Que what?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did anyone check the headspace when it was built?

AR15's by design do not need to be headspaced.

I could see headspacing If the guy took a no name barrel and no name barrel extension and wrenched them together and then put them into a upper. Would he need to GO gauge it? Probably, but the vast majority of uppers are pre-barreled and the vast vast majority of barrels have the barrel extension factory installed.

Que what?

Since there are two opinions on this, someone please clarify this issue for me.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:47:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So, nothing PSA sells is any good?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what happens when you purchase from PSA. Their manufacturing is obviously by a bunch of incompetents, it also explains the very cheap pricing...

ETA: You get what you pay for.

PSA Has probably got 100,000 uppers out in the hands of shooters . If they had a .1% failure rate you would still have 100 bad uppers . I seriously think the failure rate is lower . I am not blaming PSA for this without serious study .
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:48:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could see headspacing If the guy took a no name barrel and no name barrel extension and wrenched them together and then put them into a upper. Would he need to GO gauge it? Probably, but the vast majority of uppers are pre-barreled and the vast vast majority of barrels have the barrel extension factory installed.

Que what?

If there is too much head space, the case can stretch.   If the brass is thin, this can lead to case head separation.    
Usually manufacturers will match a bolt to an upper, but if you build an upper and add a third party bolt, it's a good idea to check the headspace.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:51:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow that rifle heald up really well for what happened.

No pointy parts in people and all the red stayed on the inside... I'd say a failure that went as good as one could hope all things considered.

Overcharging a 5.56 is kinda hard if you really think about how much space is left over after you put your 25 or so grains into it. I'd almost wager it's a home reload and the dumbass maybe put completely wrong powder in it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
my guess is a hair OOB, back of case plumed and that was the result.
View Quote

My guess also.   saw it happen to a woman shooting a mini-14, blew everything out the bottom of the mag. She was startled but otherwise OK.

Roy
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:51:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If there is too much head space, the case can stretch.   If the brass is thin, this can lead to case head separation.    

Usually manufacturers will match a bolt to an upper, but if you build an upper and add a third party bolt, it's a good idea to check the headspace.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Que what?

The complete upper and the BCG came from PSA as a unit.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is what happens when you purchase from PSA. Their manufacturing is obviously by a bunch of incompetents, it also explains the very cheap pricing...

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:52:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Reloaded casing not resized properly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#10]

If you use quality parts, headspacing is not an issue.

Stupid kid that used someone else's reloads is all I see that happened.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Likely tried to unlock.  I am sticking with overpressure due to wrong powder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably bad ammo, maybe bad headspace.

Out of Battery:  Not likely, bolt is still locked closed.  To be honest, of all the AR Kabooms I've seen posted, I can't think of one that was actually due to OOB.
Bad headspace: maybe, but it's been fired 250 times so far,  Won't rule it out.
Squib:  Only if the gun failed to cycle, and the kid cycled it manually.  Possible, but one would think that would have been an unusual enough event associated with this that it would have been stated.  Worth asking them about  it, but really doubt this is it.
Other barrel obstruction: Unlikely, since 4 rounds were fired without issue.  I know of a KBoom in a 1917 Enfield caused by a shed jacket stuck in the barrel, while the rest of the bullet continued.  But that example involved a heavily corroded barrel coupled with an unusually light bullet which also had a very thin jacket.  That's almost certainly not the case here, and never heard of such a thing with an AR.
Over pressure round:  This one is my most likely candidate.  LC03 isn't a very common head-stamp for loaded ammo in the civilian marketplace.  Coupled with the seemingly mysterious progeny of the ammo (hopefully to be clarified), this sounds like your classic gunshow reloads - using "once fired brass",   Where "once fired" means "some range sold me a bucket of crap they found on the ground, who knows" or "military from a worn machine gun barrel".  Generally it's hard to overpressure a round bad enough to cause a Kaboom, but maybe this commercial reloader did a combination of bad powder charge and bad brass.  That's what I think happened.  Seeing detailed photos of the remaining ammo will be very telling.  Visible my looking at the remaining loaded ammo: the mild twin nicks in the neck, rim nicks, primer color, primer pocket crimp or obvious crimp removal cones are all tell-tell signs.

It's unlocked. You can see the extractor is in line with the ejection port.

Likely tried to unlock.  I am sticking with overpressure due to wrong powder.

Well... Hmm... I think Gas_Operated might be right, in looking closer I may have spoken too quickly about it still being locked...   Like you though, I do still doubt it was due to OOB.  The firing pin can't access the primer until the bolt is rotated, which only happens when it's locked.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#12]
My thought would be ammo.

Lots of "LC" stuff running around out there that is remanufactured.

I got some here in Wa that wouldn't fire in my Noveske and I had to mortar the round out of the gun.

Sold that shit right quick to another guy that was in on the original purchase of 10k rounds.

He was there when it happened and still bought it.

Guess I am just a pussy but I'll stick to factory.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:55:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Probably bad ammo, maybe bad headspace.

Out of Battery:  Not likely, bolt is still locked closed.  To be honest, of all the AR Kabooms I've seen posted, I can't think of one that was actually due to OOB.

Bad headspace: maybe, but it's been fired 250 times so far,  Won't rule it out, but I just don't think that's it.  Bad head spacing is pretty rare in AR's.  Would want to see the brass before saying more.

Squib:  Only if the gun failed to cycle, and the kid cycled it manually.  Possible, but one would think that would have been an unusual enough event associated with this that it would have been stated.  Worth asking them about  it, but really doubt this is it.

Other barrel obstruction: Unlikely, since 4 rounds were fired without issue.  I know of a KBoom in a 1917 Enfield caused by firing after a shed jacket stuck in the barrel, while the rest of that bullet continued.  But that example involved a heavily corroded barrel coupled with an unusually light bullet which also had a very thin jacket.  That's almost certainly not the case here, and never heard of such a thing with an AR.

Over pressure round:  This one is my most likely candidate.  LC03 isn't a very common head-stamp for loaded ammo in the civilian marketplace.  Coupled with the seemingly mysterious progeny of the ammo (hopefully to be clarified), this sounds like your classic gunshow reloads - using "once fired brass",   Where "once fired" means "some range sold me a bucket of crap they found on the ground, who knows" or "military from a worn machine gun barrel".  Generally it's hard to overpressure a round bad enough to cause a Kaboom, but maybe this commercial reloader did a combination of bad powder charge and bad brass.  That's what I think happened.  Seeing detailed photos of the remaining ammo will be very telling.  Visible my looking at the remaining loaded ammo: the mild twin nicks in the neck, rim nicks, primer color, primer pocket crimp or obvious crimp removal cones are all tell-tell signs.
View Quote

Headspace increases with usage.    
That's why some guys do not trust the "field" gauge.   If the bolt closes on a "no-go" gauge they figure it will soon be out of safe specs and don't even bother with the "field" gauge.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Que what?

Then they probably checked them if they came together.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:07:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

WTF is wrong with you? A 12 year old kid doesn't know about case sizing and powders I am quite certain. People like you ruin forums just as the same snowflake talking about how it is PSAs fault. The same people who were talking mad shit about me after I posted how fucked up my guns from them were are bashing them at every turn now. Headspacing can be an issue regardless of parts. Please go sit in the corner and think about what you just said.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
WTF is wrong with you? A 12 year old kid doesn't know about case sizing and powders I am quite certain. People like you ruin forums just as the same snowflake talking about how it is PSAs fault. The same people who were talking mad shit about me after I posted how fucked up my guns from them were are bashing them at every turn now. Headspacing can be an issue regardless of parts. Please go sit in the corner and think about what you just said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.  He's a smart kid and still learning.  This is a huge lesson for him.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:15:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No pointy parts in people and all the red stayed on the inside... I'd say a failure that went as good as one could hope all things considered.

Overcharging a 5.56 is kinda hard if you really think about how much space is left over after you put your 25 or so grains into it. I'd almost wager it's a home reload and the dumbass maybe put completely wrong powder in it.
View Quote

All joking aside, I'm going with this sinc it's not a squib.  I'm glad the boy wasn't hurt and I hope it doesn't make him afraid to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:18:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Nothing to add, but I'm glad he wasn't injured, OP.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:18:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I would be wanting a good look at that ammo.  I also wouldn't be shooting any more of it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:18:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
All joking aside, I'm going with this sinc it's not a squib.  I'm glad the boy wasn't hurt and I hope it doesn't make him afraid to shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, he's going hunting with his dad tomorrow.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:19:52 AM EDT
[#21]
An obstructed bore, although the obstruction mayor may not have cleared the obstruction during the subsequent overpressure event, or an overcharge caused, as has been noted, by the wrong powder did that and caused the cartridge head to yield, bursting and flowing the case head brass out of the way letting all of the super heated and very propellant rich gases concentrate inside of the front of the bolt carrier and the inside of the receiver as they continued their explosive combustion.

This is why the weak link that is the strip of bolt carrier produced by the two magazine feed lip relief cuts are often seen split along the relief cuts and bent downward more in the front that in the back.

A careful examination of the bolt carrier and the strip that separated will show the telltale sign that the piece bent it's way downward from front to back before yielding and breaking off at the rear.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:20:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I would be wanting a good look at that ammo.  I also wouldn't be shooting any more of it.
View Quote

Me too.  I will get some of that from him and check it out.  The case in the rifle is what I want to look at.  I suspect the primer pocket had been swaged.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:21:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot PSA products at your own risk......
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:22:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blow me........... I call them like I see them.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No longer tacticool?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Aliens.....or a Glock, is at fault....
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:28:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I have seen this with case ruptures.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:32:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
my guess is a hair OOB, back of case plumed and that was the result.
View Quote

yep. OOB most likely caused by a high primer on poor quality reloads.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:33:59 AM EDT
[#29]
>100k psi will do that.

When you get the rifle you'll find a hunk of brass from the cartridge base flowed into the extractor cut. That is stopping the easy removal of the bc. Since the rcvr and bc are toast you can pry it out with any tool that works. The bolt, firing pin tip, quite likely the barrel, and a few misc parts are all trashed now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:35:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sound just like the kind of asshole whose inability to mind his mouth lost him the possibility of receiving any attention anywhere except the internet.

I call things like I see them as well so instead of begging for blowjobs on a gun forum why don't you go to the mirror and see how long you can stand looking at yourself.

I'll bet you can't keep a self-loathing thought at bay for more than 15 seconds.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:38:34 AM EDT
[#31]
... if truly Lake City, I'd have to go with OOB
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:38:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Wrong powder. That's my guess
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:38:56 AM EDT
[#33]
For a second I almost thought it was a packaging error.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:38:58 AM EDT
[#34]
overcharged?????

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:39:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:41:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Que what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Que what?

Do you understand how an AR works?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:41:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Double feed, possible bad mag? and or extractor?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:47:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Double feed, possible bad mag? and or extractor?
View Quote

No.
Ammo.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:49:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You sound just like the kind of asshole whose inability to mind his mouth lost him the possibility of receiving any attention anywhere except the internet.

I call things like I see them as well so instead of begging for blowjobs on a gun forum why don't you go to the mirror and see how long you can stand looking at yourself.

I'll bet you can't keep a self-loathing thought at bay for more than 15 seconds.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want the cold hard truth, sweetpea. Well, I'll give it to you.

Either the kid is stupid and made a very dangerous mistake.

Or his mentor or whoever is teaching him about shooting failed to instruct him properly about using unknown rounds in his weapon. Whatever the case may be, the kid learned a hard lesson. Thankfully, it didn't cost him any body parts.

Now shut the fuck up.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:52:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Over pressure round:  This one is my most likely candidate.  LC03 isn't a very common head-stamp for loaded ammo in the civilian marketplace.  Coupled with the seemingly mysterious progeny of the ammo (hopefully to be clarified), this sounds like your classic gunshow reloads - using "once fired brass",   Where "once fired" means "some range sold me a bucket of crap they found on the ground, who knows" or "military from a worn machine gun barrel".  Generally it's hard to overpressure a round bad enough to cause a Kaboom, but maybe this commercial reloader did a combination of bad powder charge and bad brass.  That's what I think happened.  Seeing detailed photos of the remaining ammo will be very telling.  Visible by looking at the remaining loaded ammo: the mild twin nicks in the neck, rim nicks, primer color, primer pocket crimp or obvious crimp removal cones are all tell-tell signs.

This.
I had a kaboom with USA ammo.  Once fired military brass had a hidden projectile called a "rattler" left inside causing overpressure.
eta: He claimed the rattler was a trade secret.  If you picked up a spent cartridge case that looked empty but shook it, it would sound like a rattle since a damaged projectile lurked inside.

My rifle looked identical except its Troy quadrail helped to keep the upper intact.
The remanufacturer paid to replace my rifle so I was able to custom build a better one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:53:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:53:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Or his mentor or whoever is teaching him about shooting failed to instruct him properly about using unknown rounds in his weapon. Whatever the case may be, the kid learned a hard lesson. Thankfully, it didn't cost him any body parts.

Now shut the fuck up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now shut the fuck up.

Have you been drinking? Why are you so upset?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:55:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Shit blowed up!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:56:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Most likely an ammo problem. A look at the spent case would tell the story.

I think a squib would have been more catastrophic.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:01:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:If there is too much head space, the case can stretch.   If the brass is thin, this can lead to case head separation.    
View Quote

This^^^^

AND, some people should keep their worthless advice to themselves……. really!! Headspace is important. When you buy a complete upper with BCG, you can bet your ass the manufacturer/assembler checked the damn headspace…… no competent outfit would sell an upper without checking headspace.

Guys that mix and match parts SHOULD BE checking headspace…. like buying a bolt here, a barrel there and then ASSumming that the parts will headspace properly.

Headspace is set by the relationship between the chamber, barrel extension and bolt. There are tolerances on all these parts and in a PERFECT world, ALL parts would be exactly to spec and 100% interchangeable…… we don't live in a perfect world and parts are not always in spec.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have had two barrel/bolt combos that did not headspace….. they both closed EASILY on the no go…… one closed on the no go with a .003 shim behind the no go gauge. It would have been dangerous to fire that rifle.

Those that say it is not necessary to check headspace are full of shit. They are free to do what THEY want to do but saying such shit on a forum viewed by people …. some of which have ZERO experience… is just wrong.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:06:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Would the barrel be bulged or split if it was a squib?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Squib or overcharged ammo.

Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe a half load. Load up a rifle cartridge with only half the necessary amount of powder in the case and it'll blow the gun up every time.

The powder begins burning top down instead of back to front like it's supposed to. It raises the initial pressure spike by a factor of about three or four. Cowboy action guys regularly blow themselves up trying to lighten loads. Experienced guys will put filler atop the powder charge specifically to prevent this.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:07:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Looks like most other reload fuck ups I've seen.  Given the unknown origin of the ammo, I'll say reloads.

Never use reloads from an unknown source.  Here ends the lesson.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:10:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Now shut the fuck up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now shut the fuck up.

On the off chance that you haven't already,  go choke yourself tough guy.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:13:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe a half load. Load up a rifle cartridge with only half the necessary amount of powder in the case and it'll blow the gun up every time.

The powder begins burning top down instead of back to front like it's supposed to. It raises the initial pressure spike by a factor of about three or four. Cowboy action guys regularly blow themselves up trying to lighten loads. Experienced guys will put filler atop the powder charge specifically to prevent this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, maybe not.

Actually the powder burns "all at once" or "on the side" of the load as it lays in the case. More surface area of the powder is exposed and yes, you can get a pressure spike.

It is why you would see guys point there old revolvers towards the sky to settle the powder in the case against the primer to avoid the powder load laying flat in the case.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:19:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Actually the powder burns "all at once" or "on the side" of the load as it lays in the case. More surface area of the powder is exposed and yes, you can get a pressure spike.

It is why you would see guys point there old revolvers towards the sky to settle the powder in the case against the primer to avoid the powder load laying flat in the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, maybe not.

I multiple combustion point combustion can occur as well with opposing flame fronts colliding to create pressure spikes.

Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top