Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:32:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The rifle,is pretty much a total loss. You might be able to reuse some small parts; flash suppressor, forward assist, stock, ect.

Most likely defective ammo. It's happens pretty frequently.

At least it was only a PSA so it's cheap to replace.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:34:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably bad ammo, maybe bad headspace.

Out of Battery:  Not likely, bolt is still locked closed (edit: well... maybe not..).  To be honest, of all the AR Kabooms I've seen posted, I can't think of one that was actually due to OOB.

Bad headspace: maybe, but it's been fired 250 times so far,  Won't rule it out, but I just don't think that's it.  Bad head spacing is pretty rare in AR's.  Would want to see the brass before saying more.

Squib:  Only if the gun failed to cycle, and the kid cycled it manually.  Possible, but one would think that would have been an unusual enough event associated with this that it would have been stated.  Worth asking them about  it, but really doubt this is it.

Other barrel obstruction: Unlikely, since 4 rounds were fired without issue.  I know of a KBoom in a 1917 Enfield caused by firing after a shed jacket stuck in the barrel, while the rest of that bullet continued.  But that example involved a heavily corroded barrel coupled with an unusually light bullet which also had a very thin jacket.  That's almost certainly not the case here, and never heard of such a thing with an AR.

Over pressure round:  This one is my most likely candidate.  LC03 isn't a very common head-stamp for loaded ammo in the civilian marketplace.  Coupled with the seemingly mysterious progeny of the ammo (hopefully to be clarified), this sounds like your classic gunshow reloads - using "once fired brass",   Where "once fired" means "some range sold me a bucket of crap they found on the ground, who knows" or "military from a worn machine gun barrel".  Generally it's hard to overpressure a round bad enough to cause a Kaboom, but maybe this commercial reloader did a combination of bad powder charge and bad brass.  That's what I think happened.  Seeing detailed photos of the remaining ammo will be very telling.  Visible by looking at the remaining loaded ammo: the mild twin nicks in the neck, rim nicks, primer color, primer pocket crimp or obvious crimp removal cones are all tell-tell signs.
View Quote

LC03 isn't common? Do you even XM193?

I'm shooting up the LC 00 and LC 01 head stamped XM193 currently. Purchased for $170/1000 delivered in 2001.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:47:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm going with ammo issues... perhaps an over charged round that slipped through or a case that did not get trimmed and should have.  Without actually being there and supervising the young shooter, who knows what did or did not happen.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#4]
For those claiming OOB:

An AR15 cannot be fired by pulling the trigger unless the bolt is locked.

If it fired via the firing pin, and if the rifle has a cam pin, then it fired with a safely locked bolt.

If it has its cam pin and fired via the firing pin, and the bolt is unlocked after the kaboom, then the kaboom forced it to unlock after the primer was struck.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:03:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm going with ammo issues... perhaps an over charged round that slipped through or a case that did not get trimmed and should have.  Without actually being there and supervising the young shooter, who knows what did or did not happen.
View Quote

It's generally difficult to significantly overcharge 5.56 with most recommended powders...
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:07:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For those claiming OOB:

An AR15 cannot fire out of battery.

If it fired via the firing pin, and if the rifle has a cam pin, then it fired in battery.

If it has its cam pin and fired via the firing pin, and is OOB after the kaboom, then the kaboom forced it OOB after the primer was struck.
View Quote

An AR15 can fire out of battery if anything sets off the primer to include a burr on the bolt face, debris on the bolt face, a high primer from a bad round, ect. It's just won't be the firing pin setting it off if it's out of battery.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:13:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I too would suspect the ammo.  Don't shoot reloads unless you load them and you were sober...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:21:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

An AR15 can fire out of battery if anything sets off the primer to include a burr on the bolt face, debris on the bolt face, a high primer from a bad round, ect. It's just won't be the firing pin setting it off if it's out of battery.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For those claiming OOB:

An AR15 cannot fire out of battery.

If it fired via the firing pin, and if the rifle has a cam pin, then it fired in battery.

If it has its cam pin and fired via the firing pin, and is OOB after the kaboom, then the kaboom forced it OOB after the primer was struck.

While I agree a foreign object can initiate the primer when the bolt is reaching the point where it starts rotating and locking lugs, that is an extremely rare condition. Most every KB we've seen has indications of severe pressure, the likes of which can't be atrributed to a normal load. The kind of pressure that turns brass into jello, and the kind of pressure that cannot be reached with unlocked lugs.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:48:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:19:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Que what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did anyone check the headspace when it was built?

AR15's by design do not need to be headspaced.

I could see headspacing If the guy took a no name barrel and no name barrel extension and wrenched them together and then put them into a upper. Would he need to GO gauge it? Probably, but the vast majority of uppers are pre-barreled and the vast vast majority of barrels have the barrel extension factory installed.

Que what?

Headspace is set by the barrel extension, if memory serves. If the barrel and extension were factory-assembled and the bolt was new (and all were in-spec), it should have had no problem with headspace.
Isn't that part of the benefit to putting the locking lugs in the barrel extension rather than as part of the receiver? No need to deal with separate stresses causing headspace problems like in the M1 or M14 (and no need for different locking shoulders like the FAL)
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:23:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I could see headspacing If the guy took a no name barrel and no name barrel extension and wrenched them together and then put them into a upper. Would he need to GO gauge it? Probably, but the vast majority of uppers are pre-barreled and the vast vast majority of barrels have the barrel extension factory installed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did anyone check the headspace when it was built?

I stand behind my statement.  Hundreds of thousands of uppers are manufactured every year .  They are checked at the factory and then end up paired with  BCG's from a multitude of manufacturers.  All the hoohaa about being matched to a bolt is complete bullshit.  In a very, very, minute percentage of these cases headspace MIGHT be an issue, BUT - the rifle was designed for interchangeability of all parts without having to drag to the local armorer and see if the headspace is correct.  Quality factory assembled parts don't develop headspace problems.

Since it was a factory upper and name brand BCG, I'll state that headspace had absolutely noting to do with this failure, or 99% of any other similar failures.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#12]

In your poll you also needed -------

Reloads --- case split or case-head separation...

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#13]
That kB has "remanufactured" ammunition written all over it. It wasn't a squib, unless he mentioned manually cycling the bolt just prior to the event.

ETA:
Quoted:
This is what happens when you purchase from PSA. Their manufacturing is obviously by a bunch of incompetents, it also explains the very cheap pricing...

ETA: You get what you pay for.
View Quote

Faulty ammunition would have blown up one of my Colts or my KAC just as easily as this PSA.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:20:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Was the lower OK aside from the bolt release?

And yea, check the ammo. If it was supposed to be XM, it'll be dirty from the factory with primer crimp.
View Quote
Yep.

Once time at  gun show I bought some that said they were factory ammo.

Took them home, opened the pack and noticed it was reloads.

For shits and grins I tried to cycle them and they wouldn't even chamber in my AR!

So I went back to the gun show the next day and the guy actually gave me my money back (probably so I didn't make a scene).

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I would like to see some of the other spent cases, if the primers wre pushed up I would assume a head space issue, however uncommon it is possible due to stacking tollerances.

That being said this is most likely a wrong powder reload. Little bit of pistol powder mixed in.. really does seem to be the most common error in catastrophic kabooms.

I dont belive a oob to be possible in a ar15 because the firing pin isnt long enough to strike the primer till the bolt has closed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#18]
In for the update and cause of the kB.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#19]
personal attacks
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Personal attack removed and warning issued.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for unlocking this thread..
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Would the barrel be bulged or split if it was a squib?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Squib or overcharged ammo.

Would the barrel be bulged or split if it was a squib?

The first round would be a squib, the second round behind it caused the KB.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is what happens when you purchase from PSA. Their manufacturing is obviously by a bunch of incompetents, it also explains the very cheap pricing...

View Quote

About one of the dumber things posted here, and just a very poor attempt at trolling.

The OP's pic was more than likely wrong powder in a case. Would be interesting to see the primer of the fired case to see if the primer sealant was still there. If so, it was a factory loaded case, if not, probably a reload.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm going with  head space issues, if I recall correctly bad head space sometimes don't cause issues at first or even at all but when it does it's similar to what we are seeing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#25]

I'm going to go with 'out of battery'. With the information provided, nothing else makes any sense.

I'd also look at the source of the ammo. Lake City doesn't change types of powder on their lines, so if indeed it was a hot load, I doubt it was a
Lake City factory load.    

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's generally difficult to significantly overcharge 5.56 with most recommended powders...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.

Of course, it could be the wrong type of powder.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks for unlocking this thread..
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Anyone know if a squib can cycle the gun if it passed the gas port?
View Quote

No.  But if someone clears the empty case and doesn't check the bbl, bad things can happen.  

I use a heavy crimp on my personal reloads.  I recently had a round with no powder in it.  The bullet stayed in the case with only the primer firing.  I would guess that if there was no crimp that it might have moved a very short distance down the barrel, perhaps just enough for the next round to seat.  

I bet what happened here was either an round charged with the wrong powder (pistol powder) or there was a squib load followed by a regular load.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, it was almost as good as a Cult. , Sorry couldn't help myself.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
For those claiming OOB:

An AR15 cannot fire unless the bolt is locked.

If it fired via the firing pin, and if the rifle has a cam pin, then it fired with a safely locked bolt.

If it has its cam pin and fired via the firing pin, and the bolt is unlocked after the kaboom, then the kaboom forced it to unlock after the primer was struck.
View Quote

Bullshit.

You guys are seriously overlooking one KB, one that's actually happened to me years ago.

Primer  gets stuck/fused to the bolt face then as next round get pushed into the chamber the stuck/fused primer sets off the next round oob as the head space is taken up.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I am guessing, reload with wrong powder, probably fast burning pistol powder.

Hard to get too much powder in a .223 case, you can but getting that kind of pressure/damage is not likely.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

You guys are seriously overlooking one KB, one that's actually happened to me years ago.

Primer  gets stuck/fused to the bolt face then as next round get pushed into the chamber the stuck/fused primer sets off the next round oob as the head space is taken up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those claiming OOB:

Bullshit.

I would consider that as a slam fire and not a regular OOB. you would have two rapid fires, the first round which you pulled the trigger, the second which fired up loading. the diagnosis and fix would be different.

either way, determining if it was a OOB/slam fire vs a wrong powder charge should be simple, in a OOB the primer and most of the case will be intact, a wrong powder overpressure will have blown out the primer, and probably burned away the bolt face and firing pin, it will all have brass dust over it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

PSA Has probably got 100,000 uppers out in the hands of shooters . If they had a .1% failure rate you would still have 100 bad uppers . I seriously think the failure rate is lower . I am not blaming PSA for this without serious study .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, nothing PSA sells is any good?  

PSA Has probably got 100,000 uppers out in the hands of shooters . If they had a .1% failure rate you would still have 100 bad uppers . I seriously think the failure rate is lower . I am not blaming PSA for this without serious study .

This.  Anything is possible.  But its really hard to blow up even a Hesse like this.  

OP has been getting some very good technical answers but GD moron gonna moron.

I'm going with bad reload or bad brass.

Bad brass is very unlikely unless a reload.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

3329 posts. Any of them say anything smart?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Shoot PSA products at your own risk......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, nothing PSA sells is any good?  

Shoot PSA products at your own risk......

I do. Every time i go to the range. Probably 10,000 rounds through three guns, two AR pistols.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
be sure to pull a couple rounds of the ammo and see how much powder is in them
View Quote

This, and what type of powder. I'm going with a hot round myself.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/millersho/IMG_0018.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/millersho/upper-damage.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those claiming OOB:

Bullshit.

That damage is very diffrent than what op posted. And what I would expect. The bolt was forced rearward and the cam pin gouged the upper.

I agree Headspacing is important and I check all my rifles but I don't think that was the issues. The chamber should contain the pressure and a headspace issue probably would have been apparent in the previous 250 rounds, before just a sudden KB.

OPs pics look like a pressure issue. I'd guess either the wrong powder was used. It looks like the gas made it though the gastube and into the carrier and blew out the bottom of the carrier and split the sides of the carrier causing the upper to crack.

Maybe the carrier was faulty.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
That damage is very diffrent than what op posted. And what I would expect. The bolt was forced rearward and the cam pin gouged the upper.

I agree Headspacing is important and I check all my rifles but I don't think that was the issues. The chamber should contain the pressure and a headspace issue probably would have been apparent in the previous 250 rounds, before just a sudden KB.

OPs pics look like a pressure issue. I'd guess either the wrong powder was used. It looks like the gas made it though the gastube and into the carrier and blew out the bottom of the carrier and split the sides of the carrier causing the upper to crack.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For those claiming OOB:

Bullshit.

Sort of, though the entry point for most of the gas is directly into the bc face. In addition, a lot of mechanical force is exerted by flowing brass spreading across the bolt face (splitting it), into the extractor cut (mangling the extractor), and generally every nook and cranny it can find. By the time gas makes it through the gas tube and key the damage is already done.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sort of, though the entry point for most of the gas is directly into the bc face. In addition, a lot of mechanical force is exerted by flowing brass spreading across the bolt face (splitting it), into the extractor cut (mangling the extractor), and generally every nook and cranny it can find. By the time gas makes it through the gas tube and key the damage is already done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those claiming OOB:

Bullshit.

Getting the bolt out and inspecting it might tell us a lot about what happened then. And the brass.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#41]
The rare in after the the lock.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The rare in after the the lock.

View Quote

OK, I LOL'd....

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I had a old "stop sign " SWG Oly lower which I think was cast that did almost the same thing. I was heavily into reloading at the time and reloaded all my 223's. I bought a new house and packed up my reloading room and accidentally poured pistol powder out of my powder dropper into a rifle powder can. At the new house I set up my reloading room and started makeing 233's again . I was later leaning over the hood of my 73 Bronco shooting and kaboom. The mag bottom blew out so hard it made an indention in my hood that you could read the mag maker / info on the hood like a stamped out dog tag. I replaced the bolt carrier and upper, I replaced the cracked barrel extension. The lower swelled out and I put it in vice and squeezed it back together and kept shooting it another 15 years and sold it to a guy at work who still shoots it. That old lower was tough.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:51:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  This.
I had a kaboom with USA ammo.  Once fired military brass had a hidden projectile called a "rattler" left inside causing overpressure.  My rifle looked identical except its Troy quadrail helped to keep the upper intact.
The remanufacturer paid to replace my rifle so I was able to custom build a better one.
View Quote

Say what?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#45]
id say bulk ammo made of reloads. seriously doubt it was new manufactured factory ammo.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Squib or overcharged ammo.
View Quote

This.

Pull the upper off, trash it and the BCG.

If the lower is fine, install new upper and BCG.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#47]
LC03 headstamp..

Was it LC ammo or reloads? If you can get us a picture of the headstamp. I want to bet ultramax ammo for some reason. But even if the cases were filled to the top, I dont think that would pop the rifle unless it was defective.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Say what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I had a kaboom with USA ammo.  Once fired military brass had a hidden projectile called a "rattler" left inside causing overpressure.  My rifle looked identical except its Troy quadrail helped to keep the upper intact.
The remanufacturer paid to replace my rifle so I was able to custom build a better one.

Say what?

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your correct... would be difficult...
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what?

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/642/747/e75.jpg

Legit LOL @ "rattler"...
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top