Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/19/2014 2:38:45 AM EDT
We attended the Memphis Air Show Saturday at Millington a performed Navel Air Station. We arrived a little late and missed several of the modern aerobatic planes but caught one. What a good pilot can do with these extremely light and highly powerful planes is amazing.

We also saw one performer in a Super Cub type plane climb to 6000 ft and cut power and performed all manner of aerobatic manurers as a glider. When he was nearing the end of his performance. They called attention to a man on the tarmac near the taxi way saying he was the mayor of Millington. The plane lined up and landed still without power and rolled up to the mayor and stopped. The mayor was able to reach out and touch the spinner on the on the front of the prop.

It's been years & years since I have been to an air show and never saw the Blue Angels and they were absolutely spectacular. Seeing them on TV does not give you the since of the persuasion involved in the maneuvers they perform. The solo team coming in from miles out, closing on each other at 800 knots to do a "Knife edge pass, or one inverted or the diamond formation do a outside roll with 18" between wing tips. Once the announcer had you focused on the Diamond only to have the solos do a low level pass by. Instead of it being down the flight line. This time it was across. You might have seen the one in front right before it passed over head at about 200' but you defiantly didn't the other was coming from behind. Talk about startling!!

I am not a pilot except that I have soloed a few times when I was about 20, but my father was a Ag Pilot (crop duster). He had his own business so I grew up woking as a loader from 7th grade till my early 20's. So I know a little about plans, not a lot, but enough to recommend you put the ANGELS on your bucket list.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:41:20 AM EDT
[#1]
WTF is a "Blue Angle"?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:41:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Mes has
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:42:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I was 8 years old, attending the El Toro Air Show.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:42:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw them back in 2002. Great show.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:45:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Seen them and the TBirds several times in the past. Not in several years though, We have an airshow in this area every year and they used to alternate having one or the other here. Not sure how it works anymore though as it has been a long time since I have gone.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I was able to see them when they flew F4s. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:04:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Far better then the thunderbirds IMHO.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:14:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Onlee doin practis flyts.

Was purty neet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:15:50 AM EDT
[#9]

I have.

L
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:15:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

My Dad tells me he took me to an F4 show, but I was just a baby.

Most of the time I've seen them, they were in A4s.
Been years since I've been to a show.

It makes me sad they don't do the Fat Albert JATO demo anymore.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:17:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to see them as often as possible at the air show at Selfridge ANGB, but then I missed it several years in a row. I finally made it to the Selfridge air show again a couple weekends ago. Here's the only picture I managed to get :
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:18:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm originally from Pensacola, the home of the Blue Angels. Their flight path used to be over my house. It never got old watching them simply come in to land or see one of there tuesday/thursday practice shows at NAS. I even got to present the colors at one of their homecoming shows. If you want to see a good show, go to their homecoming show in November in Pensacola.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:19:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh man, I live right next to an airport that they used to come to. My house growing up was DIRECTLY under the path of the one that snuck up on the crowd. Always good fun for days beforehand doing practice runs.

"jDRexler, coulD you grab the va...ROOOOOOOAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:19:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

saw them at the same location.  There was a plane that crashed during a loop that day.  Not a Blue Angel but single engine prop plane
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:21:05 AM EDT
[#15]
saw them fly in 1990, SF Bay/Fleet week, wow long time ago.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:25:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Many times

Lake Washington in the 1960s first I think.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:26:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:33:31 AM EDT
[#18]
WTF is a "Blue Angle"?
View Quote

Sorry I failed spelling. I think I got it right in the body of the post. and spell check doesn't help you when you the word you miss spelled is a real word also,

Another performer that flew a hang glider and the routine included a cub type that was picking ribbons off the glider was confined to a wheel chair. After he landed a helicopter brought out his chair and he rolled of the field. Got to love guys who over come.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:42:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sorry I failed spelling. I think I got it right in the body of the post. and spell check doesn't help you when you the word you miss spelled is a real word also,

Another performer that flew a hang glider and the routine included a cub type that was picking ribbons off the glider was confined to a wheel chair. After he landed a helicopter brought out his chair and he rolled of the field. Got to love guys who over come.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
WTF is a "Blue Angle"?

No problem OP, was just busting your chops.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:44:14 AM EDT
[#20]
When I was a kid growing up near Moffett you'd get to see them for about a week before a show practicing over the bay area. Was pretty cool. Last time I saw them was at Fleet Week a couple years back, still gives me a boner.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:51:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Seen them and the TBirds several times in the past. Not in several years though, We have an airshow in this area every year and they used to alternate having one or the other here. Not sure how it works anymore though as it has been a long time since I have gone.
View Quote

Quad City Air Show?? Been a couple years for me, too. Good show.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:09:18 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I was fortunate enough to be sitting on the fantail of the USCG 87' wpb acting as the center point of the Blue Angles the year after this was filmed. Like having seats on the logo on the 50 yard line of the Superbowl. Jet wash would blow water up on deck. Fucking amazing
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:15:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to do all the wiring for the Quad City Air Show. The best show the Angels do is practice before the show. No crowd clearance issues, flew a little lower and faster. Good times wiring that show.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:24:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

saw them at the same location.  There was a plane that crashed during a loop that day.  Not a Blue Angel but single engine prop plane
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was at that same show.  I wasas only about 8 or 9 at the time.  I have seen the Blue Angels at El Toro several times, always a fantastic show.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:16:55 AM EDT
[#25]
We have had "morale events" at work where they'd rent a party boat on Lake Washington with food and an open bar to watch them practice during the week before the Seafair hydro races.

The roar of the engine and the accuracy of their maneuvers is really awesome. Given the terrain, one of the planes would always circle around behind you when you watched the rest of them, and do a highspeed low altitude  flyover about 100'.

Although my lesser imbibed (foreign) coworkers didn't seem to enjoy it - or my rendition of "Out into the danger zone" - as much as the rest of us. 'Murica!
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:19:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I have both in a couple air shows and practice for a couple weeks in Pensecola,FL

Phenomenal pilots

ETA: I am kind of biased as it is better in real life missions or live ord bombing runs in a drop zone. Plus watching them take off from a carrier adds to the experience.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:47:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
WTF is a "Blue Angle"?

View Quote

Are you talking about Nicholas Angel from Hot Fuzz?

I have seen them a lot when growing up.  The best one was flying over my hometown for fly practice on my birthday.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#28]
First time I saw them they were flying F-11's

Went to A-4's F-4's and now the 18's.  

Hope I'm around when they transition to the T-2D trackers.

First T-bird show was F-100's.

Our country was great once.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I had my own private Blue Angels air show when they did their practice show the day before - I was TAD to the fuel pits and watched from the center of the field on top of a fuel truck.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Late 90's i was in front of the crowd providing "crowd control" at then NAS Norfolk  for one of their shows. Fat Albert did the JATO take off then flew around for a bit, on the low level high speed pass one of the JATO packs fell off and bounced down the middle of the air strip...you could almost hear some sorry airman going "fuuuuuuuuck, going to go pack my bags...."  

Chris

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/VHOvoO-6nWQ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/VHOvoO-6nWQ

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#31]
I've seen them almost every year starting in 1968.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I attended 15 years in a row at the USNA graduation back when I still live in MD. My favorite was going out on the boat below the flight line.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, they put on a great show in Traverse City, MI during the Cherry Festival.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This at the Offut open houses.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I think the last I saw them would have been back in the late '80s or early '90s. I would have been about 7-10 years old.

I was just telling my wife the other day that I would love to take our son to one of the big air shows next year. He's finally getting out of the train phase and into fighter jets.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was 20-22 years old and stationed at El-Toro. Saw them 3 times.  Worked it one year, the one where the plane crashed into the base chapel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#38]
I have seen the Angels and the Thunderbirds. It's been many years ago.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was working crowd control that time. It killed the pilot and a Navy Corpsman that begged a ride. The engine failed shortly after takeoff.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#40]
I lived in Tampa close to MacDill AFB and currently live in Jax near the Naval Air Station.

I get to see Blue Angels or Thunderbirds fly over my house every air show.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

WTF is a "Blue Angle"?

View Quote
its the angle of the blue waffle

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#42]
1991 intro for george h. bush (the best bush)
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I saw them back 40 years ago in Dallas, NAStation
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#44]
I got to see them and the Thunderbirds fairly frequently years back while living on Air Force bases.  It is interesting seeing the Blue Angels doing a show at an Air Force base air show.  

While I only seen the Blue Angels as the F-18 I did get to see the Thunderbirds as the T-38 and the F-16.  Both teams put on a great show.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't know if it's true, but I read that when performing in close formations, the wing pilots never look at anything but the leader's aircraft.  They know the routine, and the lead pilot calls out each upcoming maneuver.

The other pilots keep their aircraft visually referenced to the lead plane, and trust the lead to keep the entire formation flying right. In essence, the lead plane flies all the other planes.

I've seen both the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds a few times.  Pretty awesome stuff.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I don't know if it's true, but I read that when performing in close formations, the wing pilots never look at anything but the leader's aircraft.  They know the routine, and the lead pilot calls out each upcoming maneuver.

The other pilots keep their aircraft visually referenced to the lead plane, and trust the lead to keep the entire formation flying right. In essence, the lead plane flies all the other planes.

I've seen both the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds a few times.  Pretty awesome stuff.
View Quote

I am sure it is true. The Thunderbirds all crashed into the ground many years ago, I assume all following the lead plane.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#47]

I used to Live In Pensacola, It was great to go over the the N.A.S. to watch them practice. The best though was one day fishing out in the Bay the blues did a few maneuvers right over the top of our boat. Absolutely amazing!! It was like our own private show, and they were blasting by LOW!!!!
I highly recommend anyone who hasn't been there , Take a Vacation to P-Cola, Go out to the N.A.S. and see the Blues and the museum of Naval Aviation. you wont be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#48]
I saw them once back when they were flying A-4s and 2 times since they started flying the F/A-18. I love the show they put on every time I see them. I agree that they are better than the Thunderbirds!
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#49]
I've seen them several times.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#50]
I was too young to remember them but I'm going to see the Thunderbirds at Nellis in a few weeks!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top