Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2014 8:16:22 AM EDT
I have a friend who's looking for a compact Bluetooth speaker for his cell phone.  I don't know anything about them...what's the best one for the money?  Specifically when it comes to volume for size, range and durability?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#1]
We have been really happy with the Bose Soundlink Mini bluetooth speaker.

It might not be the loudest speaker out there, but the quality has been kick ass.  The downside is that it runs about twice what a comparable size speaker does from

other companies.  I figure that is partly due to the name, but you can't ignore how well it works.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I am sure it isn't the best sound quality (audiophile use) but the Mrs. bought me one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FWMZY9S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's pretty loud with a rich bass & I like the fact that I can use it in the shower. I can listen to it in the basement or on the 2nd floor of the house when
it is coupled to a phone or kindle on the 1st floor.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Harmon kardon onyx has great sound...i use it in the garage and on the Patio...but it might be too big for what you need
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the Jam series.

They sound great and I can hook 2 up for a better price then just about anything.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the Bose Soundlink Mini. It's amazing how much good sound comes from such a small device.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the creative soundblaster roar.

I dont know if its the best but im happy with it. Its a heavy little brick of a speaker, sounds pretty good on the regular settings, has a bass boost type of setting but it doesnt sound as good. The battery has a good lifespan but i leave it plugged in for the most part, it also has a aux connector and a usb charging port.

It could use a better antenna, the connection range sucks a bit.
http://www.creative.com/roar/
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I have Oontze angle. Works damn good for 35 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am sure it isn't the best sound quality (audiophile use) but the Mrs. bought me one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FWMZY9S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's pretty loud with a rich bass & I like the fact that I can use it in the shower. I can listen to it in the basement or on the 2nd floor of the house when
View Quote

Nephews and nieces have these and love them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

What this guy says.
I posted this same request about 6 months ago and got zero input so I said f it and bought the oontz, I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a couple of the UE Minibooms.  You can pair them to use two together.  Good sound, they work well on a small patio.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the JBL speaker tube that also has a speakerphone on it. It was about $100 and I love it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

We have been really happy with the Bose Soundlink Mini bluetooth speaker.

It might not be the loudest speaker out there, but the quality has been kick ass.  The downside is that it runs about twice what a comparable size speaker does from
View Quote

other companies.  I figure that is partly due to the name, but you can't ignore how well it works.
Yup it is quite amazing the sound you get out of such a small package, even decent bass notes. I've been asked about it more then I can remember when people hear it while tailgating beach etc.
They sell a protective cover for it as well.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Not cheap but beats the hell out of a 'whole home system' and is virtually the same thing.  Plus, you can take it with you when you move.  If he's looking for a small ultra portable this isn't it, but if he wants a home entertainment type thing, in a small package, this may be a good option.  This is 'compact' compared to speaker systems I've seen in other folks' houses.

This is what you'll need to get started, plus the free SONOS app.

You can add Play3 or Play 5 speakers over time and link them into your existing system.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Haha we've got one in our shower too.  Works really well
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the UE round.   They sound good and are pretty loud.   Plus you can link them together.    They're the only ones i've found that I can fit into the cup holders of my UTV's and still hear while driving them at speed.

$200 a piece but we traded the old IPhones in at verizon and only had to pay a couple bucks a piece for them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Taggage
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Jabra soulmate.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a couple of these.

Probably not the best sound quality compared to the high end models but very durable and weather resistant, good for outdoors or in the shop...

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
I've got one of these also, probably the best value in a compact. It works great, and has killer battery life.

If you're looking for something bigger, the Logitech UE boombox is amazing. About 160 bucks, and enough sound for a party.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Another vote for the Bose Soundlink Mini. It's amazing how much good sound comes from such a small device.
View Quote

Bose is where its at.  Little expensive sometimes but well worth it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I like my Jambox and use it on my desk every day.  My model is currently discontinued and on sale on Amazon: Discontinued Jambox

For working in the yard or parties, I use the Ion Block Rocker, it can charge your phone / device, comes with suitcase wheels and handle to pull it.  Battery lasts for days: Ion Block Rocker
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks like everyone covered the home/portable units. Wasn't sure if you meant for in-car use (i.e. speakerphone) but if you are, Jabra Freeway is incredible. I own 2 of them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I've got a JBL Flip 2 and it sounds great.
My son has a generic bluetooth speaker he got from Amazon, and it sounds great too.
I don't think you can go too wrong no matter which unit you pick.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#25]
IMO the best sounding do all is Soundblaster Roar. You will not regret it and it does more than any of the previous mentioned. Amazon has the reviews and best prices. Love mine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#26]
So glad noone said BEATS Pill .. those things are trying to run on just a name they sound like shit..
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#27]
boombotix
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Harmon kardon onyx has great sound...i use it in the garage and on the Patio...but it might be too big for what you need
View Quote

Love my Onyx, the sound is amazing and battery life is pretty good too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top