Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is what happens when you purchase from PSA. Their manufacturing is obviously by a bunch of incompetents, it also explains the very cheap pricing...

ETA: You get what you pay for.
View Quote

please tell me this is sarcasm. If not, you're an idiot.

OP: it looks like bad ammo to me. probably an OOB or an over charged round. unless you find a bulge in the barrel. then it may of been a squib. but I find it hard to believe a squib cycled in the next round.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#2]
once heard about having the cartridge undercharged as a possibility of blowout. Guy said that if you have less than half the cartridge full of powder then the primer can blow across the top surface of the powder instead of igniting from the back. When this happens, he related that it all goes at once instead of in phase. Anyone?

I didnt buy his ocean front property in AZ though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
New theory...

Uncle Joe was doing an exorcism on that evil 'ghost gun' and it blew up.

Or crappy reload with pistol powder.  

Love the way the BSG banana'd.  Even the gas rings look a little whacked.  Hope we get more pictures tomorrow!

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Did anyone check the headspace when it was built?
View Quote

Since the barrel extensions are put on at the factory is there really any reason to check a head-space with a AR15? I mean as long as the bolt will insert and lock up isnt checking it any further kind of moot?

ETA: Last time i asked that question here i got mocked saying there was no reason. So its a serious question I am asking.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Since the barrel extensions are put on at the factory is there really any reason to check a head-space with a AR15? I mean as long as the bolt will insert and lock up isnt checking it any further kind of moot?

ETA: Last time i asked that question here i got mocked saying there was no reason. So its a serious question I am asking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Headspacing in any gun is important. Generally in ARs it is not an issue because parts are in spec. This is diffrent than saying it's not important. I have never checked Headspacing on a factory gun. Only guns I have put together or changed something on.

Headspace is the distance from the bolt face to where the shoulder of the case rests in the chamber. It is the area in which the brass can expand. So it is possible to have an extention that a bolt locks into just fine but there is still excessive headspace.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

OP: it looks like bad ammo to me. probably an OOB or an over charged round. unless you find a bulge in the barrel. then it may of been a squib. but I find it hard to believe a squib cycled in the next round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what happens when you purchase from PSA. Their manufacturing is obviously by a bunch of incompetents, it also explains the very cheap pricing...

Please explain, in detail, how the AR15 can have a Out Of Battery ignition.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Headspacing in any gun is important. Generally in ARs it is not an issue because parts are in spec. This is diffrent than saying it's not important. I have never checked Headspacing on a factory gun. Only guns I have put together or changed something on.

Headspace is the distance from the bolt face to where the shoulder of the case rests in the chamber. It is the area in which the brass can expand. So it is possible to have an extention that a bolt locks into just fine but there is still excessive headspace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true.  However, excessive headspace causes damage to brass, it does not cause k'booms like we see here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is true.  However, excessive headspace causes damage to brass, it does not cause k'booms like we see here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, I mentioned that in my first post.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A pierced primer craters the bolt face, elongates the firing pin hole and dimples the firing pin tip. the hot gases braize primer and rim fragments to the bolt face. as the next round is chambered these damaged and debris littered parts strike the primer of the round as its picked up by the bolt face, firing the primer even though the trigger wasnt even pulled. if your lucky it fully chamber first and only slamfires. if you are unlucky it does it while its OOB.

Example: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1677189_AR15_Kaboom___What_happened_here_.html&page=3#i49924359
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm going with  head space issues, if I recall correctly bad head space sometimes don't cause issues at first or even at all but when it does it's similar to what we are seeing.
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag for outcome
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#12]
What would happen if the gas key was improperly staked, or not staked and 'let go'?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What would happen if the gas key was improperly staked, or not staked and 'let go'?
View Quote

Not sure. But I wouldn't expect the bottom of the carrier to be missing.

Hopefully the OP can get everything appart so we can see it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  What would happen if the gas key was improperly staked, or not staked and 'let go'?
View Quote

Bolt wouldn't unlock @ all, or you'd get a partial extraction before the gas key wedged up under the charging handle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Possibility I haven't noticed in this thread yet is set back.  Poorly crimped reload's could allow the bullet to set back during feeding to a point where pressures get crazy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I would love for someone to explain how an excessive head space could cause damage, especially of this magnitude.

OOB ignition is a possibility but takes extra ordinary conditions to occur. Even then, the damage evident in the pics is pretty severe for just an OOB ignition.

It's hard to say exactly what caused it. I would look at the ammo first as well as a detailed description of the sequence of events immediately prior to the kaboom.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Possibility I haven't noticed in this thread yet is set back.  Poorly crimped reload's could allow the bullet to set back during feeding to a point where pressures get crazy.
View Quote

Not likely an issue with rifle propellants. My 5.56 loads are compressed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Before I did anything else I'd pull the bullets on at least 10 other cartridges and weigh and inspect the powder.  You're eventually going to pull them all anyway, or someone will.  I'm betting it's wrong powder and an overcharge.  Or less likely, wrong powder and a serious undercharge.

I wouldn't completely rule out other causes, but it sure looks like an over pressure situation to me.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for unlocking this thread..
View Quote

Wut, Wat I miss?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The rare in after the the lock.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Without knowing anything more than the pics:

Fired out of battery (a slam fire), or the case head let go.

So, what did a closer look reveal?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was some pretty epic trolling by Stripeknight....lol

(he's a huge PSA supporter, if you have never read a PSA hater thread in GD before).
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Would the barrel be bulged or split if it was a squib?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Squib or overcharged ammo.

squib lodged in barrel followed by a non-squib.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Post less, seriously...

Or log out and never log back in, that'll work too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
BS you don't know what caused this but I'll bet it is ammo related not hardware.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
AR15's by design do not need to be headspaced.

I could see headspacing If the guy took a no name barrel and no name barrel extension and wrenched them together and then put them into a upper. Would he need to GO gauge it? Probably, but the vast majority of uppers are pre-barreled and the vast vast majority of barrels have the barrel extension factory installed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AR15's by design do not need to be headspaced.

I could see headspacing If the guy took a no name barrel and no name barrel extension and wrenched them together and then put them into a upper. Would he need to GO gauge it? Probably, but the vast majority of uppers are pre-barreled and the vast vast majority of barrels have the barrel extension factory installed.

Headspace is the barrel, barrel extension and bolt all working together, if any one is out by only a couple thousandths of an inch the headspace is off. If the bolt didn't come with the barrel it absolutely needs to have the headspace checked

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I would consider that as a slam fire and not a regular OOB. you would have two rapid fires, the first round which you pulled the trigger, the second which fired up loading. the diagnosis and fix would be different.

either way, determining if it was a OOB/slam fire vs a wrong powder charge should be simple, in a OOB the primer and most of the case will be intact, a wrong powder overpressure will have blown out the primer, and probably burned away the bolt face and firing pin, it will all have brass dust over it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those claiming OOB:

An AR15 cannot fire unless the bolt is locked.

If it fired via the firing pin, and if the rifle has a cam pin, then it fired with a safely locked bolt.

If it has its cam pin and fired via the firing pin, and the bolt is unlocked after the kaboom, then the kaboom forced it to unlock after the primer was struck.

Bullshit.

You guys are seriously overlooking one KB, one that's actually happened to me years ago.

Primer  gets stuck/fused to the bolt face then as next round get pushed into the chamber the stuck/fused primer sets off the next round oob as the head space is taken up.

I would consider that as a slam fire and not a regular OOB. you would have two rapid fires, the first round which you pulled the trigger, the second which fired up loading. the diagnosis and fix would be different.

either way, determining if it was a OOB/slam fire vs a wrong powder charge should be simple, in a OOB the primer and most of the case will be intact, a wrong powder overpressure will have blown out the primer, and probably burned away the bolt face and firing pin, it will all have brass dust over it.

"Slam fire" would indicate that the bolt was locked but fired without the pull of the trigger.
WIth my example, it fired out of battery.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The simple fact is that no one knows what caused this...and never will
Guess away all you like, they'll always only be guesses, it happens.
Put a new upper on it and get on with life
View Quote

Is that how you explain airplane crashes or bridge collapses too?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

GTFO 13'er
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GTFO 13'er

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

You guys are seriously overlooking one KB, one that's actually happened to me years ago.

Primer  gets stuck/fused to the bolt face then as next round get pushed into the chamber the stuck/fused primer sets off the next round oob as the head space is taken up.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/millersho/IMG_0018.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/millersho/upper-damage.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those claiming OOB:

If it fired via the firing pin, and if the rifle has a cam pin, then it fired with a safely locked bolt.

If it has its cam pin and fired via the firing pin, and the bolt is unlocked after the kaboom, then the kaboom forced it to unlock after the primer was struck.

Bullshit.

Since you seem to be incapable of reading, I have bolded the relevant parts of my post:

Quoted:
For those claiming OOB:

In your example, the cartridge was fired via foreign debris, not the firing pin.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#33]
If it was a new barrel and a new bolt I dont think headspace was the problem. My bet is on gunshow bad ammo/reloads.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Since you seem to be incapable of reading, I have bolded the relevant parts of my post:

In your example, the cartridge was fired via foreign debris, not the firing pin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those claiming OOB:

Bullshit.

Quoted:
For those claiming OOB:

You said the gun cannot fire without the bolt being locked, I'm just pointing out that it can.
I'm not implying it's the OP's issue.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You said the gun cannot fire without the bolt being locked, I'm just pointing out that it can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those claiming OOB:

Bullshit.

Quoted:
For those claiming OOB:

Context dependent. Fire meaning by the user pulling the trigger. I wouldn't have specified the firing pin if I was not aware of foreign debris as a possible ignition source.

That said I will clarify my wording in that post.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I would pull the bullets on the sample rounds from your nephew, weigh the charges, and MEASURE THE CASE LENGTHS. I'm betting the cases were not trimmed to a uniform length. All it takes is one over-length case to pinch the bullet and cause pressures to spike.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

This...

With a very slight chance of bad headspace
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About one in 50 was my experience when I was building these things for a living...would headspace insufficiently.. And I would have to find one that Headspace's correctly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup;
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about insufficient?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What about insufficient?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about insufficient?

Insufficient headspace?

The bolt wouldn't lock into battery.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quick question, I was under the impression that setback wasn't an iisue in an AR as it is in pistol rounds. I think I got this information in the reloading section here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#44]
First off My bet is on bad ammo, probably stuffed with pistol powder.

But it could be an out of battery detonation caused by a defective bolt/carrier/cam pin, a couple of decades back there were many SOFT, (not properly hardend or incorrect material used) Bolts/carrier/cam pins around that caused problems for an unlucky few, I hope these defective parts are not showing up again!

I would look closely at the ammo first though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

and you have no fucking clue what you ate talking about.  Iirc that lower was made by Aero Precision for PSA.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Did not read all the posts if the barrel is not bulged I'm going with some pistol powder found its way in the ammo,compressed or set back  is not to big a deal in rifle ammo. A lot of loads are compressed but iv've been drinking so
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Not enough information

Premature Poll

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#48]

Not enough information

Premature Poll/Post

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Op, I have not seen it mentioned yet, but I'd leave the curiosity to the cat and have your friend pack everything up as is and send it back to PSA. Have them make it right, and have them determine what happened. I can't image that they would not take care of him.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

"Slam fire" would indicate that the bolt was locked but fired without the pull of the trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those claiming OOB:

Bullshit.

Slamfires have nothing to do with the bolt being locked, they occure when the bolt is loading the round into the chamber and something contacts the primer. Most often due to a sticking firing pin, but in your case it was caused by debris. Its not uncommon with sks's.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top