Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are depressed you should deal with it using the best means available including using medicine. I've seen far too many people "self-medicate" using drugs and alcohol to deal with depression.  Yet, if you take them you run the risk of ending up on some list that bans you from owning firearms these days since HIPAA doesn't apply to the government apparently.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Weight gain, lethargy, impotence and the risk of suicidal thoughts....I'd try other options first.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

this

if you're really feeling sad, down, what ever it is you're feeling ALL THE TIME for no apperant reason they give them a try

if you're depressed because your unemployed, going thru a divorce, having money issues, REAL Reasons to be sad, down, dlepressed, then
I'd wait until you've a resolution to the problem. Be very careful...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you need them?

Personally I would use them as a last resort.

2nd opinions and all that jazz.

this

if you're really feeling sad, down, what ever it is you're feeling ALL THE TIME for no apperant reason they give them a try

if you're depressed because your unemployed, going thru a divorce, having money issues, REAL Reasons to be sad, down, dlepressed, then
I'd wait until you've a resolution to the problem. Be very careful...

I agree that life disruptions can and do cause depressive episodes. A good MD should check all of that out. I have been lucky enough to have one.
I'm talking month on month of "I wish I would just fucking die" when I should have been on top of the world.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Some of you may know, I'm a bit quirky.

Advising me to consult a MD is intelligent, but due to Obamacare, your the help within my budget.

Some days I've noticed i will get severely depressed for no apparent reason. One say that springs to mind, I got to work with my best friend, had nice dinner, got two books at the library that I was looking forward to, then that same evening I had a crippling sadness come over me. I still don't know why.

I have good days, it's not all bad, just lonely.

I feel alone most of the time, my longest relationship was two months and that was with a emotional wreck at the end.

I do not fit with others. I was curious if meds would fix that. I'll try vitamin D first tho.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are depressed you should deal with it using the best means available including using medicine. I've seen far too many people "self-medicate" using drugs and alcohol to deal with depression.  Yet, if you take them you run the risk of ending up on some list that bans you from owning firearms these days since HIPAA doesn't apply to the government apparently.  

View Quote

Got a cite for that? As far as I know you have to be committed to a mental hospital or lose your rights via court order.

Simply taking anti-depressants isn't going to land you there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Barring you pulling a cite out of some where I've never seen, I'm going to call bull shit.

Further, what good is gun ownership if you're too depressed to enjoy your collection or the sport? Or, too depressed to defend yourself or your family?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Your mental happiness and well being is not going to be treated or cured from a pill.... They do not work. In order for you to get better, 1st you must recognize that you have a problem and 2nd you have to WANT to get better and 3rd you have to do what it takes to get better. The cure is within you but you have to be the one to do the work. The answer or cure IS NOT in pill form. My wife of 23 years suffered from severe depression and anxiety. She was on all sorts of antidepressants some of them highly addictive (klonpin) and some not. Tried several different kinds to try and find the proper "mix" that would work well. NONE of them worked or helped. Of the more addictive medications led to abuse as a way of seeking relief from the depression. It also led to her abusing other medications. We would go to see a therapist and she was given steps, very detailed steps on what she can do to help herself feel better, but she needed to do the work for herself to make herself feel beeter. She needed to WANT to feel better in order for there to be any progress and none of the medication helped her with that. None of it. It all finally came to an end, when she decided to take her life on the evening of Christmas Eve last year. Me and our 3 teenage kids are living proof that a persons well being is not in the form pill. I believe that the pharmacutical companies are not concerned with your well being but are more concerned about getting the doctors to prescribe their patients the medication that the pharmacuticals are pushing. To them, it's all about dollars and cents. If you are suffering from depression, find a good therapist, a good one.... and if you don't like the one you find, then find another one. Get a life partner, someone you feel comfortable talking to about ANYTHING... no secrets and talk to them. Stay away from the medication... they do not work! For those who know someone who is suffering with depression... be there for them, listen openly and do not judge. Support them the best way you can and do not give up on them. Be understanding, tolerant, forgiving and empathetic. Love them with your whole heart and help them down the path they are trying to go down that they feel they are going down alone. Be there for them. Do more, listen more, help more, understand more, love more .... be MORE. You can make a difference in someones life who feels alone in their battle....
View Quote
I stopped reading at the part in red because the rest of your wall of text is guaranteed to not be worth reading.  Klonopin is a depressant for fuck sake.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Lot's of derp in this thread.  I have been depressed since I was 10 years old.   I lived in misery for 33 years before a damn good doc convinced me to try anti depressants.  We tried several before settling on Zoloft.  The only thing that kept me from pulling a Kurt Cobain was my family.  I could have given two shits if I lived or died.  I for one know that I was much more unstable and a bigger risk to society and myself before I got on anti-depressants.

Are they over prescribed? Definately.  But there are some very LARGE brushstrokes being painted with in this thread.  Your brain is an organ just like any other.  Sometimes you need a medication to make it work right.  Its not the answer for everybody but neither is "Get some exercise" or "Take Vitamin D."

Do I fear my 2A rights will be taken away? Yes, but its a risk I HAVE to live with.  

If you have never suffered from clinical depression, good for you.  I am jealous.  I wouldn't wish this shit on my worst enemy.  I wish I could "Just get over it."

And yes, I have discontinued under doctor's instructions and I'll be ok for a while, months even, but it always comes back. the Dr. said my brain chemistry is like a gas tank, sometimes it you just run out of juice and need a fillup.  After much trial and error, I'd just as soon top off every day.
View Quote
It's kind of funny to see Arfcommers emulating Tom Cruise.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Advising me to consult a MD is intelligent, but due to Obamacare, your the help within my budget.

Some days I've noticed i will get severely depressed for no apparent reason. One say that springs to mind, I got to work with my best friend, had nice dinner, got two books at the library that I was looking forward to, then that same evening I had a crippling sadness come over me. I still don't know why.

I feel alone most of the time, my longest relationship was two months and that was with a emotional wreck at the end.

I do not fit with others. I was curious if meds would fix that. I'll try vitamin D first tho.
View Quote

OP if it makes you feel any better I still have my guns.

The part is red is depression and I go through the same thing. I have people around me everyday, but feel like I am all alone.

Your social life may come back after you start feeling better from the meds.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The part is red is depression and I go through the same thing. I have people around me everyday, but feel like I am all alone.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can also be a challange if your SO/partner isn't understanding.  My wife used to say "so what, just be happier".  It took me telling her in stark detail what was running through my head to get her to understand, since no one would WANT to feel that way (its not a choice).  I tried many different things (and am still trying them), but as others have noted, the meds work in my case.  My boss has noted a huge changed at work, and my wife at home.  Does it "make everything better"?  No, but it makes it manageable to a point where with effort I can control it and make it work.  I like that, now its up to me to make the difference.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#11]
If someone has real depression, they need to get real medical help.

My wife's first signs of the brain tumor that eventually killed her was depression.  

She hated doctors and just "sucked it up buttercup" like the non-doctors on here boasting of just "exercise will fix it"

If she had a real doctor investigate, they might have caught the tumor earlier enough to be handled. She didn't and she died.

While for most, exercise and other natural things you can do will work for most people with minor issues, how do you know it is a minor issue?

Make sure to get a real doctor to find out what is really the root of your problem.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I've taken them before and highly recommend avoiding them. Everyone react different, but they made me crazy and unpredictable. I also felt like shit and slept a lot. Their answer was to double the dosage which doubled the crazy.

I guess they work for some people, but it's treating a symptom of a bigger problem, which is what Dr's tend to do the best.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top