Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/12/2014 12:26:02 PM EDT
I keep hearing over and over again that this movie is "fucking awesome".

Edited: Saw it, and it was fucking awesome.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't see it in 3D.  Was pretty good movie.

Kinda like Groundhogs Day combined with Starship Troopers
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah it was good.

as much as i dislike TC, he becomes his characters and isn't tom cruse for 2 hours.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I never saw it in 3D, but I thought it was fucking awesome.  

Basically, it's Groundhog Day meets Battle Los Angeles.  What's not to like?!  
View Quote

I heard it was Groundhog Day meets Gears of War.

Gears of War sounds much cooler than Battle Los Angeles. But I get what you guys mean.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw it when I was in Doha.  It wasn't in 3D but it was pretty damn good.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#6]
It was decent entertainment. I enjoyed it.

It reminded me of a video game.  Play, die, reset...

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Emily Blunt is hot!

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm beginning to feel 3D is overrated.  It's alright and kinda cool but after a while of watching 3D, i dont even notice it anymore.    Not sure it's worth the price.

But, I liked the movie.  it was entertaining and pretty cool.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I loved it, it was much more than the trailer promised.

The mimics would kill xenomorphs btw  lets discuss
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Fantastic flick.

Dunno about 3D but it's one of the better movies I've seen in awhile.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The Angel of Verdun...
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:43:08 PM EDT
[#13]
3D is retarded. The movie is excellent. See it in 2D
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#15]
It was the tits.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I watched t on a flight home and when I got home the wife had rented it on Amazon to watch, strange...
It was pretty good, maybe not Serenity good but damm close.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Great flick!!  Definitely worth a rental.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome movie. Just saw it a couple days ago. I hate 3D, so I just watched the regular version. 3D movies make my head hurt.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I was very pleasantly surprised...

I think it would rock in 3D.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
yeah it was good.

as much as i dislike TC, he becomes his characters and isn't tom cruse for 2 hours.
View Quote

Funny, I always thought TC only played one character in all his movies. He's generally a terrible actor, it's only when he's playing TC is he any good.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Good movie. I was cracking up every time he screamed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#22]
IMHO 3D is wasted on a movie with too much action for the eyes to be able to focus.

It works best in slower movies where the visuals are able to stand out.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
yeah it was good.

View Quote

I would agree. He's a wacko in real life, but I still find myself enjoying his movies. He's a good actor IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I saw it in 3d at the theater and thought the 3d was well done.

There is one specific split second scene early on showing a Mimic about to attack that stuck in my mind as a particularly good example.  As close as I have ever come to jerking away from a 3d movie screen.

I saw it once in the theater and then rented it On-Demand this weekend.  

It's a deeper movie than I realized at first.  The science aspect is shaky.  But it's not a Science Fiction movie in the sense that the technology is the focus.

The progression of Col Cage as a fighter and a person is the focus.

Pay special attention to his conversations with Sgt Vrataski as he repeats (both shown and implied) them with her.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
3D is retarded. The movie is excellent. See it in 2D
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I really liked the movie.  Definitely recommend it in whichever dimension of your choice.

Side Rant:

I hate going to theaters, mostly because I hate people who don't want to see the movie.  

They would rather talk, text on a bright-ass smartphone, or blow each other.  It disrupts my cinematic experience.

3D is a technical annoyance, but it does provide a financial filter.  It provides a modicum of insulation for the the folks that want to see the movie, versus the twats that are just trying to spend two hours in the dark, fucking up everyone else's good time.

Best,
JBR

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#27]
it was a love story whit lots of killing
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I'm beginning to feel 3D is overrated.  It's alright and kinda cool but after a while of watching 3D, i dont even notice it anymore.    Not sure it's worth the price.

But, I liked the movie.  it was entertaining and pretty cool.
View Quote

3d is definitely overrated, it's just a gimmick to get more money out of you.

The movie was good.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

IMHO 3D is wasted on a movie with too much action for the eyes to be able to focus.

It works best in slower movies where the visuals are able to stand out.

TRG
View Quote

Very true.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd skip the 3D. It's an awesome movie though and I want to sex Emily Blunt
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I keep hearing over and over again that this movie is "fucking awesome".

View Quote

There's a reason for that
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I watched in in 2D.  Cool movie, wish I caught it in IMAX 3D.  I really enjoy 3D for action movies.  To me, it makes the movie feel more immersive.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I never saw it in 3D, but I thought it was fucking awesome.  

Basically, it's Groundhog Day meets Battle Los Angeles.  What's not to like?!  
View Quote

No naked wimens...
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

It is exactly like a video game. A movie for the gamer generation. You start out a newb. You die quickly over and over again. You remember the patterns, you learn the cheats.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I just watched it a few days back. It was a good movie, but I wasn't extremely impressed either. Lots of action but they didn't do much with the story.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I really liked the movie.  Definitely recommend it in whichever dimension of your choice.

Side Rant:

I hate going to theaters, mostly because I hate people who don't want to see the movie.  

They would rather talk, text on a bright-ass smartphone, or blow each other.  It disrupts my cinematic experience.

3D is a technical annoyance, but it does provide a financial filter.  It provides a modicum of insulation for the the folks that want to see the movie, versus the twats that are just trying to spend two hours in the dark, fucking up everyone else's good time.

Best,
JBR

View Quote

This.

Saw it in theaters myself, thought it was a fantastic flick.  The experience was soured a bit by the couple sitting next to us, they hit literally every single check box in the rude moviegoer checklist.  They talked loudly the entire time, she was constantly texting and even answered her phone on a few occasions, and left a damn mess upon exit.  If I really want to see a movie I'm better served watching it at home.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I dug it.   Tom has been knocking it out of the park lately.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It is exactly like a video game. A movie for the gamer generation. You start out a newb. You die quickly over and over again. You remember the patterns, you learn the cheats.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was merely the mechanics of the movie. The real story was in the character transformation, in how he reclaimed bravery and dignity. The world was literally saved by the power of love to change men for the better.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This.

Saw it in theaters myself, thought it was a fantastic flick.  The experience was soured a bit by the couple sitting next to us, they hit literally every single check box in the rude moviegoer checklist.  They talked loudly the entire time, she was constantly texting and even answered her phone on a few occasions, and left a damn mess upon exit.  If I really want to see a movie I'm better served watching it at home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Side Rant:

Best,
JBR

This.

You guys are doing it wrong.  Go see the movie when it has already been in theaters for a several weeks.  I try to catch them right as they are on the way out.  The audience usually consists of me and whoever I'm with, and maybe one couple.  We sit far apart and never even know the other group is there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That aspect alone makes it sound real interesting.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#43]
no movie is worth seeing in 3D, IMO
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I watched it last night on Pay for View and really enjoyed it.  One of the best movies in a long time.   Groundhog Day meets Starship Trooper, or at least what SST should have been.

Like the Major I would like to transfer some of my bodily fluids to The Angel of Verdun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Pretty good movie. Tom Cruise is one of my favorite actors. All weirdness aside
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Edge of Tomorrow was a great movie.  The story manages to progress just at the point things get tedious, every time.  Groundhog Day got that right as well which is why these movies work.

3D would not help this movie much and might be a distraction.  The only movie I've ever seen where 3D was integral to the experience was Gravity.  That movie was deliberately light on story and heavy on visuals so 3D made sense.  For any movie driven by characters and story... Meh
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#47]
"We've had this conversation before, haven't we?"

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Wish I had that option
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#49]
You guys are doing it wrong.  Go see the movie when it has already been in theaters for a several weeks.  I try to catch them right as they are on the way out.  The audience usually consists of me and whoever I'm with, and maybe one couple.  We sit far apart and never even know the other group is there.
View Quote

That is typically how we do it honestly, I'm getting too ornery to deal with anything approaching a crowd.  But it's a guarantee that my wife and I can be the only people in the theater and have some late arrivals come in and sit right beside of or behind us. Same thing occurs in restaurants and parking lots as well, I'll never understand what compels people to desire this level of closeness when there are a vast number of empty seats to choose from.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Great movie. No need for the 3D.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top