Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/18/2014 6:52:07 PM EDT
HAs anyone heard of a refund check from Bank of America from an account review? I received one for SIGNIFICANT amount that could potentially pay off my current mortgage if legitimate. I called the number listed 1-800-417-7040, and the recording said it was from an account review from all US Service members that had mortgages through BofA and were not receiving the proper interest rate reduction. We refinanced about 3 years ago and am wondering if it is a scam.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Sound suspicious and they serviced my mortgage 4-5 years ago before I refinanced. (ETA-I received a few scam fishing emails regarding my mortgage while with them)

I'd say take it down to a main branch office or call BOA directly (not the number on the letter you received) to confirm.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Google search of that phone number does not match it to anything BofA.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Go down to your local branch and ask. Sounds suspicious. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a couple hundred $$. Didn't know why.
Didn't ask

This was long ago
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Cash it at your local Bank Of America.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cash it at your local Bank Of America.
View Quote

I like this idea. I will be going to a local branch on Monday and talking with a branch manager to verify legitimacy.  If good to go then goo bye current mortgage, hopefully.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Whenever I receive any type of letter or email regarding any type of financial matters I always call the numbers on my bank cards or the listed number of the institution.  Never call the numbers that come in a letter or email as they could be a scam phishing for information.

If you just refinanced your home a few years ago but have already paid enough interest that was not supposed to be paid then you must have been paying one heck of a monthly payment.  As they say, if it sounds too good to be true.......

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:15:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Whenever I receive any type of letter or email regarding any type of financial matters I always call the numbers on my bank cards or the listed number of the institution.  Never call the numbers that come in a letter or email as they could be a scam phishing for information.

If you just refinanced your home a few years ago but have already paid enough interMonday hissingot supposed to be paid then you must have been paying one heck of a monthly payment.  As they say, if it sounds too good to be true.......

View Quote

When I was deployed,  my wife paid double the monthly payment.  She always called it in and specified that the extra was to go to principal. She told me that the intrest rate was always incorrect and she had to fight with them every month to reduce it per the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act. Anyways, Im not taking the wording of the letter and number at face value. We are going into a BofA branch on Monday to speak with the branch manager to verify  validity.  If valid and green across the board we will be walking out with cold hard cash.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#9]
No one else knows anything about these account review refund checks?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump for the night crew
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I received the same thing today. I'm calling BOA 1st thing in the morning. I wasn't expecting a check at all and for this amount seems very suspicious! It says that they may not have provided me with the level of service that I deserve and they're providing me this check...smh...Then it says that there's nothing I need to do other than cash my check...I definitely think it's fake.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I received the same thing today. I'm calling BOA 1st thing in the morning. I wasn't expecting a check at all and for this amount seems very suspicious! It says that they may not have provided me with the level of service that I deserve and they're providing me this check...smh...Then it says that there's nothing I need to do other than cash my check...I definitely think it's fake.
View Quote
His first post and all I think he is in on it and a Nigerian prince.  Just sayin....

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#13]
There's no fine print on he back that says if cashed you agree to the terms and conditions of a second mortgage loan?

Knowing how BOA works (their screw ups) it's probably legit - I hope you guys found your money.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There's no fine print on he back that says if cashed you agree to the terms and conditions of a second mortgage loan?

Knowing how BOA works (their screw ups) it's probably legit - I hope you guys found your money.
View Quote

we no longer have a mortgage through BofA. We rrefinanced about 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#15]
If I remember correctly I think there was a thread in Team some time ago about a similar situation. Member had been getting fucked over by BOA for a number of years in regards to their incorrect interest rate, BOA got called out in a class action lawsuit or some such litigation and slowly was going through adjusting accounts and cutting refund checks. Some were sizable and others not so much.

BOA sucks donkey dick, wouldn't surprise me if it was legit, and they had gotten their dick smacked again and you get to profit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Well folks, just got back from BofA. I brought with me the letter and check and an old mortgage statement from our last payment to BofA before we refinanced. The rep that was assigned to help me made several calls to different departments and even calling US Bank where the check was drawn out of, the checks are verified legitimate.

Maybe the wife will let me have an M-16!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a couple checks from them after a settlement for tye way they were charging overdraft fees. I didn't know about the suite but got the money anyway and haven't been a custom in over a decade.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well folks, just got back from BofA. I brought with me the letter and check and an old mortgage statement from our last payment to BofA before we refinanced. The rep that was assigned to help me made several calls to different departments and even calling US Bank where the check was drawn out of, the checks are verified legitimate.

View Quote

Good to hear, congrats!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe that is why BOA sends me so much crap.  They get me conditioned to run the refinance letters through the shredder 4 times a month, and if they send a check...  

Sounds like you got a nice sum, OP!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Maybe that is why BOA sends me so much crap.  They get me conditioned to run the refinance letters through the shredder 4 times a month, and if they send a check...  

View Quote

It is a really nice "higish" five figure surprise! I am opening up a new savings account with my current bank and let it sit till the end of the year just in case it is a well concealed scam. I have heard of Scammers sending random checks to people based off what personal information they can find such as address and account numbers. Once you deposit the check, they then have a routing and account number then they pull everything out of the account.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is a really nice higish five figure surprise!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet!

Go buy a machine gun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what, do you have a nda with them?
why not just say what it is?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh hell, yes.  That is Class 3 money!  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I am opening up a new savings account with my current bank and let it sit till the end of the year just in case it is a well concealed scam. I have heard of Scammers sending random checks to people based off what personal information they can find such as address and account numbers. Once you deposit the check, they then have a routing and account number then they pull everything out of the account.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over 50k under 90K
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Pay off any bills it will cover or put it towards your mortgage principal.  No telling what the future will hold with the Kenyan as president.  Save a couple thousand out of it for the wife to use.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#28]
As a BAC shareholder it makes me very happy to know that at least some of the money taken by the .gov is going to the right place.
Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL
Goes from mentioning paying off mortgage in op to instead buying an M-16 with new found wealth.
That's true Arfcom style.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Over 50k under 90K
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over 50k under 90K

Your finances, they need a better watching of.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I think the mailman's here.... BRB

ETA:

Whoo hoo!! Electric bill is down $10 this month!

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

LOL
Goes from mentioning paying off mortgage in op to instead buying an M-16 with new found wealth.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

I'm just kidding about the M-16. This money is going to sit in the new savings account we just opened until January 1st. Just being extra cautious is all. Our finances are in order and other than a couple of credit cards (we owe less than $1500) we have both vehicles paid off and no other debt. We are throwing every extra penny we have into our current mortgage and we are on track to pay it off in 6.5 years.

Our only extravagant expense is bi-monthly movies at the Alamo Drafthouse, I get $250 a month "allowance" for my gun hobby. I usually ony spend $150 of that. I always bring my lunch to work consisting of leftovers. Once we pay off all the bills for the month, after we have paid at least double our mortgage payment, we zero out the checking account and roll that into the mortgage account. Current bills are easily manageable on our current income so we aren't hurting for this windfall in any way.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, the refund is from Bank of America, but the check is written off a US Bank account, interesting.

What was your rate on your B of A mortgage?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Dude, freaking congrats on that!

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm just kidding about the M-16. This money is going to sit in the new savings account we just opened until January 1st. Just being extra cautious is all. Our finances are in order and other than a couple of credit cards (we owe less than $1500) we have both vehicles paid off and no other debt. We are throwing every extra penny we have into our current mortgage and we are on track to pay it off in 6.5 years.

Our only extravagant expense is bi-monthly movies at the Alamo Drafthouse, I get $250 a month "allowance" for my gun hobby. I usually ony spend $150 of that. I always bring my lunch to work consisting of leftovers. Once we pay off all the bills for the month, after we have paid at least double our mortgage payment, we zero out the checking account and roll that into the mortgage account. Current bills are easily manageable on our current income so we aren't hurting for this windfall in any way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

You guys sound like you're in good shape financially, congratulations!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So, the refund is from Bank of America, but the check is written off a US Bank account, interesting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got really hosed on the rate 8.5% (bad credit from prior divorce) and the Soldiers Sailors Relief act was supposed to bring it down to 6% when I was deployed but they never did.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Got really hosed on the rate 8.5% (bad credit from prior divorce) and the Soldiers Sailors Relief act was supposed to bring it down to 6% when I was deployed but they never did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BOA owes you:

[b]Servicer shall: (1) refund (with interest, as calculated pursuant to 28 U.S.C. §
1961) all interest and fees charged above 6%; and (2) provide an additional
payment of $500 or triple the amount of the refund referenced in subsection (1),
whichever amount is larger.
The compensation described in subsection (1) shall
be distributed equally among all borrowers (including non-servicemember
borrowers) on the note secured by the mortgage. The compensation described in
subsection (2) shall be paid entirely to the servicemember.

http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/hce/documents/scra_boa_servicing_agreement.pdf
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, you lucky SOB.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well, you lucky SOB.
View Quote

Several thousand other service members are also due refunds from BOA and numerous other banking companies. DOJ and CFPB had a lot of suits a few years ago about this.

One of you tanks might want to post a thread in your subforum to help others check their records and get their refunds.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Right now, with the stock market down ten percent, this would be a good time to start an IRA or other retirement vehicle.  Or perhaps invest in dividend paying stocks.  If your mortgage is in the 4% range, you'd be pissing that money away by paying your mortgage off.  You can do better than 4% with it if you've got any sense.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Right now, with the stock market down ten percent, this would be a good time to start an IRA or other retirement vehicle.  Or perhaps invest in dividend paying stocks.  If your mortgage is in the 4% range, you'd be pissing that money away by paying your mortgage off.  You can do better than 4% with it if you've got any sense.
View Quote

That is actually a good idea. However this money is sitting in a savings account until January 1st just to be extra cautious. Read a few posts up for my reasons.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Over 50k under 90K
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Over 50k under 90K

87K, perhaps?

congrats

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#43]

87K, perhaps?

congrats

View Quote

Damn near!

That would have been too awesome if it was $87K
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Just wanted to update:

Check is authentic. Money is chilling in savings till the first of the year just to be extra cautious.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Good for you OP...great money management. It always makes me happy to see a family managing their finances responsibly.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just wanted to update:

Check is authentic. Money is chilling in savings till the first of the year just to be extra cautious.
View Quote

Nice.

I got an account review refund check from Lowe's.  I guess they didn't like the $0.03 I apparently overpaid on the account awhile back, so they sent me a check for $0.03.  You're damn right I deposited it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nice.

I got an account review refund check from Lowe's.  I guess they didn't like the $0.03 I apparently overpaid on the account awhile back, so they sent me a check for $0.03.  You're damn right I deposited it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just wanted to update:

Nice.

I bet you had to show two ID's and get the branch manager's approval first, am I right?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I bet you had to show two ID's and get the branch manager's approval first, am I right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just wanted to update:

Nice.

LOL thankfully no. Mobile deposit through my phone.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 3:20:55 AM EDT
[#49]
I got the same check. For a large amount too. I was deployed this year and switched my account to a military account through the SRCA department. I looked around the web and it claims to be legit. But i'm still going to the branch and ask.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 4:03:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Even if they're legit (the checks), you should demand documentation on how the amount was calculated.

I wouldn't put it past those bastards to send out lowball checks hoping that people accept them as full satisfaction.

And BoA has a history of crappy accounting so even if they aren't trying to lowball, they could easily have screwed up the math.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top