Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Now Coon-Ass couldn't die soon enough, or horribly enough for my liking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know if I can watch that one. Shia Lefruit seems to ruin the movies he is in.

I really liked his work in this movie.

I soooo wanted to hate him, but I too felt he acted well.

As rotten and unpleasant as he could be, the scene with him and Norman in the aid station caused me to re-evaluate him.  You begin to realize that he wasn't always this way, that like the others he has learned to cope with what he's seen in his own way, and it has turned him into the asshole we see.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had to sit through 20 minutes of previews before the movie started.

The film kind of reminded me of GI Combat comic books.

Maybe it's because the guys go through a whole bunch of different scenarios in a really short time span.
View Quote

My take as well. Watched it with my grown son today. We both enjoyed it. Saw it in a "RPX" theater which is similar to imax.

The accuracy of the weapons, equipment, and vehicles was astounding. I wish the Tiger had more screen time but the tank battle was intense nonetheless.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw it last night and absolutely loved it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It was very believable, as far as the .50 there's precedent of it happening in real life...

Fury is basically a lot of individual instances of what could happen over the course of 3-4 years of war in  large group condenced and consolidated to one crew and 2 hours.
View Quote

Didn't some Army 1stSgt receive the MOH doing just that?

I thought the execution of the POW was shit.  Almost gratuitous.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
History buffs: did the SS actually do that to kids who refused to fight?

Yes

Not just them, the Gestapo and regular Army Feldgendarmerie, did the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was very believable, as far as the .50 there's precedent of it happening in real life...

Fury is basically a lot of individual instances of what could happen over the course of 3-4 years of war in  large group condenced and consolidated to one crew and 2 hours.

I felt that the struggle went on too long, and that in reality someone would have intervened, the POW would have started running, or Wardaddy would have given up.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Given Pitt's age, could Wardaddy have been Tristan from Legends of the Fall?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As rotten and unpleasant as he could be, the scene with him and Norman in the aid station caused me to re-evaluate him.  You begin to realize that he wasn't always this way, that like the others he has learned to cope with what he's seen in his own way, and it has turned him into the asshole we see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know if I can watch that one. Shia Lefruit seems to ruin the movies he is in.

I really liked his work in this movie.

I soooo wanted to hate him, but I too felt he acted well.

He reminded me of "Snafu" from The Pacific, but even more dickish and unlikeable.

Our military would really have to be desparate to empty out the booby hatch and let someone so unstable go to war.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Maybe it's because the guys go through a whole bunch of different scenarios in a really short time span.
View Quote

" />
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Overall the movie does a good job of showing how it sucked being in a Sherman when they went up against German armor.  I knew an old Sgt. that was a TC from d-day+2 to Germany.  He said they never went looking for heavy or medium German armor- that was what reverse gear and the air corps were for.  It also showed the outright hatred many GI's had to Waffen-SS.  I remember him saying that they were no Waffen-SS prisoners that he took, and if was German Army, it better be 5 or more.  I wish it had done a better job of showing the effect of Panzerfausts and Panzerschrecks at that stage of the war.  George said that by the time they got into Germany, the biggest fear was not Tigers and Panthers, but the 14 year old hiding behind a wall or fence with a Panzerfausts He said he lost quite a few buddies that way.  He was a neat old guy and I miss his stories.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL Would have been a whole different movie!
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well... He DID like stabbing people. No scalps, though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's pretty pretty damned good in it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I was surprised. He really does disappear into that character. I may not like him as a person but he did a fantastic job acting here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought that whole scene was ridiculous. I understand why they did it for the story but it was utter bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My take as well. Watched it with my grown son today. We both enjoyed it. Saw it in a "RPX" theater which is similar to imax.

The accuracy of the weapons, equipment, and vehicles was astounding. I wish the Tiger had more screen time but the tank battle was intense nonetheless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In reality those SS boys would have fucked that Sherman up in 15 minutes tops. lol

And they screwed up by having every 5th or 6th SS guy carrying a Panzerfaust on his shoulder while they were marching, but then they opened up a couple of cases of them and said "these are all we have..." Using MG42s against the Sherman was kinda stupid too.

In reality they would have sent in a few troopers to recon the crossroad and they would have dealt with the Sherman without exposing the whole damned company.

And, as you know, the SS were heavily mechanized, so there would more than likely been a few more vehicles than one 1/2-track.

The scene where they approached the tree line and fought it out with those guns was really amazing.

Over all I like it but there's no way in hell that tank would have survived more than 15 minutes. And there wouldn't have been that many SS loses against a single immobilized Sherman.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

In reality those SS boys would have fucked that Sherman up in 15 minutes tops. lol

And they screwed up by having every 5th or 6th SS guy carrying a Panzerfaust on his shoulder while they were marching, but then they opened up a couple of cases of them and said "these are all we have..." Using MG42s against the Sherman was kinda stupid too.

In reality they would have sent in a few troopers to recon the crossroad and they would have dealt with the Sherman without exposing the whole damned company.

And, as you know, the SS were heavily mechanized, so there would more than likely been a few more vehicles than one 1/2-track.

The scene where they approached the tree line and fought it out with those guns was really amazing.

Over all I like it but there's no way in hell that tank would have survived more than 15 minutes. And there wouldn't have been that many SS loses against a single immobilized Sherman.
View Quote

You're overthinking it.  Its a work of fiction.  But, a couple of points: its well documented that in April 1945 there wasn't much operable armor remaining for Germany.  The war was nearly over.  Also, there are many accounts throughout the war of one soldier or marine single handedly taking out dozens of attackers.  In this movie it happens to be a badass tank crew doing it.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#18]
The tank shell or at gun shells whizzing by had me ducking out of the way incredible sound. I wish the tiger had more screen time and at least one moreover tank on tank battle .
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#19]
They did a really good job with the sound and image of tank shells that would miss or ricochet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
He reminded me of "Snafu" from The Pacific, but even more dickish and unlikeable.

Our military would really have to be desparate to empty out the booby hatch and let someone so unstable go to war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

That dude was like a ton of Marines I served with even before 9/11

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.

Right. Why not just walk up behind it where there's no guns?  I get that the turret can rotate, but it's not like it was spinning in a circle the whole time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, can't stand that guy...sure don't want to give him or Brad any of my money.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Right. Why not just walk up behind it where there's no guns?  I get that the turret can rotate, but it's not like it was spinning in a circle the whole time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.

Ditto. You're talking about crack troops, at least a few of whom would surely have been hardened veterans. Granted Waffen-SS standards had dropped at that point in the war, but still. That lone Sherman wouldn't have lasted long immobilized and out in the open like that against them.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:09:20 AM EDT
[#25]
There's every reason to hit the tank with MG fire.

A It keeps them buttoned up to cut down SA.

2 IRL if would fuck up the view ports and periscopes further reducing SA.

It's still a tactic practiced today.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Overall I liked it. Not too sure about the war crimes though...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:20:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Just got back from seeing it with the wife.

Really ought to have gone by myself.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:23:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not quite how it was demonstrated in the movie.

I totally get that it's a fictionalized account, but it was still irritating.

ETA - And considering the effective range of an MG42 they could have, and would have, set up a firing position 500-1,000 meters away and been relatively safe from the limited visibility of the Sherman's MG gunners... If there's one thing that Germans had mastered by the end of WWII it was how to fuck shit up with MG crews. Their entire infantry doctrine was based around MGs doing the heavy lifting.

I like the movie but that kinda stuff just bothers me. IMHO Saving Private Ryan was much more believable in this regard.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:48:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Was it a bad thing that I was the only one who chuckled when the bored, drunk soldiers blew up the piano? Because that's what they'll do. And it was quiet enough I was the only one I heard. Not a lol moment but worthy of a snort.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Realistically,  they should've used a conscript unit of old men and teenagers in the last battle,  but that would be too much for people.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:32:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

not this one. He redeemed himself with this movie
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Saw it yesterday & liked it.

Agree with the scene about opening the case of panzerfausts & "this is all we have." Also, why not have all the MG ammo IN the tank instead of drinking beforehand?

I liked it simply because it was a tank movie. Now, if we could only have a movie re-creation of the Battle of Kursk....................    
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

He doesn't always play some blabber mouth blubbering fool. He didn't ruin Fury.

I think like a few have said, it compressed the character development of the noob. Some things I thought were not as good as they could have been...

The first battle with the AT gun, the tracers looked like Star Wars blaster bolts. It looked a little on the hokey side, but was still gripping. I did like the first person view of the gun firing.

Against the Tiger, I was on the edge of my seat. I knew that 4 Shermans against a Tiger could prevail, but 3 of the Shermans would likely be lost. You could see the one burly heavyset TC was almost crying... he knew he was fucked. The problem I had was that they compressed the range a bit... and that the Tiger targeted the M4 (with the short 75mm gun) instead of the Easy 8 with the better 76mm gun, which was a greater threat. It was pretty well known that if the kraut tankers could see a greater threat (like a Sherman Firefly for instance), they would try to take it out first.

Next, when Fury got around the Tiger's right flank, after its turret had traversed left, it wouldn't have been able to get its gun around fast enough. It was one weak point of the Tiger... very slow turret traverse... but it did convey the terror and the need for tank crews to wear brown pants.

It was also cool that the Tiger in the movie... was a REAL Tiger tank. That was a cool factor to it. Overall, it's part was pretty small.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently he only ruined it for the cast and crew. He's a definite nut case. After reading the below, the constant same dirty spot on his right cheek made sense.

From IMDB: Shia LaBeouf reportedly pulled out his own tooth and refused to shower during filming, angering the cast and crew.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#35]
The logs stopping the 88 round at basically knife fighting range was less believable than the SS unit being chopped up by the Sherman at the crossroads.

At that range, it should have gone through the other side.

Don't get started on angled hits etc., it was point blank range, 88 vs Sherman side armor and logs.  No, no, no.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just got back from seeing it with the wife.

Really ought to have gone by myself.
View Quote

Not sure what you mean by that, but it was definitely a little too intense for my wife.

She was pretty upset that we didn't see "Gone Girl" instead.

Myself....I can't wait to see it again.

Also really looking forward to "Unbroken" coming out soon.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#37]
To me it was a harsh reminder that the US has not always enjoyed superiority in equipment in every aspect.  That we forced men into inferior tanks is appalling and I pray as a nation we never allow our men and women to go to war with inferior equipment.  The tank battle against ONE Tiger Tank really pissed me off, because I know that guys died like that taking them on.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The logs stopping the 88 round at basically knife fighting range was less believable than the SS unit being chopped up by the Sherman at the crossroads.

Don't get started on angled hits etc., it was point blank range, 88 vs Sherman side armor and logs.  No, no, no.
View Quote

But then the movie would have ended
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
To me it was a harsh reminder that the US has not always enjoyed superiority in equipment in every aspect.  That we forced men into inferior tanks is appalling and I pray as a nation we never allow our men and women to go to war with inferior equipment.  The tank battle against ONE Tiger Tank really pissed me off, because I know that guys died like that taking them on.
View Quote

At the time the tactic for taking out a Tiger was to attack it with 4-5 Shermans with the expectation that only one or two would survive the fight. The plan was to overwhelm the Germans with more material, not better material.

That's not the way we do it any more.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, but.  Realism.

Don't get me started on the Tiger crew bailing out on a mobility kill when their turret and gun still worked...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think you're missing the point I made. The Tiger had traversed it's turret left to fire at the third M4... at the ranges in the movie, it couldn't have turned it's turret around fast enough to get onto Fury in the first place. Go to 17:00 in this video, a Tiger crew member says full turret rotation was 1.5 to 2 minutes powered, and 3 to 5 minutes by hand. That sucker turned slowly.

I do think they compressed the range a bit for the visual effect... but still, if the Shermans got wide enough, close enough, at least one or two could have closed distance and done some damage.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Yeah - slow turret speed on the Tiger was one of its weaknesses. I recall reading a quote from a U.S. WWII tanker that was something to the effect of "you had time to bounce 3 or 4 shots off a Tiger's armor before it could crank that turret around and blow you to hell".
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#43]
excellent movie
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Yea, why did the 4 Shermans go straight at the Tiger??

Even I thought that was stupid.  Split up and move around the beast in a wide arc.  Attack from all sides.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
He is a good actor. He usually get typecast as a doofus, and plays them well lol, but in this he was pretty good.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
They did that to entire Wermacht units who stopped fighting or refused to carry out their brutal orders. I have pics from my grandfather of entire Wehrmacht units that were slaughtered. He said in one pic all the Wehrmacht were run over with a train.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

They did that to entire Wermacht uniots who stopped fighting or refused to carry out their brutal orders. I have pics from my grandfather of entire Wermacht units that were slaughtered. He said in one pic all the Wermacht were run over with a train.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They did that to entire Wermacht uniots who stopped fighting or refused to carry out their brutal orders. I have pics from my grandfather of entire Wermacht units that were slaughtered. He said in one pic all the Wermacht were run over with a train.  
Wow.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SFC. Paul Smith in Iraq. First MOH recipient in the war.  Guy was a medieval fighter in the SCA in my local  group.

Manned  a.50 until his unit got away. He didnt unfortunately
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Yea, why did the 4 Shermans go straight at the Tiger??

Even I thought that was stupid.  Split up and move around the beast in a wide arc.  Attack from all sides.
View Quote
Violence of action. Getting it done however imperfect the plan, is better than doing nothing, or waiting for the perfect plan, which doesn't exist in that situation.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
+ sending some 8mm rounds into the mgs would take them out.

That .50 and  .30 up top would be swiss cheese as would the barrels on the coax and asst. drivers mount

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top