Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 12:35:39 PM EDT
Which is a worse abomination?

I hear all sorts of criticism about Silverlight, but as a user of it I've never had a problem with it (on PC or Mac).  That's more than I can say about Flash.

Most of the shit talk about Silverlight centers around developing for it rather that using it on one's computer though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Both suck. HTML5 FTW
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Tough choice, but I had to vote for flash, just because it comes from the minds of Adobe, who I've hated for years for their ability to take something good, and turn it into a huge piece of shit that infiltrates and infects your computer like a virus.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Flash
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
More websites use Flash, so there will be more problems with it. We only install Silverlight by request in my work environment (campus with about a thousand PC's).
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Wasn't flash thr product that got apple computers infected  a few years ago?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More websites use Flash, so there will be more problems with it. We only install Silverlight by request in my work environment (campus with about a thousand PC's).
View Quote

If Netflix didn't use it I don't think I'd have it on any of my personal computers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If Netflix didn't use it I don't think I'd have it on any of my personal computers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my only need for it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#8]
The main difference between the two is Flash has access to your computers clipboard and Silverlight does not.  That is where the security issues come in to play with Flash.  On an interesting note, for the geeks here, the Microsoft Azure dashboard uses Flash to copy to the clipboard.  That's right Microsoft's latest and most advanced product uses a competitors control instead of their own.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tough choice, but I had to vote for flash, just because it comes from the minds of Adobe, who I've hated for years for their ability to take something good, and turn it into a huge piece of shit that infiltrates and infects your computer like a virus.
View Quote

They're kind of like Symantec (Norton) in that regard.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#10]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't often run into problems with either.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or McAfee, for that matter.  Actually, I mostly hate anything to do with PDF files.  PDF = how to take a text file and make it 20 times bigger, and require a viewer that crashes your computer every other day to open it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I wish Adobe would just buy Java from Oracle.  Then then would own the perfect trifecta of shitty software.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Misread the poll, meant to vote for flash.

The only thing that Adobe has ever got right was Photoshop, and only because nobody else has photo editing software that compares.

Gimp comes close enough, at least.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't often run into problems with either.
View Quote

This.

I've had flash on my browser crash from time to time, and it bugs you asking to install updates.  That's about it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#16]
They both suck, but I choose Silverlight.

YouTube was INSANELY slow for me for a week. Updated Adobe and it fixed my problem.

My real gripe here is that there was no notification, no automatic update, just BOOM... "YouTube sucks until you figure it out. Good luck."
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The only thing that Adobe has ever got right was Photoshop, and only because nobody else has photo editing software that compares.

View Quote

I use PaintShop Pro 8 - the last version before Jasc sold it to Corel, who did a job on it that would make Adobe proud.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I use PaintShop Pro 8 - the last version before Jasc sold it to Corel, who did a job on it that would make Adobe proud.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha! I still use version 5. It's such a simple light weight picture editing application. It does pretty much every thing I need it to do and it's simple. Never used Photoshop. I've used GIMP for a few very specific needs (DirectX texture editing mainly) and it always leaves me looking like this:
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

More and more websites are using less of it.  As matter of fact, our company is ditching it all together and adopting HTML5 only.  No more FLEX development

ETA:  Flash will be gone very soon.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Haha! I still use version 5. It's such a simple light weight picture editing application. It does pretty much every thing I need it to do and it's simple. Never used Photoshop. I've used GIMP for a few very specific needs (DirectX texture editing mainly) and it always leaves me looking like this:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd hook you up with v8, but all my crap is in storage while my house is being built.  Hell, I still have the first version I used on a floppy disk.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Both suck. HTML5 FTW
View Quote
++

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Both suck. HTML5 FTW
View Quote

FPNI!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top