BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You either don't understand my point of view (which is fine) or you're purposely distorting what I'm saying (which is not fine).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Further....

The 5 lb Yorkie, yeah, it may get punted across the room or squashed under foot....but it might die trying to protect you or your child. That was my whole point. A cat 9 out of 10 times will run or worse....just fucking sit there while you die.

I own lots of stuff that won't jump to my rescue and try to save me. Does that mean it's all useless?

Wtf is this?

Are we talking about living creatures or...like...lamps and tables and stuff?

A lamp can effectively light a home but...um, yeah....it's pretty useless as a family protector.

So a cat can make effectively someone happy although it's pretty bad as a family protector. Does that make the cat useless?

You either don't understand my point of view (which is fine) or you're purposely distorting what I'm saying (which is not fine).

I think the guy that posted below me (darkstar) is looking at your point of view the same way I am.

Disliking an animal simply because it will not protect you, but can make you happy in day to day life is a bit absurd. So cats are not useless, they just don't fit the roll you require.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If your dislike of cats comes from the fact that a cat can't or is unwilling to protect you, then that's a great deal like the old adage, 'if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail'... if your instrument and perception is protection then by all means have a dog, but to rationalize a dislike of other animals because they don't fit your single point of view is a bit absurd, they're different tools for different jobs, in a manner of speaking... Rats in the barn?  I want cats... Visigoths at the gate?  A dog is going to be the better tool.  I don't have a dog and I do like them, I just prefer cats but it's funny how these cat threads always devolve into the two camps, some love them and others, as in this very thread, call for their extermination... some days I think ARFcom suffers from its own form of Liberal Derangement Syndrome...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Practical?  Probably not for most people, but over the years of growing up on a farm with lots of animals, including large numbers of barn cats, owning cats for years, and volunteering at local animal shelters I've come to the conclusion the only real difference between any members of the cat family is size... that Maine Coon sleeping on your bed is hardwired the same as a Lion on the Serengeti... Dogs are utilized by military and police due to their willingness to be dominated, trained and seeking the approval of their handlers, cats are individualistic minded and don't respond to the type of training in the example you're citing, but if cats were indeed similar to dogs in respect to willingness to be trained they'd have put dogs out of the military/police business years ago...

But they're not. We are talking real life....not what if's and could be's...

My statement was a dog will die for you....a cat will not...I stand by that and have seen no proof to convince me otherwise. No hypotheticals....no lab created hybrid domesticated lions and tigers and bears.

I can go to the pound right now and get a dog that will make a pretty effective family protector/burglar alarm/home invasion deterrent. I'll be looking a long time to find that in a cat.

Nobody...and I mean NOBODY, is afraid of a cat. A cat ain't stopping shit from happening to you or yours. Ever.

If you came into my house with a gun and a fucking mountain lion....my recently deceased shepherd would have been in the fight right next to me. We may have both died trying to protect ours.....that's my point. A cat would be 1. Out of there quick as can be 2. Done absolutely nothing. Bet on that.

Whatever with that "dog wants to be dominated" stuff.....that's what cat owners say to make them feel better. Dogs (often times) have a natural, hard wired desire to protect their property and families from threats. Cats are hard wired to be selfish, arrogant, pricks.

If your dislike of cats comes from the fact that a cat can't or is unwilling to protect you, then that's a great deal like the old adage, 'if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail'... if your instrument and perception is protection then by all means have a dog, but to rationalize a dislike of other animals because they don't fit your single point of view is a bit absurd, they're different tools for different jobs, in a manner of speaking... Rats in the barn?  I want cats... Visigoths at the gate?  A dog is going to be the better tool.  I don't have a dog and I do like them, I just prefer cats but it's funny how these cat threads always devolve into the two camps, some love them and others, as in this very thread, call for their extermination... some days I think ARFcom suffers from its own form of Liberal Derangement Syndrome...

No.

My dislike of cats comes from my direct relationship to EVERY SINGLE CAT I've ever encountered in my life.

A dog (to me) is a loving family pet....capable of going on long walks, playing fetch, tug of war, giving kisses, hanging out with me on the porch while I have a couple of beers, etc, etc, etc. The fact that it's ALSO capable of running off those that may want to do harm to my wife and daughter...and...be willing to die (like myself) in the process, is why I would choose a dog over a cat 100 times out of 100 and makes the choice a no brainer.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know people here will disagree, but I've never seen a cat come when its name was called.

I've never seen a cat even react when its name was called.

View Quote

Then you have been around all the wrong cats.  Ours know they names, and even if you are not calling them, when they hear us speak their names, the ears swivel in the direction of where we are at the time.

It obvious they KNOW their names.   No whether they choose to come when called.....that's probably a 50/50 proposition.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Then you have been around all the wrong cats.  Ours know they names, and even if you are not calling them, when they hear us speak their names, the ears swivel in the direction of where we are at the time.

It obvious they KNOW their names.   No whether they choose to come when called.....that's probably a 50/50 proposition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know people here will disagree, but I've never seen a cat come when its name was called.

Let me guess....

Your cats names are....

Pssspsssteve

Pssspssspenny

Psssspssscindy

Pssspsssally
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Well i can see that most of GD has never owned a Main Coon they have a lot of (dog like qualities/ personality traits)
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Well i can see that most of GD has never owned a Main Coon they have a lot of (dog like qualities/ personality traits)
View Quote
I don't think that is the issue. An article was posted about scientific research conducted by uniquely qualified professional who has dedicated his life to helping ALL animals. The research shows that cats are unfeeling, selfish, and contain parasites that alter their owners mind. Cat owners are understandably angry about this.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't think that is the issue. An article was posted about scientific research conducted by uniquely qualified professional who has dedicated his life to helping ALL animals. The research shows that cats are unfeeling, selfish, and contain parasites that alter their owners mind. Cat owners are understandably angry about this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mills research does nothing of the sort, not even according to that article.  You are twisting and distorting things.

"Owners invest a lot emotionally in the cat relationship," Mills told the BBC. "That doesn’t mean that the cat’s investing in the same sort of emotional relationship." At the time, he said the results were inconclusive, but at the very least, it's safe to say that they haven't yielded the same obvious results that the dog studies have.

Compare that to your claim.

Night and day.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My cat follows me around like a puppy dog and sleeps right next to me all night.
View Quote

Yup.  She walked into the room an hour ago babbling at me and curled up in my lap, and hasn't moved since.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The science was shitty when this shitty article was posted the first fucking shit time.
It still is.

The behavior altering parasite isn't news either. That's why pregnant women shouldn't eat cat shit... I mean, why the bitch makes him clean the box for no particular reason. An interesting parasite but not particularly dangerous.
View Quote

Another point against the article is the assertion therein that the domestic cat is an invasive species from Asia.  I'll not argue the invasive species part, but they could at least get the continent of origin right; the domestic cat is directly descended from, and can in fact interbreed with, the African wildcat.  Which is from Africa, not Asia.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just stop....this is silly.

Cite all you like but there is a reason why law enforcement and military utilize the K9 and not the feline.

Personally, I'd be more interested in hearing about all the burglaries that were thwarted and lives saved by the family cat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A dog will fucking DIE for you. A cat will not....the conversion stops right there for me.

I can cite a few instances where the vehicles and property of acquaintances of mine were burgled and their dogs never barked...despite being tied up right next to said vehicles.

Just stop....this is silly.

Cite all you like but there is a reason why law enforcement and military utilize the K9 and not the feline.

Personally, I'd be more interested in hearing about all the burglaries that were thwarted and lives saved by the family cat.

Yeah, ignore all the stories on the internet about dogs attacking or cats saving, 'cause dogs! or whatevs.

I'll just leave this here:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/hero-cat-saves-boy-vicious-031745335-cbs.html
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]
this wild arm of the devil did not repay my kindness when I removed the can

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
this wild arm of the devil did not repay my kindness when I removed the can

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/superdavarfcom/100_4909.jpg
View Quote

kitty in the can a thread killer?

arm. of. the. devil.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#13]
My boy hates everyone in the house but me.

Mojo: Destroyer of worlds.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:11:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of folks will make the claim that a cat will come when they call them by name. . . yet I've never seen it actually happen.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top