Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/20/2014 9:07:46 AM EDT
I got to fire an M16 with an ACOG this weekend ( never had used any Trijicon magnified optics before). I am amazed at the quality of the optic which I guess was the 1-4x with red Chevron.

If one didn't have the cash to spend for an ACOG, what is the next best similar optic for the money ( do not want a separate optic and magnifier).

Is there a less expensive high quality option or does Trijicon have the market on this one??
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I THINK Trijicon is the only one that has a tritium illuminated optic (if we're thinking the same optic here), or, at least they're the only company I know of that does.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Mepro M21 possibly?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#3]
A used one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A used one.
View Quote

thats it because you have to scrape the bottom of the barrel pretty hard, and all you will
come up with is ~$100 stuff

I went the Magnifier route. later an ACOG.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Used ACOG.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the Primary Arms Compact AR scopes for the cheaper end choice.

Currently using the PAC 2.5X with the ACSS "Koala" reticule.  It works extremely well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Currently using the PAC 2.5X with the ACSS "Koala" reticule.  It works extremely well.
View Quote

I recently got one, its sweet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got to fire an M16 with an ACOG this weekend ( never had used any Trijicon magnified optics before). I am amazed at the quality of the optic which I guess was the 1-4x with red Chevron.

If one didn't have the cash to spend for an ACOG, what is the next best similar optic for the money ( do not want a separate optic and magnifier).

Is there a less expensive high quality option or does Trijicon have the market on this one??
View Quote

Burris makes a pretty decent 3x and 5x  optics. (AR 332 & AR 536 respectively) PA has knock offs of these.

I have a 332 that I picked up used for a very good price. Decent optics, a bit heavy.

Hands down my ACOG is worlds better
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#9]
P A has ur answer...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#10]

I got a TA31F, put it in a Larue mount, then sold it. The eye relief was unacceptable for with BUIS.

I'd rather have an Aimpoint or EoTech plus a magnifier. Yes, I know they require batteries.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#11]
PA  6x scope
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I got a TA31F, put it in a Larue mount, then sold it. The eye relief was unacceptable for with BUIS.
View Quote

You're doing it wrong if you have an ACOG and BUIS on the same rifle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Burris makes a pretty decent 3x and 5x  optics. (AR 332 & AR 536 respectively) PA has knock offs of these.

I have a 332 that I picked up used for a very good price. Decent optics, a bit heavy.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to suggest this.  For range use, well... actually 99% of what average folks actually use their AR's for, it's just fine.

Grab one and start socking a little money away for an ACOG.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#14]
The burris tac 30 and mtac optic are nice for the $. I've also used on of the burris prismatics (fixed 3x) and was pretty impressed with it for 300 bucks. I've heard a lot of people refer to them as the poor mans acog.  

The 1-4 variables are very handy, you can run them like a red dot at 1 power and with a little practice have no issues hitting out to 500 or 600 at 4x.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#15]
As for a piece of quality glass that has a Lifetime Warrenty and is good quality.  You can get a Leupold 1-4 illuminted for around $500. The Leatherwood HiLux 1x4 gets good reviews for about $350(cept their warranty is a bitch to deal with or so Ive been told) If you just want something as a range toy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Less expensive than an ACOG is a wide range.  Without a budget, it's hard to make recommendations.

Used ACOG is the next best option, but you are still probably looking at $800.

I'd put the next step down at Primary Arms:
Try this

It's 4x magnification like the ACOG and has a multifunctional reticle.  It uses batteries, though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'd rather have an Aimpoint or EoTech plus a magnifier. Yes, I know they require batteries.

View Quote

I did pretty much the same thing, minus the buis.  Then I found a TA33, it's awesome.  Maybe even......perfect.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also have both, the Burris is a good alternative
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Vortex Viper PST 1-4 MOA.

You could even get the 1-6 Razor for similar money as an ACOG 4x.

I'm running the 1-4 MRAD on my 18" White Oak Armament build, a 1-6 MRAD on my KAC, and a 1-4 MOA is en route for my Noveske 16" so I can try a different reticle.

And the Vipers will run you $500.

Shameless pics:

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I have 2 of those. They are nice. Never used an acog outside of a video game though, so no real point of comparison.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a PAC4X on my 18" rifle, and I like it a lot.  It's not quite as sharp as an actual ACOG, but it's got a little more eye relief, and the ballistic reticle is a nice feature.  I'd say it's an 75-80% substitute for 25-30% of the price, and that's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Save up and keep your eyes on Grabagun and DVOR/Optics Planet.   They run some good sales on ACOGs.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I found my acog (TA33) like new on the EE for $760

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#27]
As said the Burris AR332 is a pretty decent optic
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View Quote

I use a standard LaRue mount for mine, but you didn't look close enough when buying. LaRue makes a mount to put it further back.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why?

Because the glass on the ACOG is unbreakable? Any weapon I'm using for defense is going to have a BUIS.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/AR-15_Paul/Rifles/FourARsCloser_zpsd8f9deb0.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Because the glass on the ACOG is unbreakable? Any weapon I'm using for defense is going to have a BUIS.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/AR-15_Paul/Rifles/FourARsCloser_zpsd8f9deb0.jpg

I agree with your thinking 100%
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Just buy one used with dead tritium.  The tritium is as useless as teats on a boar
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Any of the nicer 1-4,6, or 8x scopes. Only problem is that they almost all weigh as much as a red dot and a scope combined and you are only saving a few hundred,

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Less expensive than an ACOG is a wide range.  Without a budget, it's hard to make recommendations.

Used ACOG is the next best option, but you are still probably looking at $800.

I'd put the next step down at Primary Arms:
Try this

It's 4x magnification like the ACOG and has a multifunctional reticle.  It uses batteries, though.
View Quote

What he said.

As an aside, I don't run BUIS with an ACOG.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#33]
ACOG's are great fixed power scopes that are compact, combat tough housing, and added bonus of a well designed tritium lighted reticle.
If you want a less costly alternative, but can sacrifice some in the compact, tough, and lighted reticle, many scopes are out there which are as good if not better than an ACOG.
If cost is slowing you down for the right now, go with one of those and then save up your pennies and get the real deal ACOG and sell the stand-in scope or throw it on your secondary.  There are many to pick from.  And as I saw on other posts, an ACOG has a fixed power magnification.  Combat scopes mentioned are not magnified.  Huge difference.
I remember when ACOGs first came out in the 80's and were rarely seen.  Other than adding more different sizes, reticle illumination, BAC they haven't changed much and I've always wanted one.  I've used them here and there over the years and recently bought my own last year.A used one for $700.

I highly recommend an ACOG and if you can get one, do so.  You will not regret.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

This, I have a Magpul BUS under my TA31F. to use it I'd have to remove the ACOG, and hopefully it will never get used, because that means my ACOG broke. But its still there if I need it.

Also, OP, I got my ACOG off Amazon from their "warehouse deals" new for $615. It had been listed as used - like new, but it was brand new in box with blank warranty card and everything. They're not often on there for that price, but you can usually find them popping up around 800 still. They go quick though, you have to watch every day for a few months to snag one.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A used one.
View Quote

100% this.

Lurk the EE for a while.
What is your budget?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, the ACOG is a BUIS!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just buy one used with dead tritium.  The tritium is as useless as teats on a boar
View Quote

Umm... No.  No it's not.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As for a piece of quality glass that has a Lifetime Warrenty and is good quality.  You can get a Leupold 1-4 illuminted for around $500. The Leatherwood HiLux 1x4 gets good reviews for about $350(cept their warranty is a bitch to deal with or so Ive been told) If you just want something as a range toy.
View Quote

+1 Leupold 1-4 GTG
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

while that is a great sight, (even if it's big), it has no magnification. I had one for a year or so and liked it. That was about 13 years ago. Many better smaller sights now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:This, I have a Magpul BUS under my TA31F.

You are backing up pretty much the strongest site ever with pretty much the weakest irons ever. (Unless you have the pro's those are ok)

Irons are already weaker than ACOGs, let alone if they are plastic.

Why bother?

I've used them for a while now without issues on several rifles. If I'm really taking the thing into battle, I'll take the metal Troy dioptic sight off my HD AR and stick it on there instead of the plastic one. But for a place holder probably never get used backup, its fine.

And why bother? Why not? If you have extra sights laying around, it doesn't harm anything to throw one on there, for the .000001% chance I somehow break my ACOG out in the field. Stranger things have happened.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#42]
I'd say a used ACOG

Or, the Trijicon 1-4x scopes are also very nice, but cheaper.  I think you can find them in the $600 range.  It's been a while since I looked, but they are also very nice.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

why? you dont shoot low light? I do, and like my TA01, ordering a new TA11e next week.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Since you won't get all the characteristics of the ACOG without paying for one, which characteristics are you looking for? Glass quality? Durability? Magnification? Reticle illumination? Compactness?

I've found the closest thing for compactness to be the PA prism scopes. I have two of them, and I'm happy with the results. They aren't all that lightweight, but they're short, and have sufficient eye relief for general use. I can't think they're as durable as an ACOG, but I'm not parachuting into Baghdad anytime soon. For $250, I feel like I certainly got my money's worth.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You are backing up pretty much the strongest site ever with pretty much the weakest irons ever. (Unless you have the pro's those are ok)

Why bother?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why bother?

2 is 1, one is none. When his iron sights break, he has an ACOG on there for backup.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found the 332 on sale online when I got my first rifle.  I would agree that the ACOG is nicer - but if your budget cannot stretch for an ACOG I think it makes a great substitute.  They actually had a rebate offered for that Burris optic not too long ago ($100 rebate) - maybe it is still goin gon.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why bother?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why bother?

Wasn't there a really good durability test that showed MBUS can withstand drops better than both Troy and Diamonhead?

ETA: http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Go used. Fwiw I had a ta31f. Sold it within a year though.

Loved the compactness and durability, but for what I wanted a scope for it just didn't fit the bill. It was very well built, great quality, but the reticle didt allow me te precision I wanted. It was an awesome scope for my hunting ar.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Nothing replaces the ACOG because nothing legit has the ACOG look. You want people to instantly recognize your optic and not think you're poor people right?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#50]
If I had to drop the coin for an ACOG, I probably could do it.
If I had to place a budget on it, I'd say $800 would be the mist I'd like to spend. I was out at Knob Creek and someone in a thread here mentioned there might be "$300 painted ACOGs" someone usually sells (I guess surplus) so that was the first thing I looked for, to no avail. That was before I ever used one though. I knew they were good but didn't know HOW good.

As far as what I like about them:
Optical Quality
Just the right amount of Magnification
The tritium seemed perfectly bright (I have the Mepro and it seems to pale in comparison, plus no magnification)
The ACOG is relatively compact as compared to a red dot with a magnifier
Last but not least, battle quality durability.-I'm not hauling my AR off to war but I like to know that my optic can take some abuse. That same day, my lightly used Vortex Strikefire conked out on me and as good as Vortex is with their warranty, it's gonna be annoying to have to contact them, get an RMA, etc.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top