Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2014 6:15:07 PM EDT
So I want to install a T-fitting between my gas meter and the main line running into my house so that I can run my generator off natural gas in the event of an emergency.
I think I can get fittings off the shelf at home depot and make it work, but I'm sure when I actually start wrenching on this project I will find that I have to cut and thread a pipe to fit which will require buying some tools and screwing around for a few hours.

If I call Centerpoint and tell them I need to modify the plumbing from the meter to my house in order to use more of their utilities and make them more money, will they offer to come out and do this for me for free, or do I just have to do this myself?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Call and ask. They will do it here for free.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure you don't have a capped gas line on the exterior of your house? Newly constructed? Mine has a capped line running out of a manifold in the basement to the exterior of the house.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sure you don't have a capped gas line on the exterior of your house? Newly constructed? Mine has a capped line running out of a manifold in the basement to the exterior of the house.
View Quote

I'm positive, I looked...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, make sure your gas flow will be sufficient to power the generator. . . Remember if you have a gas powered water heater, and/or furnace, and/or stove that those items need to be factored in as well when determining flow capacity. .
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
My company would probably charge for that. You shouldn't need to cut or thread pipe. As long as there is a union between your meter and where it goes in the house you should be able to do it. That said, if you're not sure about it, call someone who knows what they're doing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Most hardware stores will thread custom lengths for you.  That is how I added a gas water heater in my house.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#8]
This short vid might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87E0Qu527B4
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Also, make sure your gas flow will be sufficient to power the generator. . . Remember if you have a gas powered water heater, and/or furnace, and/or stove that those items need to be factored in as well when determining flow capacity. .
View Quote

Most will have to increase the meter/regulator output to run a geni, what Fudgie said.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Any piping downstream from the meter is generally the homeowner's responsibility.  Please do not try to do this yourself!  I'm trying not to be disparaging but you don't come across as a handyman type.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I am fully capable of doing it myself. I have a big pipe wrench and have wrenched on plumbing before. My home depot has a big electric pipe cutting and threading tool and will cut stuff to length for me.

That being said, I pay for their gas and I've been told that the gas company will help you run new pipe to all you to use more gas appliances and spend more money with them.

If they are going to do the work for free for me, I would be stupid to turn that down.

That being said, I just got off the phone with centerpoint who said that they'll do it for free and will be calling me by the 22nd to arrange a service appointment.

Of course, if they make me wait 2 days for a call, I'll get impatient and do it myself.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Most will have to increase the meter/regulator output to run a geni, what Fudgie said.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

its only a 16 hp 420cc 7000 running watt generator. Im going to run it off a 1/2" flex line that will be 12-14' long.

Should work by my calculations...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope, I'd bet it will be for charges IF they want to do it. Did you do a load study to determine line size and meter output by adding up the BTU load?

Generators don't run all that often, they are not the moneymakers people think they are.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This short vid might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87E0Qu527B4
View Quote

this guy just used the 1/4" tap on the line, that 1/4" tap is too small to run my generator. I need at LEAST a 1/2" to get enough fuel to it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Generally for anything on your side of the meter, you pay a plumber or do it yourself. Kind of like asking the electric company to come run some new wires through your walls and install a new breaker because you want some outlets in your garage...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#16]
12-14 (feet)? or "

Quoted:

its only a 16 hp 420cc 7000 running watt generator. Im going to run it off a 1/2" flex line that will be 12-14' long.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
12-14 (feet)? or "

View All Quotes
Quoted:
12-14 (feet)? or "

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea...waiting on response...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I am fully capable of doing it myself. I have a big pipe wrench
and have wrenched on plumbing before. My home depot has a big electric pipe cutting and threading tool and will cut stuff to length for me.

That being said, I pay for their gas and I've been told that the gas company will help you run new pipe to all you to use more gas appliances and spend more money with them.

If they are going to do the work for free for me, I would be stupid to turn that down.

That being said, I just got off the phone with centerpoint who said that they'll do it for free and will be calling me by the 22nd to arrange a service appointment.

Of course, if they make me wait 2 days for a call, I'll get impatient and do it myself.
View Quote

Reassess.

It takes two pipe wrenches.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#19]
J
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
12-14 (feet)? or "

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feet, the chart that I have says that it will work...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok so I have a 6' residential privacy fence about 2/3rds of the way between the power inlet box I installed on the wall for the generator and the gas meter.

I only made my generator wire 8' since I didnt want too much voltage drop but now everybodies got me worried that I'll have too much volume drop using the 1/2" gas flex pipe so I'm thinking that I might go with a  20' power cord and a 2' gas line or something wierd....

I'm going to install the T-fitting with the gas shutoff valve and quick disconnect tomorrow and I'll make a decision then.

This started out as a cheap project, only a $550 generator, then I needed a $50 battery to start it, a $200 tri-fuel conversion kit for natural gas, $70 for the gas quick disconnect, $60 for a gas line, $80 in fittings, $50 for the power inlet box, $60 for the nema 240v plug ends, etc etc.

When I get done this is going to be a 1100-1200 dollar project, and all so that I can have a 7000 watt generator at 30 amps of the total available 58 amps....

I should have just bought a refurbished generac whole house automatic unit and installed that instead....

something like this:

http://www.zoro.com/i/G3181001/?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&gclid=CjwKEAjw5ZKiBRDhqa-Yjcml9kYSJABia-RnJ3qZNXSPcZ2TQNO31JK5dgr4VpghIAcdxsYTB4ygcRoC9ajw_wcB

would have actually added physical value to my home when I go to sell it and I wouldn't have to make decisions during a storm about whether I want to run the central AC or the fridge and all the appliances, etc.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#21]
So I got everything installed today and running.

The generator works like a true champ and I had the whole house powered on it except for the central AC unit.

I took some photos but I'm about to go to bed so I'll post them tomorrow.

The only thing that still needs to be installed is the breaker interlock kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top