Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll just quote the second post below and tell you that, with respect to your first post, I absolutely disagree with your comments about context. Of course context matters, but I did not quote the passages out of context. Still, but you have not addressed what the Scriptures say.

You have added Paul's next thought to the passage from Colossians 1 and said that I took what I posted out of context. If the point of the passage I quoted is Paul's desire to be perfect--complete--in Christ, what did Paul mean by, "And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight—if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister"?

And yes, Peter was talking about false teachers, but do you disagree that those false teachers had "escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" and that "they are once again entangled in them" and that "the latter end is worse for them than at the beginning"? What do you make of that? How did these false teachers escape the pollutions of the world if not through Christ? Can people who do not believe escape the pollutions of the world through simple knowledge?

Saying that I took the passages out of context is a common way to avoid discussing the Scripture I posted. I get that all the time, along with "you misinterpreted it" or "the translator got it wrong" or "those verses don't really belong in the Bible anyway." All these are simply devices used to move the argument away from Scripture that is problematic to a favored doctrine.

Also, speaking of context, you began your quote of Colossians in the middle of a sentence, so you didn't include the whole context. See how that works?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's foolish to say man's will is more powerful than God's - which is what those who say salvation can be lost are saying.

"But...who needs to have faith in order to be saved, God or man?"

God doesn't need to be saved.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1 Peter 1
3 ¶ Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Those who subscribe to "you can lose it" will read vs 5 and say, but you can lose your faith."

But the verse isn't about man's faith.  GOD's faith keeps saved sinners saved.

Ga 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Php 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

This whole notion of "you can lose it" is MAN centered, not GOD centered.

Nobody has said that man is more powerful than God. That would be foolish.

But...who needs to have faith in order to be saved, God or man?

It's foolish to say man's will is more powerful than God's - which is what those who say salvation can be lost are saying.

You said before that people, I guess like me, would say that it is possible for a man to lose his faith. Is that possible, and if so, what happens then? My father once had faith, but over the last 20 years, he decided that he was wrong. Is my father saved even though he now denies that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Join the Orthodox Church of the Constantinople Patriarchate. Our wine may be mediocre, but we're currently branching out to whiskey.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You ask a hard question, I will give you a hard answer.

Your father "thought" he was saved, but he was not.  He may have attended church regularly.  He may have worked hard at church.  But he never was "born again".  If he can now say with total honesty, "I do not believe Jesus is God", then he was never born again.

That's what I believe.  I do not mean it unkindly.  Believe as you please.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You said before that people, I guess like me, would say that it is possible for a man to lose his faith. Is that possible, and if so, what happens then? My father once had faith, but over the last 20 years, he decided that he was wrong. Is my father saved even though he now denies that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God?

Your father "thought" he was saved, but he was not.  He may have attended church regularly.  He may have worked hard at church.  But he never was "born again".  If he can now say with total honesty, "I do not believe Jesus is God", then he was never born again.

So are you saying that God gives us freewill to choose to accept Christ or not, and if we truly do then God takes away our freewill?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate your willingness to give me the hard answer. More people should be willing to do so and I don't at all take it unkindly. Time and again you've demonstrated that you don't do "unkindly."

Unfortunately, I believe the same thing about where he's headed if he continues in his faithlessness. It is a hard thing, but it's the truth of the matter and sadly it's not up to either one of us.

That said, what kind of security can you possibly enjoy if it is possible to "think" you are saved, but you really are not? Isn't that the very definition of false security, or insecurity? It turns out that Dad was not secure at all, right?

How is a believer to have security in the knowledge that he is saved if he can't ever be sure if his belief is really real, given that he can't predict the future and he knows there might come a time when he doesn't believe anymore?

While I don't believe at all in once-saved-always-saved (unless you view salvation as what it is--the eternal result of being judged righteous, and once God has judged, there is no undoing it), I do feel absolutely secure because I do believe, and I do strive to learn more and more about God and to try to do better and better at making my will match His will. On the other hand, I know that I can also abandon that desire to live according to God's instruction, thus abandoning the promise that God has made to me, and that I know He will keep if I will, as Paul said, "continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and [am] not moved away from the hope of the gospel which [I] heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven."

ETA: Drat. Once again, I've repeated something Zhukov said or posted. Sorry about that. Again.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Be Lutheran, we've got Lefse and coffee.
View Quote

Don't forget beer.

The LCMS church I'm going to is having an Octoberfest party and are also holding beermaking lessons.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Don't forget beer.

The LCMS church I'm going to is having an Octoberfest party and are also holding beermaking lessons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget beer.

Figures. Buncha Germans.

(if you knew my full name, you'd know I don't mean that in a Germans are bad kind of way)
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I grew up without religion or ever attending church as a kid. I've always believed in God and I'm far from an agnostic or atheist. For the past couple years I've been looking for a church. I've visited (with my wife) about 7 churches or so. Some Pentecostal, Baptist, ect. There seems to be a common theme with all these churches/ pastors that I've noticed. It's once your saved, you can do no wrong and it really doesn't matter how you act in life....your going to heaven and EVERYONE else (Jew's, Mormons, Hindus...) are going to hell. I just cant get into this kind of thinking and It's frustrating. I also believe many born agains do believe this, as I know some really crappy ones who are not good people at all but sit in that church every Sunday and give a lot of money to the church. I know there are many good born agains doing a lot of good in this world... I'm not stupid. I just seem to know of a lot of crappy ones. If it was one or two churches that preached this I wouldn't be writing this. I just can't believe that someone who is a Jew  that lives a good life, treats everyone well, is going to hell just because he is a Jew. I think we are judged on our actions more than our faith...I think above all God wants us to be good to one another and that's why I can't attend these churches.

Thoughts?
View Quote

I'll bet they all ask, "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior?" To me, it's a code phrase. It's always asked that way. You are right, people of that mind tend to believe it's the acceptance part that "saves" them.

There is a difference between redemption and salvation, and I am not prepared to expound on it. But look into it and see if you find the meaning you are looking for.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

100%, okay.  

Funny, as I hardly ever see born again Christians that are like that.  I guess I have a different quality of friends than you do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just my personal experience, but, every born again I have ever known has been a complete asshole that thinks they can anything they want as long as they go to church and ask god for forgiveness

100%, okay.  

Funny, as I hardly ever see born again Christians that are like that.  I guess I have a different quality of friends than you do.

No the problem is they usually find one person who one time claimed to be a Born again Christian, but is a complete hypocrite, so they determined that all claiming born again Christians are.

I am. Baptist saved out of Mormonism over 20 years ago.  I am around many Baptist and have rarely seen anything like the OP and several others claim.  I have seen plenty of hypocrites that did not hang around long though.

Just spent 5 days with 42 Baptist preachers, pastors,  evangelists, and a few young men, visiting historical Baptist sites in New England, and saw nothing as described by the OP and others.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Figures. Buncha Germans.

(if you knew my full name, you'd know I don't mean that in a Germans are bad kind of way)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget beer.

Figures. Buncha Germans.

No offense taken,

I always found us, for all of our ultra-Conservative reputation, to be a pretty laid back and low-maintenance denomination.

(BTW, my name is about as German as you can get without sounding like you're trying to work up a loogie.)

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would suspect that you are a born again Christian.  If so, is there any possibility that you would one day "reject Jesus"?  Do you feel like that is a real possibility to you?

Such a thought would never cross my mind.  I know Jesus as Savior and can feel him in my heart.  I am eternally secure because of Him and what He does, not because of anything I can do.  I couldn't save myself and I sure can't keep myself saved.

I "know that I know that I know".

My only job in all of this is to be obedient and grow in Christ, becoming more like Him as I live.  That doesn't "keep me saved", but it is the evidence that I have been born again.

Works are the evidence that we are born again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I appreciate your willingness to give me the hard answer. More people should be willing to do so and I don't at all take it unkindly. Time and again you've demonstrated that you don't do "unkindly."

Unfortunately, I believe the same thing about where he's headed if he continues in his faithlessness. It is a hard thing, but it's the truth of the matter and sadly it's not up to either one of us.

That said, what kind of security can you possibly enjoy if it is possible to "think" you are saved, but you really are not? Isn't that the very definition of false security, or insecurity? It turns out that Dad was not secure at all, right?

How is a believer to have security in the knowledge that he is saved if he can't ever be sure if his belief is really real, given that he can't predict the future and he knows there might come a time when he doesn't believe anymore?

I would suspect that you are a born again Christian.  If so, is there any possibility that you would one day "reject Jesus"?  Do you feel like that is a real possibility to you?

Such a thought would never cross my mind.  I know Jesus as Savior and can feel him in my heart.  I am eternally secure because of Him and what He does, not because of anything I can do.  I couldn't save myself and I sure can't keep myself saved.

I "know that I know that I know".

My only job in all of this is to be obedient and grow in Christ, becoming more like Him as I live.  That doesn't "keep me saved", but it is the evidence that I have been born again.

Works are the evidence that we are born again.

As you said, I can't imagine it. In fact, I always feel a sort of desperation to know God better and become closer with Him.

I also know the same thing as you, that I cannot "keep myself saved" by doing enough good works or something. However, I also know from reading the Bible that it is possible for me to withdraw from the covenant that gives me the hope of the promise of the eternal inheritance.

That's also an interesting take on all this--have you ever noticed that the New Testament talks lots about the "promise" that we as Christians have? You might be able to correct me on this, but I do not think that the Bible anywhere says that we receive this inheritance while we live in this temporal creation. That promise is something that is fulfilled in eternity when we are judged righteous in Christ.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No the problem is they usually find one person who one time claimed to be a Born again Christian, but is a complete hypocrite, so they determined that all claiming born again Christians are.

I am. Baptist saved out of Mormonism over 20 years ago.  I am around many Baptist and have rarely seen anything like the OP and several others claim.  I have seen plenty of hypocrites that did not hang around long though.

Just spent 5 days with 42 Baptism preachers, pastors,  evangelists, and a few young men, visiting historical Baptist sites in New England, and saw nothing as described by the OP and others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just my personal experience, but, every born again I have ever known has been a complete asshole that thinks they can anything they want as long as they go to church and ask god for forgiveness

100%, okay.  

Just spent 5 days with 42 Baptism preachers, pastors,  evangelists, and a few young men, visiting historical Baptist sites in New England, and saw nothing as described by the OP and others.

And therefore, those things don't exist, right?

Since nobody has yet offered any sort of commentary that might educate me on the true meaning of the Scripture that I posted earlier, I'll ask you. If you care to comment, you'll find that Scripture in a brown font in a really long post of mine--you can't miss it if you look for it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Since nobody has yet offered any sort of commentary that might educate me on the true meaning of the Scripture that I posted earlier, I'll ask you. If you care to comment, you'll find that Scripture in a brown font in a really long post of mine--you can't miss it if you look for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100%, okay.  

I am on my phone riding home so it is hard to read but if I understand the main point I will try.

Are there hypocritical men who are in fact saved, not living a life for Christ? Yes plenty.

Since being saved can I live my life contrary to God's word? Yes I can. I would be wrong and would expect for God to punish me in some way.

Are there men who claim salvation and never had it? Yes there are, way to many.

Basically are there hypocrites in Baptist churches?  Yep every single one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am on my phone riding home so it is hard to read but if I understand the main point I will try.

Are there hypocritical men who are in fact saved, not living a life for Christ? Yes plenty.

Since being saved can I live my life contrary to God's word? Yes I can. I would be wrong and would expect for God to punish me in some way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100%, okay.  

Hah, be safe! Even Arfcom (and GD at that) is not worth getting in a wreck!

As to the part I bolded, I get a chuckle every time I hear someone talk about how Christians are hypocrites. Your response is exactly the response that comes to my mind.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I didn't mean to slight you, I just lost track.

Do you mean this one?

2 Peter 2:20-22 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: “A dog returns to his own vomit,” and, “a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire.”

I ( and most other Baptists) believe Paul is describing people that "join a church", and "do church things", and hear the Gospel preached and enjoy the worship and fellowship.  But they are never born again.

And then they retreat to their old ways, and they are in the position of  "it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness".  They "knew" about salvation, but they were never born again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't mean to slight you, I just lost track.

Do you mean this one?

2 Peter 2:20-22 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: “A dog returns to his own vomit,” and, “a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire.”

I ( and most other Baptists) believe Paul is describing people that "join a church", and "do church things", and hear the Gospel preached and enjoy the worship and fellowship.  But they are never born again.

And then they retreat to their old ways, and they are in the position of  "it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness".  They "knew" about salvation, but they were never born again.

See? Now there's another can of worms. How can I join the church that Christ established?

Answer: I cannot join it. The Lord adds me to His church as I am taught in Acts 2:47, which reads:

Acts 2:46-47
So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

I can join the Baptist Church and I can join the Episcopal Church, but the Lord has to add me to His church. Also note the use of the imperfect tense with respect to salvation--"those who were being saved." It indicates that their salvation was not, at that time, complete.

So yes, I can absolutely join any church established by men without regard to my soul's condition, but the Lord only adds me to His church if I am, in fact, "being saved."
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I grew up without religion or ever attending church as a kid. I've always believed in God and I'm far from an agnostic or atheist. For the past couple years I've been looking for a church. I've visited (with my wife) about 7 churches or so. Some Pentecostal, Baptist, ect. There seems to be a common theme with all these churches/ pastors that I've noticed. It's once your saved, you can do no wrong and it really doesn't matter how you act in life....your going to heaven and EVERYONE else (Jew's, Mormans, Hindus...) are going to hell. I just cant get into this kind of thinking and It's frustrating. I also believe many born agains do believe this, as I know some really crappy ones who are not good people at all but sit in that church every sunday and give a lot of money to the church. I know there are many good born agains doing a lot of good in this world... I'm not stupid. I just seem to know of a lot of crappy ones. If it was one or two churches that preached this I wouldn't be writing this. I just can't believe that someone who is a Jew  that lives a good life, treats everyone well, is going to hell just because he is a Jew. I think we are judged on our actions more than our faith...I think above all God wants us to be good to one another and thats why I can't attend these churches.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Let me help out:

To a multitude of Christian sects acceptance of Jesus is the way to heaven.   Heaven is being in the presence of God, you can not simply be a good person and get there, you must accept Jesus as the the son of god and as "your savior".   This is not damnation of huge populations.   It is simply indicating that the choice must be made to follow the lead of Christ.  It is the duty of Christians to spread that message to others and offer them this choice as well which is why Christians tend towards evangelism and commit that greatest of secular sins "pushing religion".

It does not make sense to claim that one is saved and yet willfully act in ways that are "crappy".   It is also clear that no man is going to be judged "good enough" to get to heaven minus the Jesus angle.  I've always heard it explained that a person has some serious soul searching to do if they both believe they are saved and continue to willfully disobey the teachings of the bible and the commandments.  Just like if your kid says they are sorry for stealing your money, the honesty of that will be called into question if they continue to steal every time they want some extra cash.

It's really not that hard to fathom and I'm not Christian.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Let me help out:

To a multitude of Christian sects acceptance of Jesus is the way to heaven.   Heaven is being in the presence of God, you can not simply be a good person and get there, you must accept Jesus as the the son of god and as "your savior".   This is not damnation of huge populations.   It is simply indicating that the choice must be made to follow the lead of Christ.  It is the duty of Christians to spread that message to others and offer them this choice as well which is why Christians tend towards evangelism and commit that greatest of secular sins "pushing religion".

It does not make sense to claim that one is saved and yet willfully act in ways that are "crappy".   It is also clear that no man is going to be judged "good enough" to get to heaven minus the Jesus angle.  I've always heard it explained that a person has some serious soul searching to do if they both believe they are saved and continue to willfully disobey the teachings of the bible and the commandments.  Just like if your kid says they are sorry for stealing your money, the honesty of that will be called into question if they continue to steal every time they want some extra cash.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I grew up without religion or ever attending church as a kid. I've always believed in God and I'm far from an agnostic or atheist. For the past couple years I've been looking for a church. I've visited (with my wife) about 7 churches or so. Some Pentecostal, Baptist, ect. There seems to be a common theme with all these churches/ pastors that I've noticed. It's once your saved, you can do no wrong and it really doesn't matter how you act in life....your going to heaven and EVERYONE else (Jew's, Mormans, Hindus...) are going to hell. I just cant get into this kind of thinking and It's frustrating. I also believe many born agains do believe this, as I know some really crappy ones who are not good people at all but sit in that church every sunday and give a lot of money to the church. I know there are many good born agains doing a lot of good in this world... I'm not stupid. I just seem to know of a lot of crappy ones. If it was one or two churches that preached this I wouldn't be writing this. I just can't believe that someone who is a Jew  that lives a good life, treats everyone well, is going to hell just because he is a Jew. I think we are judged on our actions more than our faith...I think above all God wants us to be good to one another and thats why I can't attend these churches.

Thoughts?

Let me help out:

Yeah, that's a pretty good summary. You should consider becoming a Christian. Just sayin'...

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I am reminded of my friend Pointman12, whose sig line is just great:

"A filthy sinner, saved by Grace."

That's me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As to the part I bolded, I get a chuckle every time I hear someone talk about how Christians are hypocrites. Your response is exactly the response that comes to my mind.

That's me.

Yep, me too, and Amen!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep, me too, and Amen!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's me.

Yep, me too, and Amen!

Hallelujah ain't God great.

I ain't the one driving Mastadon, I am the one trying not to let my hot dog and French fries come back up from lunch.  The driver has a lot of experience driving through Iraq and Afghanistan.  I keep teasing him that I95 is not Bagdad.  But hey my prayer life is caught up.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I ain't the one driving Mastadon, I am the one trying not to let my hot dog and French fries come back up from lunch.  The driver has a lot of experience driving through Iraq and Afghanistan.  I keep teasing him that I95 is not Bagdad.  But hey my prayer life is caught up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's me.

Yep, me too, and Amen!

Hahaha! God go with you, my friend.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
So where exactly does it list the sin "badness" levels in the bible?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem some people (me) have with that is if "all sin is equal to God" then a serial killing child rapist could say the same thing and it would be just as true.

That teaching (all sin is equal) must be a Roman Catholic thing, as Baptists do not believe that at all.

It is true that "all sin separates us from God".   But all sins are not "equal".  Murder is worse than telling a lie.

So where exactly does it list the sin "badness" levels in the bible?
One passage I can think of is when Jesus speaks to anyone harming a hair on a childs head.  It would better that they were thrown into the sea with a millstone around their neck.  Luke 17:2

That alone seems to suggest Jesus takes that sin a bit more serious.  Maybe I am wrong but it is surely my interpretation, you are entitle to your own.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have never met a Christian that thought they could do no wrong.
Are you sure you are not making that up ?
View Quote

Yup..and most Christians I know...including myself will be the first to tell you...I'm not a good Christian....just a work in progress.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Good, some Lutheran hate, I always feel so left out of these threads
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you believe there is a God and you want to know more about him, you need to go to a reliable source just like with anything else.  None of this "I think God should be like this or like that" stuff.  

That reliable source is how God himself chose to tell us about himself, about our problem (sin), and about his solution to it (forgiveness for Christ's sake).  That source is the Bible.

What you are looking for is a church body which has a great deal of respect for the scriptures and which trains its pastors to know the Bible and read it in it's original languages.

I strongly recommend the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.  Even there, you have to be careful to find a good one.  I highly recommend you go to issuesetc.org and go to the "find a church" option to find a good church congregation and pastor near you.   There, you will find the answers you're looking for.

Lutherans?

A "Reliable Source?"

Good, some Lutheran hate, I always feel so left out of these threads

woot! get me some Lutheran hate...  but only those ELCA guys...they's weird.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#33]
You guy's can always listen to my pastor right here

http://www.buzzsprout.com/944
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:06:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'll just quote the second post below and tell you that, with respect to your first post, I absolutely disagree with your comments about context. Of course context matters, but I did not quote the passages out of context. Still, but you have not addressed what the Scriptures say.

You have added Paul's next thought to the passage from Colossians 1 and said that I took what I posted out of context. If the point of the passage I quoted is Paul's desire to be perfect--complete--in Christ, what did Paul mean by, "And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight—if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister"?

You have a belief that you can lose salvation and you go looking for verses to prove your belief is true.  You took a couple of verses from Col 1 - which doesn't focus on obtaining or losing salvation at all - but instead speaks to believers being " filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; 10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;"

The goal is for the believer to be presented "holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:"

In order for that to happen the believer must a) learn what God expects from the believer and then b) do what God expects from the believer.

Saved souls can live unholy lives.  Saved souls can live in such a way that they are blamable.  And deserve to be reproved.

But they don't lose salvation.  If a person wants to be holy... be unblameable ... and be unreprovable...

THERE is where your passage fits in.  Continue in the faith.  Be grounded and settled.  Don't move away from the hope of the gospel.

The passage isn't about a lost soul being saved, or a saved soul losing it.

And the verses you quote do not support "loss of salvation."

And yes, Peter was talking about false teachers, but do you disagree that those false teachers had "escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" and that "they are once again entangled in them" and that "the latter end is worse for them than at the beginning"? What do you make of that? How did these false teachers escape the pollutions of the world if not through Christ? Can people who do not believe escape the pollutions of the world through simple knowledge?

"Escaping the pollution of the world" =/= "saved from the penalty of sin."

Just about anyone who reads threads related to Mormonism knows that I say Mormonism is not Christian.  Yet, Mormons can and have escaped many of the world's pollutions.  Generally, they are faithful to their spouses.  They are family oriented.  They attempt to live soberly.  They have a good work ethic.  They try to do right.  They do this in obedience to their "Jesus."  They escape pollutions of the world, and in every thread that discusses Mormonism plenty of people mention just that.

Some Mormons leave their religion, end up denying God even exists, and try and "make up for lost time" by living carnal, worldly lives.

This scenario matches the passage perfectly.

False prophets - living clean lives - get entangled in sin - and their latter end is worse than the beginning.

The passage does not speak of saved souls losing salvation.

Saying that I took the passages out of context is a common way to avoid discussing the Scripture I posted. I get that all the time, along with "you misinterpreted it" or "the translator got it wrong" or "those verses don't really belong in the Bible anyway." All these are simply devices used to move the argument away from Scripture that is problematic to a favored doctrine.

I have no problem whatsoever discussing the verses you mentioned.  I said you took them out of context because that is what happened.

Also, speaking of context, you began your quote of Colossians in the middle of a sentence, so you didn't include the whole context. See how that works?

Col 1:12 begins a new paragraph.

If he was saved, he still is saved.

2 Tim 2
8 ¶ Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:
9 Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.
10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect’s sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:
12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:
13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

I said it before and I will again...

You folks that say that a saved soul can "lose it" are man centered, not God centered.

God made a promise.  Those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ  1) are saved from the eternal penalty of sin;  2) have the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ; 3) HAVE everlasting life.

God is not going to be unfaithful under any circumstances.  So even if a saved soul decides he doesn't want forgiveness... doesn't want the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ... doesn't want eternal life....

God is going to keep His promises anyway.

Thank you Lord, for your faithfulness!

ETA:  sure as shooting' some of you "lose it" guys are going to point to vs 12 and say, " See! if we deny Jesus, He will deny us!  (now you are correct until right there, but you are not going to stop there) See!  He will deny you and you will lose salvation!"  (But the verse doesn't say that.  You want the verse to mean that because you already decided that is what you believe.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You have a belief that you can lose salvation and you go looking for verses to prove your belief is true.  You took a couple of verses from Col 1 - which doesn't focus on obtaining or losing salvation at all - but instead speaks to believers being " filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; 10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;"

The goal is for the believer to be presented "holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:"

In order for that to happen the believer must a) learn what God expects from the believer and then b) do what God expects from the believer.

Saved souls can live unholy lives.  Saved souls can live in such a way that they are blamable.  And deserve to be reproved.

But they don't lose salvation.  If a person wants to be holy... be unblameable ... and be unreprovable...

THERE is where your passage fits in.  Continue in the faith.  Be grounded and settled.  Don't move away from the hope of the gospel.

Just about anyone who reads threads related to Mormonism knows that I say Mormonism is not Christian.  Yet, Mormons can and have escaped many of the world's pollutions.  Generally, they are faithful to their spouses.  They are family oriented.  They attempt to live soberly.  They have a good work ethic.  They try to do right.  They do this in obedience to their "Jesus."  They escape pollutions of the world, and in every thread that discusses Mormonism plenty of people mention just that.

Some Mormons leave their religion, end up denying God even exists, and try and "make up for lost time" by living carnal, worldly lives.

False prophets - living clean lives - get entangled in sin - and their latter end is worse than the beginning.

I have no problem whatsoever discussing the verses you mentioned.  I said you took them out of context because that is what happened.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1 Peter 1
3 ¶ Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Those who subscribe to "you can lose it" will read vs 5 and say, but you can lose your faith."

Ga 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Php 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

2 Tim 2
8 ¶ Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:
9 Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.
10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect’s sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:
12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

You folks that say that a saved soul can "lose it" are man centered, not God centered.

God made a promise.  Those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ  1) are saved from the eternal penalty of sin;  2) have the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ; 3) HAVE everlasting life.

God is not going to be unfaithful under any circumstances.  So even if a saved soul decides he doesn't want forgiveness... doesn't want the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ... doesn't want eternal life....

ETA:  sure as shooting' some of you "lose it" guys are going to point to vs 12 and say, " See! if we deny Jesus, He will deny us!  (now you are correct until right there, but you are not going to stop there) See!  He will deny you and you will lose salvation!"  (But the verse doesn't say that.  You want the verse to mean that because you already decided that is what you believe.)
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:08:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How do you know? How does anyone know?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you know? How does anyone know?

1 John 5
10 ¶ He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yup..and most Christians I know...including myself will be the first to tell you...I'm not a good Christian....just a work in progress.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have never met a Christian that thought they could do no wrong.
Are you sure you are not making that up ?

My favorite verse in the Bible:

1Ti 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

I consider myself a chief of sinners.  I don't know about everyone else's sins, just my own.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a belief that you can lose salvation and you go looking for verses to prove your belief is true.

No, I was actually raised in the Episcopal Church, which doesn't teach salvation at all (in the 20+ years I attended, I never heard a priest talk about it, anyway). I was also taught once-saved-always-saved by my Southern Baptist grandfather (a SB pastor, BTW). So no, I believe what I believe because I've read the Bible and found that it did not match what the others were talking about.

I agree 100%.

I'd be EXTREMELY interested in hearing your answers to the following about Colossians 1:19-23,

According to what Paul wrote, how does God reconcile all things to Himself?

According to what Paul wrote, how is peace made between God and all things on earth or in heaven?

According to what Paul wrote, what had alienated the brethren at Colosse from God, thus making necessary this reconciliation?

According to what Paul wrote, how are we presented holy and blameless and above reproach in God's sight (hint: verse 22)?

According to what Paul wrote, about whose flesh through death is verse 22 speaking?

What translation do you read? None of the translations I checked support what you say. In every one of them, verse 12 continues the sentence started in verse 9.
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1 Peter 1

2 Tim 2

You know, I started going through your post. You'll find that my responses and some more questions are written in blue. I stopped about halfway through, though, as I don't know that there's much point in arguing with someone who teaches that one can deny Christ and still be saved or that one who considers himself saved can continue leading an unholy life. I think that speaks for itself and folks can decide for themselves whether or not that makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:13:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Never mind. No point.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The most honest upstanding groups I have ever met are Mormons first and Catholics 2nd.

I have met lots of 2 faced backstabbing Pentecostals.
View Quote

Tons and tons of them around here in middle TN. Makes me want to own a lion or two.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

So are you saying that God gives us freewill to choose to accept Christ or not, and if we truly do then God takes away our freewill?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't read too much into predestinarian doublespeak. They'll write ten contradictions in one paragraph to convince you they have a grasp of the subject. In their view, God is the ultimate cosmic asshole, who tinkers with men's minds to make them believe one way or another. It's absurd.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

And of course, that's not what we believe at all.

View Quote

Of course.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Of course.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And of course, that's not what we believe at all.

Of course.

If you would sit down and write a book telling Christians what they believe, you'd do all Christians a great service, wouldn't you?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:53:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You know, I started going through your post. You'll find that my responses and some more questions are written in blue. I stopped about halfway through, though, as I don't know that there's much point in arguing with someone who teaches that one can deny Christ and still be saved or that one who considers himself saved can continue leading an unholy life. I think that speaks for itself and folks can decide for themselves whether or not that makes sense.
View Quote

YOU say people who have trusted Jesus Christ can lose salvation....

And that means Jesus didn't pay for ALL their sins on the cross.

You folks who claim saved souls can "lose it" either a)  don't understand salvation and what Jesus did, does and will do for those who trust Him or b) are trusting in your own merit to save you:  "I kept it but the other guy didn't keep his."
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:04:41 AM EDT
[#45]
There sure are a considerable number of people who have absolutely no idea what the "imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ" actually means....

Which means they have no understanding of salvation.

When a sinner trusts Jesus Christ:

a) no sin is imputed to that believer

b) Jesus' righteousness is imputed to that believer.

ROMANS 4
1 ¶ What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?
2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath [whereof] to glory; but not before God.
3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
7 [Saying], Blessed [are] they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
8 Blessed [is] the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
9 ¶ [Cometh] this blessedness then upon the circumcision [only], or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.
10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.
11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which [he had yet] being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:
12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which [he had] being [yet] uncircumcised.
13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, [was] not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
14 For if they which are of the law [be] heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:
15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, [there is] no transgression.
16 Therefore [it is] of faith, that [it might be] by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,
17 ¶ (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, [even] God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb:
20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.
23 ¶ Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;
24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

When a sinner trusts Jesus Christ that sinner doesn't have to worry about "keeping himself saved" or "losing salvation" because God:

a) doesn't impute the sinner's own sin to him

b) but does impute God's own righteousness to the sinner.

When a sinner trusts Jesus Christ, that soul is RIGHTEOUS in God's eyes.  FOREVER.  That's why the sinner who trusts Jesus Christ can KNOW he has everlasting life.

And the fact that there are people who don't understand that, or don't believe it won't change that one little bit.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

You folks who claim saved souls can "lose it" either a)  don't understand salvation and what Jesus did, does and will do for those who trust Him or b) are trusting in your own merit to save you:  "I kept it but the other guy didn't keep his."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're over complicating the subject. It's explained perfectly in the parable of the sower. If there was more to say on it, Jesus would have said it then. Bringing up a No True Scotsman fallacy is totally unnecessary.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

We understand it alright; he did pay for ALL of our sins, but it's up to us to accept it - and continue to accept it - as individuals.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We understand it alright; he did pay for ALL of our sins, but it's up to us to accept it - and continue to accept it - as individuals.

That...is the difficult part.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top