Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
My base instincts and pattern recognition indicate to me it may be something along these lines.

Anyone know how these gas sensors work?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never seen ARFcom stumped this long.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well the local EOD and Fire Dept (Who dont know what it is and sent me the pics) are gone for the day, hopefully more updates tomorrow.

EOD want to just blow it up to be safe, I don't want them to do that.

Trying to get it in my hands for further investigation.
View Quote

Inform the EOD guys that they need to make sure nothing is radioactive before dispersing the shit out of it.

Lots of old gizmos are hot.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Its an antique crack pipe!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a gourami. Don't break it, I know a guy who's looking for one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#6]
mercury switches.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I am going to vote lightning rod.  The notches are for the weather vane to swivel on.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#8]
What does the device with the + key say it is?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you tried unscrewing the rod from the glass bulb?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
the fish?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Impact fuse? IE, lands nose down, breaks and mixes?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Interociter.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks like the rings turned into the brass allow it to be inserted into something else and locked in at a particular depth
View Quote

Didnt either the Germans or British have a Spigot-type rifle grenade system during WWII???  Maybe its a smoke version of that
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I agree with the other guy about it being the innards of a sea mine prong. Waaaaay out of my lane though. Xray show anything inside the brass cone?

I'd be careful about hitting that powder OR the liquid with a Raman. To quote an old movie... "It might just go off for spite!"

-Shawn
View Quote

White powder is usually not as dangerous as the darker ones. Additionally, anyone with minimal training knows to only scan a small sample and not the entire amount.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Exactly what I wanted to see.  It might give a better clue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Give us a pic of the yellow thing on the end.

Exactly what I wanted to see.  It might give a better clue.
That's just a screwdriver underneath it, not part of the item.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What does the device with the + key say it is?

View Quote
That it's not radioactive

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

EOD want to just blow it up to be safe
View Quote

They always want to blow shit up for any reason
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EOD want to just blow it up to be safe

And I take it its civilian EOD, not military?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My base instincts and pattern recognition indicate to me it may be something along these lines.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Electrochemical cells, solid state...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Maybe a lightning rod?
View Quote

Until we see what the yellow thing is, I'm going with this.

It has rainwater collected in one end of the clear part, and corrosion products in the other end of the clear part.

But I can't find anything like it in picutres...

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#22]
If you find a bunch of other "suspicious" stuff, you could spend the day with EOD blowing shit up. Everyone wins.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#23]
w/o reading all the responses, the long brass part looks like the probe that could be put on the end of a dropped bomb. Contact with the ground pushes the liquid and powder together to create an explosion of some kind, which in turn ignites whatevers in the "bomb". The long probe is for a daisy-cutter like effect.

Of course, it may not be necessarily a "bomb" bomb. It could be an igniter for a smoke marker bomb, a "fuse" to break open a case of water, biochemical, or whatever.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#24]
If GD cannot identify it in 3 pages it is either:

-Ultra rare/ one of a kind and extremely valuable

-Some sort of ancient tampon (Would still be identified before page 5)

-Part of the Roswell Crash (Also would be identified before page 5)

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll send the pic off to an active military EOD relative of mine, see what he says...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd agree that it might be a detonator or incendiary ingiter of some kind . The liquid could be sulfuric acid and the powder could be a potassium chlorate/sugar mixture, which would ignite when mixed with the acid.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

w/o reading all the responses, the long brass part looks like the probe that could be put on the end of a dropped bomb. Contact with the ground pushes the liquid and powder together to create an explosion of some kind, which in turn ignites whatevers in the "bomb". The long probe is for a daisy-cutter like effect.

Of course, it may not be necessarily a "bomb" bomb. It could be an igniter for a smoke marker bomb, a "fuse" to break open a case of water, biochemical, or whatever.
View Quote

I think this might be on the right track.  Its the guts of an igniter for gravity bomb of some sort?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Binary firefighting compound?
View Quote

+1 yeah I think it's some kind of old  fire extinguishing device also
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#29]
       its somekind of safe.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If you find a bunch of other "suspicious" stuff, you could spend the day with EOD blowing shit up. Everyone wins.
View Quote
That's what I do anyway. See avatar.

The EOD in this case are Police (large city). They rarely get to blow stuff up so are desperate. I want to collect it and take it home for further investigation.

I've sent this picture to many many EOD techs and none can identify it, so chances are it is not bomb related. The chemicals in the glass however are weird, if it is a lightning rod, why would it need those?

So far the best suggestion from the EOD world is that it is a walking stick for a midget english man who owned a fish and chip shop, the white powder is salt and the brown liquid is vinegar. I like his idea :-D

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The EOD in this case are Police (large city). They rarely get to blow stuff up so are desperate. I want to collect it and take it home for further investigation.

I've sent this picture to many many EOD techs and none can identify it, so chances are it is not bomb related. The chemicals in the glass however are weird, if it is a lightning rod, why would it need those?

So far the best suggestion from the EOD world is that it is a walking stick for a midget english man who owned a fish and chip shop, the white powder is salt and the brown liquid is vinegar. I like his idea :-D

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

whats on the other end, the probe end?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#32]
That's an earth worm driver outer.  You hook lectricity to the yellow knob and a spark gap is made in the clear part. Push the brass rod into the dirt. This drives the earth worms crazy and they come to the surface where they are easily picked up for fishing.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm voting for emergency runway chem light.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Any details about the guy who owned it? His age, any prior military service, employment, so you can get a better idea on what it may be.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I think it is the guts of a very old Brass Stick Barometer from a ship.

Would be inside a unit like this.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#36]
OST
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#37]
A google image search only shows this thread and another on a different board that I assume OP posted the same pictures on, so that's out.  My guess is some sort of old school commercial chemical detonator.

See if EOD will set up some rig to smash both glass vials behind cover instead of blowing it up.

Also, tag for more guesses.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case, I could probably come up with some "suspicious" items. Send the desperate dudes, and we can spend the day blowing shit up.

What industries are around there? Oilfield, shipping, power production, mining? May help for a real answer.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I use one of those daily, that's not what it is. The bulb that says sensor in that pic is just a water trap on the sensor line to keep water from being sucked into the machine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

A google image search only shows this thread and another on a different board that I assume OP posted the same pictures on, so that's out.  My guess is some sort of old school commercial chemical detonator.

See if EOD will set up some rig to smash both glass vials behind cover instead of blowing it up.

View Quote
what if its some kind of time machine?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Don't fucking blow it up. It could be part of history or an invention unknown till now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then OP should already know what it is, and is pulling off an epic safe thread.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm going to guess some kind of fluid density/specific gravity measuring device.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#44]
maybe it's just a pimp-ass walking stick, wth a sample of pennsylvAnia crude in an ampule.....

an oil baron's stick
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
the fish?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the fish?  

No. It's not a fish.

I'm pretty sure, but not a hundred percent.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Half Cell for measuring corrosion?

View Quote

Having worked in the industry in the past that was one of my first guesses as well. I don't miss my ECDA survey days...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Did the evidence tag "found in Roswell 1947" fall off that lightspeed gear shifter?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I am going with some sort of antique chemlight.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I have never seen ARFcom stumped this long.
View Quote
No kidding.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top