Quoted:

Wow.    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

History buffs: did the SS actually do that to kids who refused to fight?
They did that to entire Wermacht uniots who stopped fighting or refused to carry out their brutal orders. I have pics from my grandfather of entire Wermacht units that were slaughtered. He said in one pic all the Wermacht were run over with a train.  
Wow.    

I will try to dig up the pics.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yeah - slow turret speed on the Tiger was one of its weaknesses. I recall reading a quote from a U.S. WWII tanker that was something to the effect of "you had time to bounce 3 or 4 shots off a Tiger's armor before it could crank that turret around and blow you to hell".
View Quote
Yeah one of those little details that War Thunder gets right. Makes for some exciting matches.

The detail that was missed  was the fact that the white phosphorous rounds they used were effective against Tigers. The gas would choke out the crew and force them to abandon it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Spoiler dude??

Quoted:
Liked it even if the wrong dude lived
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]
1.  It's entertainment and not a documentary.

2.  War is a mix of 95 percent boredom and 5 percent terror.....a famous quote.

3.  Unlike BoB, SPR, and The Pacific, Fury is not a tribute to the American WWII fighting man.  It is a buddy movie.

4.  I've known more than a few WWII vets who would tell you that everything that happened in the movie they either saw themselves or heard about.  Doesn't mean it actually happened.  Our minds do things to make sense of senseless events even if that means creating realities in our heads.

5.  Known more than a few WWII vets who went off to war as nice, young guys and returned with PTSD and a drinking problem.  

6.  For every guy at the front, there were 6 backing him up....rear echelon.

7.  The guys who died in last stand actions never did get to tell their stories.  

8.  The purpose of the special effects was to impart the terror, noise, confusion, and training.  I think it worked.

9.  There were dirtbags in the US Army as it was full of draftees.  We executed GIs during WWII for various crimes against civilians or fratricide.

10.  It's a movie.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I thought it was a very good movie and wife thought it was boring. So what did everyone else who has seen it think of it? I totally get the comments about it being too unbelievable and especially near the end when Brad is on the 50cal but I still thought it was an interesting look into WWII battle from the perspective of a regular soldier.
View Quote

Hows that particular part unbelievable?

Audie Murphy's MOH citation

I.
MEDAL OF HONOR. - By direction of the President, under the provisions
of the act of Congress approved 9 July 1918 (WD Bul. 43, 1918), a Medal
of Honor for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life
above and beyond the call of duty was awarded by the War Department in
the name of Congress to the following-named officer:

Second Lieutenant Audie L. Murphy, 01692509, 15th
Infantry, Army of the United States, on 26 January 1945, near Holtzwihr,
France, commanded Company B, which was attacked by six tanks and waves
of infantry. Lieutenant Murphy ordered his men to withdraw to a prepared
position in a woods while he remained forward at his command post and
continued to give fire directions to the artillery by telephone. Behind
him to his right one of our tank destroyers received a direct hit and
began to burn. It's crew withdrew to the woods. Lieutenant Murphy
continued to direct artillery fire which killed large numbers of the
advancing enemy infantry. With the enemy tanks abreast of his position,
Lieutenant Murphy climbed on the burning tank destroyer which was in
danger of blowing up any instant and employed its .50 caliber machine
gun against the enemy. He was alone and exposed to the German fire from
three sides, but his deadly fire killed dozens of Germans and caused
their infantry attack to waver. the enemy tanks, losing infantry
support, began to fall back. For an hour the Germans tried every
available weapon to eliminated Lieutenant Murphy, but he continued to
hold his position and wiped out a squad which was trying to creep up
unnoticed on his right flank. Germans reached as close as 10 yards only
to be mowed down by his fire. He received a leg wound but ignored it and
continued the single-handed fight until his ammunition was exhausted.

He then made his way to his company, refused medical attention, and
organized the company in a counterattack which forced the Germans to
withdraw. His directing of artillery fire wiped out many of the enemy;
he personally killed or wounded about 50. Lieutenant Murphy's
indomitable courage and his refusal to give an inch of ground saved his
company from possible encirclement and destruction and enabled it to
hold the woods which had been the enemy's objective.

BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF WAR:

OFFICIAL:

I think the movie was damn near copying his actions.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had to sit through 20 minutes of previews before the movie started.

The film kind of reminded me of GI Combat comic books.

Maybe it's because the guys go through a whole bunch of different scenarios in a really short time span.
View Quote

A childhood friend went to see it and that is exactly what he said......I'm going tonight.

I loved me some Haunted Tank when I was a kid.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, I am no fan and hardly recognized him. I liked the movie except for one part very near the end involving an SS soldier committing a very non typical act especially considering what had just occurred. Other than that, I enjoyed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know if I can watch that one. Shia Lefruit seems to ruin the movies he is in.

He did a very good job in Fury actually.

Yeah, I am no fan and hardly recognized him. I liked the movie except for one part very near the end involving an SS soldier committing a very non typical act especially considering what had just occurred. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

I didn't think it was too crazy to think that an SS soldier might have actually respected how hard the crew fought, and allowed the newbie to live. There are examples in history where a vanquished foe is given respect due to a valiant defense. Even within the SS it seems there were varied levels of fanaticism, so it didn't seem completely immplausible to me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I didn't think it was too crazy to think that an SS soldier might have actually respected how hard the crew fought, and allowed the newbie to live. There are examples in history where a vanquished foe is given respect due to a valiant defense. Even within the SS it seems there were varied levels of fanaticism, so it didn't seem completely immplausible to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know if I can watch that one. Shia Lefruit seems to ruin the movies he is in.

He did a very good job in Fury actually.

Yep there are other examples of enimies allowing each other to live out of respect.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw it last night.....Excellent!

Now I have a sudden urge for a bunny fur lined  fallschirmjager smock like the Captain (Jason Isaacs) was wearing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:55:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Great movie!   131 Tiger stold the show for me...  I don't understand the hate for Shia Lebouf in this particular move.  I think he did the finest acting of anyone in the movie.
View Quote

Well one thing is for sure, Lebouf has pretty much been type cast as a brutish asshole.

The best casting by far was Michael Peña as the Mexican driver. I did not think it would work but he turned-out to be the best cast character in the movie by a mile.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think you're missing the point I made. The Tiger had traversed it's turret left to fire at the third M4... at the ranges in the movie, it couldn't have turned it's turret around fast enough to get onto Fury in the first place. Go to 17:00 in this video, a Tiger crew member says full turret rotation was 1.5 to 2 minutes powered, and 3 to 5 minutes by hand. That sucker turned slowly.

http://youtu.be/Bj0AzL95Weg

I do think they compressed the range a bit for the visual effect... but still, if the Shermans got wide enough, close enough, at least one or two could have closed distance and done some damage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The logs stopping the 88 round at basically knife fighting range was less believable than the SS unit being chopped up by the Sherman at the crossroads.

At that range, it should have gone through the other side.

Don't get started on angled hits etc., it was point blank range, 88 vs Sherman side armor and logs.  No, no, no.

I think you're missing the point I made. The Tiger had traversed it's turret left to fire at the third M4... at the ranges in the movie, it couldn't have turned it's turret around fast enough to get onto Fury in the first place. Go to 17:00 in this video, a Tiger crew member says full turret rotation was 1.5 to 2 minutes powered, and 3 to 5 minutes by hand. That sucker turned slowly.

I do think they compressed the range a bit for the visual effect... but still, if the Shermans got wide enough, close enough, at least one or two could have closed distance and done some damage.

That's assuming that the veteran tank commander would have come out of his hull down ambush position to charge across the field at the 4 Shermans... which he would not have.

/edit to add:

The young SS soldier leaving the kid to live...  it was 1945.  That German was probably conscripted and was sick of killing.  He probably was trying to decide whether he wanted to shoot the American in cold blood or not, when his sergeant yelled at him to get back in formation.  That made up his mind and he walked away.
It happened, and it'll happen again.  "Let someone else kill the guy"
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Apparently he only ruined it for the cast and crew. He's a definite nut case. After reading the below, the constant same dirty spot on his right cheek made sense.

From IMDB: Shia LaBeouf reportedly pulled out his own tooth and refused to shower during filming, angering the cast and crew.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not this one. He redeemed himself with this movie

Apparently he only ruined it for the cast and crew. He's a definite nut case. After reading the below, the constant same dirty spot on his right cheek made sense.

From IMDB: Shia LaBeouf reportedly pulled out his own tooth and refused to shower during filming, angering the cast and crew.

Some would call that dedication to the character. I'm not saying he's not a nut case or anything but there have been instances where actors do this. For instance, Jim Carey did something like this when he did the role of Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Some would call that dedication to the character. I'm not saying he's not a nut case or anything but there have been instances where actors do this. For instance, Jim Carey did something like this when he did the role of Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"In Stalingrad I learned that natural body oils mixed with dirt will make you waterproof"  - Kruger

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I saw it last night.....Excellent!

Now I have a sudden urge for a bunny fur lined  fallschirmjager smock like the Captain (Jason Isaacs) was wearing.
View Quote

i now want a m1917 revolver
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Finally got to see the movie today...left the wife at home (she didn't want to see it) and took Son #2 instead.

VERY intense movie, warts and all.

Hooray for Tiger 131 being in a movie! FINALLY a real Tiger on the big screen even if it wasn't on long enough.

I WILL be getting this on disk, it's a keeper.

I kept trying to look off-screen, to spot the Krauts. Son #2 is all, "What are you doing, Dad?"
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Didn't some Army 1stSgt receive the MOH doing just that?

I thought the execution of the POW was shit.  Almost gratuitous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was very believable, as far as the .50 there's precedent of it happening in real life...

Fury is basically a lot of individual instances of what could happen over the course of 3-4 years of war in  large group condenced and consolidated to one crew and 2 hours.

I knew a WW2 vet that told me that he and his whole sqad would execute captured Germans. I believed him.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:34:38 AM EDT
[#18]
One of my favorite action clips from WWII that I cannot find at the moment is of a seasoned German soldier firing a panzerfaust into a building, turning nonchalantly, and tossing the remains away, all in slow mo.  That cat was cool.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I saw Fury tonight and I thought it was a great film! The action scenes were about three levels higher than is typical for most WWII films. I was especially impressed by the magnificent explosions when they detonated the ammo racks on the AT guns in the wood line. The fight with the Leopard tank was also very dynamic and it gave you a taste of what it would feel like to be on the leading edge of a WWII tank battle.

The main battle at the end seems just slightly over-the-top, odds wise, but it was sufficiently plausible for a piece of fiction/entertainment. I could watch Nazi heads meet .50 BMG/7.62mm all day long.

It was good to finally see Shia not entirely ruin an otherwise excellent film. I have to admit that I almost decided not to watch the film just because I heard he was in it. Maybe he'll keep trying to do it this way from now on..

I'll definitely be buying it on DVD and I recommend watching to anyone who likes action movies, or who just really hates Nazis.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:15:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's assuming that the veteran tank commander would have come out of his hull down ambush position to charge across the field at the 4 Shermans... which he would not have.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The logs stopping the 88 round at basically knife fighting range was less believable than the SS unit being chopped up by the Sherman at the crossroads.

At that range, it should have gone through the other side.

Don't get started on angled hits etc., it was point blank range, 88 vs Sherman side armor and logs.  No, no, no.

Well, they popped smoke on him, he had to come forward or leave his view obstructed. If he did that, the Shermans could have fled and reported his position. He kinda had to try to destroy them.

I think the ranges were compressed a little... you hear the Tiger tank commander saying "600 meters" or something... but the Shermans appeared to be within 100. If they were as close as they appeared in the movie, that Tiger was fucked. Going solo against 4 Shermans, I think the result was likely pretty close to what would have happened IRL.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:18:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think a lot of people saw LeBouf play spastic goofballs in a few movies, so they think he IS a spastic goofball and that he can only play spastic goofball characters.

He did pretty good in that one last year (or so) about the moonshiners, and I think he did a good job in Fury.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:23:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

snip

I think a lot of people saw LeBouf play spastic goofballs in a few movies, so they think he IS a spastic goofball and that he can only play spastic goofball characters.

He did pretty good in that one last year (or so) about the moonshiners, and I think he did a good job in Fury.

View Quote
I agree with you, with some subtle differences.

He played a lot of spastic goofballs, and he is a FUCKING NUT JOB in real life.

In movies like the moon shine one, he did well because he played the part of a try hard loser whiny bitch.  It wasn't a stretch.

In this movie, I think what we're seeing is he matured a bit as an actor.  I think a LOT of that had to do with working with Pitt, who apparently brooked no shit from him, and straight up drug his ass behind the buildings at some point in film making after he got tired of LeBouf acting like a spastic goofball.

Maybe this will be a turning point in his career where he settles down, and starts really maturing as an actor.  Clearly he can do a good job.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:30:46 AM EDT
[#23]
one soldier is mobile, can hide ect. A tank with a mobility kill, in middle of crossroads is target.

Quoted:

You're overthinking it.  Its a work of fiction.  But, a couple of points: its well documented that in April 1945 there wasn't much operable armor remaining for Germany.  The war was nearly over.  Also, there are many accounts throughout the war of one soldier or marine single handedly taking out dozens of attackers.  In this movie it happens to be a badass tank crew doing it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In reality those SS boys would have fucked that Sherman up in 15 minutes tops. lol

And they screwed up by having every 5th or 6th SS guy carrying a Panzerfaust on his shoulder while they were marching, but then they opened up a couple of cases of them and said "these are all we have..." Using MG42s against the Sherman was kinda stupid too.

In reality they would have sent in a few troopers to recon the crossroad and they would have dealt with the Sherman without exposing the whole damned company.

And, as you know, the SS were heavily mechanized, so there would more than likely been a few more vehicles than one 1/2-track.

The scene where they approached the tree line and fought it out with those guns was really amazing.

Over all I like it but there's no way in hell that tank would have survived more than 15 minutes. And there wouldn't have been that many SS loses against a single immobilized Sherman.

You're overthinking it.  Its a work of fiction.  But, a couple of points: its well documented that in April 1945 there wasn't much operable armor remaining for Germany.  The war was nearly over.  Also, there are many accounts throughout the war of one soldier or marine single handedly taking out dozens of attackers.  In this movie it happens to be a badass tank crew doing it.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:33:08 AM EDT
[#24]
this maybe true at the beginning of the war; however by the end they had ammo that could punch through a panther tank.

Quoted:
To me it was a harsh reminder that the US has not always enjoyed superiority in equipment in every aspect.  That we forced men into inferior tanks is appalling and I pray as a nation we never allow our men and women to go to war with inferior equipment.  The tank battle against ONE Tiger Tank really pissed me off, because I know that guys died like that taking them on.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:38:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

one soldier is mobile, can hide ect. A tank with a mobility kill, in middle of crossroads is target.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're aware that there are multiple accounts of Soldiers using MG's from mobility killed tanks/ TD's to fight overwhelming enemy forces right?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:39:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I enjoyed it with several friends (some former tankers). Very well done. The action is brutal and very realistic. 5 stars.
View Quote

Like how realistic are we talking? I want to see it, but I have trouble with realistic violence sometimes (amputations to be exact).
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:41:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Like how realistic are we talking? I want to see it, but I have trouble with realistic violence sometimes (amputations to be exact).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I enjoyed it with several friends (some former tankers). Very well done. The action is brutal and very realistic. 5 stars.

Not to spoil it, but when the noob gets into the bow gunner's position... part of the previous crew member's face was on the floor of the tank. There are some gibbs in places... lots of blood. One TC takes a shell to the torso and pretty much explodes.

It's not too gory, but there is blood and people getting fucked the hell up.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:45:10 AM EDT
[#28]
4 pages???  where the fucking wife pics?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:46:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Shitty acting combined with a typical hollywood action movie, it was entertaining though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:49:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

MQ covered it pretty good.  The gory parts are graphic, but not long or drawn out, more like *zing* SHOCK! scene moves on cause every ones gotta work.  Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want more details on scenes or clues of what's coming up to void or the severity.

I'll put it you you this way, I give all my buddies heads up that were in that it's pretty legit.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:01:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
MQ covered it pretty good.  The gory parts are graphic, but not long or drawn out, more like *zing* SHOCK! scene moves on cause every ones gotta work.  Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want more details on scenes or clues of what's coming up to void or the severity.

I'll put it you you this way, I give all my buddies heads up that were in that it's pretty legit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you guys answered my question. I'll give it a go.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:27:57 AM EDT
[#32]
the battle space in which the movie fight happened was very small. In a field with 30 knocked out tanks, the remains of infantry and artillery support; it could be possible for one dude on tank could last long enough......Audie Murphy... but that is part of very large battle space where confusion is the norm. A single tank in a crossroads is target.

Quoted:
You're aware that there are multiple accounts of Soldiers using MG's from mobility killed tanks/ TD's to fight overwhelming enemy forces right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:39:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

the battle space in which the movie fight happened was very small. In a field with 30 knocked out tanks, the remains of infantry and artillery support; it could be possible for one dude on tank could last long enough......Audie Murphy... but that is part of very large battle space where confusion is the norm. A single tank in a crossroads is target.
View Quote
If only there was  way for them to have used deception to lure them closer with a false sense of security...  Then killed as many as possible knowing they would die but doing what they could to lessen the effects that would happen down the road...

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Shitty acting combined with a typical hollywood action movie, it was entertaining though.
View Quote

"Fury" was anything but typical.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

What was shitty about the acting?

Please name me a movie that, in your mind, has "good" acting?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Underwhelmed.

Felt like Apocalypse Now Redux meets cliche 50's war movie.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I knew a WW2 vet that told me that he and his whole sqad would execute captured Germans. I believed him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was very believable, as far as the .50 there's precedent of it happening in real life...

Fury is basically a lot of individual instances of what could happen over the course of 3-4 years of war in  large group condenced and consolidated to one crew and 2 hours.

That scene was generally backwards from real life.

There have been some books written about this practice.  One by Gerard Linderman is one of the best.  The US troops had an unwritten policy that if they were on the attack and you resisted to the last minute and then threw your hands up, you were probably going to get shot.  Some units didn't capture snipers, either.

The Germans had an attitude that if a US soldier was captured with German soldiers on his body, he had probably killed a German prisoner and stolen the loot.  Germans had a tendency to execute US prisoners that were found with German souvenirs.  Generally US troops didn't really see it that way, and that scene would have been more appropriate if it was a captured American.

The Jeremy Isaacs character, for example, would have been in big trouble if he was captured wearing that German coat. That sort of thing.

A far as the final gunfight, the idea that the German unit was marching admin style singing cadences in a column of threes made me think they were green troops who had never seen combat.  I was reminded of Lyle Bouck's recon platoon at Lanzerath in the Battle of the Bulge.  You can google it.  There is a tactical way to approach march and those Germans weren't doing it. So it was entirely possible, but not that common.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top