Quoted:
numbers say peyton is better than brady in everything except sack yardage
View Quote

And championships.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:23:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He is the ultimate QB. No doubt about that.

Think about the physical skills that Vince Young had and then loo at Peyton Manning and then look at who is the greatest. It is amazing how cerebral the position is.

It was however hilarious how they were playing keep away with the ball and how he looked like a freshman trying to get the ball from a bunch of seniors.

View Quote

That man has the athletic ability of Frankenstein's monster. On the rare occasion when there is a hole big enough for him to run, you can see the only decision he makes slowly. "There is a very large gap, what should I do? Throw the ball! No, um what else. Oh yeah run. I shall now begin running. Left foot! Right foot! Left foot! Right foot! Left foot! Right foot! There's a defender 15 yards aways. slide thingy!"
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:26:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just don't like the manning boys.  They'll throw a pick then bitch and moan and blame it on anyone else.  Instead of just taking it like a man.  Not so much anymore, but I just cant stand watching either of em.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
congrats Peyton! He pays respect to those that came before him, that's admirable...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:09:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
name 1 qb that could go from team to team, use COMPLETELY different offenses, and win at the same rate.  

its retarded to try and move a goal post in such a way that is simply intellectually dishonest.  you create an offensive system that promotes your qb's strengths and minimizes his weaknesses.  anyone with sense knows that.

View Quote

You don't really pay attention to the games do you? If you did, you would notice Manning made the Broncos change the offense to EXACTLY what he ran in Indy. It's an incredibly simple offense that's easy to learn and very effective when executed properly.

Dude is a HOFer but he's a 1 trick pony too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
numbers say peyton is better than brady in everything except int%
View Quote

And playoff wins, playoff TDs, and SB wins.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

TB is possibly the most overrated QB of all time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many rings does Terry Bradshaw have?

Its a team game.

Overrated by who ?
I have never heard Bradshaw mentioned in a conversation about the greatest quarterback of all time other than to mention his four superbowl rings; which was never an attempt to call him the greatest of all time. Those teams certainly are some of the greatest of all time however.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Haters going to hate
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Not sure about greatest QB ever.  I'd argue the greatest by the book QB ever.  He melts when his team goes to crap and he has to deviate from the script.  

Farve is still the king of making cookies from crap.  I think Montana was the best of both QB worlds and holds the title of all time greatest QB.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Still doesn't have the win percentage of Brady.

Class act, great guy. He deserves more rings.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#11]
So... since rings are what really matter, is Charles Haley the best football player ever?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yup pretty darn cool. Especially because he's still at the top of the game.
View Quote

And is doing it on two different teams at 38 years old. Most great QBs tailed-off more than a bit when they changed teams toward what would be considered the sun-set of their careers after a major injury.

P. Manning is special and his like will be rarely seen again....if ever.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And championships.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
numbers say peyton is better than brady in everything except sack yardage

And championships.

And head to head game wins.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#14]
To the haters.....if Peyton wins the SB this year, will that change your mind at all?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So... since rings are what really matter, is Charles Haley the best football player ever?
View Quote

rings are what matter when you get to the guys qualified to be in the conversation.  Trent Dilfer isn't in the conversation.  Brady Manning Montana Aikman Elway Marino Bradshaw are in the conversation.  The rings matter there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
To the haters.....if Peyton wins the SB this year, will that change your mind at all?
View Quote

It certainly won't hurt his argument.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I suppose it would be nice to see him catch up to his goofy younger brother
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Manning is ultimate proof of the old saying, "Defense wins championships"
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a team game.

I used to be a big Bradshaw fan.  But I smartened up.  I thought it through a little and with the players around him, he should have won five or six Superbowls.  He screwed up the 1977 season by throwing a key interception in the Denver playoff game and that was a year the Steelers should have won another Superbowl.  He also messed up against the Raiders in 1973--that was another playoff game down the drain.

When you have the kind of supporting cast that Bradshaw had, how can a quarterback go wrong?  Bradshaw also has no class.  He did not attend Chuck Noll's funeral
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Found this somewhere:

Playoff records: Peyton Manning 9 wins in 20 games...Joe Flacco 9 wins in 13 games.

Edit: Manning's career playoff record is now 11 wins in 23 games; he's now 1-2 in Super Bowls.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quarterbacks are supposed to generate offense. Score points, throw touchdowns, lead an offense,  manage a game and defeat defenses.  No one has ever done this at a more efficient level. Period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I give him credit for longevity, and coming back from that injury. He was always a tough competitor, accurate passer...definite HOF QB.

But no way in hell is he the best QB ever.

Quarterbacks are supposed to generate offense. Score points, throw touchdowns, lead an offense,  manage a game and defeat defenses.  No one has ever done this at a more efficient level. Period.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

He has his "ring card" punched. How many he ends-up with by the time he retires does not really mean anything at all except to those that only look to bring a great QB down.

Joe Montana retired at 38.....P. Manning is still going strong.

Brett Farve retired at 43 and Manning has already surpassed the records Farve set that really matter.

You can tell a lot by what his main playing peer has to say about him.

"To me, he's the greatest of all time. He's a friend of mine, and someone that I always watch and admire, because he always wants to improve, he always wants to get better, and he doesn't settle for anything less than the best. So, when you watch the best and you're able to learn from the best, hopefully that helps me get better."

—Tom Brady, on Peyton Manning

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I give him credit for longevity, and coming back from that injury. He was always a tough competitor, accurate passer...definite HOF QB.

But no way in hell is he the best QB ever.

Exactly.

Unless it's the postseason.  Then he's not even the best at the dinner table at a family gathering. (I kid I kid, Eli is not in the conversation)
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That man has the athletic ability of Frankenstein's monster. On the rare occasion when there is a hole big enough for him to run, you can see the only decision he makes slowly. "There is a very large gap, what should I do? Throw the ball! No, um what else. Oh yeah run. I shall now begin running. Left foot! Right foot! Left foot! Right foot! Left foot! Right foot! There's a defender 15 yards aways. slide thingy!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think about the physical skills that Vince Young had and then loo at Peyton Manning and then look at who is the greatest. It is amazing how cerebral the position is.

It was however hilarious how they were playing keep away with the ball and how he looked like a freshman trying to get the ball from a bunch of seniors.

I like watching manning play, and this was hilarious!

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ironically of course is that manning probably has a faster 40 time then 99% of the posters in this thread.

I have never run for a touchdown in the NFL.

Manning has.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Archie Manning could run.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ironically of course is that manning probably has a faster 40 time then 99% of the posters in this thread.

Manning has.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Manning has.

So yes, Manning is better than all of us obviously at QB but Michael Vick has run for a lot of TDs too
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will move him up with in the top five of all time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Its a team game.
View Quote

And back then they didn't have the "hands-off" defenses they have now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#30]
As a Pats fan, I sports hate the hell out of Peyton Manning.  Incredible QB through, and seems to be a real class act.  Can't NOT have respect for him, in my opinion.  He has consistently had better weapons than Brady though, if that matters (outside of 07).  Still deserves all the credit, great player.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You don't really pay attention to the games do you? If you did, you would notice Manning made the Broncos change the offense to EXACTLY what he ran in Indy. It's an incredibly simple offense that's easy to learn and very effective when executed properly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
name 1 qb that could go from team to team, use COMPLETELY different offenses, and win at the same rate.  

its retarded to try and move a goal post in such a way that is simply intellectually dishonest.  you create an offensive system that promotes your qb's strengths and minimizes his weaknesses.  anyone with sense knows that.

Should Denver have kept the offense they were using in the prior season and had Manning run(LITERALLY) that ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, if he's not there already.  I'm sure if you got 100 fans, players, coaches, commentators in a room, there would be little consensus on #1, but 95 out of 100 would have about the same 5 or 6 in consideration.  I'm happy with our guy just being in the mix
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Just from a pure "capability" standpoint...if you're picking a team of all-time all stars and don't have Peyton Manning as your starting QB you're doing it wrong.

He's probably the best offensive coordinator in NFL history.... and he plays QB very, very well at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just from a pure "capability" standpoint...if you're picking a team of all-time all stars and don't have Peyton Manning as your starting QB you're doing it wrong.

He's probably the best offensive coordinator in NFL history.... and he plays QB very, very well at the same time.
View Quote

Well if I actually want to win the game I'll go with Brady
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Archie Manning could run.
View Quote

Sure could.  Remember though, he was playing for the Saints way back then and you had to run to stay alive.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Should Denver have kept the offense they were using in the prior season and had Manning run(LITERALLY) that ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you even read the post I'm responding too? The part where it says "name 1 qb that could go from team to team, use COMPLETELY different offenses, and win at the same rate." ?

Now do you see why I pointed out it's not a different offense? The reading comprehension is becoming common core level here
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Did you even read the post I'm responding too? The part where it says "name 1 qb that could go from team to team, use COMPLETELY different offenses, and win at the same rate." ?

Now do you see why I pointed out it's not a different offense? The reading comprehension is becoming common core level here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are playing word games and it does not invalidate what Cypher15 posted
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Omaha!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Rings don't necessarily make you great.
View Quote

The game is not played to set personal records.

Superbowl rings are the only reason to play the game, and Superbowl rings make you great.

Joe Montana, the best!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
He's the best to ever play the quarterback position.
View Quote

Yes he is. And from all accounts he is a pretty classy dude.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Superbowl rings are the only reason to play the game, and Superbowl rings make you great.

Joe Montana, the best!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Rings don't necessarily make you great.

Joe Montana, the best!

So good, San Fran cut him.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Agreed, he IS the best QB ever.  Not a Colts or Broncos fan here but have to give the man his due.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Dang more haters out there than I would have guessed
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#46]
No QB in history has been better at reading and identifying the weaknesses in the defense, making adjustments to exploit them, and delivering the package.

It isn't even close.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
509 !
View Quote

Meh Farve has 114 more INTs
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Peyton's accuracy and ability to read the defense on the field are unparalleled.   Say what you want about his Super Bowl win count but don't forget it's a team game before holding that against him.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#49]
That family sure has some football genes.

haha, news is he scripted the 'keep away' gag.

talk about compulsive and not leaving anything to chance.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've lost me...so I'll just say again Manning is a one trick pony just like Brady. It got them both to the HOF though so good for them.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top