Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/20/2014 9:56:02 PM EDT
Great.  Another federal program.  What could possibly go wrong?  

"By warning drivers of imminent danger, V2V technology has the potential
to dramatically improve highway safety," said NHTSA Deputy
Administrator David Friedman. "V2V technology is ready to move toward
implementation and this report highlights the work NHTSA and DOT are
doing to bring this technology and its great safety benefits into the
nation’s light vehicle fleet."

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+Releases/2014/NHTSA-issues-advanced-notice-of-proposed-rulemaking-on-V2V-communications
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#1]
1989 F250. Get out of my way.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Before the first one is on the road there will be a box made that can cause everyone in range to emergency stop for no good reason.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]
on our way to this
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Before the first one is on the road there will be a box made that can cause everyone in range to emergency stop for no good reason.
View Quote

DealExtreme will be selling a $20 counterfeit version to clear the road in front of you.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I have more inches of lift than most econo boxes have wheel sizes. Fuck yo car. Get a hacked box and stop libs on train tracks and middle of 4 ways
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
And in the name of safety it will only add 4K to the cost of a new vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Great.  Another federal program.  What could possibly go wrong?  

"By warning drivers of imminent danger, V2V technology has the potential to dramatically improve highway safety," said NHTSA Deputy Administrator David Friedman. "V2V technology is ready to move toward implementation and this report highlights the work NHTSA and DOT are doing to bring this technology and its great safety benefits into the nation’s light vehicle fleet."
http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+Releases/2014/NHTSA-issues-advanced-notice-of-proposed-rulemaking-on-V2V-communications
View Quote

They (manufactures) can't even get the little shit like ignition switches and airbags right. Put that crap on my car and I'm taking wire cutters to it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Honestly I love this stuff SO MUCH.  Driving is the most dangerous thing you can do, its a skill that the majority of the population has to learn out of necessity yet will never ever be good at it, will always be prone to mistakes, and are frankly fucking dangerous.

Blah blah blah I want mah freedom, but 9 times out of 10 you're just commuting to work doing the same ol bullshit day in and day out.  Yeah there are implications, but people are just too fucking terrible at driving, they're awful, many of you who post in this thread could quite well be fucking awful.  Fuck manual driving, automatic, self driving cars as soon as possible and I will be the most peaceful man on earth.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Honestly I love this stuff SO MUCH.  Driving is the most dangerous thing you can do, its a skill that the majority of the population has to learn out of necessity yet will never ever be good at it, will always be prone to mistakes, and are frankly fucking dangerous.

Blah blah blah I want mah freedom, but 9 times out of 10 you're just commuting to work doing the same ol bullshit day in and day out.  Yeah there are implications, but people are just too fucking terrible at driving, they're awful, many of you who post in this thread could quite well be fucking awful.  Fuck manual driving, automatic, self driving cars as soon as possible and I will be the most peaceful man on earth.
View Quote

Do you know how I know you're a communist, liberal?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Sweet!  That means if you buy one with this new technology, expect to see your insurance rates drop dramatically, right?

Right???

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell, I am ready for cars to drive themselves so I can go out and have some fun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep

Or chaos from software or hardware glitches.

I like the Top Gear where Clarkson bombs into a parking spot with shrubs around it and the car panic stops.  So they try it with Mays car in place of the shrub....BOOM!  it didn't stop.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you are okay with the associated increase in control this is going to give the government over your life then?

And the intrusion into your privacy?

Like we don't have enough of that already?

Tell you what, how about we just create a society in which the government controls everything, thus making all citizens perfectly safe.  It could be a utopia!   I mean, you know, what could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good share of that will find its way into democrat pockets
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is the stupidest shit I've read all year.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#18]
HonkHONK screw your Light Fleet.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any concept of the cost burden this will put on Americans? I realize that with the huge surplus of cash that we have the gov is having trouble findng places to spend it, but damn.  
So, no, for countless reasons that should be obvious, your opinion is wrong and you should feel ashamed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#20]
So what happens when rage driving assholes trip peoples warning systems on purpose by swerving at them or whatever?

I'll take automated violation monitoring/ticketing/warrant issuing prevention system for $400 Alex....

Ohhh!!! Daily Double!! "Things that Biometric Identification for Drivers"
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Cars are going to be 1 million a piece for something like a honda civic if this stuff keeps up.  All these stupid requirements and "good ideas" they start requiring at the expense of the consumer.  More electronics to break also.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

While I think it has the potential to solve major issues. For instance traffic can be prioritized by destination making the road ways carry more cars efficiently. It allows roads to carry more traffic, but at the same time decreasing time stopped in traffic.

However, it will never fly. There are too many old cars that won't have it and it will piss off a lot of people who's cars are now not allowed on the roads.  

I put about 800 miles a week on my work truck driving to job sites. It would be nice to kick back and let the self driving car take me there, but sometimes I just want to drive and be in control.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or to jam the shit out of it so that it wrecks continuously.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

You deliberately trolling to get people to make a CoC violation towards your stupid ass comments?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#25]
if cars become self driving.... will dui still be a crime?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hello, part of the problem. How do you do?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

COC violation to you troll.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is right about Americans being terrible drivers.....they are on a whole - horrible.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hell, I am ready for cars to drive themselves so I can go out and have some fun.
View Quote

You may want it but government organizations will hate life when they become common.  Look at the "problems" Chicago is having with not enough people getting speed camera tickets then magnify them.  

Although it would break me heart to see fishing expedition stops get a serious decrease.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#29]

LTA warns drivers not to turn left in front of another vehicle traveling
in the opposite direction and IMA warns them if it is not safe to enter
an intersection due to a high probability of colliding with one or more
vehicles. Additional applications could also help drivers avoid
imminent danger through forward collision, blind spot, do not pass, and
stop light/stop sign warnings.
View Quote

Every-time they "dumb something down" it instantly becomes MORE dangerous due to the "safety bubble" effect most people have.

"My car has a left-turn danger indicator!  YAY I don't even have to watch for on-coming cars anymore!"  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#30]
From the mouths of the insurance companies to the ears of the DOT.

For safety, of course.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Every-time they "dumb something down" it instantly becomes MORE dangerous due to the "safety bubble" effect most people have.

"My car has a left-turn danger indicator!  YAY I don't even have to watch for on-coming cars anymore!"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LTA warns drivers not to turn left in front of another vehicle traveling in the opposite direction and IMA warns them if it is not safe to enter an intersection due to a high probability of colliding with one or more vehicles. Additional applications could also help drivers avoid imminent danger through forward collision, blind spot, do not pass, and stop light/stop sign warnings.

Exactly.

On a related note, I get a kick out of how many idiots there are today who are incapable of reading a map, because of GPS.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Exactly.

On a related note, I get a kick out of how many idiots there are today who are incapable of reading a map, because of GPS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LTA warns drivers not to turn left in front of another vehicle traveling in the opposite direction and IMA warns them if it is not safe to enter an intersection due to a high probability of colliding with one or more vehicles. Additional applications could also help drivers avoid imminent danger through forward collision, blind spot, do not pass, and stop light/stop sign warnings.

Exactly.

We are increasingly outsourcing our brains to technology.  We are getting dumber as a result.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably some middle or upper manager who WONT LET ME WORK AT HOME.
Because if all the employees work at home he cant have meetings all day, and would have to wander the empty halls with the 28 other managers.

Look at what we save huh?
my gas, my time 800 other employees gas, 800 other employees time, ginormous worker building, ginormous worker building electric bill.
my car, I wouldn't even own a car if I didn't have to commute to an office 5 days a week.

my gas:  2 gal/day x 250 days a year = 500gal
all gas:  500gal x 800 employees = 400,000gal of gas a year.

Where are the greens on this shit???

Vp sez we won't have 'synergy', cool new ideas.

BAH.  Last week no one even bothered to talk to me at all.
Everytime I have a new idea I get "We cant do that."
The NEW VP of Technology simply dictates to everyone, so who the hell needs synergy or new ideas?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are aware electronics are not foolproof?
I prefer to control my vehicle and get out of the way of an out of control vehicle. No guarantee of that with electronics.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#35]
See those boxes along the side of the road collecting telemetry from your vehicle? Don't worry about those citizen, it's for your safety.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, and this is why I'll stick to motorcycles.

I don't want a nicely packaged life that is absent risk.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd rather live in a freer country than a safer country.

We could probably make the USA safer by house to house sweeps confiscating all firearms also.

"Blah blah blah I want mah freedom, but 9 times out of 10 you're just commuting to work punching holes in targets doing the same ol bullshit day in and day out."

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I have more inches of lift than most econo boxes have wheel sizes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#39]
The chaos caused by 1 car with a faulty relay is going to be worse than Atlanta 2014.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#40]
This is a quote from the notice of proposed rulemaking:

" . By mandating V2V technology
in all new vehicles, but not requiring
specific safety applications, it is
NHTSA’s belief that such capability will
in turn facilitate market-driven
development and introduction of a
variety of safety applications, as well as
mobility and environment-related
applications that can potentially save
drivers both time and fuel. "

They want to make it mandatory but not define any particular use.  

So, who really would benefit?  

Vehicle-to-vehicle communications is the same as vehicle-to-tracker communications.  The car won't know the difference.  This isn't much different from having a mandated GPS in the car and even if not stated, is potentially a first step to tracking your driving 'to collect revenue'.

I thought LaHood was a whacko statist;  Anthony Foxx seems worse.

This isn't some self-driving utopia, it's a way to follow you wherever you go.

And it's being sold on 'safety' justifying its cost even though there is no requirement for any car maker to add any 'safety' features, just the tracking feature.

Hmm.  Wonder why that is?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Cool. Now I can text more when I drive, read the paper, do my hair, paint my toe nails and of course fap furiously.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I have more inches of lift than most econo boxes have wheel sizes. http://zxc9.com/UNe201
View Quote
What are you attempting to show us?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

He is right about Americans being terrible drivers.....they are on a whole - horrible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what?

The issue is we are a society that tolerates shit heads with multiple DUIs still having a license along with all kinds of other stupid shit.

Autobahn rules with autobahn style penalties for people who fuck up.

But no, our stupid shit society is too much of a special snowflake to to take peoples licenses away.    Nope, instead lets give them to illegal aliens while we are at it.

The insurance comapnies would love this technology because it would be the automakers liable more often than not for glitches/accidents.

I dont want to be at the mercy of technology, hackers, interference by nanny govt.

Why?    Because as fucking sad as it sounds, driving is one of the few joys I have left in life right now.   Those who want to auto pilot through a commute, fine, put them in the damn trucking lane where they can nap/work/masturbate, just get the fucking entitlement minded prius driving 5-10 under the speed limit mother fuckers out of the fast lane.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Great idea.  Can't wait to see this, the capabilities have existed for years, this is on the same level as seat belts and air bags.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Cool. Now I can text more when I drive, read the paper, do my hair, paint my toe nails and of course fap furiously.
View Quote
Don't forget about your beer

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Skynet
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

and half will be a hidden tax meant for redistribution
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Sweet!  That means if you buy one with this new technology, expect to see your insurance rates drop dramatically, right?

Right???

View Quote
NO, the cost of equipment will jack your theft coverage so high it will cause your rates to double.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Great, even more shit to put into cars to fail, and even more shit put into cars that reduces the responsibility of the driver to actually fucking DRIVE.

That new Infiniti Q50 commercial really pisses me off.  It highlights all the "safety features" of the car that helps the clearly distracted driver get safely home.  On the surface, sounds like good technology.  But it is really a bandaid for what the true illness is: American drivers are clueless fucking idiots!  These "safety features" are not going to make drivers safer, it will actually embolden them to be even MORE distracted.  "Shit, I can reply to this text, the car will alert me if I'm drifting", "Gotta get my makeup on, the brake assist will stop the car if this traffic gets worse" and on and on.  

There is a fine line between technology helping drivers (ABS brakes for example) or making them worse (electronic crutches to compensate for inattentive or poor skill.)  But I guess this is to be expected, as our society is speeding headlong into the abyss where personal responsibility completely vanishes.....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top