Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#1]
So some gal is banging some nerds (yeah right ) and okay that's all I got.

Ed

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been following this for some time.

Steal from charities, fuck for good reviews, and try and censor people?

You're my enemy.

I like this thread.

I can attest to people being banned from 4chan over this. I was one of them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the link to the Internet Aristocrat. This guy is amazing.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're my enemy.

I like this thread.

View Quote

whats left now that 4chan is banning people ? 4chan sold out to who?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So some gal is banging some nerds (yeah right ) and okay that's all I got.

Ed
View Quote

so thats all you got from this? and  are we still thinking that nerds cant have jobs or families?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#6]
This 'social justice' isn't just on the internet and video games.  A lot of conservative, pro-gun authors of sci-fi and fantasy novels are being treated unfairly because the 'powers that be' disagree with the social commentary the conservative authors have (or maybe it's a lack of leftist commentary,lots of the targeted books don't have a strong conservative commentary they are fairly neutral) and are mad at how popular some of those authors are getting.

One such author so targeted is the guy who wrote Monster Hunters International series, Larry Correia, who IIRC is a member here
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're my enemy.

I like this thread.

MOOT has financial connections to the the Fine Young Capitalists

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fine_Young_Capitalists

Internet Aristicrat covered his involvement in one of his videos

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're my enemy.

I like this thread.

if anita screwed over TFYC why would moot be censoring GG posts?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#9]
-removed wrong info-

I'm still very confused

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:06:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This 'social justice' isn't just on the internet and video games.  A lot of conservative, pro-gun authors of sci-fi and fantasy novels are being treated unfairly because the 'powers that be' disagree with the social commentary the conservative authors have (or maybe it's a lack of leftist commentary,lots of the targeted books don't have a strong conservative commentary they are fairly neutral) and are mad at how popular some of those authors are getting.

One such author so targeted is the guy who wrote Monster Hunters International series, Larry Correia, who IIRC is a member here
View Quote

excellent point.  i had forgotten about the dust-up with the leftists giving Hugo Awards to their favored fellow travelers, but it really does dovetail perfectly.

Larry Correia's blog posts on this were nothing short of amazing.

we really are at war, as a culture.

everything that represents freedom/libertarian ideas (sci-fi was built on this), or heroic action of an exceptional person (games are filled with this), is being attacked incessantly by the left.

it really is a war.  thankfully, the Internet has allowed the word to get out, as it moves too fast for censorship.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
TFYC are/were pushing for more games made by and featuring minorities. GG is bad for them. I honestly don't know enough about it other than mootykins having the financial connections to the side that doubled down on the stupid. I haven't gone to 4chan much in the last year.

I've been meaning to rewatch the internet aristicrat videos since I watched them as this was all happening.

I'm still very confused

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're my enemy.

I like this thread.

TFYC are/were pushing for more games made by and featuring minorities. GG is bad for them. I honestly don't know enough about it other than mootykins having the financial connections to the side that doubled down on the stupid. I haven't gone to 4chan much in the last year.

I've been meaning to rewatch the internet aristicrat videos since I watched them as this was all happening.

I'm still very confused

Yeah, I still don't understand why Moot was banning people on 4chan when they were actually on his side.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Moot' s girlfriend works for gawker.

Btw it was zoe quinn(and a couple of her fuckbuddies), not anita, that screwed over tfyc.

For somebody worked up over this some people don't have a clue what is going on.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Moot' s girlfriend works for gawker.  

Btw it was zoe quinn(and a couple of her fuckbuddies), not anita, that screwed over tfyc.

For somebody worked up over this some people don't have a clue what is going on.

View Quote

It was both of them. I agree that Zoe Quinn had a lot more to do with it though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:48:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're my enemy.

I like this thread.

I could post a very large conspiracy theory, but I'm not going to. The facts that we have are that Moot and Anita attended several of the same conferences, and have allegedly been "in talks" about GG.

The original part of this was when Tumblr raided 4Chan, and 4Chan retaliated, as they are wont to do. This led to the niece of the owner of Gawker to attempt suicide. The owner of Gawker threatened Moot, and then he replaced many of the old mods and janitors on 4Chan with new SJW mods. There are several people that can back this up. When GG first picked up steam (before it was called GamerGate) the mods were deleting threads, claiming that /v/ and /b/ were being flooded with them. It was resolved, and only a few threads were put up at a time.

Then during a conference in early September, which both Moot and Anita attended, GG threads and all references started being deleted and posters were mass banned. This created chaos, with Moot not responding to the issue until after the conference ended. Moot claimed that GG threads were raid/doxing threads and thus were against CoC. Obviously this was bullshit, which lead to the great migration from 4Chan. Moot has bowed to the SJWs, licking their boots in submission.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:49:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I could post a very large conspiracy theory, but I'm not going to. The facts that we have are that Moot and Anita attended several of the same conferences, and have allegedly been "in talks" about GG.

The original part of this was when Tumblr raided 4Chan, and 4Chan retaliated, as they are wont to do. This led to the niece of the owner of Gawker to attempt suicide. The owner of Gawker threatened Moot, and then he replaced many of the old mods and janitors on 4Chan with new SJW mods. There are several people that can back this up. When GG first picked up steam (before it was called GamerGate) the mods were deleting threads, claiming that /v/ and /b/ were being flooded with them. It was resolved, and only a few threads were put up at a time.

Then during a conference in early September, which both Moot and Anita attended, GG threads and all references started being deleted and posters were mass banned. This created chaos, with Moot not responding to the issue until after the conference ended. Moot claimed that GG threads were raid/doxing threads and thus were against CoC. Obviously this was bullshit, which lead to the great migration from 4Chan. Moot has bowed to the SJWs, licking their boots in submission.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.
I haven't been to 4chan in months, where is the new hangout?

IM works

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:11:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Just watched the Internet Aristocrat vid, but I have a question.

Does the root "fairness in journalism" issue primarily revolve around coverage of independent games?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:13:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

IM works

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

IM works

Honestly? I don't know. I've been here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:16:21 AM EDT
[#19]
IMs sent.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:11:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
-

I'm still very confused

View All Quotes
Quoted:
-

I'm still very confused

Yes, you are very confused.

After Gamergate got started, The Fine Young Capitalists were funded by gamergate supporters.  See also Vivian James.

TFYC attempted to launch the women-only game jam early in 2014. After independent game developer Zoe Quinn learned of the project, she accused it of being exploitative towards women and transphobic, prompting criticism of the group on social media.[5][6] TFYC stated that the winner would receive a portion of the profits with most of it going to charity, while all rights would remain with the women who submitted proposals, and that their transgender policy only said someone had to have identified as female prior to the contest as a means to prevent men from lying about their gender identity in order to participate. Social media attention remained negative and TFYC found itself losing financial support and struggling to gain media coverage due to the criticism.[6][1][4] After some delay to review the inclusiveness of their policies and finding nothing wrong, they opened the project up to submissions on March 28, 2014.

After the Gamergate controversy began, the details of TFYC's dispute with Zoe Quinn earlier in the year also became the subject of discussion. Users of the site 4chan who were critical of Quinn and were being criticized as misogynistic began providing significant financial backing for the women in video games production project on Indiegogo. Members saw a show of support for a feminist cause against Quinn and her supporters as something that could benefit their public image.[7][5] After some 4chan members told TFYC that they wanted the group's promotional videos to talk about female game developers, TFYC released a video on Roberta Williams and her influential role in the early gaming industry, with a total of five videos on female game developers planned.[1] The group's decision to work with 4chan prompted criticism due to the alleged involvement of 4chan members in harassment of Quinn and feminist video game critic Anita Sarkeesian. TFYC responded to this criticism by stating social justice movements that would not let 4chan take part in a project were, by definition, oppressing them.[7][9] Its involvement in the GamerGate controversy also earned it the support of actor Adam Baldwin, who tweeted a link to the project's Indiegogo page

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/fine-young-capitalists-women-video-games-4chan/

Of course, since the shadowbans, halfchan is dead to a lot of people.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:20:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

After Gamergate got started, The Fine Young Capitalists were funded by gamergate supporters.  See also Vivian James.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/237/c/2/vivian_james_by_jamal1-d7wm1xy.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-

I'm still very confused

TFYC attempted to launch the women-only game jam early in 2014. After independent game developer Zoe Quinn learned of the project, she accused it of being exploitative towards women and transphobic, prompting criticism of the group on social media.[5][6] TFYC stated that the winner would receive a portion of the profits with most of it going to charity, while all rights would remain with the women who submitted proposals, and that their transgender policy only said someone had to have identified as female prior to the contest as a means to prevent men from lying about their gender identity in order to participate. Social media attention remained negative and TFYC found itself losing financial support and struggling to gain media coverage due to the criticism.[6][1][4] After some delay to review the inclusiveness of their policies and finding nothing wrong, they opened the project up to submissions on March 28, 2014.

After the Gamergate controversy began, the details of TFYC's dispute with Zoe Quinn earlier in the year also became the subject of discussion. Users of the site 4chan who were critical of Quinn and were being criticized as misogynistic began providing significant financial backing for the women in video games production project on Indiegogo. Members saw a show of support for a feminist cause against Quinn and her supporters as something that could benefit their public image.[7][5] After some 4chan members told TFYC that they wanted the group's promotional videos to talk about female game developers, TFYC released a video on Roberta Williams and her influential role in the early gaming industry, with a total of five videos on female game developers planned.[1] The group's decision to work with 4chan prompted criticism due to the alleged involvement of 4chan members in harassment of Quinn and feminist video game critic Anita Sarkeesian. TFYC responded to this criticism by stating social justice movements that would not let 4chan take part in a project were, by definition, oppressing them.[7][9] Its involvement in the GamerGate controversy also earned it the support of actor Adam Baldwin, who tweeted a link to the project's Indiegogo page

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/237/c/2/vivian_james_by_jamal1-d7wm1xy.png

yup, I got a couple wires crossed, hard to do with this super easy to follow scandal

turns out moot was involved with gawker media, for another business venture of his. He was seen at gawker events with sarkeesian there and in order to get/keep their backing he had to toe the line.

or something

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:28:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
-
yup, I got a couple wires crossed, hard to do with this super easy to follow scandal

turns out moot was involved with gawker media, for another business venture of his. He was seen at gawker events with her there and in order to get/keep their backing he had to toe the line.

or something

View Quote

The fun part starts when you get into DIGRA and you get into the social and academic backgrounds of the social justice warrior crowd that's behind GameJournoPros and all these other tyrannical anti-gamer lefties.

Internet Aristocrat had several stream videos (since pulled by him), one of which he talked to Sargon of Akkad who explained DIGRA and the SJW background, and who explains DIGRA a bit in the following video.  He also discusses it in the Honey Badger Radio video posted a page or two ago with the honey badger crew (which includes GirlWritesWhat).

Anyhow, enjoy a new group of connections:
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:42:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:12:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
V 250,000 social misfit gamers telling each other that their usual junior high bullying antics of arocking, stealing personal photos, threatening, harassing relatives etc has nothing to do with the backlash they created.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, the core (original) issue is ethics in gaming journalism?
Quinn's boyfriend tweeted about her cheating on him with the game reviewer who apparently never reviewed her game. Nerds went full retard and gave her the old arock/4chan assault. If it was about ethics why didn't they go after the male journalist instead?

Anyway it got bad enough that some of the game companies chimed in http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/09/24/349835297/-gamergate-controversy-fuels-debate-on-women-and-video-games

Oh some annoying woman who complains about sexism in video games got the same treatment

NPR has the cause wrong, no one really cared about her or her ex's claims until several major community sites began deleting any discussion of the topic. It's one of the best examples of the Streisand effect I've ever seen.

For some reason the bulk of the gaming press has chosen this as a hill to die on, and is trying to justify shitting on their audience by claiming it's defending "women in gaming" but Quinn is a no-name indie dev that made an objectively awful game. Meanwhile there's a highly-anticipated sequel called Bayonetta 2 coming out that  has it's main character designed by a woman and it's already getting ragged on by some of these same hipsters for being oversexaulized or whatever.

NPR. He listens to NPR, so he's informed.
V 250,000 social misfit gamers telling each other that their usual junior high bullying antics of arocking, stealing personal photos, threatening, harassing relatives etc has nothing to do with the backlash they created.

You are aware that the women involved were making fake threats against themselves, right?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:24:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You are aware that the women involved were making fake threats against themselves, right?
View Quote

And stealing from charities.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quinn's boyfriend tweeted about her cheating on him with the game reviewer who apparently never reviewed her game. Nerds went full retard and gave her the old arock/4chan assault. If it was about ethics why didn't they go after the male journalist instead?

Anyway it got bad enough that some of the game companies chimed in http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/09/24/349835297/-gamergate-controversy-fuels-debate-on-women-and-video-games

Oh some annoying woman who complains about sexism in video games got the same treatment

NPR has the cause wrong, no one really cared about her or her ex's claims until several major community sites began deleting any discussion of the topic. It's one of the best examples of the Streisand effect I've ever seen.

For some reason the bulk of the gaming press has chosen this as a hill to die on, and is trying to justify shitting on their audience by claiming it's defending "women in gaming" but Quinn is a no-name indie dev that made an objectively awful game. Meanwhile there's a highly-anticipated sequel called Bayonetta 2 coming out that  has it's main character designed by a woman and it's already getting ragged on by some of these same hipsters for being oversexaulized or whatever.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:22:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
-

View Quote

[narrator voice]Previously, on ARFcom:[/narrator voice]

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1676155__Massacre__threat_forces_Anita_Sarkeesian_to_cancel_university_talk.html
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:49:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

just stop.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:09:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

just stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
-

just stop.

He's saying the same things that other people who aren't up to speed on it are saying, because they hear gamergate stuff from sources that agree with the whole leftist/SJW/GameJournoPro bullshit going on.  Having an opposing point that either does rely on NPR for unbiased, fair, accurate, professional, impartial reporting... or an opposing point that's just throwing out the MSM argument just means more opportunity to discuss it and point out how erroneous the SJW claims are.

Also, for those who missed it, HotAir did a bit on Gamergate:

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/09/05/a-few-more-thoughts-on-gamergate/

...the “social justice warriors” who push political/cultural activism as part of their critical look at games and the industry. There is nothing illegitimate about cultural and artistic criticism in any art form; there’s been plenty of such analysis aimed at the film and television industries by all sorts of commentators, from feminists to family-values conservatives. The problem, at least as it’s been perceived by the gamers, is that the media covering the industry has taken sides, and has done so in large part because of undisclosed relationships between the journalists and their editors and the activists who want to make a point of finding misogyny in gaming culture, and to paint everyone in it with the same brush.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:12:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

He's saying the same things that other people who aren't up to speed on it are saying, because they hear gamergate stuff from sources that agree with the whole leftist/SJW/GameJournoPro bullshit going on.  Having an opposing point that either does rely on NPR for unbiased, fair, accurate, professional, impartial reporting... or an opposing point that's just throwing out the MSM argument just means more opportunity to discuss it and point out how erroneous the SJW claims are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ0wODEcW2I
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
-

just stop.

...the “social justice warriors” who push political/cultural activism as part of their critical look at games and the industry. There is nothing illegitimate about cultural and artistic criticism in any art form; there’s been plenty of such analysis aimed at the film and television industries by all sorts of commentators, from feminists to family-values conservatives. The problem, at least as it’s been perceived by the gamers, is that the media covering the industry has taken sides, and has done so in large part because of undisclosed relationships between the journalists and their editors and the activists who want to make a point of finding misogyny in gaming culture, and to paint everyone in it with the same brush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ0wODEcW2I

That was a great show, I watched when it happened. Notice that the SJWs refused to be part of the discussion, could it be because they're woefully outmatched by those that have a clue?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
-

That was a great show, I watched when it happened. Notice that the SJWs refused to be part of the discussion, could it be because they're woefully outmatched by those that have a clue?
View Quote

I just got around to finally watching the Thunderfoot video about Sarkeesian's "death threats" and Joss Whedon's supportive tweets... and his inherent - by Sarkeesian's definitions - misogyny.

If you transcribed Sarkeesian's words and posted them on ARFcom, you'd swear someone was quoting a RustedAce post pushing new boundaries of Poe's Law.

And of course she seems to get death threats when she's in need of media attention or funding.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:39:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Just to point out, in case it was missed, if you talked about this on 4chan, the posts got deleted and you got banned.

Banned from 4chan.

Just think about that for a minute.

Banned from 4chan

if that doesn't throw up red flags you need to take an internet 101 class
View Quote

No shit?  I don't venture over there but once every few years, but I was under the impression that the only (apparently other) thing that you get banned for was posting CP.

That speaks volumes.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No shit?  I don't venture over there but once every few years, but I was under the impression that the only (apparently other) thing that you get banned for was posting CP.

That speaks volumes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to point out, in case it was missed, if you talked about this on 4chan, the posts got deleted and you got banned.

Banned from 4chan.

Just think about that for a minute.

Banned from 4chan

if that doesn't throw up red flags you need to take an internet 101 class

That speaks volumes.

Yup.

Censorship was "explained" as a "misinterpretation" that needs more "explanation" in a very Obama fashion.  More info here.

Reddit's also been full of shadowbans... so bad that even wikileaks was involved peripherally.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:11:04 AM EDT
[#34]
One more gamergate video that's a bit shorter and brings some things together a bit quicker... though the gal's accent is a bit distracting.

ETA: Just watched a bit further in... not mincing words (and she has a couple side comments about Syria that are a tad zany).

ETA2: Reposted because on finishing the video, it's pretty well accurate as far as gamergate goes; though her opinions on Syria are a tad weird.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#35]
One more interesting story, from a few months back:

http://www.dailydot.com/fandom/anita-sarkeesian-fanart-plagiarism-theft/

artist Tamara Smith was something of an Internet hero: The woman who gave Reddit a real reason to be mad at Anita Sarkeesian by claiming that the controversial Tropes vs Women creator stole her fanart.

How do I deal with my artwork being stolen?" she asked in a Tumblr post.

I don’t know how to approach this. On one hand, the project had a message I can identify with. On the other, no credit was given, my signature was removed, and they made $150k+ ...

Silliest Part: they stole my fanart (drawn by a me, a woman and freelance video game artist) to use in marketing material to illustrate sexism in video games.

View Quote

ETA: And then of course there's this - tl:dw jump to 1:00 for "I'm not a fan of videogames":

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
Is this...real?

Because it sounds like Days of our Basement Dwelling Lives, to me.

I dunno, maybe it's me (as I pre-date video games) but this is some sad, lame, sorry-assed shit.

And newsflash, children...people fuck, connive, and buy their way to the top in EVERY industry (and government). Getting angry at the person who does this without realizing they're supplying what is demanded is retarded...stop buying what they're selling and go outside once in awhile.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Is this...real?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this...real?  

I dunno, maybe it's me (as I pre-date video games) but this is some sad, lame, sorry-assed shit.

And newsflash, children...people fuck, connive, and buy their way to the top in EVERY industry (and government). Getting angry at the person who does this without realizing they're supplying what is demanded is retarded...stop buying what they're selling and go outside once in awhile.

So basically journalistic integrity and opposition to political bullying in one more industry is for fags. Got it.

If you don't care, why comment?

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Nineteen seconds of some shithead's creative editing was enough.

She's not a fan of video games. I heard it the first time she said it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this...real?  

So basically journalistic integrity and opposition to political bullying in one more industry is for fags. Got it.

Journalistic integrity?
REALLY?????

Over video games?

SERIOUSLY!?!

Look, if this thread were about journalistic integrity over Fast and Furious or Benghazi or something...I dunno...IMPORTANT, I might be just as outraged. But no...it's about video games...wait, no, really it's about people having sex to get what they want...

Because, well, that's never been done, right?

Why comment? To point out that you guys are more worked up about who's fucking whom instead of shit that really matters...

Ya know...I'm mocking.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I hear you, but I also have no doubt that Republicans and conservatives will fuck up this opportunity to recruit young people.
View Quote

LIBERTARIAN BREAKOUT OPPORTUNITY!!!

Sorry, I just had to drop this turd in the punchbowl...

TC
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
-
Is this...real?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
-
Is this...real?  

A lot of the particulars are fascinating for the in-crowd for a lot of other reasons - especially for what they do signify.

But the short version is that one scandal about sex for favors turned into exposing GameJournoPros - a game journalist mailing list like Ezra Klein's JournoList.  While Ezra Klein made sure nothing bad was written about Obama and all criticism was hushed up on every front, and every critic was condemned by a torrent of commentary and articles deriding them... this is the same thing.

Just this time, it's a cultural, rather than political action.

Predating video games may throw off your perspective here a bit.  Keep in mind that a lot of modern video games, especially those with a linear story, are often just like interactive films - except they're ones you're guiding yourself through - for 10 or 20 or 50 or 100 hours worth of game play.  It becomes immersion, even for those who are just casual players.

The question then becomes how are all these game "journalists" influencing games being made.  In the Quinn case, there was a group called Fine Young Capitalists that went out to connect game writers and programmers with women who had ideas for games.  Woman brings the idea, FYC brings the skills, game gets made.  Quinn criticized them for being transphobic because they only wanted to work with women... and she being the one who's in bed (figuratively and literally) with games "journalists".

TFYC attempted to launch the women-only game jam early in 2014. After independent game developer Zoe Quinn learned of the project, she accused it of being exploitative towards women and transphobic, prompting criticism of the group on social media.[5][6] TFYC stated that the winner would receive a portion of the profits with most of it going to charity, while all rights would remain with the women who submitted proposals, and that their transgender policy only said someone had to have identified as female prior to the contest as a means to prevent men from lying about their gender identity in order to participate. Social media attention remained negative and TFYC found itself losing financial support and struggling to gain media coverage due to the criticism.[6][1][4] After some delay to review the inclusiveness of their policies and finding nothing wrong, they opened the project up to submissions on March 28, 2014

So, you have some social justice warrior type who's got hooks into game journalists - who all have their own incentuous social justice networks - condemning a group of gamers working to make games for women... because they weren't SJW enough because they wanted to make games for women and not trans/otherkin shims or whatever.

There's an exposed entire culture of video game "journalists" and "critics" who have little to no interest in video games, but have every interest in using immersive media that Joe and Jane Average may use for escapism as an SJW tool to spread their own social justice messages.

The interest in 4chan's change is again, a change of culture.  Due to some back-room stuff, an internet message board that was pretty much free suddenly changed all its policies almost overnight.  Later, when gamergate came to light, it was rabidly deleted by moderators there.  Given its status as a place where anyone could say just about anything, it came as quite a shock to the posters there.  Of course, it's not limited to 4chan - it's also reddit, Neogaf, and a dozen other websites with either specific or peripheral interest in videogames.

Think if Jerry Tsai, Jim Zumbo, Dan Cooper, and Troy were actively working to shit on AR owners and crowdfunding their "ARs are babykilling machineguns" videos with money solicited from anti-gunners.  If every criticism of their actions was fired back at with "this is just a bunch of racist rednecks yelling about nothing", and if rather than just four of them, there were forty of them, or four-hundred of them.  Now imagine if the Avilas got contacted by Bloomberg, who offered them a billion dollars to change the direction of ARFcom... and the mirror-universe Avilas agreed and overnight all the mods were replaced and the tech forums suddenly shrank only to discussions of how to make your stuff SAFE act compliant.  And if you asked about what was going on in GD you suddenly found yourself banned.  That's the equivalent of what RandomGuy1911A1 was referencing.

Some of it is nerd drama, but a lot of it is also a lot of websites that were formerly free speech havens suddenly turning against their own readers/posters/members - violently and actively, as part of an orchestrated campaign.  And with GameJournoPros - we know it was an orchestrated campaign.

Yeah, a lot of it's nerd stuff, but it's also kind of a big deal, because it's a handful of games "journalists" working behind the scenes use their influence to control what's culturally acceptable and what's not.  They got found out, they got found out big-time, and now they're in full spin-mode using their public communications degrees to the fullest to convince people that it is nothing - or that it's only racist sexist homophobes saying anything - and that #notyourshield (which is all nonwhite/female/other people who are pro gamergate) simply don't exist.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
-

Journalistic integrity?REALLY?????
  Over video games?
SERIOUSLY!?!
Look, if this thread were about journalistic integrity over Fast and Furious or Benghazi or something...I dunno...IMPORTANT, I might be just as outraged. But no...it's about video games...wait, no, really it's about people having sex to get what they want...
Why comment? To point out that you guys are more worked up about who's fucking whom instead of shit that really matters...
View Quote

It's symptomatic of the culture.

No one is concerned about who's fucking who.  The who's fucking who just happened to be the catalyst that exposed all this stuff.

While we've seen shit for journalistic integrity over more serious matters, culture is still an issue.  Bill Whittle's "where do we go from here" speech makes the point quite well - if you win the culture, you win the elections, you win the nation - all by default.

Also like Ed Morrissey at HotAir noted, and Internet Aristocrat mentioned even before going on HotAir - this is the stuff the right has seen with JournoList and such - this is the same kind of aggressive leftist propagandizing we've seen on larger scales.

If the social justice warrior types have free reign over what is and isn't in video games, which are a big part of culture for a lot of Americans (especially impressionable kids who are the future), then that's one more group they control - except right now this is the opportunity for people to see what that aspect of cultural marxist SJW wants, and what they will do.

The same people who disregard F&F and Benghazi as "right wing phony scandals" are the same people who are pushing against gamergate - they're ideologically identical.

But this is something different because the Vivian Jameses of the world who are just playing games and don't want to be told that their favorite game is racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/otherkinphobic and must be cancelled in favor of the non-game DepressionQuest are the folks who can be reached with this right now.  They're people who are on the cusp of realizing that there really is a collectivist political-correctness SJW brigade that actively is out to get them.  They can see it.

They have a narrow worldview right now because they have accepted the crap the media throws at them.  They don't question NBC over not reporting on F&F until 2011 because it's out of their frame of reference and they're low-info voters anyway... but gamergate is a direct assault on on their world.  It's an intrusion into their own escapism - where someone is coming right into their console or PC and telling them how they should think.

It's a different kind of big deal, but yes, it is a big deal.  Those who've been watching it closely find it to be a very big deal.  Imagine trying to explain F&F to an NBC viewer who thinks it's a phony scandal made up by racists to go after Eric Holder... they may just be wholly ignorant of what's going on and why it's an issue.  But it also doesn't always lend to patience.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this...real?  

Journalistic integrity?
REALLY?????

Over video games?

SERIOUSLY!?!

Ya know...I'm mocking.
This about another industry being bullied by SJWs and a small minority of thought police, and it's an industry close to our kids. It does matter very much.

And if you think corruption is ho-hum, you have issues.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

TC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hear you, but I also have no doubt that Republicans and conservatives will fuck up this opportunity to recruit young people.

TC

lol

Actually, you can see it in responses over the last 4 pages that there are people who are missing the opportunity.  Some maybe because they're short on data, others maybe just because they're inclined to yell "NERDS!" and then wholly ignore the fact that video games do influence culture.

Yes, when you have one of the highest-rated most-played games that is essentially a leftist parody of racist America as the villain at the same time people in real life are dressing up in tri-corner hats to protest taxation... I'm sure themes and images like this that are central to that kind of incredibly immersive video game don't have any influence on low-information voter players and their opinions outside the game:

Seriously, it's a culture thing, and it is a big deal on its own.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This about another industry being bullied by SJWs and a small minority of thought police, and it's an industry close to our kids. It does matter very much.

View Quote

It's also close to the low-information voter adult who uses games as a form of escapism from their 9 to 5.

If we had anti-gun messages throughout games being pushed by Bradys, GD would be apoplectic.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Tldr

All those fuckers should just get outside and play a game of kickball to settle it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this...real?  

Journalistic integrity?
REALLY?????

Over video games?

SERIOUSLY!?!

Ya know...I'm mocking.

And if you think corruption is ho-hum, you have issues.

I think corruption surrounding Mario Cart (COD or Borderlands, etc) is ho hum.

It's entertainment...it doesn't affect my income, health, choice, freedom

So yeah, it's insignificant.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

No one is concerned about who's fucking who. The who's fucking who just happened to be the catalyst that exposed all this stuff.

While we've seen shit for journalistic integrity over more serious matters, culture is still an issue.  Bill Whittle's "where do we go from here" speech makes the point quite well - if you win the culture, you win the elections, you win the nation - all by default.

Also like Ed Morrissey at HotAir noted, and Internet Aristocrat mentioned even before going on HotAir - this is the stuff the right has seen with JournoList and such - this is the same kind of aggressive leftist propagandizing we've seen on larger scales.

If the social justice warrior types have free reign over what is and isn't in video games, which are a big part of culture for a lot of Americans (especially impressionable kids who are the future), then that's one more group they control - except right now this is the opportunity for people to see what that aspect of cultural marxist SJW wants, and what they will do.

The same people who disregard F&F and Benghazi as "right wing phony scandals" are the same people who are pushing against gamergate - they're ideologically identical.

But this is something different because the Vivian Jameses of the world who are just playing games and don't want to be told that their favorite game is racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/otherkinphobic and must be cancelled in favor of the non-game DepressionQuest are the folks who can be reached with this right now.  They're people who are on the cusp of realizing that there really is a collectivist political-correctness SJW brigade that actively is out to get them.  They can see it.

They have a narrow worldview right now because they have accepted the crap the media throws at them.  They don't question NBC over not reporting on F&F until 2011 because it's out of their frame of reference and they're low-info voters anyway... but gamergate is a direct assault on on their world.  It's an intrusion into their own escapism - where someone is coming right into their console or PC and telling them how they should think.

It's a different kind of big deal, but yes, it is a big deal.  Those who've been watching it closely find it to be a very big deal.  Imagine trying to explain F&F to an NBC viewer who thinks it's a phony scandal made up by racists to go after Eric Holder... they may just be wholly ignorant of what's going on and why it's an issue.  But it also doesn't always lend to patience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-

Journalistic integrity?REALLY?????

Over video games?

SERIOUSLY!?!

No one is concerned about who's fucking who. The who's fucking who just happened to be the catalyst that exposed all this stuff.

Bullshit!

It's all about sex...if this woman hadn't fucked her way to the top, nobody would bat an eye...if she were a man who paid off people, with cash, you'd all be, "Hey, he worked the system...good for him, exploiting the loophole and others' greed for his own ends..." But because the traded commodity was poontang you're all in a tizzy.

I think it's hilarious...that what was between that woman's legs is THIS important to people---to those who furthered her value and to those here. I think basically, it pisses men off that their gender is so easily bought. If I were a game reviewer, there would need to be some serious cash involved to buy me off.

After all, a penis can be bought at a novelty shop for $7.99...

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I think corruption surrounding Mario Cart (COD or Borderlands, etc) is ho hum.

View Quote

It's entertainment...it doesn't affect my income, health, choice, freedom

So yeah, it's insignificant.

Get back to us 15-25 years from now when kids, who have grown up having their entire thinking dictated by leftists via social engineering that will permeate every aspect of our culture, start to vote. It very much affects what you listed.
You are being very short-sighted.

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top