User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit that was sad. I've gotta do something to cheer myself up now...

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, Glen enjoyed his time with them, said he could play bass, but he was not a bass player, and didn't really like the harmonies.
As per my posts, I was born in 1960, liked him and his show, got into rock, kind of forgot about him.
Just amazed at his skill on the old guit-fiddle!

ETA>BiggiBen, I think I get what you meant, to be a part of one of the most influential bands ever, you'd have to be the best.
View Quote

Yup.  Super talented.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shit that was sad. I've gotta do something to cheer myself up now...

View Quote

You can always listen to his daughter play the banjo.....Cheers me right up

i Potato
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Country guitarists have always been underrated.
Vince Gill, Steve Wariner, and Ricky Skaggs come to mind.
View Quote

Chet Atkins, Roy Clark, Jerry Reed, Keith Urban, Brad Paisley as well (though I don't think much of the music the latter two put out).
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#8]
What a goddam shame and to think his music crossed over to top 40 in the 60s. He's going downhill and this country has had a40 year head start.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember his show as a kid.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Also played studio work for The Monkees
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Again Glen Campbell was a member of the "Wrecking Crew" the group of studio hired guns that played your songs on your record if you wanted a hit.
Specifically when the label didn't feel your skills could be trusted....

Members of 'The Wrecking Crew' included:
bass: Max Bennett, Chuck Berghofer, Jimmy Bond, Red Callender, Carol Kaye, Larry Knechtel, Joe Osborn, Bill Pitman, Ray Pohlman, Lyle Ritz
conductor/arranger: Jack Nitzsche
drums: Hal Blaine, Jim Gordon, Jim Keltner, Earl Palmer
guitar: Bill Aken, Doug Bartenfeld, James Burton, Glen Campbell, Al Casey, Jerry Cole, Mike Deasy, John Goldthwaite, Rene Hall, Carol Kaye, Barney Kessel, Don Peake, Bill Pitman, Ray Pohlman, Howard Roberts, Irv Rubins, Louie Shelton, Billy Strange, Tommy Tedesco, Al Vescovo
harmonica: Tommy Morgan
keyboards: Al De Lory, Larry Knechtel, Mike Melvoin, Don Randi, Mac Rebennack (aka Dr. John), Mike (Michel) Rubini, Leon Russell
percussion: Frank Capp, Gary L. Coleman, Julius Wechter
saxophone: Gene Cipriano, Steve Douglas, Jim Horn, Plas Johnson, Jay Migliori, Nino Tempo
trombone: Lou Blackburn, Richard "Slyde" Hyde, Lew McCreary
trumpet: Bud Brisbois, Roy Caton, Chuck Findley, Ollie Mitchell, Tony Terran
vocals: Ron Hicklin Singers often performed backup vocals on many of the same songs on which The Wrecking Crew had played instrumental tracks. Though not an official member, Sonny Bono did hang out and contribute to sessions recorded by the Crew.

Glen Campbell later achieved solo fame as a singer-guitarist in the 1960s and 1970s, and Leon Russell and Mac Rebennack (as Dr. John) both went on to be successful songwriters and had hit singles and albums. Also, Nino Tempo with his sister Carol (under her stage name April Stevens) had a U.S. #1 hit song in 1963, "Deep Purple". Otherwise, the best-known 'members' of this unofficial group are bassist/guitarist Carol Kaye, one of the few female instrumentalists to achieve success in the recording industry at the time; and drummer Hal Blaine, who has played on tens of thousands of recording sessions, including Sinatra's, and is believed by some to be the most recorded drummer in history. Among his vast list of recordings, Blaine is credited with having played on at least forty U.S. #1 hits and more than 150 Top Ten records.

Al Casey worked for many years as a session musician. Jim Gordon also drummed on many well known recording sessions and was the drummer in the group Derek and the Dominos. Gordon also toured with Frank Zappa on the Grand Wazoo tour with Jay Migliori. Ray Pohlman doubled on both bass and guitar, and started heading sessions in the 1950s with a regular group of musicians including, Mel Pollen, Earl Palmer, Bill Aken (aka Zane Ashton), Al Casey, and others. Pohlman would also become the musical director for the TV show Shindig!, while Aken became musical director on "Shock Theatre," both shows being nationally televised. Aken was the musical director on the critically acclaimed syndicated radio show "The Country Call Line" in the mid-1980s and also conceived, arranged, and produced the music for the very first 'Farm-Aid' radio special in collaboration with Willie Nelson and LeRoy Van Dyke.

Jim Keltner would go on to a successful career as a session drummer for much of the 1970's, '80s', and '90's, playing with Ringo Starr's All-Starr band, and playing drums on both albums by the supergroup Traveling Wilburys, (where he is credited as "Buster Sidebury.")

The Wrecking Crew worked long hours and 15-hour days were not unusual, although the rewards were great — Carol Kaye has commented that during her peak as a session musician, she earned more per year than the President.

The Wrecking Crew were featured in the 95-minute 2008 film The Wrecking Crew directed by Tommy Tedesco's son, Denny Tedesco. The film has screened at several festivals and was featured on National Public Radio, but it has not yet been commercially released due to the numerous song rights and the legal difference between merely showing a film and actually manufacturing it for sale.[7]

The Wrecking Crew, or at least part of it, was the house band for 1964's The T.A.M.I. Show. During shots of the right side of the stage, one can often spot musical director Jack Nitzsche, drummer Hal Blaine, electric bassist Jimmy Bond, guitarists Tommy Tedesco, Bill Aken, and Glen Campbell, upright bassist Lyle Ritz, pianist Leon Russell, saxophonist Plas Johnson, and others.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Great info, Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Now I'm watching his YouTube songs.

Yep, really sad.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#15]
a couple of my favs:
Country Boy
Still within the sound of my voice.

I believe he also had some sort of connection with Elvis in music?????
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yep, good singer and writer.
I was born in 1960, fortunately, have eclectic musical tastes, one of my favorites though.
Little boy listening to his old tube radio at night, the best old days.
View Quote

Reminds me of my dad and my mom back when we still had a happy family. They both LOVED Glen Campell and his records, plus Elvis, Marty Robbins, etc were always playing in our house.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Whoa! heartbreaker indeed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A real heart breaker.

"I'm Not Going to Miss You".

https://screen.yahoo.com/vevo-country/im-not-gonna-miss-142315234.html

Whoa! heartbreaker indeed.

Yeah. Powerful stuff.

"Wichita Lineman" is American Existentialist philosophy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:40:01 AM EDT
[#18]
My Mom always tells me about the time when I was four and walked around the house in my cowboy boots singing Rhinestone Cowboy.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top