BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not that it's slow. It's buggy as shit.

If they can't get an update to work reliably with a given device they should not even offer the update for that device. This is apples fuck up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL at all the people that are using a device that was released during IOS4, and expecting it to still be fast 4 versions of the OS later.  It's like expecting a Windows XP machine to run just as quickly with Windows 8.

Don't just blindly update your OS, people.  Hang back and read some reviews first.  It only took a few hours from the release of IOS8 to reveal that it absolutely sucked with iPad 2 and iPhone 4 devices.

It's not that it's slow. It's buggy as shit.

If they can't get an update to work reliably with a given device they should not even offer the update for that device. This is apples fuck up.

Or just not update?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Can't

Don't have enough room  
View Quote

Do it through iTunes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Works on the wife's gaypad.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So it's not just me?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Downloading it now, for an iPad 3. I'll do my iPhone 5s later.

Hopefully, this fixes an annoying problem with Safari and my needing to constantly refresh pages when returning from another app (or tab). For whatever reason, it happens most on arfcom, too.

So it's not just me?

Still doing it. I click on a link in my subscriptions, it opens in a new tab, I finish reading, close the tab, and it returns to my subscriptions tab...except my subscriptions tab is blank. I have to refresh it every time. Seriously annoying.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Still doing it. I click on a link in my subscriptions, it opens in a new tab, I finish reading, close the tab, and it returns to my subscriptions tab...except my subscriptions tab is blank. I have to refresh it every time. Seriously annoying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully, this fixes an annoying problem with Safari and my needing to constantly refresh pages when returning from another app (or tab). For whatever reason, it happens most on arfcom, too.

So it's not just me?

Especially if you are trying to post a reply. Go to another tab to check something, comeback to the reply tab and it refreshes and you lost your reply
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Especially if you are trying to post a reply. Go to another tab to check something, comeback to the reply tab and it refreshes and you lost your reply
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So it's not just me?

Apple needs more RAM in iPads. Pretty much not going to change Safari reloading pages until they do. Hopefully the iPad Air 2 has 2GB or more. We got rid of our Air because of crappy Safari performance, and its due to a lack of RAM. Only so much software can do to make up for it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Apple needs more RAM in iPads. Pretty much not going to change Safari reloading pages until they do. Hopefully the iPad Air 2 has 2GB or more. We got rid of our Air because of crappy Safari performance, and its due to a lack of RAM. Only so much software can do to make up for it.
View Quote

What sucks, is that it's doing it even when Safari is literally the only application running.

And arfcom is the worst, for whatever reason. <shrug>
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
2 Iphone 5s an iPad and an iPad Mini all this weekend. Had a hell of a time getting the wife's and my calanders straighten out. Haven't had any other problems.
With all the options on the Iphone and iPad gone are the "Apple is so simple" days.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#9]
lol why?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's not just me?

That does suck. My issue is that most of the buttons and links on the Arf webpage still won't respond if I launch in landscape. Working with tabs from subscriptions or active topics work fine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

SMS forwarding and calls don't need BT to work. You have to go on the settings>messages>SMS forwarding on your phone, and then a code should pop up in the Messages app on your Mac. Type that code into your phone, and it should work from then on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No issues here.

The whole "Continuity" thing was a big cocktease.   My Macbook isn't supported since I don't have Bluetooth 4.0 LE or some such.  I was looking forward to the text/call integration with Messages.  

SMS forwarding and calls don't need BT to work. You have to go on the settings>messages>SMS forwarding on your phone, and then a code should pop up in the Messages app on your Mac. Type that code into your phone, and it should work from then on.

I tried that after my 6 updated to 8.1  When I switch the button, it prompts my phone to enter the code sent to my Macbook.  I've tried a few times now, the Messages app will open, but I don't see any code popping up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I tried that after my 6 updated to 8.1  When I switch the button, it prompts my phone to enter the code sent to my Macbook.  I've tried a few times now, the Messages app will open, but I don't see any code popping up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No issues here.

The whole "Continuity" thing was a big cocktease.   My Macbook isn't supported since I don't have Bluetooth 4.0 LE or some such.  I was looking forward to the text/call integration with Messages.  

Maybe try turning iMessages off on your phone, go to the Mac messages app preferences>accounts>iMessage>sign out.

Then sign back in, and enable iMessage on your phone. Then try again with SMS forwarding, and see if you can get the code.

Edit- Just want to make sure you are running OS X Yosemite, right?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I just updated without issue.

I hope this version fixes the hot flaming mess Safari has become under iOS 8, but I can see they didn't fix the stupid auto-hide on the menu bar...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's not just me?

You're not alone.

Also, the text editing went completely to shit, although right now (under 8.1) it seems to be improved...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Maybe try turning iMessages off on your phone, go to the Mac messages app preferences>accounts>iMessage>sign out.

Then sign back in, and enable iMessage on your phone. Then try again with SMS forwarding, and see if you can get the code.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No issues here.

Yep, I'm fully up to date on everything.  I signed out of both and back in and now the text forwarding is working. Thanks for the suggestion.

But the calling isn't.  I called myself a few times from the office line and no dice, nothing is popping up on my screen.  Is there another screen with a turn on toggle for calling?  I looked in Settings - Cellular but didn't see anything.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope.

Tap in the text-entry box, and the display goes to the top of the web page. I have to scroll down to see WTF I'm typing.

Fuckers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yep, I'm fully up to date on everything.  I signed out of both and back in and now the text forwarding is working. Thanks for the suggestion.

But the calling isn't.  I called myself a few times from the office line and no dice, nothing is popping up on my screen.  Is there another screen with a turn on toggle for calling?  I looked in Settings - Cellular but didn't see anything.
View Quote

iPhone>Settings>Facetime>iPhone Cellular Calls>Toggle On
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was it.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Reboot.  

My ipad2 is working better after a reboot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Slow as fuck and constant crashes. iPad 2.

May fuck be upon it.
Reboot.  

My ipad2 is working better after a reboot.

That was the first thing I did. No bueno. Does your bookmark window stay open even after you select the page you want to go to?

Also, when I post on Arfcom, the page used to scroll down so that the window I type in was just above the keyboard. Now, it just stays behind the keyboard so the first thing you have to do when opening the window is scroll the page up so you can see what you're typing.

I liked the old one better. I have yet to see a single "improvement" on this update.

EDIT: Ahhh yes, Subnet reminded me about the constantly having to refresh the page when I close out a tab or return to a page. They fucked up simple web browsing beyond belief.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Glad to see people having good luck with ios8. I have had lots of problems on our iPads and phones (5s). Mostly gray screening and rally really slow and Vicky execution on apps. Safari is the worst.  
View Quote

x87
Turned my iPad 3 into a slug.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]
id love to upgrade my ipad mini to cure the internet being so slow its unusable.

problem is i cant upgrade to 8.1 because the internet is so slow its unusable
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
id love to upgrade my ipad mini to cure the internet being so slow its unusable.

problem is i cant upgrade to 8.1 because the internet is so slow its unusable
View Quote

Connect to a computer and use iTunes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I've found that constantly updating OTA on top of each update was starting to slow down my iPad 3.  I updated it to 8.02 then I did a device reset and brought it back to factory, it seems to run a bit better.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Once there is a Jailbreak available, then yes I might upgrade.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Just updated and my iPad mini two and is still using MASSIVE amounts of data when sending SMS text. This is been happening ever since  iOS8.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I've found that constantly updating OTA on top of each update was starting to slow down my iPad 3.  I updated it to 8.02 then I did a device reset and brought it back to factory, it seems to run a bit better.
View Quote

I do a full DFU restore, and start as new with each major update. Never had a problem like some people have. I suspect, as you said, doing OTA updates causes issues for some people. Pain in the butt downloading everything again, and setting the phone up, but worth it in the long run.

Also, the iPad 3 is more or less an iPad 2 with a Retina screen performance wise. A lot of people were upset when they released the iPad 4 so soon after the 3. The 3 has always been a bit of a dud, and was glitchy out of the box. Didn't have the performance needed for the Retina screen. Best Buy is offering a minimum of $200 trade in towards an Air 2 with a working iPad 2 or newer. Might be worth it for some people with older devices. http://9to5toys.com/2014/10/18/ipad-air-2-best-trade-offer/
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I do a full DFU restore, and start as new with each major update. Never had a problem like some people have. I suspect, as you said, doing OTA updates causes issues for some people. Pain in the butt downloading everything again, and setting the phone up, but worth it in the long run.

Also, the iPad 3 is more or less an iPad 2 with a Retina screen performance wise. A lot of people were upset when they released the iPad 4 so soon after the 3. The 3 has always been a bit of a dud, and was glitchy out of the box. Didn't have the performance needed for the Retina screen. Best Buy is offering a minimum of $200 trade in towards an Air 2 with a working iPad 2 or newer. Might be worth it for some people with older devices. http://9to5toys.com/2014/10/18/ipad-air-2-best-trade-offer/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I think the problem with OTA's in the large file size and the OS having to unpack itself.  I can't do it at home with iTunes because I have DSL so it would take hours if not days to update.

Knock on wood the only problem I've had with my iPad 3 is occasionally the home button in unresponsive.  I think it's due to dust so I used a quick hit of compressed air and it seems to make the problem go away.  I have noticed it's a little less snappy after each of the bigger iOS updates, but I am not ignorant to the fact that it's a roughly 3 year old device.  

I like the newest iPad Airs, but I generally hate buying "S" generation models because historically, new hardware changes are usually the next to follow after an "S" update.  The iPad has a bit different update history though than the iPhone.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Updated my 6 with no issues.
was really looking forward to Pay, and that USAA was a supporting member.  Go to add my USAA debit card and it says its not accepted.  Guess USAA won't allow their cards to be used until Nov 7th.  Was able to get my Chase united Visa added tho.  Think I'm going to try it out at subway tonight.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Updated earlier today.  Zero issues.  I really like the message/phone integration with Yosemite.  It's been very very slick so far and already proving quite handy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Upgrading now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Just updated my iPhone 5 to 8.02 tonight. I have tried to do it thru iTunes for a few weeks but it always timed out because of slow download speeds, usually showing 30-40hrs to complete,  while my ISP speed is working just fine. I finally updated on the phone via wifi and it was done in about 20 min. Seems work fine.

Ipad2 is downloading now via wifi. hope I didn't push my luck too far...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Works fine on my 5
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

What sucks, is that it's doing it even when Safari is literally the only application running.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the same problem. To avoid the blank page, before closing out the thread's tab, I tap the subscription tab, then back to the thread's tab to close it. To me it's slight less annoying than having to reload the subscription page.

I would have thought they would've fixed by now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Updated my iPhone 5 and iPad Air. Working great so far.  I like how the iPad  now shows the iPhone as a hotspot in the wifi settings . Time to try it out and if it works well VZW will lose that $10 a month for the iPad.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Just did my 5s.  Seems to be working fine. No major lag or anything.  As stated about its good to see the camera roll back.  Running though my apps now to see if they are working.

Sir James...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Couple hours ago, iPhone 5.  Seemed a little slow/choppy at first, did a reboot and it's fine now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Its fucking horrible. Fuck you apple!

I updated my ipad 2 to the new IOS 8 but won't to my phone because of how much it sucks. I might as well do this update to my ipad because it is already fucked…

It's amazing how fast they went to shit once Jobs died
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's not just me?

Its fucking horrible. Fuck you apple!

I updated my ipad 2 to the new IOS 8 but won't to my phone because of how much it sucks. I might as well do this update to my ipad because it is already fucked…

It's amazing how fast they went to shit once Jobs died

This shit happened under Jobs too. All part of Apple's business model to force hardware upgrades. If your hardware is 2 or more generations behind the major update, DON'T FUCKING UPDATE.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

This shit happened under Jobs too. All part of Apple's business model to force hardware upgrades. If your hardware is 2 or more generations behind the major update, DON'T FUCKING UPDATE.
View Quote

There's no conspiracy to get you to go buy new stuff. They optimize the current OS to run on the newest hardware not devices that are FOUR generations old. I'd rather they cut off older devices sooner so more could be done with new devices but then people would bitch about how they aren't getting updates anymore.

Just like app dev's have to include compatibility for all these old devices people are still using.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Just updated my.gov phone, it didn't brick it
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm so tired of updates
View Quote

How else are they going to fix all the bugs?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm so tired of updates

...And make sure you can't do anything they don't want you to do.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There's no conspiracy to get you to go buy new stuff. They optimize the current OS to run on the newest hardware not devices that are FOUR generations old. I'd rather they cut off older devices sooner so more could be done with new devices but then people would bitch about how they aren't getting updates anymore.

Just like app dev's have to include compatibility for all these old devices people are still using.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's why I decided to upgrade to the 6. Sprint Buyback gave me $238 for my 16GB iPhone 5, and the iPhone 6 64GB cost me $268 after tax with 2 yr contract extension.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:28:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone had Bluetooth issues such as not connecting with your car or iPhone not connecting with iPad, and had the issues resolved?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:58:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is piss-poor customer relations not to make clear which older devices should not be updated - heck, we always have to learn from the mistakes of others.  On top of it, I can't seem to clear the annoying red "1" that wants me to update.  They need a "stop looking for updates" feature if that's how they want to play.  Also, the stores should reset bricked phones to the older OS.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:12:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
All part of Apple's business model to force hardware upgrades.
View Quote

That is just retarded.  There is no business model to force people to upgrade.  Do you expect them to write an OS that makes the powerful new device work to it's potential, but still be nerfed to the point that idiots using a 4 year old device can still run it?  It's not going to happen... as it just isn't possible.

I learned about 20 years ago that if your computer/device/whatever is at the very bottom of the minimum requirements for any new software.. don't waste your time, as it's not going to run very well to be a pleasant experience.  Sure, it'll run it, but it isn't going to be that great because of the old ass hardware people are trying to use.  

Yet all these retards are always claiming Apple has some "forced obsolescence" tactic going.  People need to realize that the iPhone 4 that they got for fucking free two years ago is 4 generations behind and isn't going to run the latest and greatest software.

The only thing Apple should do is give people the ability to downgrade the version of IOS they are using to whatever worked best before they did the recent update.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:34:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Tagged for more updates.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:37:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Tagged for more updates.
View Quote

My iPad is running better with 8.1 than it was with 8.0.2(I think )

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:49:59 AM EDT
[#50]
iPad Air and iPhone 6 both updated OTA happily. No issues at all.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top