Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2014 5:13:37 PM EDT
I live in Iowa.
I've literally never been out of the central time zone.

What do I need to know about West Virginia?

Specifically the Morgantown area.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
When you hear the banjo playin start running and don't look back.  Keep running until you reach an ocean, then you'll probably be okay.  Best of luck to you, wear good running shoes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#2]
They burn couches during football season.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They burn couches during football season.
View Quote

Don't listen to all the BS. Its not bad at all. Good hunting and fishing. Very gun friendly
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Morgantown is College Town,,literally, there is no pro team (they adopt Steelers, but still). So, pretty much everything revolves around College Football and Basketball. Otherwise its typical town like any other.

Pittsburgh is just a few miles up the road, so you that for some culture if you want.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you asked this question in the WV Hometown forum?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#6]
People are hardscrabble. One once told me that life is not that good in WV, but it never gets that bad either. That's because a lot of the people are used to subsistence living or at least living below the poverty level and can make it on virtually nothing. Economy sucks. Coal is on the way out and lumber prices are way down. Perpetual depression.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I live a few hundred yards from WV.

Nice place. I would move there in a heartbeat if I was offered a good job there.
I don't really know much about Morgantown. I have driven through it a bunch of times but never went there and did anything. Seems like a nice enough place. About the right size if you want to live in town. Plenty of rural areas if you don't.  As was mentioned, there is a major freeway going to Pittsburgh. You are not all that far from the Northern Virginia/Washington DC area.

Those previous comments about the economy are certainly true of rural WV, but like any other state it isn't all about coal mining and living out in the sticks. The West Virginia that is close by me is only a half hour from downtown Pittsburgh with plenty of opportunity there. There is yet another part of WV on the North Eastern side where people work in the DC area and commute.

You may soon learn the meaning of the word; Hoopie aka Hoopjack
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I live in Iowa.

View Quote

I travel to the area once a month ( Bruceton Mills, Terra Alta and Kingwood ). So far, I found that the folks there are nice, some strange, but not out of the ordinary.
You'll do fine
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Morgantown is great, a college town.  Roads get a little congested at rush hour but not bad.  Quick access to interstates, that's a plus out here.  I'm right up the road in Connellsville PA.  Great hunting and fishing down that way.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I live in Iowa.

View Quote
Can I ask what industry/company? You can PM me if you want.

I worked for a company based out of Morgantown for about half a year. Typical college town in the mountains. Beautiful countryside.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
People are hardscrabble. One once told me that life is not that good in WV, but it never gets that bad either. That's because a lot of the people are used to subsistence living or at least living below the poverty level and can make it on virtually nothing. Economy sucks. Coal is on the way out and lumber prices are way down. Perpetual depression.
View Quote

Natural gas is changing that, especially in the Morgantown, Moundsville areas.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

There are a whole lot of recent hoopie millionaires.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Banjo much ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I worked for a company based out of Morgantown for about half a year. Typical college town in the mountains. Beautiful countryside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live in Iowa.

Coal power plant.  Recruiter is very interested in my qualifications.
I'm not sure which plant though, and that makes a huge difference to me.
Apparently one went bankrupt but is still online?

Before I get too interested, I thought I should see what the opinions here had to say.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I was born in WV and lived there when I was 4, went back many times to visit up to a teenager.  Damn glad my family moved out to a more prosperous state.

WV has tons of natural beauty, and it has many nice areas.

That said:

It's losing population because of the state its in.

It's #1 or top 5 for almost any and every bad thing in existence.  Obesity, diseases, poor education, etcetera.  It's not stereotypical, it's FACT.  WV is #1 for a LOT of bad things.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#17]
NERC Certified ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I live about 20min from Morgantown. Not a bad town overall.  State is poor lots of hillbillies.  We love our Mountaineers to the death. We have the best fans in the country. Life revolves around football and hunting season.  Either then that prepare yourself for lots of pot holes and rolling mountains.  And I'll see you in the oil patch once you realize thats where the money is and how there are no other job opportunities outside a 10 year degree. A six figure job means you live like royalty here.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was born in WV and lived there when I was 4, went back many times to visit up to a teenager.  Damn glad my family moved out to a more prosperous state.

WV has tons of natural beauty, and it has many nice areas.

That said:

It's losing population because of the state its in.

It's #1 or top 5 for almost any and every bad thing in existence.  Obesity, diseases, poor education, etcetera.  It's not stereotypical, it's FACT.  WV is #1 for a LOT of bad things.
View Quote

You'll find the same in any major city in any State. I would rather live in WV than NJ right now, I can't handle the congestion of people anymore
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Before I get too interested, I thought I should see what the opinions here had to say.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live in Iowa.

haha ok, just making sure it wasn't my former company. I'd have to warn you if it was, they were awful to work for

I liked the area, just not the job.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Morgantown is WVU. I wouldn't live anywhere near the campus. Right outside Morgantown is great. Country but close enough to drive to Pittsburgh or Washington.
As for the economy people, I don't know what you're talking about. Coal is going out but gas is in and in big. atleast in the Northern panhandle it's BOOMING. Can't find land anymore. If you can its 100x what it was worth 7 years ago. People are renting driveways with electric hook ups for the price of a small apartment in Pitt. Lots of people that were poor farmers 10 years ago now have more $$ than they can spend.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Great place to live.

I have family all over the country and we are the happiest of the bunch.

I work for a home health company that has an office in Morgantown and my daughter is in the Pharmacy program at WVU, so I usually find myself in Motown 3 or 4 times a month.

Very pleasant college community.

Like most advice on GD you would do well to visit it and see for yourself.

This weekend we are visiting a friend who owns an apple orchard.

There will be a country band playing.

Skeet shooting.

We usually end up get our concealed carry pistols out and lie about our shooting prowess.  Which leads to many insults and 9mm vs .45 vs revolver plinking and insulting.  I plan on starting the argument by bragging about my new S&W model 60.  But when the auto guys whine about capacity I'm gonna have the wifes airweight on my ankle and my vaquero in my filson jacket.  16 rounds of .357 goodness for when the 9mm chicks start bragging about capacity

We will all take turns making apple butter for his church.

Big BBQ.

If this type of stuff appeals to you this is the place.

If you are a city boy you'll be about an hour and a half from Pittsburg.

Good luck what ever you decide.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#24]
First thing that comes to mind with wva is.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#25]

How do you feel about your sister?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Go rent the "The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia".
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I went to WVU 8 years to get a 4 year degree.  I liked it there.  Lots of adventurous stuff in the area.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I live in Iowa.

View Quote

FBI Fingerprinting Headquarters in Fairmont?  All you need to know is my uncle used to own that land and the main entrance is built right where I shot my first buck.

Any other questions?

Seriously, it's a very nice place to live, but there is a lot of squalor as soon as you get out of Fairmont/Morgantown.  The people are nice enough, but if you move "out to the holler" you will ALWAYS be an outsider.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I live in Iowa.

View Quote

I live in Mingo county, Mingo County and Morgantown have as much in common as Eureka, CA and Death Valley.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How do you feel about your sister?

View Quote

Pics of sister?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#31]
OP I'm in charleston, if you ever want to talk about WV, IM me
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I went to WVU 8 years to get a 4 year degree.  I liked it there.  Lots of adventurous stuff in the area.
View Quote

Doesn't everyone that goes to WVU
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice collage town but I consider anything north of Charlestown a different state. Last time I went there everybody asked where I was from they said I had a southern draw that I could not be from Wv.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Amen!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I love WV. It is a little redneck but not a bad place at all.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Great outdoors state. MoTown is close to Pitt.

I could never move back though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I moved here 2 years ago but I still work in Va. I took a pay cut moving out west from Northern va. But it was worth it
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#39]
West Virginia....kinda like the Council Bluff area, except with hills. Big hills. As a flatlander, the hiking will flat out kick your ass til you get used to the hills. But you will do so fairly quickly because the state has some of the most awesome hiking places in the country.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Im a Charleston native. Lived in Morgantown for 4 years during college. I loved Morgantown, but its a college town. Now that im older if I were to move back to the area i would rather live outside of town. WV in general is beautiful that area is beautiful, especially in the fall. Your close to alot of nice areas to hunt and fish, and also to hike, bike, sight see if you like the outdoors. My good friend just moved back to Morgantown to work at a coal powered power plant, may be the same one your talking about. I love this state and highly recommend it to anyone. We are hard working and friendly people, not all of us are inbred pill heads although thats what most people think of us. Also WV is very gun friendly and pro 2A. PM me if you would like to know any specific details about the area and ill do my best to help ya out.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
FBI Fingerprinting Headquarters in Fairmont?  All you need to know is my uncle used to own that land and the main entrance is built right where I shot my first buck.

Any other questions?

Seriously, it's a very nice place to live, but there is a lot of squalor as soon as you get out of Fairmont/Morgantown.  The people are nice enough, but if you move "out to the holler" you will ALWAYS be an outsider.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I live in Iowa.

Any other questions?

Except it's not in Fairmont

ETA:  I transplanted here and really like it.  Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do.  As has been said, Morgantown is a large college town, so be careful where you choose to live.  Pittsburgh is a little less than 2 hours away, and has been said is the cultural place, if you're into that.

Living here, I do miss good restaurants and good grocery stores.  Food here is below average.  Shopping isn't great either, some things may require a trip to Pittsburgh if you can't find it at a walmart.

Feel free to PM with any questions.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I live in Iowa.

View Quote

Curious as to what kind of job? I have family in Morgantown, love that area.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#43]
If your sister isn't going with you you wont fit in.

bring plenty of oxycontins and the movie theatres are now showing Jaws for the first time.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

LOL! This.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

LOL! This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL! This.

too funny,
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

X2

The cheat lake area is nice.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#47]
1)  Burning couches in Morgantown is a Felony

2)  It is NOT flat

Beautiful country if you know where you are going.

It is also beautiful when you don't know where you are going, but much less fun when you figure that out.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Stay out
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Born in WV, lived most of my early years there, family still lives there, I no longer do. My step-daughter goes to college in Morgantown at WVU.

Moved around enough to know that you can find the stereotypes associated with WV everywhere, but WV does seem to have a higher number per capita.

Some places in WV can rival the beauty of anyplace you'll ever go, but the Morgantown area is not one of them. As far as the town itself goes, it is a HOLE.  Don't go near the place during football games or college move in/out days.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

ETA:  I transplanted here and really like it.  Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do.  As has been said, Morgantown is a large college town, so be careful where you choose to live.  Pittsburgh is a little less than 2 hours away, and has been said is the cultural place, if you're into that.
Living here, I do miss good restaurants and good grocery stores.  Food here is below average.  Shopping isn't great either, some things may require a trip to Pittsburgh if you can't find it at a walmart.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live in Iowa.

Any other questions?

Meh, Bridgeport/Fairmont.... I consider it the west end of Fairmont,

OP, are you familiar with a pepperoni roll?  If not you will be, lol.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top