[#2]
Andrew Jackson
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FDR.
View Quote

This what I came to post. There are many other legit ones mentioned here too IMO.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nelson Mandela

Jimmy Carter

JFK

The Prophet Mohammed

John Lennon

Edit: forgot to mention LBJ.. The war on poverty is going well sir, The middle class is getting their asses handed to them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In response to this thread: Who is remembered by history as a fool or villian but got a bum rap?

I had a lot of responses I wanted to make in that thread, but most of em fell under this category.

My candidate would be McArthur. He was a lying, egomaniacal mommy's boy who was completely ineffective in the early stages of the Japanese invasion of the Philippines, and effectively went rogue in Korea, provoking the Chinese. He operated a command isolated from the US Government in the Korean War, and frequently made political moves completely outside of his scope as a military commander.

Biographies describe his sick fascination with his mother, and from an early age he was surrounded by sycophants and yes men. He created a world around himself where he could do no wrong, and every misstep he made he blamed on others. He had a pathological aversion to taking responsibility for his actions, which often ended up getting men killed. By the end of his career, he was so mentally off his rocker it was a shitshow getting him reigned in.

Your candidates?

Of course, this being GD, the first name I expect is Abraham Lincoln, but I swear to god I will pistol whip the first son of a bitch that turns this into a Civil War tard fest.

Nelson Mandela

Jimmy Carter

JFK

The Prophet Mohammed

John Lennon

Edit: forgot to mention LBJ.. The war on poverty is going well sir, The middle class is getting their asses handed to them.

Clinton....

Great list..
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:55:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Jimmy Hoffa.

Union folk say hero.

I believe thug and bully to be more correct.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:58:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Context is everything.

The US was sat on the sidelines claiming neutrality and criticising the war while selling arms to the players.  US shipping was already being attacked but the US did nothing about it because neutrality gave them the option of furthering their own agenda.

The UK was buying or supplies and wanted the traffic, the inevitability of which would be grater risk to that traffic,  Churchill quite rightly saw the potential implications in that were an attack of sufficient magnitude to take place against US shipping it would force the US to take sides.  He was absolutely right.

Churchill recognised the mechanisms by which the US neutrality and profiteering would be tested, and that the US had a stated intention of undermining the British Empire.  It is a testament to his skill as a statesman in recognising the need to shut the US options down and go them off the fence that the comments in the memo lies.  It does not implicate him in the sinking of the Lusitania.  

Claiming that Churchill contributed to the sinking of the Lusitania is nothing more than a wild grasping conspiracy theory founded on illogical assumption and poor research.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most liners used to carry cargo, including military cargo. They were a major means of transporting goods and raw materials in bulk at the time.

The other points made in the conspiracy theory don't stand up to scrutiny either.

Churchill has been the target of many attempts to discredit him.   It's worth checking things out before drawing any conclusions.

I wasn't referring to the cargo, but the memos he wrote that are a matter of public record.

"It is most important to attract neutral shipping to our shores in the hope especially of embroiling the United States with Germany . . . . For our part we want the traffic — the more the better; and if some of it gets into trouble, better still."

He wrote that.  There were obviously other circumstances that led to the Lusitania sinking, and I wouldn't go so far as to say it was done on purpose, but there is no denying that it achieved his stated goal.

Context is everything.

The US was sat on the sidelines claiming neutrality and criticising the war while selling arms to the players.  US shipping was already being attacked but the US did nothing about it because neutrality gave them the option of furthering their own agenda.

The UK was buying or supplies and wanted the traffic, the inevitability of which would be grater risk to that traffic,  Churchill quite rightly saw the potential implications in that were an attack of sufficient magnitude to take place against US shipping it would force the US to take sides.  He was absolutely right.

Churchill recognised the mechanisms by which the US neutrality and profiteering would be tested, and that the US had a stated intention of undermining the British Empire.  It is a testament to his skill as a statesman in recognising the need to shut the US options down and go them off the fence that the comments in the memo lies.  It does not implicate him in the sinking of the Lusitania.  

Claiming that Churchill contributed to the sinking of the Lusitania is nothing more than a wild grasping conspiracy theory founded on illogical assumption and poor research.

Speaking of the Lusitania...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1098904/Secret-Lusitania-Arms-challenges-Allied-claims-solely-passenger-ship.html

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Why Lincoln? Aside from a Southerner's perspectives, is there something I've missed?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How so?  No bashing will be involved just curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus

For those that are atheist or don't belive Christianity, Jesus is the most overrated person in all of history bar none, hands down.

Obviously if you are Christian you disagree.

ETA: I don't know if anyone would call Jesus a fool or villan, rather just not the person he is made out to be.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Context is everything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most liners used to carry cargo, including military cargo. They were a major means of transporting goods and raw materials in bulk at the time.

The other points made in the conspiracy theory don't stand up to scrutiny either.

Churchill has been the target of many attempts to discredit him.   It's worth checking things out before drawing any conclusions.

I wasn't referring to the cargo, but the memos he wrote that are a matter of public record.

"It is most important to attract neutral shipping to our shores in the hope especially of embroiling the United States with Germany . . . . For our part we want the traffic — the more the better; and if some of it gets into trouble, better still."

He wrote that.  There were obviously other circumstances that led to the Lusitania sinking, and I wouldn't go so far as to say it was done on purpose, but there is no denying that it achieved his stated goal.

Context is everything.

Wait, so you're saying that Churchill intentionally drug the US into WWI?  

Context is not everything.  Perspective plays a pretty big part.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why Lincoln? Aside from a Southerner's perspectives, is there something I've missed?  
View Quote

A whole line of people will now come and tell you how Lincoln ended the Republic by usurping authority to the federal government that had not previously existed.  But the FACT is, whoever was President during the Civil War would almost certainly have done the same thing if his intent was to hold the Union together and not allow secession.  Lincoln also didn't do anything that the Confederacy wasn't already doing...other than freeing the slaves in the Confederate states, of course.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Ted Cruz
Rand Paul
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus

eurotrolling
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ted Cruz
Rand Paul
View Quote

They are not remembered in history yet.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ted Cruz
Rand Paul

I am from the future
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus

He thought he was the son of God, and it got him killed. That's pretty foolish.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Lincoln and FDR
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Che Gueverra
View Quote

This

These idiot kids wearing tshirts with his likeness have no idea who he was.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No, I'm not saying that

I'm saying he recognised that if the US decided to get off the fence as a neutral country it would serve British interests in several ways
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Context is everything.

Wait, so you're saying that Churchill intentionally drug the US into WWI?  

Context is not everything.  Perspective plays a pretty big part.  

No, I'm not saying that

I'm saying he recognised that if the US decided to get off the fence as a neutral country it would serve British interests in several ways

It's all good.  Like I said, we aren't mad.    
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#21]
FDR
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nelson Mandela
View Quote

This is the first thing that came to mind.

he was just clever enough to let other people take the blame for "necklace" murders
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thomas Edison.
View Quote

Another good example.
Edison was great at stealing other people's work and ideas and marketing them
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone that tries to talk up Mandela get a STFU from me. They don't know the history of that ape.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mother Teresa
View Quote

This reminds me, Christopher Hitchens is a good add to the list.  Drunken boorish jackass (and a Trotskyite to boot) who's only 'admired' because he pandered to people's anti-religious bigotry.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I would be curious as to your reasoning behind choosing Churchill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Abe

Franklin Rosenfelt

Churchill

I would be curious as to your reasoning behind choosing Churchill.

I agree with Churchill to a degree - more overrated than a fool - although I don't have time to explain it now.  But choosing to share power with Clement Atlee was a bad move.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Che Gueverra
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Thomas Edison.
View Quote
Nailed it. Living right down the road from his winter estate he is held in high regard here. Teachers in this town taught that he was an amazing pioneer and inventor and celebrated him every year with a parade. No one decided to speak of his drama with Tesla and what a fucking kook he was.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nelson Mandela

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In response to this thread: Who is remembered by history as a fool or villian but got a bum rap?

I had a lot of responses I wanted to make in that thread, but most of em fell under this category.

My candidate would be McArthur. He was a lying, egomaniacal mommy's boy who was completely ineffective in the early stages of the Japanese invasion of the Philippines, and effectively went rogue in Korea, provoking the Chinese. He operated a command isolated from the US Government in the Korean War, and frequently made political moves completely outside of his scope as a military commander.

Biographies describe his sick fascination with his mother, and from an early age he was surrounded by sycophants and yes men. He created a world around himself where he could do no wrong, and every misstep he made he blamed on others. He had a pathological aversion to taking responsibility for his actions, which often ended up getting men killed. By the end of his career, he was so mentally off his rocker it was a shitshow getting him reigned in.

Your candidates?

Of course, this being GD, the first name I expect is Abraham Lincoln, but I swear to god I will pistol whip the first son of a bitch that turns this into a Civil War tard fest.

Nelson Mandela

Another good one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

A whole line of people will now come and tell you how Lincoln ended the Republic by usurping authority to the federal government that had not previously existed.  But the FACT is, whoever was President during the Civil War would almost certainly have done the same thing if his intent was to hold the Union together and not allow secession.  Lincoln also didn't do anything that the Confederacy wasn't already doing...other than freeing the slaves in the Confederate states, of course.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So how many slaves did Lincoln free in the Northern states?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus

Still being argued about 2000 years later after starting the most successful social movement in history.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Context is everything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Context is everything.

Your assertions of pre-War American actions are demonstrably incorrect.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Still being argued about 2000 years later after starting the most successful social movement in history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus

Still doesn't make him a deity though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Nailed it. Living right down the road from his winter estate he is held in high regard here. Teachers in this town taught that he was an amazing pioneer and inventor and celebrated him every year with a parade. No one decided to speak of his drama with Tesla and what a fucking kook he was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thomas Edison.

But someone else on here already said that Tesla was a kook.
Edison was the wizard of melo park...right?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
He destroyed the concept of state rights and ushered in the large, centralized, overbearing government that we have today.  None of which was required to abolish slavery.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every single one he had legal authority to free.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:35:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus

So what?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
He destroyed the concept of state rights and ushered in the large, centralized, overbearing government that we have today.  None of which was required to abolish slavery.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

States Rights were destroyed by Progressivism, and the large federal government was a function of progressivism. So, I'd say you're missing about 35 years of American history.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Princess Diana.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Princess Diana.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

The term I heard regarding her was "a slutty, talentless bulimic."
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:41:39 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thomas Edison.

I remember down here in swfl I had to do a report on him when I was I school. I asked the teacher if it was true he used his wealth and power to run people out of town and crush them and if he experiment on animals with electricity.

I was told to omit any of that like the teacher was Holder reacting to someone doing a report on F&F.

People got a serious hard on for Edison here.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

[A whole line of people will now come and tell you how Lincoln ended the Republic by usurping authority to the federal government that had not previously existed. But the FACT is, whoever was President during the Civil War would almost certainly have done the same thing if his intent was to hold the Union together and not allow secession. Lincoln also didn't do anything that the Confederacy wasn't already doing...other than freeing the slaves in the Confederate states, of course. ]

Guess I was warned.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#43]
There are many contenders but for Americans the absolute no brainer winner is Lincoln.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand...this just turned into a Civil War 'who's to blame thread', again.

But for my $0.02

Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Theodore Roosevelt (was vastly responsible for the concept of Government intervention into business practices)

And many people in Russia still think that Stalin is a damned hero. I tend to blame that on the vodka, though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All of them?

Is this hard?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Obama
FDR
Woodrow Wilson
Custer
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#48]
FDR
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Che Gueverra
View Quote
Bingo.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Lincoln
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top