Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2014 4:06:00 PM EDT

Companies like IBM used to invest in research, development, and manufacturing in the USA.  Those types of efforts created high-paying jobs for Americans.  

Nowadays, instead of focusing on their business, companies like IBM are playing games with their finances.  IBM spent $1.7B to buy back stock last quarter alone.  

Chief Executive Ginni Rometty made $6M+ selling stock her IBM stock last quarter.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#1]
IBM is generally a defensive company who reacts to others in the market.  Someone more familiar with the company can probably chime in, but I cannot remember the last time IBM was in the news for anything groundbreaking, but seem to stick the same market they've always had.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I grew up in the biggest IBM town in the world........and everyone worked for IBM. Hell, my old man was working for them for one year before he shipped out to Vietnam, and IBM held his job and paid him something like one week pay for every month of service. He came home, went back to IBM and did 29 years. Family picnics. Christmas gifts for the kids every year. Everyone in the area loved IBM.

And then the bottom fell out.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Big Blue

HP is another that has fallen from grace
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

IBM is generally a defensive company who reacts to others in the market.  Someone more familiar with the company can probably chime in, but I cannot remember the last time IBM was in the news for anything groundbreaking, but seem to stick the same market they've always had.
View Quote

I believe they have transitioned into a service oriented company and away from hardware.  They run systems for other companies.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I work for a company that made the mistake of purchasing a large quantity of IBM hardware.

They are, without a shadow of a doubt, in a tailspin.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I grew up in the biggest IBM town in the world........and everyone worked for IBM. Hell, my old man was working for them for one year before he shipped out to Vietnam, and IBM held his job and paid him something like one week pay for every month of service. He came home, went back to IBM and did 29 years. Family picnics. Christmas gifts for the kids every year. Everyone in the area loved IBM.

View Quote

Wappingers Falls?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I believe they have transitioned into a service oriented company and away from hardware.  They run systems for other companies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Computers? Mainframes?

Cloud!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes and once they get a contract their model is " You CANT AFFORD to leave us comrade, we hate you and you suck , invoice will be due this week,"

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wappingers Falls?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wappingers Falls?

East Fishkill, yeah.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
How's that forcing most global services to Dubuque going for them ...........
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

East Fishkill, yeah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wappingers Falls?

East Fishkill, yeah.

Both my grandfathers, my father and my aunt all worked for them.  I remember the IBM family days, those were the good ole days.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Anybody remember when IBM knowlingly assisted in the categorization of Jews for the Nazis?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#13]
IBM is nore more or less Lenovo.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wappingers Falls?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wappingers Falls?  

My bet is Endicott.  Birthplace of IBM with 13,000 employees at one time.  Now there may be 1300 IBMers left supervising the contractors who operate the site using temporary workers.  An awful lot of BARs came out of that factory during WWII.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
IBM is nore more or less Lenovo.
View Quote

IBM sold a half-dozen branches to Lenovo, but continues to support them for the next 10 years.  They are separate entities.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember when IBM ruled the burbs north of NYC.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

IBM created the "PC"

IBM is who put the first computer into most American homes.

But yeah, that was 25 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry you don't keep up with technology, but IBM is the world leader in R&D, driving more patents than any other company for more than 20 years.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#19]
What about Xerox ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#20]
IBM is not 'ground breaking' but they are a very solid company. They averaged around 6% profit on over 80 Billion USD in annual revenue from 2000-2010, but a lot of it came from overseas operations. As
such, the last couple of years have been a lot tougher as competition
ramps up in those markets. As far as I know, they are still a technology leader if judged by the number of U.S. Patents granted. They've one of the top 3 patent obtainers in the U.S.A. over the last 20 years or so. They usually come in first on an annual basis.
Out side of being groundbreaking, they're doing what needs to be done to stay afloat. For example:
Back in 2002-2006 hardware was becoming a commodity, anyone could put together a desktop or laptop from off the shelf parts ordered directly from the same suppliers who were providing them to IBM. IBM saw the writing on the wall and sold the business to Lenovo. They also looked at selling their server division to them as well.
Software on the other hand is fickle, but once a large company adopts a standard back-end (SAP, Peoplesoft, Oracle) it becomes extremely difficult and expensive to switch to another system. IBM provides the service to maintain and operate the back-end software on whatever hardware the company uses (while trying to upsell IBM server products to that client)
It has been a good strategy. Most companies want to focus on what makes them money. Hiring administrators and IT folks to facilitate said business is usually not the focal point. Enter IBM, EMC, Deloitte Consulting and all the rest of the big firms. They provide the support that allows the primary business to run. If I was running a company, I'd much rather have a contract with a 99.5% SLA with one of these guys than try to figure out how to do it myself. Plus, if anything goes wrong, the service provider is on the hook (supposedly).
Buying back stock can be done for many reasons, the amount of SEC/federal law around ownership percentages (and a number of activist investors acting like Richard Gere in Pretty Woman who are wreaking havoc in publicly traded companies) can cause companies to buy back stock to meet XYZ requirement if they want to continue running things their way.
BTW IBM Research Facilities Watson, Almaden, and apparently Austin are still here in the USA. Back when I worked for them I only remember them having 3, now there look to be 12 or so. Servers are still built in Rochester, MN but a lot of that has been moved to Mexico and Poughkeepsie. (Mostly Mexico).

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anybody remember when IBM knowlingly assisted in the categorization of Jews for the Nazis?
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Big Blue

HP is another that has fallen from grace
View Quote

IBM's fall from grace came with the help of Nazi Germany.

Want to streamline managing your "population".  Try IBM's new punch card computer!  It fits in just one building!!

eta: Beat x2.  Good!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I remember when IBM made computers, what the hell do they even do now?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Why invest in American when Obama will just ship your tech and jobs overseas.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

yes and once they get a contract their model is " You CANT AFFORD to leave us comrade, we hate you and you suck , invoice will be due this week,"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, our saying was "I Been Mugged".  When their first PC came out we called it an "Itty Bitty Machine".
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My bet is Endicott.  Birthplace of IBM with 13,000 employees at one time.  Now there may be 1300 IBMers left supervising the contractors who operate the site using temporary workers.  An awful lot of BARs came out of that factory during WWII.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wappingers Falls?  

Out in East Fishkill too. And don't forget Poughkeepsie.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Believe their big thing now is enterprise resource and risk management. They do the groundwork and speculation for setting up a business for global markets IIRC. HP does it too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I work for a company that made the mistake of purchasing a large quantity of IBM hardware.

They are, without a shadow of a doubt, in a tailspin.
View Quote

And to think. They made Microsoft and Intel by picking their software and chips for their PCs.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#29]
My uncle has an IBM meat grinder that we use to make venison hamburger.  Having used some of IBMs server and client products I would say the IBM meat grinder was the pinnacle of IBM technology.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sorry you don't keep up with technology, but IBM is the world leader in R&D, driving more patents than any other company for more than 20 years.

View Quote

It's easy to lose sight of that when they're having such a hard time making money.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, used to be a great company.  According to my buddy who worked finance, IBM's computer business was peanuts compared to the money they made on real estate.  Most of the property has since been sold off.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.

/lana
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yep, used to be a great company.  According to my buddy who worked finance, IBM's computer business was peanuts compared to the money they made on real estate.  Most of the property has since been sold off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what hasn't been sold off is an ecological disaster.

Superfund cleanup
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds very untrue.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#35]
According to Wiki, they are still a very successful company. Slight loss of revenue last year (5%).
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Yep, our saying was "I Been Mugged".  When their first PC came out we called it an "Itty Bitty Machine".

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's Better Manually.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

IBM is not 'ground breaking' but they are a very solid company. They averaged around 6% profit on over 80 Billion USD in annual revenue from 2000-2010, but a lot of it came from overseas operations. As such, the last couple of years have been a lot tougher as competition ramps up in those markets. As far as I know, they are still a technology leader if judged by the number of U.S. Patents granted. They've one of the top 3 patent obtainers in the U.S.A. over the last 20 years or so. They usually come in first on an annual basis.

Out side of being groundbreaking, they're doing what needs to be done to stay afloat. For example:

Back in 2002-2006 hardware was becoming a commodity, anyone could put together a desktop or laptop from off the shelf parts ordered directly from the same suppliers who were providing them to IBM. IBM saw the writing on the wall and sold the business to Lenovo. They also looked at selling their server division to them as well.

Software on the other hand is fickle, but once a large company adopts a standard back-end (SAP, Peoplesoft, Oracle) it becomes extremely difficult and expensive to switch to another system. IBM provides the service to maintain and operate the back-end software on whatever hardware the company uses (while trying to upsell IBM server products to that client)

It has been a good strategy. Most companies want to focus on what makes them money. Hiring administrators and IT folks to facilitate said business is usually not the focal point. Enter IBM, EMC, Deloitte Consulting and all the rest of the big firms. They provide the support that allows the primary business to run. If I was running a company, I'd much rather have a contract with a 99.5% SLA with one of these guys than try to figure out how to do it myself. Plus, if anything goes wrong, the service provider is on the hook (supposedly).

Buying back stock can be done for many reasons, the amount of SEC/federal law around ownership percentages (and a number of activist investors acting like Richard Gere in Pretty Woman who are wreaking havoc in publicly traded companies) can cause companies to buy back stock to meet XYZ requirement if they want to continue running things their way.

BTW IBM Research Facilities Watson, Almaden, and apparently Austin are still here in the USA. Back when I worked for them I only remember them having 3, now there look to be 12 or so. Servers are still built in Rochester, MN but a lot of that has been moved to Mexico and Poughkeepsie. (Mostly Mexico).    
View Quote

So, looking forward, where is IBM going?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Bring back M1 Carbine!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

LENOVO
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Let's go back in the time machine it's 1966 and Ger42 is working for a milk coop in Newington CT. programming on and IBM 1130. Those were the days of bit and byte manipulation. IBM was king once you were a client to took and act of god to get rid of them. What an IBM'er said was it. You did not argue. I got the programmers position when the guy who had the position took a stance against IBM. He got canned the next day.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#41]
We had an investment challenge in high school, way back when.  We were supposed to put together a portfolio based on a hypothetical amount of money.  I chose IBM as one of the stocks, and it made tremendous gains.  I ended up winning the challenge, based partly on that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

They sell things to LENOVO.

Their network gear was the latest thing to go the way of Lennie-O.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#43]
IBM will go in the way of Pan Am.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I remember thinking IBM was basically the ONLY name in computers as a kid back during the 80s. It was all they had in my school. I suppose the first batch my school bought was actually among the first of their PCs. I found myself fascinated by the Apple computers another school in the region had when I went there on some kind of trip. It was the first time I'd ever seen any of those in person. This was probably around 1985-86, or thereabouts. I guess those models were state of the art at the time. But looking at how limited they were from today's standpoint, they almost seem laughable, especially considering how much a computer cost in the mid 1980s.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

East Fishkill, yeah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wappingers Falls?

East Fishkill, yeah.

I used to work as a vendor at East Fiskill
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Every major analyst worth listening to has had IBM as a BUY for the last three years. I'm sure their not going anywhere, and put out a decent dividend
as well. More ARFCOM "the sky is falling". My favorite was a few years ago when I bought 10k shares of B of A at $6, and everyone on the GD
told me I was crazy, and they were going to be out of business in six months. I sold it last January for $16.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

IBM will go in the way of Pan Am.
View Quote
That's exactly where they're headed.  There's no focus in their business.  Sales have been dropping for the past couple of years.  

Just like Pan Am, some other company will buy the planes and keep them flying...

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they are dumping dead technology and focusing on R&D for next gen manufacturers

just because the product you are using is not branded IBM, does not mean you are not using their patents
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#49]

here is everything you ever needed to know:

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Good friend from college, his dad worked for them.

He lived in St Louis and refused to move to NY for a promotion.

He flew back and forth every week from SL at company expense to his company apartment in NY.

He also wore a blue shirt one day.

No one spoke to him all day.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top