Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/17/2014 7:39:42 PM EDT
My nominee is George Armstrong Custer.

Yeah, he lost a battle at Little Bighorn, but he was a good cavalry commander during the civil war.

On balance, he does not deserve the hatchet job done to him by revisionist historians with ulterior motives. IMO.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#1]

I disagree with you, but that is neither here not there. I think Dr. Mudd got a hell of a bad deal.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah, he lost a battle at Little Bighorn, but he was a good cavalry commander during the civil war.

On balance, he does not deserve the hatchet job done to him by revisionist historians with ulterior motives. IMO.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/Custer_Bvt_MG_Geo_A_1865_LC-BH831-365-crop.jpg/275px-Custer_Bvt_MG_Geo_A_1865_LC-BH831-365-crop.jpg
View Quote

You ever actually read up on his Civil War performance? He was a back-stabbing prima-donna asshole who wouldn't follow orders, and was highly political. The only reason he wasn't shit-canned for the peace-time Army had to do with his political connections. Custer was a complete tactical dumbass who got very lucky on a couple of occasions, and that saved his ass, reputation-wise. His brother was actually probably the better officer, but he never got out from under George's shadow until they were both killed at Little Big Horn.

Custer was a political hack, a Courtney Massengale before Anton Myrer wrote that character into life. Some have said that Massengale was even partially based on Custer.

To be honest, I'd have to say that the historical opinion on Custer is drastically tilted in his favor, already. He was actually worse than commonly thought.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Who was the dude at the Atlanta Olympics who found the backpack bomb, then got crucified?

That guy
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Napoleon.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Who was the dude at the Atlanta Olympics who found the backpack bomb, then got crucified?

That guy
View Quote

Good one.  Richard Jewel.

I was at Fort Benning at the time and I remember the news.  They really savaged him and went with the hero wannabe redneck theme.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Judas Iscariot
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I read a Victor Davis Hanson column once in which he called Smedley D Butler a crank.

FVDH
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I vote me
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I read a Victor Davis Hanson column once in which he called Smedley D Butler a crank.

View Quote

FVDH

I think it was him (IRRC) who was purported to be involved in plotting a coup around the bonus army timeframe.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Richard III
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#11]
The Jews
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Bush l and ll.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Dan Quayle.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#14]
John Lackland
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Bush #2 was easy to hate.  Still miles better than President Ebola.

I don't understand Custer's motivations in the months prior to the Little Bighorn, and would appreciate the TL;DR version for history retards
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
 I disagree with you, but that is neither here not there. I think Dr. Mudd got a hell of a bad deal.
View Quote

You would be wrong.

While for many years several of the family members tried to clear his name, there were many reasons why he was prosecuted for his involvement in AL's assassination.

And as a descendant of Dr. Mudd and doing my own research.

He was guilty.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Trotsky. I think he could have made Europe "Red" if he was General Secretary of the Soviet Union.

But he'll be known as the crack pot 5th column communist that murdered by Stalin.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I was at Fort Benning at the time and I remember the news.  They really savaged him and went with the hero wannabe redneck theme.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That guy

damn...that guy died at 44 years of age.

did  he ever get compensated for having his life destroyed
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Already posted, but as soon as I saw your post, thought of richard jewell.  Poor bastard.  Rip
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Judas Iscariot
View Quote

Benedict Arnold.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Jeffery Amherst
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Benedict Arnold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Judas Iscariot

Benedict Arnold.

He was capable, but took out his personal offendedness by betraying the cause he was fighting for. Even if he was fucked politically (not all that sure that he was) he was a traitor.  Even the Brits held him in disdain.

No dice, he sold out.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Jeffery Amherst
View Quote

Interesting choice -- I agree
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That guy

you mean arfcom theme
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Joke answer is Tonya Harding.
Actual answer are: Richard Jewell, Gen McCrystal and France's Marshal Ney.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Aaron Burr

fal
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Calvin Coolidge.   What better than a President who does nothing???!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Coolidge
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Vlad the Impaler got a bad rap

his war on poverty actually produced results as did his war on terror
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Snowden.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Senator Joe McCarthy
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You ever actually read up on his Civil War performance? He was a back-stabbing prima-donna asshole who wouldn't follow orders, and was highly political. The only reason he wasn't shit-canned for the peace-time Army had to do with his political connections. Custer was a complete tactical dumbass who got very lucky on a couple of occasions, and that saved his ass, reputation-wise. His brother was actually probably the better officer, but he never got out from under George's shadow until they were both killed at Little Big Horn.

Custer was a political hack, a Courtney Massengale before Anton Myrer wrote that character into life. Some have said that Massengale was even partially based on Custer.

To be honest, I'd have to say that the historical opinion on Custer is drastically tilted in his favor, already. He was actually worse than commonly thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/Custer_Bvt_MG_Geo_A_1865_LC-BH831-365-crop.jpg/275px-Custer_Bvt_MG_Geo_A_1865_LC-BH831-365-crop.jpg

Two-time Medal of Honor recipient.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Custer
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That guy
View Quote

Richard Jewell
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Nikolai Tesla

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Lt. Col. Oliver North. Did the .govs bidding and they lynched him for it. Got a chance to meet him back in 07 in Kuwait.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#35]
John Wilkes Booth
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Custer was a  half assed military commander who frequently did extremely stupid shit for 'glory'.

One of the funniest is shooting his own horse while chasing antelope on his first Indian escapade.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Brutus
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#38]
He did help Booth, but was he aware of who he was and what he had done?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Joseph McCarthy

Because, look where we are now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Judas Iscariot
View Quote

You took the one I was going to post.  Without his betrayal, the prophesy wouldn't have been fulfilled.  He did exactly what he was supposed to do.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Monica Lewinsky

ETA and Robert Bork.  Both names are now verbs or nouns.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Ollie and other soldiers
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Ozzy
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Joseph McCarthy

View Quote

Came here to post that.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Marie Antoinette

It's highly unlikely that she ever said "let them eat cake"  She spearheaded many reforms to help the poor, and really wasn't the villian people portray her as.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Joesph McCarthy

And that brings us back to Senator McCarthy. Does Venona and everything that has come out of Russian archives in the past decade demonstrate that he was correct in arguing that communist conspirators had infiltrated the American government and that Democratic administrations had not only turned a blind eye to treasonous activity but actively aided and abetted it? Does he deserve credit for exposing Communist spies who had betrayed their nation to serve a foreign power?

There are several things about which Senator McCarthy was right — although he was by no means the first or only person to note them. There was a very significant issue of national security presented by communist spying and subversion. No government can turn a blind eye to spying as extensive as that directed against the United States by the Soviet Union. Secondly, the American Communist Party was serving as an agent of a foreign power. Venona makes crystal clear that the leadership of the CPUSA was not only aware of Soviet intelligence networks in the government, but also actively assisted the KGB in recruiting American communists to spy. The CPUSA even had several liaisons who worked with KGB spymasters. The KGB code word for members of the CPUSA was "Fellow Countrymen.” Nearly every American who worked for the KGB or GRU was a member of the CPUSA. That does not mean, of course, that all communists were Soviet spies, but most assuredly, most spies were communists.

Thirdly, McCarthy was partially correct that the Roosevelt and Truman administrations had been slow to respond to the issue of Soviet espionage. Whittaker Chambers had first gone to Adolph Berle with information about Alger Hiss, Harry White, Lauchlin Currie and others right after the Nazi-Soviet Pact and nothing had been done. It was not just that many liberals refused to believe that people like Hiss could not be spies. Even J. Edgar Hoover’s FBI did not make Soviet espionage a major priority until 1943 and their early investigations, while filled with promising leads, did not go very far. To a large degree this was a consequence of the war — German and Japanese espionage was a much larger priority. Once the FBI began to make progress in unearthing Soviet espionage, the initial reaction of the Truman Administration was to worry that it could be embarrassed by the revelations of so many spies in so many important jobs. Not until 1948 did the administration launch an assault on Soviet espionage — convicting communist leaders under the Smith Act, prosecuting Hiss and the Rosenbergs and instituting a loyalty-security program to weed communists out of the government. But espionage prosecutions were extremely hard to mount. For all her revelations, Elizabeth Bentley provided no usable documentation to take to court. If the government had tried those she accurately accused, it would have come down to her word against theirs because the Venona cables were off limits to prosecutors.

Fourthly, despite the decision of Soviet intelligence to close down most of its operations in the United States by the time McCarthy first made his charges, American intelligence had no knowledge of that fact. And, irrespective of whether Soviet intelligence networks were or were not functioning when he made his charges, the fact remained that some 200+ people who had served as Soviet spies were still unidentified. Was "Donald,” identified in Venona as a captain in the Navy in 1944, still there in the 1950s? Had he been promoted to Admiral? Had Muse, an employee of the OSS, transferred into the CIA? Was Dodger, a State Department official with some expertise in Soviet affairs, helping to make policy on the USSR? And was Quantum, the unidentified scientist who had turned over atomic data to the KGB, now working on the hydrogen bomb?

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Senator Joe McCarthy
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Joseph McCarthy

View Quote

Truth , turns out he was right about a lot of stuff
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Dr. Kevorkian
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Joe Hooker. Apart from the unfortunate name affiliation and the cronyism, he did have a good initial plan at Chancellorsville which then went awry after he got conked on the head by a falling mansion column and refused to relieve himself. Despite all that he turned out to be a decent subordinate commander in the western theatre
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top