Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
There was a K43 at my local Cabela's Gun Library. I wish I had snapped a pic of it. Someone had the original laminated stock inlaid with a bunch of stereotypical "deer in the woods" scenes. The quality of the inlay was pretty good, but the stock was totally ruined. Best part? Cabela's still wanted nearly $2k or some other ridiculous amount for it.

My friend's dad also received two WWII-era P38s from his deceased BIL. He said that his BIL shot them all the time, and apparently never cleaned them. Both had sewer pipe rusty barrels filled with carbon residue. I carefully stripped and cleaned both of them for him, but the barrels were thoroughly trashed.

I could never find import marks on either of the P38s, and he didn't know the history of them, but I would assume they were bring backs of some sort.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm gonna have to go with the tacticool mosin. It's just.. awful. So awful.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/GMCMA/Other%20stuff/-000tacmos.jpg
View Quote

That's horrible, and I'm no mosin purist
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#3]

I forgot about this one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Saw someone blow their brains out with a revolver...  That was kinda sucky.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Friend of mine had a 1911 with documentation that it was at the Battle of the Bulge.  He had it nickel plated and often cleaned it by spraying it full of WD-40 and letting it drain in the sink.

Was all I could do not to rip it out of his hand and pistol whip him with it every time I saw the thing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That actually got my heart rate up. Just...damn.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, when my fucked up, piece of shit uncle destroyed all of my great-grandfathers war mementos/guns...

Link, if you can stomach it...

That actually got my heart rate up. Just...damn.
I literally get a headache every time he mentions that thread.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I almost bubba'ed a gun once. Here is my story:

Bought a colt 1911a1 for $275 back in the early 90s. It was in such great condition me and the seller thought it was one of the last produced when the military switched to the m9 in 85 (i know, i know, keep reading).  So i love this gun, right, but the sights are pretty vestigal.  So i call Novaks, since i was in WV and so is Novaks, and want to find out about cutting the slide and putting one of their famous lo pro sights on.  

So i call and a guy named Wayne answers.  I tell him what i got and he askes if i know how old the gun is.  I told we think from the 80s.
He told me the last 1911a1s for .mil were produced in the 40s and that he would do the work, but that i should call Colt and find out the age first.

Yeah, like this guy knows what he is talking about.

Anyway, i call Colt and they mail me a packet (still have it) and it shows the gun from 1944!
Guy i know now says it is worth close to 2k and the half parked magazine goes for a c note.

Thanks Wayne for not letting screw up the Colt!

That is my CSB.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Took an Anschutz model 54 to have barrel shortened to 18" from 24" and when I picked it up the guy said his lathe was broken so he did it with a hack saw and crowned it with a dremel tool.  Ruined the gun completely and was never able to get him to replace barrel.  He didn't even get a straight cut before he tried to crown it.    This happened 20 years ago and it still pisses me off.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Took an Anschutz model 54 to have barrel shortened to 18" from 24" and when I picked it up the guy said his lathe was broken so he did it with a hack saw and crowned it with a dremel tool.  Ruined the gun completely and was never able to get him to replace barrel.  He didn't even get a straight cut before he tried to crown it.    This happened 20 years ago and it still pisses me off.
View Quote

Any other gunsmith can fix it in no time....he was an idiot but he didn't ruin shit.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I cut two pristine Winchester M14 select-fire receivers in 3 pieces with a cut off wheel and parted out the rest of the guns into a cardboard box.
Govt agency overloaded with antiquated Arms. Did not want shipped back to storage facility. Destroy locally = less paperwork.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Worst story I think I ever heard about the Captain was a full crate of NIB BAR's, such early production that had the Colt "Royal Blue" finish instead of parkerization.

I'm new here so I don't really know all that much, but who is the Captain? and why does he destroy amazing guns???
Google Webcache of "Historical Genocide at Anniston"

Excerpt:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Worst story I think I ever heard about the Captain was a full crate of NIB BAR's, such early production that had the Colt "Royal Blue" finish instead of parkerization.

I'm new here so I don't really know all that much, but who is the Captain? and why does he destroy amazing guns???
Google Webcache of "Historical Genocide at Anniston"

Excerpt:

The demil process kicked into high gear after the August 1993 start-up. In a March 1994 interview, spokesman Larry Wilson said that "Captain Crunch" had ground up 307,000 firearms at a cost of a little more than $1,000,000.

Wilson gave a break-down of the guns destroyed as of March 1994 as follows: .45 caliber automatic pistols (110,000), M-14 rifles (50,000), M1 carbines (45,000), M1903A3 drill rifles (40,000), M1 Garands (30,000), M3 .45 "grease guns" (20,000), M1903 Springfields (6,000), and M12 .22 caliber target rifles (6,000). Wilson calculated it had cost $3.52 to destroy each weapon and the Material Command was destroying 3,000 guns per day.

I really really wish I didn't click your link
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Fuuuuuuuuuck

A surprisingly high number of Mk Vs seem to be sporterized.  Took me a while to find a good one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have cut up a lot of receivers.
View Quote

Bad production lots or .mil demils?
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top