Site Notices
Page / 36
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Want to switch places?

Serbia stronk! :D. I've actually been on a wedding where they played that song

Anyhow guys, here is my opinion on the '90s war.
After Slovenia got it's independence (with surprisingly small number of victims), everyone realized that SFRY is falling apart. Then, some (a-hole) leaders gathered people around the religious/nationalist causes, to try to take biggest peace of cake. It was a free-for-all, a scramble for territory (and factories/resources spread through the country).
But the thing is, the seat of YPA (Yugoslavian People's Army) was in Serbia, so in the start, Serbia had the most manpower/war resources. Smart lobbying against that, made us the bad guys (Muslims and Croats got plenty of international help to even the odds, while our army got crippled by diplomacy). So then, some other Serbs started gathering volunteers for paramilitaries, to avoid those diplomatic issues (and, at the same time, to evade the "communism" issue in YPA). And, as in every war, some people fought for survival, some fought for money, some for religion, some just because they had a thirst for blood. And those people could be found on all the sides in this war.
So it would be the best for us to get over it, since fighting a war that is long over brings us nothing but useless hate these days. We should try helping each other instead (remember, as an example, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia and Serbia were able to make one of the best t72 copies in the world, and that tank was among the best when it got introduced. Cooperative industry could bring prosperity to the whole region, but it wont happen if people keep getting butthurt over a war that ended 20 years ago
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$200 for a Full auto AK and $2.5 for marlboro's? Dude I'm moving to Serbia.

Want to switch places?

Quoted:
Ok, trick question....

How do you, if you do, remove Kebab?

After Slovenia got it's independence (with surprisingly small number of victims), everyone realized that SFRY is falling apart. Then, some (a-hole) leaders gathered people around the religious/nationalist causes, to try to take biggest peace of cake. It was a free-for-all, a scramble for territory (and factories/resources spread through the country).
But the thing is, the seat of YPA (Yugoslavian People's Army) was in Serbia, so in the start, Serbia had the most manpower/war resources. Smart lobbying against that, made us the bad guys (Muslims and Croats got plenty of international help to even the odds, while our army got crippled by diplomacy). So then, some other Serbs started gathering volunteers for paramilitaries, to avoid those diplomatic issues (and, at the same time, to evade the "communism" issue in YPA). And, as in every war, some people fought for survival, some fought for money, some for religion, some just because they had a thirst for blood. And those people could be found on all the sides in this war.
So it would be the best for us to get over it, since fighting a war that is long over brings us nothing but useless hate these days. We should try helping each other instead (remember, as an example, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia and Serbia were able to make one of the best t72 copies in the world, and that tank was among the best when it got introduced. Cooperative industry could bring prosperity to the whole region, but it wont happen if people keep getting butthurt over a war that ended 20 years ago

It's tough to blame private paramilitary organizations for policies that have been clearly shown came from the top down.  While, I appreciate that you have a more realistic sense of things than many here in GD for whom Serbia could do no wrong in their holy war against the Kebab, I think - I know - you are downplaying the actions of the Yugoslav/Serbian regulars, from Milosevic on down, that precipitated the NATO bombing campaign.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#2]
How much Amateur Radio goes on there? I've got several countries in your neighborhood, but none from Serbia.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What's your favorite guitar?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What's your favorite guitar?

I'm a bass guitar player, but if i have to pick from the regular 6-strings, it would be either a SG or an Explorer. I have a japanese SG copy, beater guitar, i use it to test my home made pedals.

Quoted:
It's tough to blame private paramilitary organizations for policies that have been clearly shown came from the top down.  While, I appreciate that you have a more realistic sense of things than many here in GD for whom Serbia could do no wrong in their holy war against the Kebab, I think - I know - you are downplaying the actions of the Yugoslav/Serbian regulars, from Milosevic on down, that precipitated the NATO bombing campaign.

I didn't say they were private. Nationalists from the head of the state organised those (they were just hailed as a real "Serbian army" instead of "Yugoslavian communist product"). And I am not downplaying anything, my family was involved in the war (as was the most of my surrounding) and for every thing that Serbs are being accused for, you can find an equivalent action performed by either Muslims or Croats. Croats did the whole "ethnic cleansing" thing more serious than the Serbs (link - check out the number of people driven away from their homes).

Since WW2, you can open a list of massacres on Wikipedia or something similar, and it's all going around in circles. Croats killing Serbs, Serbs killing Muslims, Muslims killing Serbs, Serbs killing Croats, Croats killing Muslims.... one big clusterf**k.

Quoted:
How much Amateur Radio goes on there? I've got several countries in your neighborhood, but none from Serbia.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

There are some active radio-clubs, I plan on getting my amateur radio-operator licence (you need it here to broadcast outside of PMR frequencies)
The website of our Radio Amateur Association is http://www.yu1srs.org.rs/ if that is of any help
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Want to switch places?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$200 for a Full auto AK and $2.5 for marlboro's? Dude I'm moving to Serbia.

Want to switch places?

Quoted:
Ok, trick question....

How do you, if you do, remove Kebab?

Systematic rape, murder, and ethnic cleansing is hard to forget or not be "butt hurt" by.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Systematic rape, murder, and ethnic cleansing is hard to forget or not be "butt hurt" by.
View Quote

It was done by both sides, check out WW2. And it gets us nowhere
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
What's your favorite kind of music from the US? I love me some 70s/80s. I could listen to ELO and Hall & Oates all day.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasenovac_concentration_camp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usta%C5%A1e
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13th_Waffen_Mountain_Division_of_the_SS_Handschar_(1st_Croatian)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_Waffen_Mountain_Division_of_the_SS_Skanderbeg_(1st_Albanian)

Serbs have been exterminated in that part of the world (Balkans) more than any other nationality at the hands of the Croatian and bosnian/alabanian muslim nazi units.... Not to mention Serbs killed while Serbia was under ottoman/muslim occupation......

But Croats/Bosnians/Albanians don't like to talk about that......... They just like to play the role of the victim.....

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What's your favorite kind of music from the US? I love me some 70s/80s. I could listen to ELO and Hall & Oates all day.
View Quote

Hard 'n Heavy (more specifically Stoner rock, Palm Desert scene). Kyuss, Sleep etc. Also I love stuff like Pantera, Lamb of God, 'tallica, Overkill...
And I listen to plenty of blues/country/rockabilly. BB, SRV, Buddy Guy, Johnny Cash, Brian Setzer, George Thorogood etc...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Serbs have been exterminated in that part of the world (Balkans) more than any other nationality at the hands of the Croatian and Bosnian muslim nazi and ustashe units....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serbs have been exterminated in that part of the world (Balkans) more than any other nationality at the hands of the Croatian and Bosnian muslim nazi and ustashe units....

We got mad at the Serbs because Bill Clinton needed a distraction.  Period.  The Serbs saved a ton of Allied airmen during WWII, and fought the Nazis AND the Commies at the same fucking time.

I wish I hadn't lost my Dinara Division T-Shirt I bought in Belgrade.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hard 'n Heavy (more specifically Stoner rock, Palm Desert scene). Kyuss, Sleep etc. Also I love stuff like Pantera, Lamb of God, 'tallica, Overkill...

And I listen to plenty of blues/country/rockabilly. BB, SRV, Buddy Guy, Johnny Cash, Brian Setzer, George Thorogood etc...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Big variety. I like it. You listen to Hank JR. or David Allen Coe?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh? Fan of Red Fang, Orange Goblin, or Wolfmother also?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:Big variety. I like it. You listen to Hank JR. or David Allen Coe?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:Big variety. I like it. You listen to Hank JR. or David Allen Coe?  

Yeah, they are cool. Sometimes a bit too much counry for my taste, but when it matches my mood, DAC sounds perfect

Quoted:Oh? Fan of Red Fang, Orange Goblin, or Wolfmother also?  

Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's tough to blame private paramilitary organizations for policies that have been clearly shown came from the top down. While, I appreciate that you have a more realistic sense of things than many here in GD for whom Serbia could do no wrong in their holy war against the Kebab, I think - I know - you are downplaying the actions of the Yugoslav/Serbian regulars, from Milosevic on down, that precipitated the NATO bombing campaign.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So it would be the best for us to get over it, since fighting a war that is long over brings us nothing but useless hate these days. We should try helping each other instead (remember, as an example, Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia and Serbia were able to make one of the best t72 copies in the world, and that tank was among the best when it got introduced. Cooperative industry could bring prosperity to the whole region, but it wont happenif people keep getting butthurt over a war that ended 20 years ago

It's tough to blame private paramilitary organizations for policies that have been clearly shown came from the top down. While, I appreciate that you have a more realistic sense of things than many here in GD for whom Serbia could do no wrong in their holy war against the Kebab, I think - I know - you are downplaying the actions of the Yugoslav/Serbian regulars, from Milosevic on down, that precipitated the NATO bombing campaign.

I spent a good amount of time studying the conflict, traveling in Bosnia, and working with folks that were there as Soldiers on the US and bosnian side. . . kinda' dick thing to say here in yellow.

ETA- Spent time with Serb Nationalists too. . .
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Are you really gonna spew your "History according to albanians" BS again ......?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty much the people who are Muslimi in that part of the world
1. Invaders and their offspring
2. Converted to Islam when it was dominant to get a better life, fucking over their fellow Christians

Pretty much?

Not even close.

So, the Muslims peacably immigrated there from Mecca?
Nope.  
The only non-Christians there got there by having ancestors who invaded the area
or
are the descendants of original inhabitants who converted to Islam.

Grossly oversimplified but true.

So grossly oversimplified that it's just as untrue.

eta I will expand upon this as you request when I got some time tonight

Are you really gonna spew your "History according to albanians" BS again ......?

More like history according to objective historians from all over the world, like the French, English, Germans, Austrians, and Americans, or history as it happened, instead of "history" according to Serbian ultranationalist folk propaganda.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#15]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_camps_in_the_Independent_State_of_Croatia

And after the war ended, Croatia got accepted into SFRY. So getting over things is possible
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We got mad at the Serbs because Bill Clinton needed a distraction.  Period.  The Serbs saved a ton of Allied airmen during WWII, and fought the Nazis AND the Commies at the same fucking time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The world does not revolve around US politics.

Did Clinton's need for a distraction help the US commit to the thing?  Likely.

Was Europe already in a tizzy and wringing their hands over what Milosevic was doing, but being their usual inept self without US leadership?

Definitely.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

More like history according to objective historians from all over the world, like the French, English, Germans, Austrians, and Americans, or history as it happened, instead of "history" according to Serbian ultranationalist folk propaganda.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oh boy here we go again with the Albanian version.... Ok so enlighten us with that info........ And while you are at it why dont you tell us how albanians in kosovo were innocent of ethnic cleansing as well, did not desecrate christian churches in kosovo, etc......

http://youtu.be/Vt0eaObJVpA

http://www.kosovo.net/crucified/

http://news.yahoo.com/top-ex-kosovo-fighters-incriminated-organ-stealing-warcrimes-002216214.html

This is what albanians muslims want to bring to Kosovo....

http://pamelageller.com/2014/06/kosovo-albanian-leads-al-qaedaisis-army-fallujah.html/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephen-schwartz/isis-and-the-kosovar-alba_b_5670061.html

Bosnia was mostly Christian prior to the turk invasion..... That is a historical fact and not hard to research.

This is what I am talking about when I say "History according to albanians".....

Bosnia Islamization and Ottoman era

Upon his father's death (King of Bosnia (Christian) ) in 1461, Stephen Tomaševic succeeded to the throne of Bosnia, a kingdom whose existence was being increasingly threatened by the Ottomans. In same year, Stephen Tomaševic made an alliance with the Hungarians and asked Pope Pius II for help in the face of an impending Ottoman invasion. In 1463, after a dispute over the tribute paid annually by the Bosnian Kingdom to the Ottomans, he sent for help from the Venetians. However, no help ever arrived to Bosnia from Christendom;[100] King Matthias Corvinus of Hungary, Skenderbeg of Albania and the Ragusans all failed to carry out their promises,[101] while the Venetians flatly refused the king's pleas.[102] In 1463, Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror led an army into the country. The royal city of Bobovac soon fell, leaving Stephen Tomaševic to retreat to Jajce and later to Kljuc. Mehmed invaded Bosnia and conquered it very quickly, executing the last Bosnian king Stephen Tomaševic and his uncle Radivoj. Bosnia officially fell in 1463 and became the westernmost province of the Ottoman Empire.

The rise of Ottoman rule in the Balkans modified the religious picture of Bosnia and Herzegovina as the Ottomans brought with them a new religion, Islam. Throughout the entire Balkans people were sporadically converting in small numbers; Bosnia, by contrast, experienced a rapid and extensive conversion of the local population to Islam, and by the early 1600s approximately two thirds of the population of Bosnia were Muslim.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Btw, guys, I have just realized that I have some pictures I've taken from our Armament Expo (pretty much military industry expo, with some guns from Zastava, plenty of vehicles etc). You want me to dig them up and upload? I think it's form 2013 fair, maybe even 2012 (I've got a summer job in a company that makes landing gears for small airplanes, so I've got a pass (it was closed for public until the last day).
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Btw, guys, I have just realized that I have some pictures I've taken from our Armament Expo (pretty much military industry expo, with some guns from Zastava, plenty of vehicles etc). You want me to dig them up and upload? I think it's form 2013 fair, maybe even 2012 (I've got a summer job in a company that makes landing gears for small airplanes, so I've got a pass (it was closed for public until the last day).
View Quote

Sure, post them up, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
Heck yeah

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

uhmm, let me think about that...

fuck yeah upload that shit!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok, I will try to find them, it's now up to my sister (she took the laptop that had the pictures on it). Sorry for hyping it up if i dont deliver :(
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#23]
or pictures of sister work too
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Got them. Have about 80 pics total. Most are pics of various vehicles, but I've snooped around Zastava's display area, have maybe 10 pics form there. Should i post them all or select some of them or what

Teaser
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#25]
probably just the highlights, if you want to host the remainder under a public hosting site that could be an option too.

Also, what are those rifles?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#26]
M93 Black Arrow, one in 12.7x108mm and the other in .50 BMG

I will post everything from the Zastava display area, i was pretty much asking about the vehicles :)
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Here are some pics

Made by an infamous company, we all know them :D. Manufactured here in Serbia

Sloboda Cacak, manufacturer of military ammo of various types

Unusual caliber, Zastava arms.

Want more?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh. I will still always think of your people as savages.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm not sure that I would call 9.3x62 unusual.

Cool pics though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well thats nice, gtfo
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well thats nice, gtfo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well thats nice, gtfo

Again,  not trying to be a dick,  but what was done in that war was no different than what ISIS is doing today. There is no forgetting that type of shit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Cool pics though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Cool pics though.

Unusual for me. Here, 99% of the stuff is 7.62/9mm/8x57 etc

Quoted:

Again, check your massacre history.
It's a bit hypocritical, isn't it? 8-9k dead in Srebrenica, ~100k dead in Jasenovac, and we get to be the bad guys all the time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
not trying to be a dick.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Again,  not trying to be a dick,  but what was done in that war was no different than what ISIS is doing today. There is no forgetting that type of shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well thats nice, gtfo

You're failing pretty miserably at the "not being a dick" thing.  And the atrocities of the Bosnian conflict were perpetrated by all sides.  The Serbs were just way better at kicking ass, so we made them the bad guys.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You're failing pretty miserably at the "not being a dick" thing.  And the atrocities of the Bosnian conflict were perpetrated by all sides.  The Serbs were just way better at kicking ass raping and slaughtering innocent men,  women and children , so we made them the bad guys.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Tell ya what, gtfo and stop shitting in this dudes thread. he's seems like a decent sort, while you come off as a, and you guessed it, a dick.

I'm not arguing for or against any war crimes perpetrated by either side, but the OP most certainly didnt commit any, and seeing as how this thread is about the OP, kindly see your self elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you always have to shit in every thread? What the fuck is wrong with you
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Tell ya what, gtfo and stop shitting in this dudes thread. he's seems like a decent sort, while you come off as a, and you guessed it, a dick.

I'm not arguing for or against any war crimes perpetrated by either side, but the OP most certainly didnt commit any, and seeing as how this thread is about the OP, kindly see your self elsewhere.
View Quote

This is the same guy who advocates a pro-Iranian alliance.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#40]
As a Serb, what three weapons from the USA would want to own?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're failing pretty miserably at the "not being a dick" thing.  And the atrocities of the Bosnian conflict were perpetrated by all sides.  The Serbs were just way better at kicking ass raping and slaughtering innocent men,  women and children , so we made them the bad guys.

FIFY

The Bosnians and other Muslims that came to "fight" on their behalf were easily as bad.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
As a Serb, what three weapons from the USA would want to own?

View Quote

Wow, awesome question, and a tough one.
First one, for sure, woild be a Barrett m82/107. Nothing beats poking people one mile away with a 50 cal stick (or, if we are going totally fictional here, replace this with .375 cheytac m200)

Then, maybe a nice sr25 (to give me that semi-auto power if i took m200 as a first one. If not, replace with remington m700 or somwthing similar)

And ofc, an Ar15, 10.5-12" max, chambered in .223 (with spare uppers for .300 blackout and .50 beowulf)

And now i need a sidearm. And some vintage guns. And some full autos.... Brain overload
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says the guy rooting for Russia in the Ukraine thread.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I advocate working with Iran to destroy ISIS. Not an alliance,  or anything Pro-Iranian.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Great thread OP. Thanks for posting!

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Having been deployed to Kosovo in 2000, and spending the first month of the deployment sleeping in, and working out of, the MUP (Serb paramilitary police) compound in Ferizaj / Urosevac, where I got to see, firsthand, the blood-splattered rooms they used for torturing and raping the Kosovar Albanian population, and having spoken to numerous Albanians who've reported to me the abuse they suffered at the hands of the MUP, I have no illusions about just how depraved they were, and just how badly they'll treat people they feel are their inferiors.

Of course, I didn't trust the Albanian population any further than I could throw them, either. It was pretty obvious they were just biding their time to rearm and regroup, so that they cold take the fight to their former oppressors. They would lie through their teeth and talk out of both sides of their mouths, telling us what they thought we wanted to hear, in order to keep us around. And, they were about the laziest and dirtiest group of people I've ever seen. We started a "Clean Up Zegra" initiative, where we'd bring LMTV's to the little town which housed our Firebase, so that we could help them haul trash out of the river which flowed through the center of town. The nasty fuckers used the river for drinking, cleaning, irrigation, watering livestock (and as a pathway to move them to pasture, all the while they pissed in it), and as a town dump. There were abandoned cars, household appliances, and general household refuse (to include soiled diapers) littering the river. The lazy fuckers wouldn't lift a finger to clean up their town. They just sat at a cafe across the street, sipping tea and watching us. The kids would come over. But, they'd just as soon beg us for candy and sodas as help. We'd give them a trash bag and tell them to pick up trash and we'd give them sodas and candy. Little lazy fucks would pick up one piece of paper, toss it in the bag, and expect to get a reward.

The truth is, neither party involved in that war was a friend of ours and there wasn't a justifiable benefit to our national interest in helping either side. We should have let them handle it themselves and dealt with the victor in whatever manner they deserved.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Another great summary write up from a american guy that was deployed in Kosovo from THIS thread..... A bunch of cool photos at the link below as well.

Quoted:
Five years on the ground there.

Tons of photos here.

I post this about every two years.

I am not going to list numbers but the U.S. Army has very few Personnel left in Kosovo.
I spent five years there during 2000-2007 Got hurt and sent back to the U.S. Jan 2007.

You should start with the break up of Yugoslavia as the modern start point.

The Locals will tell you you have to understand the battle of the field of the black birds.
That was June 15, 1389.

A simplified version. I can talk about this for hours.
Bosnia was over for the most part when the Kosovo "war" started.
Bosnia was a blood bath. It was a 3 way slug fest between the Serbs, Croats, and Muslims. With any two groups joining together to attack the third, and then each other.
There are mass graves in Bosnia with 800 bodies in them.

Let’s talk about Kosovo.
Kosovo has 1 (one) confirmed mass grave. The official count is 47. The locals told me it was 17, but OK, we will go with 47.
There were NO prison camps, work camps, rape camps in Kosovo.

The Kosovo situation was started by a terrorist organization called the KLA. They started ambushing police patrols, attacking outlying villages. Milosevic taking a lot of heat for the goings on in Bosnia (and well deserved) Came down like a hammer. He thought for sure the world would back him on this as it was attacks on Serb territory and people.
Milosevic never understood international politics.

Some how the International Community that had done next to nothing for all of the Bosnia Slaughter Jumped in on Kosovo.
The Bosnian Albanians are still pissed about this as they wanted the KLA to attack WHILE the Bosnia war was running, splitting the Serb forces. The Albanians are however far better at propaganda to the international audience. Worked for them during the war. Milosevic kept repeating the same nationalist local election crap that sell so well in the Balkans never understanding he was by then addressing the world.
In five years in Kosovo I met four or five Albanians that actually fought in the war. Albanians aint fighters as a rule. The first president, Rogava who died in office was hiding in a camp in Italy during the war.
The President there now is one of the "generals" from the war. He is the leader of the LDK party.
They are more of the Mafia party, with a lot of disgruntled former fighters and wannabes as well.

Try to get a DVD or catch a rerun of the BBC's Yugoslavia: Death of a Nation it is a five part documentary that is about as balanced as could be made at that time.
There is a companion book as well, but Stick with the DVD. This is the visual age.

If you like your history dry, Read the works of Noel Malcolm. He covers it from pre history to modern times.

That part of Europe is as hard for an American to understand as America is for them. It may say 'Europe" on the map, but that aint Europe out the window.
People there will hear your name and know where you are from, What province, what village, what religion. Once you speak a word or two they know if you are Bosnian, Albanian, Macedonian or what.
If you live in this village you are that background. This is not a mobile society of the kind we have here. Your name, your words tell all.

Religion had little or nothing to do with the war. It helped define the sides, but was not a catalyst. The Serbs are Serbian Orthodox the Albanians Muslim. Some Mountain Albanians are Roman catholic.

Here is the starting point of serious intervention.

Jan. 7, 1999 - The Senate trial of President Clinton opens.

Jan. 19, 1999 - State of the Union Address. No mention of the impeachment trial.

Jan. 20, 1999 - NATO bombing campaign against Serbia begin.

Jan. 21, 1999 - On the final day of arguments, President Clinton's defense team pleads for "political sanity," stating that the prosecution's case rests on circumstantial evidence and unrelated facts.

Knowing what was going to happen in the Sennett, and needing to get his troubles off the front page, or perhaps derail the impeachment altogether, Clinton acted.
Clinton got involved in the Balkans with 20,000 total killed.
And did nothing in Rwanda that was a slaughter of 1 million.
One Million People....
and Clinton the Humanitarian did nothing.

On March 17-18-19 2004 well coordinated and organized riots struck all of Kosovo.

The "reason ,or excuse" for the riots was a widely reported (on Albanian TV ) incident that 3 young Albanian boys were killed when they jumped into a river to escape a pack of dogs that the Serbs had set on them.
This story had several versions. Usually all the boys drowned, but then some one realized that one of the boys had to live long enough to identify the Serbs as being responsible. So he did.
The Albanian TV (Chanel 21 for those who remember) and radio ran with this story it was on everywhere.

It also turned out not to be factual, but that really didn't matter.

The Serb areas, what few remained were attacked by the Albanians. Hundreds of houses and businesses were burned, the hospitals, the schools. The churches.
Several Serbs were killed. I don’t recall the figure now but 30 to 40.

I have a lot of friends on both sides of the conflict, and can spend hours telling you where both are wrong, and why it will start again.
When the Albanians realize that the world could care less, they will start trouble with the Serbs by raids across the border.
Trying to get retaliation by the Serbs, and a new NATO attack on the Serbs.

If you have not been keeping up Serbia has given the store to Russia to keep them happy and helpful on the Kosovo Independence deal. Couple of months ago the Russians were presented with two refineries and a pipeline in Serbia.

Kosovo "Independence" would be laughable if the problems it will cause weren’t so real. Kosovo has no ability to feed itself, an infrastructure that looks like a mad max movie, and extremely limited amount of resources to bargain with.
They have no Army. The National guard they do have has few weapons.
Kosovo has done nothing to earn its Independence. It is a gift bestowed on them by the great powers of the world. And since they have not had to earn it they feel no value in having it. They think of Independence as something you keep in a box.
They are independent but cant run the country, defend the country, pay for the workings of a country, feed the country.

I had educated people there tell me that Kosovo would be the 51st state of the United States. This was not a joke. They expected the US to adopt and care for them.

Few years from now you will see them start formal talks to become part of Albania. Macedonia and Montenegro are already having problems with Albanian separatist groups in their countries trying to partition off parts.
In 02 Macedonia was on the edge of civil war when some of the Albanian groups openly attacked. Whole areas were cut off. This came to a halt when the U.S. sent in Army representatives to explain to the Albanians The US would not help them break away from Macedonia. And in fact the US would help the Macedonian government. The Albanians stopped the overt attacks and went to ground shocked. Had not the US just helped the Albanians in Kosovo?

NOI
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13th_Waffen_Mountain_Division_of_the_SS_Handschar_(1st_Croatian)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_Waffen_Mountain_Division_of_the_SS_Skanderbeg_(1st_Albanian)

Serbs have been exterminated in that part of the world (Balkans) more than any other nationality at the hands of the Croatian and bosnian/alabanian muslim nazi units.... Not to mention Serbs killed while Serbia was under ottoman/muslim occupation......

But Croats/Bosnians/Albanians don't like to talk about that......... They just like to play the role of the victim.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clearly you are a anti-ROPer bigot.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Having been deployed to Kosovo in 2000, and spending the first month of the deployment sleeping in, and working out of, the MUP (Serb paramilitary police) compound in Ferizaj / Urosevac, where I got to see, firsthand, the blood-splattered rooms they used for torturing and raping the Kosovar Albanian population, and having spoken to numerous Albanians who've reported to me the abuse they suffered at the hands of the MUP, I have no illusions about just how depraved they were, and just how badly they'll treat people they feel are their inferiors.

Of course, I didn't trust the Albanian population any further than I could throw them, either. It was pretty obvious they were just biding their time to rearm and regroup, so that they cold take the fight to their former oppressors. They would lie through their teeth and talk out of both sides of their mouths, telling us what they thought we wanted to hear, in order to keep us around. And, they were about the laziest and dirtiest group of people I've ever seen. We started a "Clean Up Zegra" initiative, where we'd bring LMTV's to the little town which housed our Firebase, so that we could help them haul trash out of the river which flowed through the center of town. The nasty fuckers used the river for drinking, cleaning, irrigation, watering livestock (and as a pathway to move them to pasture, all the while they pissed in it), and as a town dump. There were abandoned cars, household appliances, and general household refuse (to include soiled diapers) littering the river. The lazy fuckers wouldn't lift a finger to clean up their town. They just sat at a cafe across the street, sipping tea and watching us. The kids would come over. But, they'd just as soon beg us for candy and sodas as help. We'd give them a trash bag and tell them to pick up trash and we'd give them sodas and candy. Little lazy fucks would pick up one piece of paper, toss it in the bag, and expect to get a reward.

The truth is, neither party involved in that war was a friend of ours and there wasn't a justifiable benefit to our national interest in helping either side. We should have let them handle it themselves and dealt with the victor in whatever manner they deserved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

Are you saying that the local Muslim population ran their little corner of Europe like a third world shithole?  That can't be.
The Muslim world is known for it's enlightened, cosmopolitan and charming inhabitants.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:06:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Are you saying that the local Muslim population ran their little corner of Europe like a third world shithole?  That can't be.
The Muslim world is known for it's enlightened, cosmopolitan and charming inhabitants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

They weren't lazy because they were Muslim. Their being Muslim was more due to the fact that their parents, grandparents, and forefathers going back hundreds of years were Muslim than it was out of a devout belief in the teachings of Mohammed and a desire to be part of a greater Muslim world. Had they been devout Muslims, booze and porn wouldn't have been so openly available, nor would whorehouses be operating so blatantly, nor would their women have been allowed to go about their daily business without male escort and dressed as they were.

They were filthy and lazy because they didn't really know how to take care of themselves and dependence on others was ingrained into every fiber of their being. Sure, they wanted to be free of Serbia. But, it wasn't because they wanted Kosovo to become an independent nation state. They wanted to become part of Albania or Macedonia. Or, if we'd have had them, they would have accepted becoming part of the United States. Prior to the break up of Yugoslavia, almost all governmental jobs in Kosovo went to Serbs, not Albanians, Romany, or members of any other sect. That included sanitation workers and firemen. So, when the Serbs left, the Albanians didn't really have the first clue how to take advantage of their new found semi-independence and run things for themselves. That meant trash wasn't removed, fires weren't fought effectively, mail wasn't going anywhere, the power grid was haphazard and non-reliable, buildings were built looking like shit. They were like children who had been mistreated, not given any responsibilities, not had any discipline instilled in them, and not allowed outside of their bedroom for most of their lives; children who reach their teenage years and think that running away from home, with dreams of living with their older cousins in a shitty, run-down apartment on the wrong side of the tracks, with shitty utility connections means they're now mature adults and know more than anybody who tries to tell them that they're making mistakes and going about things the wrong way.
Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top