Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I couldn't do it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I did.

Don't do it.  It won't end well.

We met in college and she was always saying things like "I'm not a liberal, I'm a libertarian".  She didn't strike me as politically engaged, which for me at that age, was a relief.

She wasn't particularly outspoken, until about 2 years after we'd been dating.  She voted for Obama, and that's when I was like

I WISH I would have gone with my gut and broken it off,  but we were engaged at this point and I was going over seas (being surrounded by nothing but Marines for 9 months destroys your good judgment as it pertains to women).

Upon returning to the states, we got hitched.

Then the Feminist rhetoric started

Then the Pro Abortion, Pro Gay "marriage", "We. Are. The 99%.", 2A-doesn't-apply-to-your-Pmag-stash views came gushing out.

Needless to say, I felt hoodwinked.  I know I made the mistake of putting myself in the situation,  and I thankfully got out of it, but it was 4 years of my life I wish I could get back.

The final nail in the coffin was when she came out as an atheist.

This girl, who was raised Christian and had our wedding with a pastor and everything, actually looked me square in the eye and said "oh that? All of that was just so our families would approve.  I don't believe in god, and I figured by how smart you are, deep down you don't either".

I remember that night clearly... to a point.  
We were at a get together with some of our friends.  So I reached for a bottle of Sailor Jerry's I brought, opened it up, and finished it. I woke up in our bath tub, and resolved that I was going to convince her of the error of her ways.

Big mistake.

In the proceeding months, many fights were had, we moved out of our apartment,  and eventually got divorced.  It was a pretty dark time, but I'm better off for it.

I learned some valuable lessons that ultimately resulted in meeting my fiancé.  She is the polar opposite of the ex, and things are looking good for our future together.

Moral of the story:

Don't stick your dick in a liberal rad-fem athiest pro-abortion anti 2A crazy
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Never
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes. I primarily care about looks. She could have the intelligence of an Ape for all I care, as long as she cranks, she cranks, she cranks my tractor. Obviously if everything else was the same I'd prefer she not be a liberal. But physical appearance trumps all.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#5]
No.

I dated one, and we got serious, discussed marriage.

In the end it didn't work out.

Looking back, I dodged a huge bullet.

You can't be married to someone who hates everything you stand for.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Marriage isnt a one-nighter at the bar.  You're supposed to marry someone that shares and supports your views and beliefs (and vice versa) not someone with whom you would argue at a core level constantly with, that's a recipe for disaster.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#7]
i really dont see how it could work, unless you just have a relationship with no interaction or conversation.

personally... i could never even date one. i tried ONCE. damn woman thought the world was all puppies and flowers and good wishes. didnt like guns, or hunting, etc. had a snide remark about everything... it would only go downhill from there, and that was only a few dates.

i have a great conservative woman, who likes guns, and hates obama, and she a great partner. but if she decided she didnt want guns in the house, id probably dump her. i cant see how you could actually marry someone, who insists on forcing you into their way of thinking, such as the guys whos woman will not allow guns in their homes. you do know you have the option to marry a woman who likes the things you do, and is fun to talk to?

i dont see how in the hell it would work, ESPECIALLY if you tried to raise kids.

1. how do you discuss things going on in the world?
2. how do you discuss how to run your house?
3. how the hell do you raise your children? such as give them advice about the world, dealing with people, etc, etc.
4. guns?
5. hell even down to vehicles.... do you drive a prius?  

i cant see it working, its hard enough when you think alike, much less if your always fighting over ever damn decision.

timmy.......daddy...... why doesnt billys dad next door work like you do?
dad..........well timmy, billys dad is a welfare leach... he drinks beer and eats food we pay for, and sits on his fat ass on disability.
mom....... DONT TELL HIM THAT ! !  billys daddy has a medical problem, and its our responsibility to help those who need help.. hes hurt he has a bad back and cant work.
timmy...... but i saw him building billys tree house last weekend, with really heavy boards... he seemed really strong to me.
mom..... I DONT WANT TO TALK ABOUT THIS !
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
NO.  The compromises required are NOT worth it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#9]
James Carville - Mary Matalin

Even though they are at opposite ends politically, what they have in common is an interest in the process itself.

I'd rather be married to someone I could argue with on an intelligent level rather than some apolitical bimbo that only sat around watching reality TV.

And, very few smart people have political beliefs that are set in concrete. They generally are persuadable by well-thought-out arguments.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
HAD a GF like that, she now hates Barry and the party
View Quote

I've done it twice now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Not just no, but hell no!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

No.

I dated one, and we got serious, discussed marriage.

In the end it didn't work out.

Looking back, I dodged a huge bullet.

You can't be married to someone who hates everything you stand for.
View Quote

I have fond memories of being called you people, having my Beer thrown out into the yard, & my 69 SG Special being broken into pieces.   Looking back on it, I should thank her for her service, as she cured me of PTSD.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#14]
How hot are they? Might be the decider.

I very much doubt a hardcore liberal would come anywhere near me :)

If they did they would be able to be turned after a few of my rants.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#15]
We would have absolutely nothing in common.  No way.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Fucking yes, Marry no...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#18]
only if she never spoke or acted on or about her political beliefs, and finances were seperate.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Politics are a reflection of core beliefs, world view and principles.
They aren't just sport.
People who marry polar opposites are just not paying attention - and are setting themsleves up for a painful agonizing divorce sooner rather than later.

Or they are playing games with people, like Mary Matalin and James Carville.
At that level, politics are theather that keeps the checks flowing.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I couldn't do it.  No way.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#21]
It would depend on how much of an activist they are. If she actively pushed liberal agenda politics, probably not.
If she just happened to vote against me and we had other things in common than it would be fine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#22]
No, but I also could not marry a hard core right wing neocon bible thumper either.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm pretty easy to get along with but I don't think I could do it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I dated an extreme lib for a long time while in college.  We knew that disagreed about most everything political, so we just never spoke about it.  She cheated on me right before I proposed so it was a moot point.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#25]
as a guy who has been married twice, and has hopefully learned a little bit of what NOT TO DO, in a relationship... let me tell you unmarried young guys something.

1. marrage is hard... even when EVERYTHING is perfect between you and your wife.... it can STILL be hard.  ( learned this the hard way)

2. if you want to have a marrage that works.... then you need to find the BEST damn match you can, who has as many things as you want possible in a mate, and who shares as much as possible with you... interests, etc. it causes a lot fewer problems.

3. if you see things you dont like.... ( and you SHOULD be looking for things).... just like buying a used car, you should be looking for clues, or things that indicate problems, if you see things, you had better think really hard about staying... because those things usually get 5 times bigger when someone gets comfortable.  again, as in the car example.... you run out and jump in a car and sign the papers, cause its fun and sexy.... and you didnt notice the big oil spot on the concrete, and the transmission falls out, or its been wrecked and eats your tires up, etc, etc, its your fault for not checking it out first, .... there is a LOT more to marrage and relationships, than attraction, and hopeful feelings.

anyway thats all the advice i have, marry someone you cant live without... not someone you think you can live with.

this stuff goes for both men and women....

if you drink, and your spouse hates it.............. problems.
you love guns, and the spouse hates them..... problems.
you save money and spouse blows it all..........problems
you are conservative, and they liberal..............problems.
you love kids, and they hate kids......................problems.
love animals, they hate them............................problems
your religious and they are not.........................problems

as i said, life and marrage is hard enough sometimes when your BOTH a great match.... differences cause a lot more problems.  things that annoy you on day one... will drive you fucking nuts by year 2.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
I wanted a lady that was like-minded and that is what the Lord blessed me with! I would have a really hard time respecting a libtard!

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
James Carville - Mary Matalin

View Quote

The are both playing a role, acting. They are both part of the ruling elete which rises above politics.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes. I primarily care about looks. She could have the intelligence of an Ape for all I care, as long as she cranks, she cranks, she cranks my tractor. Obviously if everything else was the same I'd prefer she not be a liberal. But physical appearance trumps all.

His user name fits..........
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I dated an extreme lib for a long time while in college.  We knew that disagreed about most everything political, so we just never spoke about it.  She cheated on me right before I proposed so it was a moot point.
View Quote

Infidelity is a liberal trait. Commitment is conservative trait.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I dated a liberal once, it went down in flames.  She told me that if bush got elected again, that I would probably not see her for a few days while she calmed down.  The night it was announced that he won, I called her and rubbed it in.  She said was this necessary.  I told her I could not think of any better way to break up with someone.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#31]
If I dated a liberal who didn't care about my guns and didn't think guns should be banned, MAYBE I could deal with the rest of the liberal crazy, but I don't know.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I did, she wasn't a hardcore liberal though, she was a liberal Catholic, pro choice, pro union but neutral on guns. In the 2 years we were married she never bothered to vote in any election.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#33]
No.

In fact, when I put my profile up on Match.com way back when, I stated plainly that Liberals need not apply because I didn't have the time nor inclination to introduce an ostensibly adult woman to reality.

It worked. My wife makes me look like Karl Marx.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm a libertarian and I couldn't do it.  I've tried it w/ a girlfriend and it didn't work.  Doesn't work to deal with members of the family that are hardcore liberal/progressive.   I can deal w/ conservatives when we disagree.  We generally debate the topic, or agree to disagree.  With the liberals it goes from a calm conversation to fuck this too quick.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't see how you can have a good marriage without shared values.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Not just no, but hell no.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Fuck no.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much this. There is a woman that I knew, and was into for a while that is very liberal. I still respect her, but I REALLY don't think it would have worked out.

FWIW, my Dad is conservative and my Mom is somewhat liberal, and they get along fine (married for 30 years now). They don't talk politics.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
NO.

I don't see how your buddy does it--I've never met a liberal who was able to keep from injecting politics into EVERYTHING.
View Quote

Oh, so this.  As a very opinionated, independent, curmudgeonly woman, I couldn't tolerate that level of "So Open-Minded Your Brains Fell Out" stupidity.  Was bad enough when hubby & I were dating and I found out he voted for Clinton.  He made me think he did that twice until we got married!  Ass...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
From my experience any woman obsessed with politics 'left or right' tends to be cunty.

I don't think I could be married to liberal though. She's looking for free shit from government or a man. When she's done with you you'll pay for sure.
View Quote

Jeff Davis?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#42]
My wife voted for Obongo the first time around.  Typical "I want to be a good citizen and vote" but uneducated voter.  She now yells at him when he's on the TV and curses herself when I remind her that she voted for him........ Shit happens.  She was relatively liberal and is now very conservative after forcing her to look into issues a little more than believing what the mainstream media shoves down peoples throats.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I was talking to this guy I've worked with for eight plus years the other day at work. He told me his wife won't allow any guns in the house, even tho her father is a collector. He has been married for more than fifteen years I believe and is around 45 years old. His wife is ok with their young daughter deer hunting but won't let him buy her a rifle. I didn't ask him about any other liberal disorders she has but that alone would be a dealbreaker for me.
View Quote

Wow, who wears the pants in that marriage?  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#44]
My mom is on the "feels good" liberal spectrum. She will usually vote D and for whatever initiatives/laws sound/feel good on the surface - anything for the poor and needy, etc. Other than that she is not a die-hard liberal or interested in politics in the least.

In other words she probably represents the majority of American female voters at the point in time, or at least this is my assessment of them as a group - they vote for whoever gives the best emotional pitch, then they return to their lives centered around pop culture and gossip, and generally don't pay attention to politics at all until the next election cycle.

My dad is a former mild liberal who turned solidly conservative around the time he started his small business in the 80s, shortly after they were married. My mom and dad basically do not speak about politics, and my mom recently lamented that I've turned out to be more like my dad in his politics.

Personally, I cannot stand liberal women and would never marry one. My wife isn't a politically charged person, but generally agrees with me on most things, and was excited to attend several large 2A rallies with me during the 2013 AWB/UBC craze.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I dated a girl for four years when I was a lot younger. People change, and as we grew into our adult shoes over those four years, things changed.

She was slowly turning into just what OP described. The last straw was when she said she wanted me to get rid of my guns because she was afraid of them. She's probably now finishing veterinarian school somewhere. But even with that kind of paycheck I wouldn't be able to put up with her liberal ways. I wouldn't be able to shoot myself in the head, but I'm sure I would have found another way to off myself after she slowly devoured every last bit of happiness from my world.

Good riddance.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#47]
You don't marry hardcore liberal women, you fuck the ever loving coon dog shit out of them.  They take their "liberated" views of the world straight to the bedroom and fuck like strippers on meth.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#48]
No.  And I didn't.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#49]
No way in hell could I marry a liberal.  Frankly there's no hole on a libs body or act she can perform that makes me want to tolerate that amount of stupid and crazy. Nope!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:03:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Not only NO but.......

HELL NO
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top