Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They changed the market by getting a AAA developer to push a game that could've been developed by one dude in a basement. Except CoL happens to be the first game in a while that Ubisoft hasn't screwed up.

Also, indie developers do change the market. Counter Strike. Sure, it was a mod. But it was developed by somebody nobody had ever heard of. Then it became, and inspired AAA titles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, in the context of the point that indie developers do not inspire change in the market. They inspire each other, and they sell out. That's it.

They changed the market by getting a AAA developer to push a game that could've been developed by one dude in a basement. Except CoL happens to be the first game in a while that Ubisoft hasn't screwed up.

Also, indie developers do change the market. Counter Strike. Sure, it was a mod. But it was developed by somebody nobody had ever heard of. Then it became, and inspired AAA titles.

Obviously, our perception of what makes a game "indie" differs. But I'll leave it at this:

We used to have John Carmacks and Richard Garriotts creating engine software from scratch and revolutionizing gaming... Now we're stuck with Zoe Quinns, Notches, and FISHes leasing engine software long enough to get a playable demo out on Steam, and then selling the rights to large publishers to distribute ports to consoles.

*sigh*

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Obviously, our perception of what makes a game "indie" differs. But I'll leave it at this:

We used to have John Carmacks and Richard Garriotts creating engine software from scratch and revolutionizing gaming... Now we're stuck with Zoe Quinns, Notches, and FISHes leasing engine software long enough to get a playable demo out on Steam, and then selling the rights to large publishers to distribute ports to consoles.

*sigh*

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, in the context of the point that indie developers do not inspire change in the market. They inspire each other, and they sell out. That's it.

*sigh*

At least we can agree on that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How many games were military based shooters with customizable loadouts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, no. Counter-Strike was a mod that was re-released as a full title after Valve bought the modder out. Prior to being a AAA title, it was a mod of an existing game...it not an indie title.
It would be more appropriate to say that Half-Life inspired Counter-Strike, which is the exact opposite of what I said.

Fair enough. But in that case, it was a mod developed by an indie developer which spawned a triple A title, and changed the shooter genre.

It did not change the shooter genre. Not hardly. The rulesets were based on mods that could be made in Quake II with a single text file.

Once again, you're confusing art style and atmosphere with defining gameplay characteristics. Counter-Strike was just a re-skinned Half-Life with Quake II rulesets.

Call of Duty is the same thing. They have their niche improvements, but they don't shake the genre.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Allow me to mansplain it to you.

There are 2 women who are being attacked over this thing, therefor all women are being attacked. PMM is here to defend herself from these horrible accusations against Quinn and Sarkeesian

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

why do you want censorship playmore?
LMAO...if that's what you think I am saying, you are incapable of understanding basic English...and unfortunately, I don't speak any other language.    

MERDE!

you think gamergate isnt a big deal. and you think its about hating women. Ignoring the issues gamer's have as invalid.

thus supporting the current situation and where its heading.

There are 2 women who are being attacked over this thing, therefor all women are being attacked. PMM is here to defend herself from these horrible accusations against Quinn and Sarkeesian

Actually, there are more than 2 women being attacked here...there are women defending gamergate...much like  Muslims who apologize for the actions of the fringe, they feel the need to "clear their gender."

It's bullshit.

There are men who are destroying this country. They have forced us to buy a commodity. They have forced us to open our borders to criminals and moochers. They have forced us to pay for others. They have forced us to compromise our ability to defend ourselves...yet not ONCE have I heard any of them referred to sexually in insult...ya know, like, "That Bloomberg! SIIHPAPP!"

I honestly don't have an issue with hating the ridiculous shit these women stand for...not at all.

But saying, "Fuck her right in the pussy," is EXACTLY the kind of neanderthal response they seek and it WILL fuel them.

Problem is, ARFcom is apparently too stupid to see that, AND they're too stupid to understand that the women here take offense to it and we're their (ARFcom's) greatest allies.

In other words,

Herpers gonna derp.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Actually, there are more than 2 women being attacked here...there are women defending gamergate...much like  Muslims who apologize for the actions of the fringe, they feel the need to "clear their gender."  
It's bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMAO...if that's what you think I am saying, you are incapable of understanding basic English...and unfortunately, I don't speak any other language.    

MERDE!

you think gamergate isnt a big deal. and you think its about hating women. Ignoring the issues gamer's have as invalid.

It's bullshit.

There are men who are destroying this country. They have forced us to buy a commodity. They have forced us to open our borders to criminals and moochers. They have forced us to pay for others. They have forced us to compromise our ability to defend ourselves...yet not ONCE have I heard any of them referred to sexually in insult...ya know, like, "That Bloomberg! SIIHPAPP!"

I honestly don't have an issue with hating the ridiculous shit these women stand for...not at all.

But saying, "Fuck her right in the pussy," is EXACTLY the kind of neanderthal response they seek and it WILL fuel them.

Problem is, ARFcom is apparently too stupid to see that, AND they're too stupid to understand that the women here take offense to it and we're their (ARFcom's) greatest allies.

In other words,

Herpers gonna derp.
You've earned yourself the first spot on my ignore list that isn't a moon truther or 9/11 truther. impressive

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Actually, there are more than 2 women being attacked here...there are women defending gamergate...much like  Muslims who apologize for the actions of the fringe, they feel the need to "clear their gender."   It's bullshit.

In other words,
Herpers gonna derp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MERDE!

Actually, there are more than 2 women being attacked here...there are women defending gamergate...much like  Muslims who apologize for the actions of the fringe, they feel the need to "clear their gender."   It's bullshit.

In other words,
Herpers gonna derp.

I don't see you being appaled by the woman's actions, but i see you being more loud about the fact that they happen to be women and that GD is full of retarded jokers. have you seen me say SIIHPAPP or those other things? No. but you pretty much lumped me with them.
That is what makes you look anti- GG and siding with the Ultra-feminists.

But the biggest issue to you ISNT the currption or the PC police. it's guys in GD making jokes that offend you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Indie games are so overrated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"indie games" are a joke. I built stuff that was the technical equivalent of Depression Quest using VB4 when I was in 3rd grade, but I wouldn't call myself a "game dev". These guys are doing little shit no one cares about just so they can pat themselves on the back and tell mommy they're important...but they ain't.

Keep playing Call of Duty then. Indie games may be small time in terms of money, but indie games are where all the creativity is. Like VVVVV, Thomas Was Alone, and Shovel Knight.

I would tend to agree, but there are some freaking amazing ones like Kerbal Space Program.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would tend to agree, but there are some freaking amazing ones like Kerbal Space Program.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"indie games" are a joke. I built stuff that was the technical equivalent of Depression Quest using VB4 when I was in 3rd grade, but I wouldn't call myself a "game dev". These guys are doing little shit no one cares about just so they can pat themselves on the back and tell mommy they're important...but they ain't.

Keep playing Call of Duty then. Indie games may be small time in terms of money, but indie games are where all the creativity is. Like VVVVV, Thomas Was Alone, and Shovel Knight.

Looks baller as fuck. Where do I download?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

STEAM
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't see you being appaled by the woman's actions, but i see you being more loud about the fact that they happen to be women and that GD is full of retarded jokers. have you seen me say SIIHPAPP or those other things? No. but you pretty much lumped me with them.

But the biggest issue to you ISNT the currption or the PC police. it's guys in GD making jokes that offend you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MERDE!

In other words,

Herpers gonna derp.

What would you like me to do? Seriously? If I call them cunts will that make you happy? If I suggest someone grudge fuck the liberal out of them, perhaps you'll be mollified...I dunno exactly what it is you're looking for, here.

Go thru the thread...look at the responses. It's your thread...if you find those responses distasteful, steer it.

As far "Anti-GG" and pro uber feminism, I've already said, it's a non-issue for me: I'm neither pro nor against...I am smart enough to know the money will win.

Again you fail at reading comprehension. I have explained (in basic English, mono-syllabic wherever possible, peppered with profanity to help) my observation:

When you repeatedly give the "enemy" what they want, they win. Calling her a whore or saying you wanna grudge fuck her is ammunition for her cause. I CANNOT explain it ANY MORE BASELY than that.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

1. I do not think Gamergate is a big deal...for the same reason many men in this thread don't think it is...because it's about FUCKING TOYS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MERDE!

1. I do not think Gamergate is a big deal...for the same reason many men in this thread don't think it is...because it's about FUCKING TOYS.

2. I think this THREAD was more about sex and hating women...Gamergate started that way (as it was started by a jilted lover claiming something happened that did not---see Aimless' repeated request for proof that the guy she was cheating with did her any favorable reviews) and is now just a huge clusterfuck of DRAMA.

3. The SJWs won't win here. Why? Because...money...THAT'S why.

4. Even if we shifted off the axis we're currently on and they did win, the claim that making games more girl-friendly will somehow break the brains of the gamers is just...retarded.

5. Let Sirveaux do the talking for you...he may be long-winded, but he doesn't come across as clueless.

So, like the SJWs out there, you are on a crusade to rid humanity of a strawman in this thread. Good job.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MERDE!

It's bullshit.

In other words,

Herpers gonna derp.
You've earned yourself the first spot on my ignore list that isn't a moon truther or 9/11 truther. impressive

Cool.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

2. I think this THREAD was more about sex and hating women...Gamergate started that way (as it was started by a jilted lover claiming something happened that did not---see Aimless' repeated request for proof that the guy she was cheating with did her any favorable reviews) and is now just a huge clusterfuck of DRAMA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MERDE!

3. The SJWs won't win here. Why? Because...money...THAT'S why.

4. Even if we shifted off the axis we're currently on and they did win, the claim that making games more girl-friendly will somehow break the brains of the gamers is just...retarded.

5. Let Sirveaux do the talking for you...he may be long-winded, but he doesn't come across as clueless.

So, like the SJWs out there, you are on a crusade to rid humanity of a strawman in this thread. Good job.

No, actually I'm making a list of all the basement dwellers.

This thread neatly compiles them in one place.

Handy, that.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#15]
You're putting words in my mouth, Insulting Me, when you already said you dont care about "Toys".
you're calling us basement dwellers, and insinuating we're all in the same ilk as woman haters. you have a HUGE chip on your shoulder or you're just fucking with us.
you're just here to troll most likely. Move along.

Like you said. you Don't care. So leave the thread.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's entertainment...it doesn't affect my income, health, choice, freedom

So yeah, it's insignificant.

Get back to us 15-25 years from now when kids, who have grown up having their entire thinking dictated by leftists via social engineering that will permeate every aspect of our culture, start to vote. It very much affects what you listed.

You are being very short-sighted.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think corruption surrounding Mario Cart (COD or Borderlands, etc) is ho hum.

Get back to us 15-25 years from now when kids, who have grown up having their entire thinking dictated by leftists via social engineering that will permeate every aspect of our culture, start to vote. It very much affects what you listed.

Yep. The left focused on winning the culture wars.

Games are perhaps one reason why EBRs are so popular. One factor in holding back gun control.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Games are perhaps one reason why EBRs are so popular. One factor in holding back gun control.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think corruption surrounding Mario Cart (COD or Borderlands, etc) is ho hum.

Yep. There is a pretty universal right-wing-ish lean in many games these days.

Check out all the anti-big brother games.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good call!

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Poll is stupid. Yeah! Fuck nerds!  They only built the technology we are using to be on this site,  this site, our guns... But yeah fuck nerds..  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Poll is stupid. Yeah! Fuck nerds!  They only built the technology we are using to be on this site,  this site, our guns... But yeah fuck nerds..  
View Quote

Well you can't keep a good social justice crusader down with those misogynistic facts!

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
That's because Kotaku is one of the journalistic outlets involved in the integrity scandal.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, no. Counter-Strike was a mod that was re-released as a full title after Valve bought the modder out. Prior to being a AAA title, it was a mod of an existing game...it not an indie title.
It would be more appropriate to say that Half-Life inspired Counter-Strike, which is the exact opposite of what I said.

Fair enough. But in that case, it was a mod developed by an indie developer which spawned a triple A title, and changed the shooter genre.

It did not change the shooter genre. Not hardly. The rulesets were based on mods that could be made in Quake II with a single text file.

SEAL Team, released by Electronic Arts in 1993.

That was mainstream at the time, and pre-dates Counter Strike by six years.

There was also SpecOps: Rangers Lead the Way released in 1998 by RipCord games, predating Counter Strike by just over a year.

Delta Force by NovaLogic also came out in 1998, about six months before Counter Strike.

Counter Strike wasn't even close to being innovative as a "military based shooter with customization loadouts".

ETA: The first Rainbow Six game came out two months after Counter Strike, so there would have to have been gold code being put into boxes already. Can't really credit Counter Strike for that, as it would have come out and been a success without Counter Strike.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:36:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
-

The games that break away from the pack (like FEZ and Minecraft) get sold out to mainstream publishers, anyway, so that we can have ports and sequels.

(Gee, where have I heard that story before? Oh, yeah - a little mod on the Quake 3 engine in 2002 that we now know as Call of Duty.)

View Quote

Funny you bring up Fez, because Fez's designer, Phil Fish, is deeply involved in Gamergate on the anti-gamergate side.

But then there's the fact that he's being looked at for racketeering... scuttlebutt even says the FBI's involved:

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/09/gamergate-phil-fish-allegedly-outed-in-racketeering-scandal-reddit-mod-speaks-out/

Basically he, along with his cronies in the business, were making sure his game would win event money for development.  Competitions were rigged, and when the fact that some of the judges and coordinators of the event happen to be some of the people in bed (figureatively and literally) with each other - then it goes right back to showing the corruption involved in games "journalism".

He's not mad because he cares about someone getting insulted on the internet - it's the fucking internet.  He's mad because he and the same crowd she's involved with were running a scam and the more that comes out about this, the more the SJW anti-gamergate side gets called on their self-serving bullshit, the more they lose.  It's corruption in the games development world and corruption in games "journalism".

And that's what this is about.

-

And seperately, this is interesting on the harassment of women by the SJW crowd for not being anti-gamergate enough:

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/09/tfyc-responds-to-females-getting-harassed-for-supporting-gamergate/
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:14:33 AM EDT
[#28]

-lost attribution due to quotetrees - D'oh! -

View Quote

There are a lot of other examples of smaller studios or independet developers who create or heavily influence huge games due to their mods.

The small studio Trauma made the Desert Combat mod for BF 1942, which in turn led to them getting picked up by DICE and making much bigger BF games.

I'd say the Battlefield series qualifies as a AAA title... and it was influenced heavily by an an indie dev group.  With the way the indie market has changed, and with the importance of being able to bring a game to market through services like Steam (influence upon them being key to the gamergate story), the manipulation by the "journalists" with an agenda and critics out to push their own agenda will mean changes for the gaming world.  There has been growing influence there - the question is how much of it will be stymied by gamergate?

Remember, this is a long march through culture.  This isn't "tomorrow Jack Thompson will ban GTA", this is "next year your BF/CoD movie-game will have a hard left storyline to"... oh, wait... we already saw that once, right?    Though what I've read suggests that they dropped it because it did offend the audience.

And while looking up that Rainbow Six: Statist Warrior thread, I stumbled on this wonderfully politically correct writeup about the Rainbow Six game that replaced it:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-disturbing-representation-of-women-in-the-rainbow-six-siege-e3-demo/1100-6420266/
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There are a lot of other examples of smaller studios or independet developers who create or heavily influence huge games due to their mods.

The small studio Trauma made the Desert Combat mod for BF 1942, which in turn led to them getting picked up by DICE and making much bigger BF games.

I'd say the Battlefield series qualifies as a AAA title... and it was influenced heavily by an an indie dev group.  With the way the indie market has changed, and with the importance of being able to bring a game to market through services like Steam (influence upon them being key to the gamergate story), the manipulation by the "journalists" with an agenda and critics out to push their own agenda will mean changes for the gaming world.  There has been growing influence there - the question is how much of it will be stymied by gamergate?

Remember, this is a long march through culture.  This isn't "tomorrow Jack Thompson will ban GTA", this is "next year your BF/CoD movie-game will have a hard left storyline to"... oh, wait... we already saw that once, right?    Though what I've read suggests that they dropped it because it did offend the audience.

And while looking up that Rainbow Six: Statist Warrior thread, I stumbled on this wonderfully politically correct writeup about the Rainbow Six game that replaced it:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-disturbing-representation-of-women-in-the-rainbow-six-siege-e3-demo/1100-6420266/
View All Quotes
Quoted:

-lost attribution due to quotetrees - D'oh! -

I just watched the video two previews on amazon for that Rainbow Six game you linked.

The bad guys are blowing up buildings and killing businessmen because they are upset about their debts being collected, homes foreclosed on, and jobs lost due to streamlining. So, in other words, it's Rainbow Six vs Occupy Wall Street. Nowhere is corrupt government mentioned.

Other than the fact that the OWS guys called themselves "True Patriots", it doesn't sound like much of a "hard left" storyline.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
-
I just watched the video two previews on amazon for that Rainbow Six game you linked.

The bad guys are blowing up buildings and killing businessmen because they are upset about their debts being collected, homes foreclosed on, and jobs lost due to streamlining. So, in other words, it's Rainbow Six vs Occupy Wall Street. Nowhere is corrupt government mentioned.

Other than the fact that the OWS guys called themselves "True Patriots", it doesn't sound like much of a "hard left" storyline.
View Quote

And the part about the bailouts... and again, the idea of domestic terrorists who call themselves patriots, which has been kind of a theme since around the early 90s to now in the real world... words do have meanings.  But again, the game died because it started off by offending the audience.

IIRC, they also started working on Siege, so there was no reason to go back to rewriting a game that by its own name and themes alienated its audience.

And I've already referenced in this thread some of the broad themes of Bioshock - one with the "Columbia" caricature, the other with the Randian caricature.  They're subtle condemnations that in immersive games do mean the biases and preconceptions of the game designers are pushed.  If it's a consequence of the game designer, whatever - people have opinions and they bleed through.  Whoop-de-doo.

But if the game designer's intention is to use an immersive world as a form of cultural propaganda and/or line their own pockets through pushing that worldview... then there's an issue.  And the SJW crowd exists to do that - for their own personal financial gain, and for the influence they gain by pushing around their supposed moral authority enforced by political correctness and the condemnation by the gaming "journalist" media as a cudgel.

No comment on the R6:Siege editorial?

I wasn't even looking for it, either.  It just happened to be the second story on R6 while looking for the other one.

-

ETA: Anyhow, this is kind of a sidetrack.  Fact is that game devs influence game design; game devs with game "journalists" backing them get press within the industry, and those with an agenda can push that agenda.  If their agenda is to make games consumers want, great, that's how it should be.  If it's to do something else - as gamergate has shown - then it's a problem.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And the part about the bailouts... and again, the idea of domestic terrorists who call themselves patriots, which has been kind of a theme since around the early 90s to now in the real world... words do have meanings.  But again, the game died because it started off by offending the audience.

IIRC, they also started working on Siege, so there was no reason to go back to rewriting a game that by its own name and themes alienated its audience.

And I've already referenced in this thread some of the broad themes of Bioshock - one with the "Columbia" caricature, the other with the Randian caricature.  They're subtle condemnations that in immersive games do mean the biases and preconceptions of the game designers are pushed.  If it's a consequence of the game designer, whatever - people have opinions and they bleed through.  Whoop-de-doo.

But if the game designer's intention is to use an immersive world as a form of cultural propaganda and/or line their own pockets through pushing that worldview... then there's an issue.  And the SJW crowd exists to do that - for their own personal financial gain, and for the influence they gain by pushing around their supposed moral authority enforced by political correctness and the condemnation by the gaming "journalist" media as a cudgel.

I wasn't even looking for it, either.  It just happened to be the second story on R6 while looking for the other one.

-

ETA: Anyhow, this is kind of a sidetrack.  Fact is that game devs influence game design; game devs with game "journalists" backing them get press within the industry, and those with an agenda can push that agenda.  If their agenda is to make games consumers want, great, that's how it should be.  If it's to do something else - as gamergate has shown - then it's a problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-

-

Sure, I'll comment on that.

I didn't realize GameSpot still existed. I'm sure between the two of us we doubled the number of hits on that article. Gaming journalism is irrelevant, and has been for close to a decade. This whole #GamerGate #hashtage #war #is #just #silly #useless #drama #pretending #to #be #relevent.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No, actually I'm making a list of all the basement dwellers.    This thread neatly compiles them in one place.
Handy, that.
View Quote

You sure spend a lot of time arguing about pointless drama involving unimportant toys for someone who doesn't care about nerds or their unimportant toy drama.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
-

I didn't realize GameSpot still existed. I'm sure between the two of us we doubled the number of hits on that article. Gaming journalism is irrelevant, and has been for close to a decade. This whole #GamerGate #hashtage #war #is #just #silly #useless #drama #pretending #to #be #relevent.
View Quote

Yeah, but no.

The capital investors going into some of these indie games are being influenced.  Read the earlier story about Phil Fish, and read on what's gone on with the indie game jams and game events.

Game journalism does influence what goes on in the gaming world, despite the influence that also exists with the "let's play" and walkthrough communities as actual reviewers.

Just because it doesn't influence you personally doesn't mean it's irrelevant to the rest of the gaming world.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Does anyone here actually read these websites for game reviews?  I know I don't - I head straight to YouTube, or a trusted internet forum or two, to hear actual opinions from actual people.

The only time I check their websites is if there is an announcement, but I only want concrete information - release dates, what platforms are supported, etc.

I could give a fuck less about their opinions.  I don't think I'm alone, here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, all the established gaming journalism sites have closed ranks, because they are all doing the same shady shit and crappy reporting/reviews, and are basically saying fuck you to the actual gamers

Does anyone here actually read these websites for game reviews?  I know I don't - I head straight to YouTube, or a trusted internet forum or two, to hear actual opinions from actual people.

The only time I check their websites is if there is an announcement, but I only want concrete information - release dates, what platforms are supported, etc.

I could give a fuck less about their opinions.  I don't think I'm alone, here.

This times 100. I stopped listening to public review scores a long time ago. Any more the only thing I look at is metacritic style scores.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Funny you bring up Fez, because Fez's designer, Phil Fish, is deeply involved in Gamergate on the anti-gamergate side.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-

The games that break away from the pack (like FEZ and Minecraft) get sold out to mainstream publishers, anyway, so that we can have ports and sequels.

(Gee, where have I heard that story before? Oh, yeah - a little mod on the Quake 3 engine in 2002 that we now know as Call of Duty.)

Of course he is. He's a hipster freak who makes "indie" games.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only because it's been played out. There were similar articles whining about the lack of female characters in Assassin's Creed: Unity around the same time.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Have to add arstechnica to the journalists who are anti-gamegate. Guess it's a conspiracy, though, since one of the writers is the guy who started gamejournolist and has been targeted as a conspirator for writing this:

Orland continued: "I would LOVE to use my platform to reproach this
kind of behavior... but that would go against Quinn's valid and
understandable desire not to have this personal matter publicized by the
media... Maybe we should just stick to Twitter to boost the signal on
this one, rather than our 'front pages.'"

"Maybe we should get a public letter of support going around decrying
these kinds of personal attacks, signed by as many sympathetic
journalists/developers as we can," he wrote. "Maybe we should just use
this as an excuse to give more attention to her work... I know I've been
meaning to review Depression Quest since its Steam release."

View Quote

He responded by writing this:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/09/addressing-allegations-of-collusion-among-gaming-journalists/

This led to a diverse membership [in the journolist] that I'd like to think engenders a
sense of camaraderie and plenty of friendly (and sometimes
less-than-friendly) arguments between peers. Far from colluding on some
kind of coverage agenda, the 2,000+ threads and many thousands of posts
in the group are more often heated arguments about issues like the
correct way to handle the very kinds of ethical and coverage dilemmas
that have been so in focus in recent weeks [. . . .]

In other words, the group fosters the kinds of "inside baseball"
discussions that colleagues in almost every field have over drinks at
various conferences. [. . . .]

In the heat of the moment, I suggested that gaming journalists organize a
"public letter of support" for Quinn. Later in the discussion thread,
cooler heads prevailed and made me realize that this would be
overstepping our primary role as reporters and observers (which is
exactly the kind of productive, self-correcting debate the group
engenders). No such note was ever sent.
View Quote

There's also this from the same website:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/09/new-chat-logs-show-how-4chan-users-pushed-gamergate-into-the-national-spotlight/

Discussion logs, however, suggest that #notyourshield didn't begin as
a broad movement but was a campaign manufactured and orchestrated by
4chan users via sockpuppet Twitter accounts. And, according to
screenshots recently released by Quinn, so was the original #GamerGate.

"But seriously, I think we're doing pretty good on the #GamerGate front," wrote
user OperationDunk in a "quinnspiracy" IRC channel. "Lot of support,
and a ton of people are picking up the self-chastising when people start
getting insulting. It took a few days of 4-5 of us doing it but it's
taking off." [. . . .]

The 4channers express their hatred and disgust towards [Quinn]; they
express their glee at the thought of ruining her career; they fantasize
about her being raped and killed. They wonder if all the harassment will
drive her to suicide, and only the thought of 4chan getting bad
publicity convinces some of them that this isn’t something they should
hope for.

They gleefully distribute nude pictures of her, posting links to
online archives of them and emailing them directly both to Quinn’s
supporters.

They dig up all sorts of information about her and her family and do
their best to track down anyone and everyone with even the most tenuous
links to her.

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:03:24 AM EDT
[#38]
The NYT has weighed in on this... surprise surprise, zero mention of GameJournoPros, zero mention of the corruption in games journalism, zero mention of any of the threats made against gamergate supporters... just the same old "racist bigoted ciswhitemales are out to hurt poor little old _____"

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/opinion/sunday/the-disheartening-gamergate-campaign.html

Some of the crusaders against Ms. Quinn justified their actions by constructing flimsy conspiracies that she colluded unethically with journalists who write for enthusiast websites about video games.

After targeting Ms. Quinn, GamerGate widened its scope to include others perceived to be trying to cram liberal politics into video games. The movement uses the phrase “social justice warriors” to describe the game designers, journalists and critics who, among other alleged sins, desire to see more (and more realistic) representations of women and minorities. That critique, as well as more accusations of collusion among developers and journalists, attracted some conservative gadflies to GamerGate, like the “Firefly” actor Adam Baldwin.

For all of us who love games, GamerGate has made it impossible to overlook an ugly truth about the culture that surrounds them: Despite the growing diversity in designers and in games — games about bullying, games that put you in the role of a transgender woman, games about coming out to your parents — there is an undercurrent of “latent racism, homophobia and misogyny,” as the prominent game designer Cliff Bleszinski wrote in March, before GamerGate even began.
View Quote

No mention of the Fine Young Capitalists as the feminist supporters they are who wanted to get more women into gaming by taking women's ideas as programming them, no mention of how FYC was screwed over, no mention of the coordinated attack on gamers and "gamers are dead" articles.

No, all the things that we've seen to be fact are just "flimsy conspiracy theories", and a return to the "all gamers are sexist racist homophobe nerd trolls who need to die".

It's kind of amazing to read a story by someone who can lie so thoroughly and completely and work so hard to change the subject.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The NYT has weighed in on this... surprise surprise, zero mention of GameJournoPros, zero mention of the corruption in games journalism, zero mention of any of the threats made against gamergate supporters... just the same old "racist bigoted ciswhitemales are out to hurt poor little old _____"

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/opinion/sunday/the-disheartening-gamergate-campaign.html

No mention of the Fine Young Capitalists as the feminist supporters they are who wanted to get more women into gaming by taking women's ideas as programming them, no mention of how FYC was screwed over, no mention of the coordinated attack on gamers and "gamers are dead" articles.

No, all the things that we've seen to be fact are just "flimsy conspiracy theories", and a return to the "all gamers are sexist racist homophobe nerd trolls who need to die".

It's kind of amazing to read a story by someone who can lie so thoroughly and completely and work so hard to change the subject.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Some of the crusaders against Ms. Quinn justified their actions by constructing flimsy conspiracies that she colluded unethically with journalists who write for enthusiast websites about video games.

After targeting Ms. Quinn, GamerGate widened its scope to include others perceived to be trying to cram liberal politics into video games. The movement uses the phrase “social justice warriors” to describe the game designers, journalists and critics who, among other alleged sins, desire to see more (and more realistic) representations of women and minorities. That critique, as well as more accusations of collusion among developers and journalists, attracted some conservative gadflies to GamerGate, like the “Firefly” actor Adam Baldwin.

For all of us who love games, GamerGate has made it impossible to overlook an ugly truth about the culture that surrounds them: Despite the growing diversity in designers and in games — games about bullying, games that put you in the role of a transgender woman, games about coming out to your parents — there is an undercurrent of “latent racism, homophobia and misogyny,” as the prominent game designer Cliff Bleszinski wrote in March, before GamerGate even began.

How ridiculous and false does this crap have to get before people catch on to just how hysterical it is?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How ridiculous and false does this crap have to get before people catch on to just how hysterical it is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're going to keep this whole thing rolling as long as they think they can since the rest of the media is involved in the same corrupt shit the gaming media is. Can't have the light shining on the truth.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They're going to keep this whole thing rolling as long as they think they can since the rest of the media is involved in the same corrupt shit the gaming media is. Can't have the light shining on the truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm starting to think that for the media, some of this is laziness. These people start as kids, baked in academia groupthink. With the amount of media wannabe's we have, they revert back to one of their oldest skills - lifting ideas from a better writer, shifting around the thoughts and calling it their own work.

Remember how "quagmire" re-entered the national vocabulary during the bush years all of a sudden. IIRC the NYT used the word first, and all of a sudden it started popping up over and over.
These dumbasses read eachothers work, and end up phoning it in.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm starting to think that for the media, some of this is laziness. These people start as kids, baked in academia groupthink. With the amount of media wannabe's we have, they revert back to one of their oldest skills - lifting ideas from a better writer, shifting around the thoughts and calling it their own work.

Remember how "quagmire" re-entered the national vocabulary during the bush years all of a sudden. IIRC the NYT used the word first, and all of a sudden it started popping up over and over.
These dumbasses read eachothers work, and end up phoning it in.

View Quote

MSNBC interviewed Christina Sommers aka "Based Mom" and only received two minutes of airtime compared to the entire rest of the segment being devoted towards the anti-GG side. It does seem to be waking people up(even those on the left wing/"Faux News" crowd) to how corrupt the MSM is.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:38:32 AM EDT
[#43]
If you want all the updates - especially on how Gawker - one of the primary anti-gamergate sites - is hurting due to loss of advertisers, just click play and let it run.

The folks talking are pretty prominent on the Gamergate side - Internet Aristocrat and Sargon of Akkad in particular, though the others are no slouches.

From 21-22 min they're discussing how the Sarkeesian Utah campus temper tantrum about concealed carry (covered in this ARFcom thread) has become a way to segway into using recent school shootings as a way to demonize guns and "toxic masculinity" and reposition themselves as a more mainstream, broader social justice group that fights for the more regular leftist causes - namely gun control.  The RogueStarGames guy mentions around the 23 minute mark that the SJW brigade is vectoring into targeting gun owners and the NRA as part of their culture war.

And keep in mind these are not firearms enthusiasts like ARFcom discussing this - these are video gamers.

(I also haven't finished watching it, so I'm sure there are more highlights.  I'll edit as I find them.)
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#44]
"gender neutral"

"inclusive"

RED ALERT
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Anybody see this Adam Baldwin interview: http://www.everyjoe.com/2014/10/06/news/interview-adam-baldwin-gamergate-politics-ranger/#14152246737391&{"message":false,"status":"educate user"}

Adam: In the educational programs, in elementary schools, in colleges, they teach a curriculum of being “change agents.” They teach you to “be the change you wish to see in the world.” So you get these game journalists, journalists in general, who want to change the world by invoking social justice, which really just means “have the government be bigger, take more money from people, and institute fairness quotas”— or whatever the hell they define fairness as that day! But that’s what they’re doing, and they’re caught out, and they don’t like it. They don’t like sunlight.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#46]
This is all very interesting.

Many 'indie' games these days aren't really indie. They're just people like Peter Molyneux, Chris Roberts, Richard Garriott etc. getting free, easy money by adopting the Kickstarter model to fund their developments. No doubt some decent games will be made as a result, but for everyone one there will be loads more cases where people take the money and run (Stomping Grounds?).

And the guy above who said that CounterStrike wasn't indie, or wasn't influential; you're crazy mate.

Where would Valve be without CS? Their whole business was build on co-opting the success of mods: CS, TF2, Dota. I can't be bothered to go on Steam to check but there's several hundred thousand people playing and a thriving market of hats as a result. Would we have Steam without all that? CS was revolutionary in the development of PC gaming, and particuarly competitive gaming.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Actually, I suspect that if this had happened 5 years ago, it would have been a non-event; gamers would have rolled over and taken the shit just like they always have, because the community just didn't have a sense of empowerment.  With the advent of crowd funding sites like Kickstarter and the success of projects like Wasteland II and Star Citizen, Gamers have come to the realization that they no longer have go begging to the gaming industry, hat in hand, to give them what the want.  Gamers have realized that the industry exists to cater to their needs, and they're unlikely to let that Pandora's box close again.  The sooner the gaming industry understands this new paradigm, the less unpleasant things will be for them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Actually, I suspect that if this had happened 5 years ago, it would have been a non-event; gamers would have rolled over and taken the shit just like they always have, because the community just didn't have a sense of empowerment.  With the advent of crowd funding sites like Kickstarter and the success of projects like Wasteland II and Star Citizen, Gamers have come to the realization that they no longer have go begging to the gaming industry, hat in hand, to give them what the want.  Gamers have realized that the industry exists to cater to their needs, and they're unlikely to let that Pandora's box close again.  The sooner the gaming industry understands this new paradigm, the less unpleasant things will be for them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://download.gamezone.com/uploads/image/data/1149257/philfish.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
-

http://download.gamezone.com/uploads/image/data/1149257/philfish.jpg

He's on that documentary, Indie Game: The Movie.  He couldn't be more unlikable.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#50]
ISIS denounced GamerGate?  
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top