Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/16/2014 11:08:25 PM EDT
The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 releases tomorrow and I'm going to pick it up.  What are the pros and cons of the white / black model?

I think the white looks sexier overall, but my main concern is it might be a distraction having a white bezel while watching videos... in this instance, the black might work better for immersion.  However, the backing of the black version does not look as good as the white version.  What else am I missing?

Black on Left, White on Right

White on Left, Black in Middle
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
FDE
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FDE
View Quote

The idea is a Magpul cover in FDE.  But first I need to choose the color of the phone.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you looked at the nexus 6? Google just announced it yesterday and should be available in a few weeks.

I choose black.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The idea is a Magpul cover in FDE.  But first I need to choose the color of the phone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FDE

If the Magpul cover is similar to my OtterBox, then every bit of the phone is covered by the case and it doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I've always gone with white. Not a distraction
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FDE

I haven't seen them put out a case for the Note series phones. Maybe I missed it
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have you looked at the nexus 6? Google just announced it yesterday and should be available in a few weeks.

I choose black.
View Quote

I considered it, but a few things led me away from the Nexus 6.  For one, no removable storage (MicroSD card) and lower battery efficiency (10 hours of WiFi web browsing compared to nearly 12 for the Note 4).  I also think 6" is a little too big while the 5.7" is a good size.  The S-Pen stylus is a nice addition on the Note 4, and with a $200 Best Buy credit after trading in an old smartphone, it's a hard deal to pass up.  Oh yea, the Nexus 6 has inferior cameras (13 MP rear and 2 MP front compared to 16 MP rear on the Note 4 with 3.7 MP front).  Thanks for mentioning that though!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:35:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Black. Make sharpton proud.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I haven't seen them put out a case for the Note series phones. Maybe I missed it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FDE

Crap, I just saw their website and realized you were right.  They do make one for the Nexus 5, so chances are they will make one for the Nexus 6, if that sways anybody's decision.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the votes, guys.

Any particular reasons to get a particular color and/or stay away from another?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Are you a girly girl or trying to be more feminine? If so go with the pearly white version.

If you are any kind of business person and would like to be taken seriously you are better off with a black phone.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:13:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've always gone with white. Not a distraction
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I had the same debate over the iP6+.  Some thoughts:
1.)  If you use the device mostly to watch videos, then black is the way to go.  white could be distracting in this instance.
2.)  if you spend more time reading websites, then white may have the advantage.  Although I don't think black is disadvantaged that much here.

Now, I spend more time surfing with my iP6+ than watching videos, but I considered the video watching experience to be more important.  Although, how important can watching videos on a 5.5" screen really be?

In the end, I went with black and I don't regret it.  I also thought that the white might turn yellowish with age, although I rarely keep phones long enough for that to be an issue.  If I want some white on the phone, i'll get the UAG case in white and have a "stormtrooper" phone!  
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm going with the black.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:32:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If the Magpul cover is similar to my OtterBox, then every bit of the phone is covered by the case and it doesn't really matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FDE

This helped me decide what color to get. In the end I just got a black one since I wasn't going to see it cause of the cover.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:00:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I swapped out the stock battery and went with this one on my Note 3... Runs forever, and tha case is damned good to boot.. However, I did toss the shity plastic screen cover that came with it and put in tempered glass..
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:06:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FDE

Magpul doesn't make a cover for any of the Notes.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Black
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:10:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I swapped out the stock battery and went with this one on my Note 3... Runs forever, and tha case is damned good to boot.. However, I did toss the shity plastic screen cover that came with it and put in tempered glass..
View Quote

Holy shit, why not just buy a Motorola Brick instead?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#22]
What changes did they make in the Note 4 over the Note 3?

I like my black Note 3..  white just seems too feminine.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:16:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Black. White plastic that is handled a lot doesn't stay white.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The phone isn't plastic.  It's metal (aluminum and magnesium mix).  Do you still anticipate dirtiness being a problem?

Quoted:
What changes did they make in the Note 4 over the Note 3?

I like my black Note 3..  white just seems too feminine.

They changed the design of the case and it's now made of a metal aluminum and magnesium mix instead of the plastic.  All the reviewers say it now feels and looks like a premium phone instead of a cheap option with the plastic case.  They also say it makes the phone easier to handle with one hand.
The battery has more capacity and is more efficient, giving the device longer battery life.
The device is Quick Charge Capable, which means you can charge the phone to 50% with just 1/2 hour of charging.
The display resolution has been upped from 1080p to 1440p, or 2560x1440 resolution on a Quad HD Super AMOLED display.  It looks gorgeous and has more ppi than Apple's iPhone 6s.
The processor and GPU have been upgraded to Snapdragon 805 chipset and Adreno 420 GPU.  The processor is a quad-core 2.7 GHz monster that is more efficient to cut down on power consumption (best processor out for Android phones, supposed to stay that way for 4-6 months).
The cameras has been upgraded and improved, the rear camera is a 16 MP camera from the GS5 but with added OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) and the front facing camera is now 3.7 MP with some cool features (like Selfie Mode and Selfie Panorama).
The S-Pen stylus has been upgraded with some new features as well.

My problem with the "Charcoal Black" is that it's not black, it's more of a dark gray (at least in light).  The white is really white, and white things are sexy.  I got the white PS4 and controller and it looks great.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My problem with the "Charcoal Black" is that it's not black, it's more of a dark gray (at least in light).  The white is really white, and white things are sexy.  I got the white PS4 and controller and it looks great.
View Quote

Just get the one that matches your shoes sweetcheeks
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#26]
brack
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#27]
White. Its easier to see where the screen starts.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Are you a girly girl or trying to be more feminine? If so go with the pearly white version.

If you are any kind of business person and would like to be taken seriously you are better off with a black phone.
View Quote

This. My last boss had a white iPhone with a U2 ringtone. He was mocked by his peers when he wasn't in the room.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Black is the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#30]

They changed the design of the case and it's now made of a metal aluminum and magnesium mix instead of the plastic.  All the reviewers say it now feels and looks like a premium phone instead of a cheap option with the plastic case.  They also say it makes the phone easier to handle with one hand. Mute point. Only needed if you drop it a lot. Plastic or metal as long as the phone functions ehh..

The battery has more capacity and is more efficient, giving the device longer battery life. How much longer? A rooted N3 can get close to 3 days of battery life. 1.5 with heavy usage.

The device is Quick Charge Capable, which means you can charge the phone to 50% with just 1/2 hour of charging. N3 already has this feature. Rooted provides a better charge.

The display resolution has been upped from 1080p to 1440p, or 2560x1440 resolution on a Quad HD Super AMOLED display.  It looks gorgeous and has more ppi than Apple's iPhone 6s. Ehh it wont matter in a few weeks, once your eyes adjust you will never tell the screen clarity difference.

The processor and GPU have been upgraded to Snapdragon 805 chipset and Adreno 420 GPU.  The processor is a quad-core 2.7 GHz monster that is more efficient to cut down on power consumption (best processor out for Android phones, supposed to stay that way for 4-6 months). .8 faster than the N3, to be honest that is not that big of a difference. As for the GPU ehh not enough to make a difference.

The cameras has been upgraded and improved, the rear camera is a 16 MP camera from the GS5 but with added OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) and the front facing camera is now 3.7 MP with some cool features (like Selfie Mode and Selfie Panorama). Who takes a ton of pictures with their phone? I guess I dont see the use, and more novelty.

The S-Pen stylus has been upgraded with some new features as well. I am intrigued by these, but I give it 2 months before a developed patches these for the N3
View Quote
This is for those who are are thinking about going to the N4 from the N3. Wait for the next one, this is just a slight revamp of the N3. Or if going into the Note series, get the N3 especially if it is cheaper.

OP get black.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I had the same debate over the iP6+.  Some thoughts:
1.)  If you use the device mostly to watch videos, then black is the way to go.  white could be distracting in this instance.
2.)  if you spend more time reading websites, then white may have the advantage.  Although I don't think black is disadvantaged that much here.

Now, I spend more time surfing with my iP6+ than watching videos, but I considered the video watching experience to be more important.  Although, how important can watching videos on a 5.5" screen really be?

In the end, I went with black and I don't regret it.  I also thought that the white might turn yellowish with age, although I rarely keep phones long enough for that to be an issue.  If I want some white on the phone, i'll get the UAG case in white and have a "stormtrooper" phone!  
View Quote

Damn dude, you really thought this out
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've always gone with white.
View Quote

Me too, and not just phones
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've always gone with white.

Maybe you should ask to change your username to VA-WhtRifle
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm quite sick of the cheesy "pleather" look.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Black
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This is for those who are are thinking about going to the N4 from the N3. Wait for the next one, this is just a slight revamp of the N3. Or if going into the Note series, get the N3 especially if it is cheaper.  

OP get black.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They changed the design of the case and it's now made of a metal aluminum and magnesium mix instead of the plastic.  All the reviewers say it now feels and looks like a premium phone instead of a cheap option with the plastic case.  They also say it makes the phone easier to handle with one hand. Mute point. Only needed if you drop it a lot. Plastic or metal as long as the phone functions ehh..I think the tactile feel is significant and the phone is easier to hold without a case.  Plus the metal is more durable. The home and volume buttons are much more clicky and feel much better compared to the N3 and S5.
The battery has more capacity and is more efficient, giving the device longer battery life. How much longer? A rooted N3 can get close to 3 days of battery life. 1.5 with heavy usage.WiFi browsing is 10 hours on the Note 3 vs. 12 hours on the Note 4.  4G LTE browsing is 8 hours on the Note 3 vs. 11 hours on the Note 4.  Charge time is 2.41 hours on the Note 3 vs. 1.76 hours on the Note 4.  All according to Anandtech.  With rooting and with Android 5.0 L's Project Volta, there's no reason why the Note 4 can't surpass that with rooting.
The device is Quick Charge Capable, which means you can charge the phone to 50% with just 1/2 hour of charging. N3 already has this feature. Rooted provides a better charge.See above.  Rooting can be done on the N4 too.
The display resolution has been upped from 1080p to 1440p, or 2560x1440 resolution on a Quad HD Super AMOLED display.  It looks gorgeous and has more ppi than Apple's iPhone 6s. Ehh it wont matter in a few weeks, once your eyes adjust you will never tell the screen clarity difference.I disagree.  I also read a review where the person said the pictures he took with his N4 look better on his phone than they do on his iMac.
The processor and GPU have been upgraded to Snapdragon 805 chipset and Adreno 420 GPU.  The processor is a quad-core 2.7 GHz monster that is more efficient to cut down on power consumption (best processor out for Android phones, supposed to stay that way for 4-6 months). .8 faster than the N3, to be honest that is not that big of a difference. As for the GPU ehh not enough to make a difference.The N3 runs at 2.26 GHz while the N4 runs at 2.7 GHz.  That's under 500 MHz difference, but it makes a big difference in terms of performance and battery drain.  Same with the GPU.  The N4 blows the N3 away in pretty much every benchmark.  Check out the metrics here: CPU Performance GPU & NAND Performance
The cameras has been upgraded and improved, the rear camera is a 16 MP camera from the GS5 but with added OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) and the front facing camera is now 3.7 MP with some cool features (like Selfie Mode and Selfie Panorama). Who takes a ton of pictures with their phone? I guess I dont see the use, and more novelty.A lot of people take tons of pictures with their phone.  I know I do.  I also take videos.  I always have my phone with me, while I don't have a dedicated digital camera with me.  So the phone is always around whenever there is an opportunity worth capturing on camera.  That includes recording USPSA and other shooting competitions.  Or concerts.  Or pictures of family or beautiful scenery.  And this phone has more features than my dedicated digital camera.  This isn't just a novelty for me, but an important feature I care about.
The S-Pen stylus has been upgraded with some new features as well. I am intrigued by these, but I give it 2 months before a developed patches these for the N3I suspect that is true.  The physical stylus itself has some improvements, but you can copy that just by buying the standalone stylus.

OP get black.

I think the N4 is a significant upgrade from the N3, but if I had a N3 I would wait for the N5 as well.  I do think your points downplay the significance of the upgrade, though.  See notes above.

I am upgrading from an S3, so the jump to N4 is significant indeed.

And you can read the full Anandtech Review here: http://anandtech.com/show/8613/the-samsung-galaxy-note-4-review

I'm leaning more towards black at this stage.  I just wish it was actually black.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#37]
White may turn yellow-ish.  This may cause resale issues in the future.

Watching video, you'll want a black background/bezel.  Although, you're only on a 5-6" screen, it may not matter much....but anything helps.  If you have a case, it won't really matter.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I got a black one.

Didn't matter to me cause it's going into this case if I keep it. Still weening off the iPhone. Haven't decided if I'm keeping it or swapping for a 6+.

http://www.spigen.com/galaxy-note-4-case-tough-armor.html
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:44:55 AM EDT
[#39]
I'd still get black. I plan to when my upgrade comes up.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:57:14 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm typing this on my black Note 4 that was just delivered today.

As an Apple fan boy I was nervous leaving my 5s behind but holy shit this thing is awesome. This screen is a thing of beauty.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#41]
I've had both a white and a black Note 3 due to the phone insurance company not having a black one in stock when my last phone went swimming, and honestly, I don't really notice a difference. I normally have the phone in an Otterbox Commuter case, so all you see is the white outline around the screen and around the camera. Even without the case, the white doesn't bother me all that much.

I have wicked ADD, and even so I hardly ever notice the white, nor do I find it "distracting". I don't pause videos and start rotating the phone around marveling at the color of the case. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:25:10 AM EDT
[#42]
I went with white - I like the stormtrooper look
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Pink....

everything is about pink now
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:53:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Black
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the tips guys.  Still waiting for Best Buy to get my phone in (ugh), but a black model is pre-ordered.

Those of you coming from iPhones, welcome to the Dark Side!  Enjoy being able to add microSD cards for increased storage, swapping out the removable battery, and being able to put files directly onto your phone from your computer.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I got a black one.

Didn't matter to me cause it's going into this case if I keep it. Still weening off the iPhone. Haven't decided if I'm keeping it or swapping for a 6+.

http://www.spigen.com/galaxy-note-4-case-tough-armor.html
View Quote

Looks like a great case, but it's just missing a screen protector.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I had a white S3. No matter how clean I kept my hands, it looked dinghy after a week or so. I like to work outside, so that may not be a problem for you. I clean my Note 3 pretty regularly, but I'd probably be horrified at what it looks like if it were white.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I preordered mine in black.

Its not supposed to ship until the 23rd. How are you getting yours early?
View Quote

Release date was supposedly October 17.  Others say the Verizon version was delayed a week.  All I know is my pre-order did not come in yet and I'm still waiting for it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Black shows fingerprints much more than white.
But I really don't care, I always get black....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top