Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The discussion of incorrect powder got me curious as to actual case capacity.  I took a empty LC brass case and filled it to the rim with various powders to see what kind of charge would be possible.  

Clays :  14.2 gr
W296:    31 gr
Alliant 20/28 : 20.4 gr
CFE223:  32.8 gr
Blue Dot: 23.7 gr

Just an FYI.  IIRC my load is 23.4 gr of CFE223 (77 grain bullets). For severly compressed load you could get as much as a 40% overcharge.  I was a little surprised that CFE223 and W296 are near the same density.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
once heard about having the cartridge undercharged as a possibility of blowout. Guy said that if you have less than half the cartridge full of powder then the primer can blow across the top surface of the powder instead of igniting from the back. When this happens, he related that it all goes at once instead of in phase. Anyone?

I didnt buy his ocean front property in AZ though.
View Quote

This is possible.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I finally got the upper apart and this is the result:

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:56:25 PM EDT
[#4]
There was a frightening amount of pressure involved in that case before it went if that isn't a brass failure.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep. Something definitely went wrong.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm almost thinking the shoulder got bumped back during the loading process creating an excessive headspace condition due to ammo dimensions and not the rifle.

Length of case? Length at shoulder?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm almost thinking the shoulder got bumped back during the loading process creating an excessive headspace condition due to ammo dimensions and not the rifle.

View Quote

Well... The length now will not be the length before firing...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:14:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Any guesses as to what happened to the back of the cartridge?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Extractors are strong.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I would reuse the bbl just for laughs. After running a chamber reamer in it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:16:54 AM EDT
[#11]
The primer looks surprisingly close to normal.

On the other hand, huge brass flow into the ejector.

Case head gave way at the weakest/unsupported location (extractor).

Also, we know it fired with a locked bolt. But there's considerable swelling of the case...

Strange.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Extractors are strong.
View Quote

That one is. There are crappy extractors though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:28:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a serious over-pressure. See how the case has been extruded into the ejector hole.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:29:49 AM EDT
[#14]
The case failed while chambered, and right at the extractor.

Did you post pics of cases he fired right before the failure?  I'd be interested to see if there was extractor marks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

True, but it could give an idea as to whether the hole in the case web was a cause or a symptom.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:31:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Also, we know it fired with a locked bolt. But there's considerable swelling of the case...

Strange.
View Quote

I don't see how both of these could be true at the same time, with the case swelling in the pics.

The primer has a firing pin dent, so it doesn't look like a bolt-face-debris slamfire.

But the deformation of the case looks like it could have been a slamfire of some sort.  It seems to have fired with the cartridge not fully chambered.

Which ARs don't do.

Hmmm....

Also, the bolt lugs look pretty normal.  Nothing sheared off or otherwise damaged.

Maybe the firing pin was too long, allowing an OOB?  Just throwing that out there.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:35:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Holy Shitsnacks! that brass was flowing before it let go. My best guess is it was either pistol powder or the whole case got annealed at the factory. Its nice to know however that the AR vents the pressure out the ejection port and down through the mag, not towards the face.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:35:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Still going with OOB, unless the extension lugs were sheared.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:37:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I don't see how both of these could be true at the same time, with the case swelling in the pics.

The primer has a firing pin dent, so it doesn't look like a bolt-face-debris slamfire.

But the deformation of the case looks like it could have been a slamfire of some sort.  It seems to have fired with the cartridge not fully chambered.

Which ARs don't do.

Hmmm....

Also, the bolt lugs look pretty normal.  Nothing sheared off or otherwise damaged.

Maybe the firing pin was too long, allowing an OOB?  Just throwing that out there.

View Quote
Enter my theory. Short brass or brass with shoulder bumped back allows "wiggle room" in chamber.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:38:32 AM EDT
[#20]
1387delta-
what is this item in the red circle?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:39:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Any guesses as to what happened to the back of the cartridge?
View Quote

Massive Adrenaline Dump!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:40:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Was wondering about oob based on the degree of flow of the brass just above the case head.  It looks like a bellows.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Any chance of this stuff being reprocessed ammo fired out of a M249? I just am not buying the OOB idea.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Any chance of this stuff being reprocessed ammo fired out of a M249? I just am not buying the OOB idea.
View Quote
and?... why do people think even once fired brass out of a MG is bad?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:57:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long standing reloader myth that m249 brass belongs in a scrap bucket.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:02:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't know anything about AR kbooms then if after seeing these pics you think OOB had anything to do with this.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:07:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right next to the M249

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:11:29 AM EDT
[#28]
When sectioned, the case will look like this:

That thick belt is formed in the gap between barrel face and bolt lug face. There is a chamfer on both and as you can see, while a normal gap is small (it varies a bit), that extreme bit of pressure will do its best to separate the two. Compared to a normal case cutaway there seems to be a lot of brass that flows. The flash hole approaches the size of a normal primer. Primer and pocket expand a huge amount. Web area inside the rim probably triples its mass, and the hunk of brass that creates joinder with the extractor cut ends up looking like a nice little gold nugget.

A simple case rupture near the extractor (do those even happen?), due to a brass defect, will not force all of this brass to flow. Nor would it crack a bolt face or damage the BC. But, since we have (and nobody knows precisely why) a metric shit ton of pressure that exceeds the point where brass becomes a fluid, then your rifle blows the fuck up. It is no fault of the rifle, not an obstructed barrel, not an oob, not a case defect. You have magically achieved fusion with what little bit of powder that could be crammed into the case.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:18:58 AM EDT
[#29]
OP:

1: What does the inside of the chamber look like? Any strange geometry?
2: Do you have another bolt laying around and a headspace gauge? Won't tell us everything due to another bolt, but if the barrel itself has crazy headspace you'd find out. Hell, try it if possible with the broken bolt for giggles, if it passes we can rule out headspace. If it fails though it could be due to damage.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:21:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The M249 has a longer head space gauge than a M16. Obviously not all M249s kill brass, but use in a 249 could make a case more likely to experience case head separation upon reloading and firing it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:21:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/mfTVcMo.jpg

That thick belt is formed in the gap between barrel face and bolt lug face. There is a chamfer on both and as you can see, while a normal gap is small (it varies a bit), that extreme bit of pressure will do its best to separate the two. Compared to a normal case cutaway there seems to be a lot of brass that flows. The flash hole approaches the size of a normal primer. Primer and pocket expand a huge amount. Web area inside the rim probably triples its mass, and the hunk of brass that creates joinder with the extractor cut ends up looking like a nice little gold nugget.

A simple case rupture near the extractor (do those even happen?), due to a brass defect, will not force all of this brass to flow. Nor would it crack a bolt face or damage the BC. But, since we have (and nobody knows precisely why) a metric shit ton of pressure that exceeds the point where brass becomes a fluid, then your rifle blows the fuck up. It is no fault of the rifle, not an obstructed barrel, not an oob, not a case defect. You have magically achieved fusion with what little bit of powder that could be crammed into the case.

View Quote

Listen to this guy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:23:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/mfTVcMo.jpg

View Quote

I agree with you. I just checked a barrel on hand, there is enough unsupported case for that "belted magnum" appearance to form if there is enough pressure.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:23:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The M249 has a longer head space gauge than a M16. Obviously not all M249s kill brass, but use in a 249 could make a case more likely to experience case head separation upon reloading and firing it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The same is true for machine gun fired 7.62.  Had a ton of brass with thin webs, you could feel the thin spot.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:24:46 AM EDT
[#34]
OP... What's the rifling look like? Any "holy shit, what happened there?" oddities?

I know a squib was supposedly ruled out, but just to verify...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:30:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You don't know anything about AR kbooms then if after seeing these pics you think OOB had anything to do with this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good comment, please don't give any further explanation.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:43:19 AM EDT
[#36]
The flow of the brass into the ejector hole combined with the still dented primer leads me to believe that the firing pin was jammed with debris and protruding when the KBed round chambered.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:21:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An AR-15 is incapable of firing via the firing pin unless the bolt is locked.

Thus, it did not fire OOB.

Got a BCG laying around?

Play with the bolt/firing pin a bit. You should figure it out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:23:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The flow of the brass into the ejector hole combined with the still dented primer leads me to believe that the firing pin was jammed with debris and protruding when the KBed round chambered.
View Quote

That would not cause this.

Even if forced as far forward as possible, the firing pin cannot contact the primer until the lugs are locked. That's the way the gun works.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:38:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I finally got the upper apart and this is the result:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2j5m4jc.jpg

View Quote

That's really impressive.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:46:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Even if forced as far forward as possible, the firing pin cannot contact the primer until the lugs are locked. That's the way gun works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if forced as far forward as possible, the firing pin cannot contact the primer until the lugs are locked. That's the way gun works.

TXRifleman's right.

Just to explore that briefly and totally rule out the impossible... if there was debris in the way of the firing pin that could somehow do this - where the debris would do the strike (because the pin cannot), it wouldn't leave a conventional mark in the primer.  The dent in the primer as shown in one of the photos shows it was a regular strike to start with.  So that's totally out.

In order for debris to block the firing pin forward - like TXR85 says, that's not the way the gun works - so the gun would have to be working improperly - horribly out of spec.  The bolt would have to be too short, or the firing pin abnormally long.  But that would've hindered operation immediately or kaboomed immediately.  So that's totally out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:59:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

TXRifleman's right.

Just to explore that briefly and totally rule out the impossible... if there was debris in the way of the firing pin that could somehow do this - where the debris would do the strike (because the pin cannot), it wouldn't leave a conventional mark in the primer.  The dent in the primer as shown in one of the photos shows it was a regular strike to start with.  So that's totally out.

In order for debris to block the firing pin forward - like TXR85 says, that's not the way the gun works - so the gun would have to be working improperly - horribly out of spec.  The bolt would have to be too short, or the firing pin abnormally long.  But that would've hindered operation immediately or kaboomed immediately.  So that's totally out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TXRifleman's right.

Also the rear inner shelf of the carrier and the cam pin channel could, in theory, be altered in such a way as to allow OOB ignition. But if they were, you would know it right away, as you said.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:03:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
-

Also the rear inner shelf of the carrier and the cam pin channel could, in theory, be altered in such a way as to allow OOB ignition. But if they were, you would know it right away, as you said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
-

Yup.  And from the OP:
He has put about 250 rounds through the rifle.

Thus those impossibilities are wholly ruled out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:04:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
1387delta-
what is this item in the red circle?

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab138/le_pew/ftk5k8_b_zps4afc5135.jpg
View Quote

Looks like part of the anvil from the primer cup.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:43:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Fired out of battery.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:09:41 AM EDT
[#46]
The OOB stuff is funny.

If it was even possible it would blow the whole head off.

Massive over pressure on that round. The ejector intrusion is impressive. Two much/wrong powder.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Fired out of battery.
View Quote

Where do you people come from???
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Strange.
View Quote

This. It was a case failure, i thought for sure pistol powder but nope. Case failure.

Had it been pistol powder the primer would have blown threw. Seeing it doesnt show any signs of over pressure the only possible cause was case failure.

Scary.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This. It was a case failure, i thought for sure pistol powder but nope. Case failure.

Had it been pistol powder the primer would have blown threw. Seeing it doesnt show any signs of over pressure the only possible cause was case failure.

Scary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strange.

Scary.

No sign of over pressure?
What caused the brass flow into the ejector bore??
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top