No, we never got that half breed......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blue Duck

No, we never got that half breed......

I met an old woman who taught me how to fly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Only if you can get a poke!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT

(Literally: The grape is a grape variety of living.)
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#4]
VERY GOOD SHOW
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's Deadwood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you don't like Lonesome Dove---you are a commie heathen cocksucker

That's Deadwood.

ISWYDT.

And laughed my ass off.  Well done.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is another one of those shows that someone's opinion of it would help shape my opinion of them.

I did a thread on this topic a while back after one of the dads in the troop professed his disdain for Jeremiah Johnson.

Someone who doesn't like LD, I probably wouldn't care to hang out with because our world view and common interests are likely very far apart.
View Quote

Jerimian Johnson was a scoundrel, no matter now noble the movie made him out to be, and you wouldn't want him at your dinner table.
Nor the actor who portrayed him,for that matter.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote

I haven't seen it yet.  I have it in my "to watch" pile of DVD's.  Maybe I'll pop it in tonight.  I love Westerns.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Robert Duvall is the lead actor. You don't need any more reason to watch it.
View Quote
Exactly , and teemed up with Tommy Lee Jones , its a great combo

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Latin phrase that appears on the Hat Creek Cattle Company sign in “Lonesome Dove” is a garbled corruption, and there’s no direct translation. It derives from the scholia to Juvenal 2.81 which cites the proverb “uva uvam videndo varia fit” This means something like “a grape changes color [i.e., ripens] when it sees [another] grape.”

Novelist Larry McMurtry probably intentionally misused the Latin, perhaps to make a point about Augustus McCrae’s tenuous understanding of the language.

From there, any number of interpretations have arisen to explain why McMurtry chose to communicate that particular idea. Probably the soundest theory is that the phrase serves as a metaphor for the group’s journey, as many of the story’s characters go through a process of personal maturation and development. Much like grapes ripen in the presence of others.

Copy pasted explanation. I'm sure Gus trying to sound fancy fucked up his Lattin.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yes, buts its a sad movie.

The Prequil with Karl Urban and Steve Zahn is pretty good as well. They nail Jones and Duvall's mannerisms  perfectly.
View Quote
I enjoyed it as well and yeah , the two pretty much nailed them down

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I usually put the DVD on once a week at bed time. I need background noise to sleep and so yeah I watch it a lot.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm stuck on the couch sick and I've never seen it.  

View Quote

Read the book first!  Then watch the series. The book is fantastic  and better before you see someone else's rendition.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:11:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Read the book first!  Then watch the series. The book is fantastic  and better before you see someone else's rendition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm stuck on the couch sick and I've never seen it.  

I have re-read favorite books before, but LD was the first book I restarted immediately after finishing it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Jerimian Johnson was a scoundrel, no matter now noble the movie made him out to be, and you wouldn't want him at your dinner table.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is another one of those shows that someone's opinion of it would help shape my opinion of them.

I did a thread on this topic a while back after one of the dads in the troop professed his disdain for Jeremiah Johnson.

Someone who doesn't like LD, I probably wouldn't care to hang out with because our world view and common interests are likely very far apart.

I know a little about John Jeremiah "Liver Eatin' Johnston.

You're correct, more or less.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

"Well the first man comes along that can read Latin is welcome to rob us, far as I'm concerned. I'd like a chance t' shoot at a educated man once in my life."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Latin phrase that appears on the Hat Creek Cattle Company sign in “Lonesome Dove” is a garbled corruption, and there’s no direct translation. It derives from the scholia to Juvenal 2.81 which cites the proverb “uva uvam videndo varia fit” This means something like “a grape changes color [i.e., ripens] when it sees [another] grape.”

Novelist Larry McMurtry probably intentionally misused the Latin, perhaps to make a point about Augustus McCrae’s tenuous understanding of the language.

From there, any number of interpretations have arisen to explain why McMurtry chose to communicate that particular idea. Probably the soundest theory is that the phrase serves as a metaphor for the group’s journey, as many of the story’s characters go through a process of personal maturation and development. Much like grapes ripen in the presence of others.

Copy pasted explanation. I'm sure Gus trying to sound fancy fucked up his Lattin.

"Well the first man comes along that can read Latin is welcome to rob us, far as I'm concerned. I'd like a chance t' shoot at a educated man once in my life."

That was priceless.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Never seen it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Never seen it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#20]
If you have never seen it (and liked it), there is a better than average chance you are a commie heathen.

Its good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never seen it.

http://i.imgur.com/xkhFHrN.gif

Meh.  I was 11 when it came on TV.  I can't even remember the last time I even thought about it until I saw this thread.  Is it on Netflix?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Since it is one of the best movies ever made, the answer would be "Yes".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never seen it.

Meh.  I was 11 when it came on TV.  I can't even remember the last time I even thought about it until I saw this thread.  Is it on Netflix?

Since it is one of the best movies ever made, the answer would be "Yes".

Beejus! we are 4 pages in and OP doesn't have enough proof yet?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never seen it.

Just checked. Yes it is on NF.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

McMurtry hates cowboys and people in general (see Terms of Endearment, Brokeback Mountain and Hud).  I think Lonesome Dove transcended what he intended.  He hated the 2nd miniseries so much the first thing he did when he took up the series again was kill off Newt with Hellbitch.  Streets of Laredo and Dead Man's Walk should have both been awesome but were hard to watch.  Comanche Moon was ok.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I miss Gussie
View Quote

Named my Lab after him.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top