chlorate mechanism.

If you can get more pictures with dimensions, I'll submit it to the Marine Corps EOD Newsletter for a Whazzit?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Had a local guy come to me, they found this in an old guys house.

At first glance, it looks like it's an explosive device (like a fuze) because of the powder/liquid arrangement making it look like a binary.

But no-one in my company or any of the other EOD techs we've spoken to has seen one before and it also makes no sense as it would require the breaking of two pieces of glass to work as a binary instead of the usual one.

Is this thing something completely normal in some other field I have not been exposed to?

[url=http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr92/MontanaM3/Misc/10733648_873521496000879_33880295_n_zpsd0680b80.jpg]  

l  
View Quote

Just for clarification.

Police are not EOD.
You have to be military to hold the title of EOD.

The locals are most likely HDD grads who use the crab.

I need more pictures.

Show the ends

Also it is not a Binary . Binary's  mix together to make something.

And just taking a swag.

The liquid would not be in contact with metal because they are generally acidic in nature.

Most chemical initiators use a acid that reacts with the powdery compound.

Is the clear container glass or plastic.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've looked through all of my old Ordnance OP's and can't find anything that looks like that.

Is the globe glass or plastic?

Is the brass rod in segments or are the notches machined into it? Can you tell if the rod is hollow? There could be a rod inside that would slide down on impact and break the barrier between the liquid and the powder.

View Quote

So now you have a JarHead.. Master of the Black inerting arts
and me asking the same thing
Former Army EOD
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Crystallized picric acid is  explosive and can be set off with jarring or motion.  HazMat removal is not unheard of for containers of it from old high school chemistry labs.

I'd guess some kind of binary illumination device, with the brass rod for driving into the ground. Does the rod come apart at the rings or is it a solid piece?  Hollow?

....or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the solid might be picric acid and the liquid sulfuric acid, when mixed they ignite. it then ignited the substance in the rod, could be a self igniting fuse or incendiary device.

....or not.

Picric Acid is a main charge explosive. The crystals are dangerous enough but, the main hazard is that the Picric Acid reacts with most metals to form Picramide Salts that are extremely sensitive to friction. The Japanese in WWII used a lot of Picric Acid and the normal procedure was to line the explosive cavity with shellac or varnish to prevent the salts from forming. Towards the end of the war they skipped this step and poured it in straight and the Picric Acid would react with the brass of the fuzes and make them extremely dangerous to remove. Our procedure for defuzing Japanese rounds was to always do it remotely.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Are you still there OP..

How about some pics of the ends.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#21]
The rod is one piece and those grooves are machined in. At the end is a small piece of what looks like lead, it looks like a pointed bullet and can be seen in pic2.

The top globe is glass, as are the internal vials holding the brown liquid and the white powder.

At first glance, it looked like breaking something was designed to mix the powder and liquid like your standard acid/oxidizer type binary. However, if that os the case I fail to see how it operates as the internal glass vials are thick with more than one piece of glass to be broken to ensure a mix.

After speaking to a large part of the Southern US active EOD (Military and contractors) guys, with no-one knowing what it is, this is why I posted.

I was expecting someone on page one to be all "You fool, its the actuator for an 18th century automated dog walking machine" but no such luck.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I fail to see how it operates as the internal glass vials are thick with more than one piece of glass to be broken to ensure a mix.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I fail to see how it operates as the internal glass vials are thick with more than one piece of glass to be broken to ensure a mix.

Quoted:

There could be a rod inside that would slide down on impact and break the barrier between the liquid and the powder.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#23]
How about a picture of the black and yellow thing on the end.  Does it have some sort of fitting for tubing or something?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Some kind of antique temperature warning gauge? Henweigh is placed so the rod part extends down inside a piece of industrial machinery so only the end of the glass part is visible. Lead probe makes contact with something important. Brass rod conducts heat from the something important. Too much heat makes the brown liquid expand and break the internal glass barrier. Brown liquid mixes with white powder. Operator sees the white dot turn red and shuts off the machine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Some kind of over heat switch.

ETA: Completes a circuit when it gets too hot.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Some kind of antique temperature warning gauge? Henweigh is placed so the rod part extends down inside a piece of industrial machinery so only the end of the glass part is visible. Lead probe makes contact with something important. Brass rod conducts heat from the something important. Too much heat makes the brown liquid expand and break the internal glass barrier. Brown liquid mixes with white powder. Operator sees the white dot turn red and shuts off the machine.
View Quote

That is one of the better swags I've heard.

Barometer works too

But I willing to bet if it is UXO.. Its French.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#27]
OP if you wave it around and shout "Wingardium Leviosa" does anything happen?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#28]
In for education
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I could see this.

OP, heat the end and see what happens.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Reply from active duty AF EOD relative "no fucking clue, need more info, any idea what decade it might be from...neat though"
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

OP, heat the end and see what happens.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

I recall something like this that was used in steel furnaces. Temperature probe, when the desired temperature is reached, the liquid is pushed into the powder, and it goes off like a flare.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:26:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP if you wave it around and shout "Wingardium Leviosa" does anything happen?

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks an awful lot like a root feeder design that was sold in the 70's/80's.  Stick concentrated fertilizer in the bulb (the white stuff), hook a hose on to the top (black thing?), insert rod into ground near tree and turn on the water to fertilize.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow, that picture really brings back the memories.  Back when I was just a young lad hanging around my grandfather's hardware store.  He had a big barrel of those in one corner that he sold for 75 cents each.  Can you believe that in those days, for only six bits you could have your own?  It seemed like everybody wanted one.  I vividly remember old man Wilson bitching about how he could buy them for 15 cents all day long back when he was a kid.

Fifteen cents!  It must have really been cool back in the day, to drop by the local general store and buy surplus Springfield muskets bored out to 12 gauge for only $1.50 and have enough change left over to pick up three of these with $.05 left for an ice cold Coke.  Wow, I never thought I would see one again.

Really, I have no idea...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
They always want to blow shit up for any reason
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

EOD want to just blow it up to be safe

They always want to blow shit up for any reason
Can I blow it up?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:38:18 PM EDT
[#37]
That looks like a certified genuine thingy. Closely related to a doodad.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#38]
To be serious, give me diameter of the rod, diameter of the glass bulb, overall length, length of the rod, and diameter/length of the machined grooves.  I'll see what I can do tomorrow.

If you're not comfortable with sending it publicly, pm me.

ETA and length of the glass bulb.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#39]
and is that an AHURA/first defender in one of the pics?  Did you get a match?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:48:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Holy shit I haven't used one of those in ages!  I cannot believe no one can recog
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:00:08 AM EDT
[#41]
This guy knows.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

That's an earth worm driver outer.  You hook lectricity to the yellow knob and a spark gap is made in the clear part. Push the brass rod into the dirt. This drives the earth worms crazy and they come to the surface where they are easily picked up for fishing.  
View Quote
you may be closer than you think

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#43]
I guess I need to guess differently.
Reminds me of a fuse/link used for high voltage transfer. One end screws into a movable base and the other snaps into another contact point. Over voltage blows the end out and trips the link...
That all I got.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:33:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Some kind of over heat switch.

ETA: Completes a circuit when it gets too hot.

View Quote
like in a commercial range hood to fire the Ansul System

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:41:27 AM EDT
[#45]
It is a possibility that the rod is bimetallic correct? Appears to be from what I could see.

Like a thermocouple where the light grey metal inside the brass tube would expand enough to break the seal into the white powder allowing it to mix to do who knows what.

My best guess.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#46]

I just emailed him... We'll see.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:49:41 AM EDT
[#47]
The center "rod" component of this ww1 french delay fuse looks similar?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Tag for updates.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:39:38 AM EDT
[#49]
OST
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:55:02 AM EDT
[#50]
That is the fabled FO stick.  It belonged to the first Earl of Fent.

Who constructed the Fo Stick is unfortunately unknown.  It is rumored, however, that the First Earl had him walled up alive in the dungeons of his estate in order to keep the mysteries of the Fo Stick to himself.

To operate the Fo Stick you casually brush the silver tip against the leg of one hot woman, then brush the leg of the next hot woman.  If the two women are ready for a threesome, the tip of the Fo Stick burns brightly with the light of 87 million candles.

Fo wisely, elucidate.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top