Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2014 5:31:49 PM EDT
Guest bathroom toilet got clogged late last night.  It was probably from me (I use that one when I stay up late so I don't disturb the sleeping wife), or our 4-year-old boy who is finally learning to get up out of bed at night and use the toilet.

This morning I see it "slow-drained" all the way out of the bowl, attempted a flush, and saw it was still clogged.

At around the same that morning the wife used the Master bathroom toilet- and after she flushed it, some nasty back-flow came up the (Master) shower drain.

I used the plunger on the Guest toilet and got it to empty after several minutes' worth of plunger jabbing.  Flushed it at half load of water and saw it still was clogged.  Had to leave for work by that point, so left it at that.

Wife started working on it today while I was at work...she tried plunging the back-flow in the shower, and the Master toilet, but to no avail.  At some point nasty back-flow also started coming into the Guest bathtub, but we don't know exactly when that happened.

I plunged the Guest toilet to 100% empty again, with no new back-flow to the shower observed.  When I flushed the Guest toilet again (which, to my continued dismay, stayed clogged again), the shower back-flow rose 1/8 inch.  

Wife also tried using a snake auger on the Guest toilet and Guest sink with no result (but she's not sure how far she got the snake to go, in either case).  Before that she put lye (unknown amount) in the shower and Guest toilet, to no apparent effect.

She is now at Walmart getting some extra-strength Liquid Plumber to see if that'll do anything.

The bottom line (TL,DR):
Please give me your best advice on fixing clogs before I have to resort to an after-hours plumbing service that I CANNOT afford right now.  

ETA:  Guest bathtub and Master shower are on the same floor of the house, and apparently at the same elevation.  The Guest bathroom is the closest to the street.  If MS paint will help, I'll do one...

Pic of wife from a while back, just for the heck of it:

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
She is left handed. Eject!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She is left handed. Eject!
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
DON'T USE LIQUID PLUMBER.

Either rent a GOOD snake from home depot, or pay a plumber $140 to clean out the main line.  Hopefully it isn't a broken main drain like I had.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Guest bathroom toilet got clogged late last night.  It was probably from me (I use that one when I stay up late so I don't disturb the sleeping wife), or our 4-year-old boy who is finally learning to get up out of bed at night and use the toilet.

This morning I see it "slow-drained" all the way out of the bowl, attempted a flush, and saw it was still clogged.

At around the same that morning the wife used the Master bathroom toilet- and after she flushed it, some nasty back-flow came up the (Master) shower drain.

I used the plunger on the Guest toilet and got it to empty after several minutes' worth of plunger jabbing.  Flushed it at half load of water and saw it still was clogged.  Had to leave for work by that point, so left it at that.

Wife started working on it today while I was at work...she tried plunging the back-flow in the shower, and the Master toilet, but to no avail.  At some point nasty back-flow also started coming into the Guest bathtub, but we don't know exactly when that happened.

I plunged the Guest toilet to 100% empty again, with no new back-flow to the shower observed.  When I flushed the Guest toilet again (which, to my continued dismay, stayed clogged again), the shower back-flow rose 1/8 inch.  

Wife also tried using a snake auger on the Guest toilet and Guest sink with no result (but she's not sure how far she got the snake to go, in either case).  Before that she put lye (unknown amount) in the shower and Guest toilet, to no apparent effect.

She is now at Walmart getting some extra-strength Liquid Plumber to see if that'll do anything.

The bottom line:
Please give me your best advice before I have to resort to an after-hours plumbing service that I CANNOT afford right now.  

ETA:  Guest bathtub and Master shower are on the same floor of the house, and apparently at the same elevation.  The Guest bathroom is the closest to the street.  If MS paint will help, I'll do one...

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/fervid_dryfire/7532/93581/93581_original.jpg
View Quote

Hit it with the snake again, if that don't do it  then get a 50 footer.  Sounds like your clog might be a bit farther down the line, based on the different back up locations.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-1-2-in-x-50-ft-Drain-Auger-BC30500/100534792?cm_sp=BazVoice-_-RLP-_-100534792-_-x
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, what a shitty situation.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I bet it was your wife and she's letting you take the blame. She knows you'd never suspect it because it was the other bathroom.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
DON'T USE LIQUID PLUMBER.

Either rent a GOOD snake from home depot, or pay a plumber $140 to clean out the main line.  Hopefully it isn't a broken main drain like I had.  
View Quote

Okay...holding off on the Liquid Plumber...can you explain why not to use it?

So, what length of snake are you suggesting?  50-foot?  Longer?  What constitutes a "good" snake?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#8]
could be a crack in the line, happened to me when i was deployed, wife got to deal with the grey water clean up
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bet it was your wife and she's letting you take the blame. She knows you'd never suspect it because it was the other bathroom.
View Quote

First she makes me buy guns that accommodate her left-handedness, then this...  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#10]
You on a septic system?  

If so, your tank is full and your leach field is not draining.  Time for a new leach field.  $$$

If no, then the clog is downstream from the junction of the other places its backing up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#11]

50' electric snake time. you can rent them cheap.

Run it down the drain, then go outside and find the cleanouts and run it through them. One should get you to the cleanout and the other to the street.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Call a rooting service and be done with it. A longer hand cranked cable isn't going to fix it…add the price of it and the liquid plumber and you are half way to the roto rooter charge...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hit it with the snake again, if that don't do it  then get a 50 footer.  Sounds like your clog might be a bit farther down the line, based on the different back up locations.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-1-2-in-x-50-ft-Drain-Auger-BC30500/100534792?cm_sp=BazVoice-_-RLP-_-100534792-_-x
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bottom line:
Please give me your best advice before I have to resort to an after-hours plumbing service that I CANNOT afford right now.  

That's what I am afraid of.

Are you specifically suggesting a snake instead of a chemical cleaner, as well?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Here you go op. You can get this stuff, or similar, at Walmart.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#15]
How old is your house? I'm praying less than 60 years.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bottom line:

A power snake will cut any roots that are restricting the flow.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#17]
literal poop thread ...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Poop thread

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Just had the exact same situation last week (clogged/backup into tub midnight Friday night )

Took the top off of the cleanout and could see the main line out to the street was clogged with toilet paper etc, called plumber out Saturday morning.  $137.50 for him to run the snake and clear the clog.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You on a septic system?  

If so, your tank is full and your leach field is not draining.  Time for a new leach field.  $$$

If no, then the clog is downstream from the junction of the other places its backing up.
View Quote

No septic system, thankfully...not that far out in the country.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you specifically suggesting a snake instead of a chemical cleaner, as well?[

Yes, you can go with the manual like I linked, and get a hand crank for extra leverage, or rent a powered one.  It's been my experience that caustics don't do very much to clean out drains, and then it's just stuck behind the clog along with everything else, if it backflows again now you have to deal with the caustic chemicals as well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, it was built in 1984 I think.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Call a pro. They can clean through the vent on the roof as well as through the cleanout on the ground.
FWIW when our daughter was about the age your son is she flushed a lot of stuff- like washcloths and toys. It clogged the drain line under the slab.
The pro can clean from the top all the way out to the sewer main. If you have never done it before this isn't the time to try.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#24]
If your shower, sink and toilet are all not draining, the clog is farther down the line. All 3 link up to the main but about 12-14 feet away to help prevent toilet water from backing up into your shower and sink. You might have to pull the toilet to run the larger snakes down the pipe or check outside/under your house to see if there is a clean out for those drains. The clean out will have a straighter run down the pipes.

I wonder if "jr" was playing with his rubber ducks/boats in the toilet and gave them a big flush?

Some Home Depot stores rent the professional type powered snakes. Make sure to get some solid leather gloves and keep the snake as straight as possible when you guide it in. It can jack you up/grab some skin if the line gets twisted up with your arms in the way.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Where in OK are you? I know a guy that does a fantastic job with drain cleanouts and charges $85 (day or night. no after hours fees.), if you don't want to do it yourself.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Get a 50' snake, and chuck it up in a cordless drill.  Hit it from the toilet and the cleanout.  I'd bet that'll get you fixed up.

My bet is on something flushed by the boy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Ugh. I don't know how plumbers do it....
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congratulations! Your fix may cost a couple of hundred dollars- a 50 foot power snake, not thousands to replace collapsed clay pipe. You lucked out.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#29]
The mother of all poop threads
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Where in OK are you? I know a guy that does a fantastic job with drain cleanouts and charges $85 (day or night. no after hours fees.), if you don't want to do it yourself.
View Quote

I'm in east OKC.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
P

View Quote
I take it you are on city sewer?  go out and check the clean out by the road.  if you see water backed up, call the sewer authority as it is their problem and they will unclog it, if no water your problem as its on your property.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like the 50' snake seems the best idea so far...going to see if I can find out if I have an accessible cleanout now...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm in east OKC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in east OKC.

Perfect. I'll IM you his #.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Looks like the 50' snake seems the best idea so far...going to see if I can find out if I have an accessible cleanout now...
View Quote

Before wasting money make sure it's not the sewer systems problem.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I saw your comment.  I'm probably not so lucky for that to be the case, though.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Yeah, I saw your comment.  I'm probably not so lucky for that to be the case, though.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never know, happen to a neighbor.   Called plumber and they dug up yard and replaced pipe, then told them the blockage was not on their property.   THey didn't know any better.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ugh. I don't know how plumbers do it....
View Quote

$2.25 a minute...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Try calling a real tool rental place.  When I had a clog I called Home Depot and they wanted about $20 more for the same size snake.  I also lucked out because the one I called did not have the smaller size one I was looking for so they rented me the bigger one for the price of the smaller one.  I got real lucky when I picked it up and it was brand new so I did not have to deal with someone elses crap slinging off the reel.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#39]
NO CHEMICALS!
The lye and such is sitting there waiting to blind you, not made for that type of clog!
You should have tried a bucket of hot water with a lot of dish soap in it.
Dump in quickly, (protect eyes from lye) repeat, then plunger, usually works, since you did have a slow flush.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#40]
OK- cleanout found!  It is on the rear of our property, right next to the house (and closest to our Master bathroom).

The cleanout is filled to the brim with (obviously sewage-y) water.

ETA:  Going to look for the "road side" cleanout now...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#41]

If you are going to do it yourself, find your cleanout and see if water/sewage is standing in the pipe. It will be really easy to tell because when you remove the cap- assuming it has one- the sewage will gush out. If it's dry the clog is between the house and cleanout.
Be careful when using the rooter tool. If you go from outside into the house you can easily destroy a toilet. If the cleanout is dry you can try pulling the toilet closest to the sewer main and rooting through there out to the cleanout. The clog, if you're lucky, is past the last toilet. Be aware that when you pull that toilet all of the sewer water standing behind it in the pipes from upstairs will come out onto that floor. Going through the roof vent is the best way to clear it if it's in the house, but that isn't easy to do yourself.

Check the cleanout before you do anything else and go from there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
OK- cleanout found!  It is on the rear of our property, right next to the house (and closest to our Master bathroom).

View Quote

Disregard my last long post then. Go rent a rooter and go through that cleanout towards the sewer main. Most are under the street but since your cleanout is in back like mine is the sewer main is probably under your rear fence.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Plunging is worthless in your situation.

The path of least resistance is drains on the same level or higher.

Your clog is further down. Get a large snake. Run it till you feel it hit. The run it more!

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#44]
That clean-out is what needs to be snake. If you don't have any experience using a sewer snake I would suggest calling a plumber.( shit can go bad real quick, and it the cable binds, it's going to be a bad day.) If you have tress around, it is probably roots in the line. Could also be a crack in the line.  snake it or get it snaked and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh boy. You have a situation on your hands! lol Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
NO CHEMICALS!
The lye and such is sitting there waiting to blind you, not made for that type of clog!
You should have tried a bucket of hot water with a lot of dish soap in it.
Dump in quickly, (protect eyes from lye) repeat, then plunger, usually works, since you did have a slow flush.
View Quote

Lye is very caustic as noted above.

Adding other chemicals may react in a bad way with lye.   I do not know what combinations are bad but no more at this point.  

If you have a slow drain adding a little water periodically should dilute it.

Use protection (eyes at the very least) if you snake it and if you have someone do it, advise them of the lye.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

If there's standing sewage in the cleanout, the clog is between the cleanout and the city line. So it's either on the city's side, or...you might have roots or a collapsed pipe.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
If there's standing sewage in the cleanout, the clog is between the cleanout and the city line. So it's either on the city's side, or...you might have roots or a collapsed pipe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Woman hygiene products will do a number on them.  No roots or collapse needed.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#49]
There's a lateral in there

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Couldn't find a roadside cleanout.  

Neighbor says there's supposed to be a manhole that's right along my property line, and we walked out there looking for it.  Problem is, there's tons of overgrowth and the light is dying.  I think I'm on my own in fixing this one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top