Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2014 9:30:17 AM EDT
Link to the deal:
Kershaw Tiger Striped Tanto Blur

I have been looking to upgrade from my $12 S&W knife.  This seems like a great deal.  Thoughts?  

I like serrations.
I carry a knife at my 7-8 IWB.

Thoughts?  Keep in mind I am clueless about knives.  I got a purple Kershaw leek for my girlfriend and it seemed of much better quality than what I had.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a good choice, mine doesn't have stripes
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I love Kershaw knives, i have a blur with me right now.  The only negative i have is the screws on the clip always want to back out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I pulled the trigger on it.  Just wanted a quick second opinion.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Not a fan of Tanto blades or serrations but the Blur is a good knife.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I have this exact knife, love it. If it comes with XXXX on the blade it's a blem.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Even though i dislike tantos and serrations, that's a personal preference thing and doesn't really effect the value of the knife.  You're stepping into a better category of knife with the Kershaw and you will definitely enjoy it.  

Put the S&W POS where it belongs: the garbage.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not a fan of the tanto or serrated blades.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the knife I learned to hate Tanto blades on. with the tanto on the end and the serrations at the beginning, you get about 1 inch of usable knife.

I bought a benchmade and won't look back. Although the blur was still a nice knife.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#9]
These still USA made?  
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#10]
This is what it is replacing.  14 months of use out of it for $12.  There is value and utility in a cheap knife.  The only issue I had with it was that I had to sharpen it often.  I have no regrets, thought I would lose my first knife but since I carry IWB just about exclusively there was no chance of it falling out of a pocket or getting snagged.

Here she is:

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Link to the deal:
Kershaw Tiger Striped Tanto Blur

I have been looking to upgrade from my $12 S&W knife.  This seems like a great deal.  Thoughts?  

I like serrations.
I carry a knife at my 7-8 IWB.

Thoughts?  Keep in mind I am clueless about knives.  I got a purple Kershaw leek for my girlfriend and it seemed of much better quality than what I had.  
View Quote

Good deal, same knife is $76 at Amazon.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is the knife I learned to hate Tanto blades on. with the tanto on the end and the serrations at the beginning, you get about 1 inch of usable knife.

I bought a benchmade and won't look back. Although the blur was still a nice knife.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my gripe. There is no usable blade. It's just a tactical assisted pokie thingy. But not a practical blade. Standard blade plain edge is the most usable knife. I get plain blades for all of my knives.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

Same here.  I have 2 Blurs and they're great knives for the money.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm have one from the last woot sell (Arfcom was bashing the Ken Onion Poop knife).

Very nice knife, IMO.

USA made (mine is anyhow), assisted. RAZOR sharp.

I'm not big on their idea of tanto (I like a bit less aggressive point, but whatever). Don't care about tiger stripe either.

All in all, worth every penny.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Interesting to think about the small amount of 'usable' blade.  With that S&W I on a daily basis cut one fruit (apples/pears/whatever).  Also, regularly I cut zip ties, amazon packages, etc.  Just never thought a different blade shape or the serrations were something I needed.  I might try out the g/fs leek that has a much flatter consistent blade shape and see if that is something I like more and maybe in another year or two get a new blade like that.  I am also going to try to make mental notes of when I actually use the serrations.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Is this actually a "more expensive" knife, or one of those BS deals? I've been looking for a decent folding USA knife.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is this actually a "more expensive" knife, or one of those BS deals? I've been looking for a decent folding USA knife.
View Quote

Scroll up to my first post in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had a few Kershaw knives and I like them.  Now, I don't use them to cut something every day, so I don't know about long-term durability.  But, mine stay pretty sharp and are easy to sharpen when needed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Interesting to think about the small amount of 'usable' blade.  With that S&W I on a daily basis cut one fruit (apples/pears/whatever).  Also, regularly I cut zip ties, amazon packages, etc.  Just never thought a different blade shape or the serrations were something I needed.  I might try out the g/fs leek that has a much flatter consistent blade shape and see if that is something I like more and maybe in another year or two get a new blade like that.  I am also going to try to make mental notes of when I actually use the serrations.  

View Quote

Opening up those plastic packages, it always seems to catch in that first serration and if the knife is a little dull,it would stop cutting and I had to dig it out.  But the first serration on the blade was perfect for sparking my firesteel.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't worry yourself over it too much. Serrations are good for certain things(cutting fibrous materials etc), and if it seems to function fine for you, then use it.  Just because some of us are of the opinion that tantos or serrations aren't all that great and the two together equals bad doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Hell, i'm of the opinion that there is zero value in a S&W knife, yet you found plenty for you with the one you had, so what the hell do i know?

Moral of this story?  Buy more knives!  Then you can test them all out against each other.  Don't stop there, either. Buy even more so you can swap them out each day and then if you really want to get in trouble, start collecting!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but I found two websites that have it for $40 or less.  Amazon has a reason to charge more right now.... as they own woot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, did a little more research and here is what I found:

KershawGuy : $39 (but its a blem)
Cabelas:  $79.00
Walmart:  $45.54 (best price I can find outside of woot for a non-blem)

Also, I wonder what it will go to on amazon after the sale is over.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#23]
A few pictures now that I got it comparing it to my previous knife.  As this is the first 30 minutes I have owned it all I can say so far is that it feels like much better quality and it sits flatter against my body when IWB.  I also likes that it sits lower.

As far as I can tell, not a blem.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#24]
blur is a good knife.  I don't care for blade coatings, but in reality they don't matter

I also don't care for tanto knives, but if you do...that's on you
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#25]
My EDC is a Kershaw Blur. Love it. Not a big fan of the tanto blade though
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah still figuring out what I like.  A lot of dislike for tanto and serrations, which as people said here and with my research seems reasonable.  My old knife (pictured) worked and I never thought the blade design was something that left me wanting.

I am happy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Yeah still figuring out what I like.  A lot of dislike for tanto and serrations, which as people said here and with my research seems reasonable.  My old knife (pictured) worked and I never thought the blade design was something that left me wanting.

I am happy.
View Quote
I don't mind the serrations.... Just not the tanto blade

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn wish I saw that deal.  A blur is my usual carry and is a great knife.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#29]
that's a great price, I paid $50 plus for each of these blurs (get both)  but too tell you the truth they are EDC/ light duty/BBQ knives.  the $12 mora boned out a muley last sunday morning...like a boss

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top